Start by marking “Pursuit: An Inspector Espinosa Mystery” as Want to Read:
Pursuit: An Inspector Espinosa Mystery

Pursuit: An Inspector Espinosa Mystery (Inspector Espinosa #5)

A Rio de Janeiro Thriller

When his daughter disappears and a patient emerges as the prime suspect, a troubled psychiatrist comes to Espinosa for help, in the fifth novel in the beguiling Brazilian crime series

A hospital psychiatrist feels he’s being stalked by a young patient. For as long as possible, he convinces himself that the young man is harmless, but when the do
Published July 9th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pursuit

Newton Nitro
Perseguido (Inspector Espinosa #5) - Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza | Cia das Letras, 2001, 218 páginas | Lido de 16/02/17 a 17/02/17 | Nota 4 em 5

SINOPSE

O psiquiatra de um hospital universitário sente-se perseguido por um jovem paciente. O sentimento de perseguição aumenta a cada dia e passa a ser vivido por outras pessoas ligadas ao médico. Misteriosamente, o paciente desaparece e, depois de alguns meses, é dado como morto.

A essa morte seguem-se outras, sem que se possa determinar quem está sendo pe
Pattie
Apr 15, 2009 Pattie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've been a big fan of the author, and have read all of his other books.

This is the first one that was unsatisfying.

Spoiler:

My favorite mystery of all time, Michael Dibdin's "Dead Lagoon" also leaves parts of its core mystery unsolved, but it is still satisfying. So having everything neatly wrapped-up by the end is not a requirement. But we never really find out what was going on through the whole book, and when you have an omnicient narrator, that's not acceptable. We hear from "Lucas" early
Ruby
Jul 31, 2010 Ruby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up off a friend's book swap pile only because the author is Brazilian, and I don't think I've ever read a Brazilian author.

It's a fantastic, suspenseful thriller about a bookish police chief who gets challenged by a strange psychologist and his obsession with one of his patients. I can't reveal too much without giving anything away, but I read this on one busride between Gyeongju and Incheon. I was on the edge of my bus-seat the whole time and almost jumped out of my (bus) seat on
Margarida
Apr 15, 2014 Margarida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um dos melhores da série. Qual é a fronteira entre a sanidade e a loucura? Cada vez mais denso e a afastar-se do tipo de história (e diálogos) dos primeiros livros. Prova que GR é capaz de se mexer em qualquer cenário e Espinosa continua imbatível.
Bob George
I've worked with some wonderfully astute Psychiatrists and some more suited to sheep farming or antique collecting; but none as inept and poorly portrayed as the main character in this Inspector Espinosa novel. this is the 4th Garcia-Roza novel I have read in this series and so far; Inspector Sepinosa has failed to solve a single crime; he does quite a lot of musing; some introspection; and appears to spend his waking hours planning his next meal or eating it. I suppose there is some interest in ...more
Adriana Fogaça
May 30, 2015 Adriana Fogaça rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Série: Espinosa 05 - Perseguido - Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza
Perseguido
Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza
Espinosa 05
Companhia das Letras
2003

É uma trama psicológica muito bem escrita, onde o autor se supera, neste romance policial o mistério fica no ar.

Este é o terceiro livro do delegado Espinosa que leio e cada vez fico mais impressionada com sua capacidade de percepção da realidade, seu vislumbre imaginativo e do seu raciocínio lógico...

Quer ler a resenha completa e muito mais, visite o blog Momentos da F
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brasil, mystery
Another bizarre plot in the 5th of the Inspector Espinosa series set in Rio de Janeiro.[return][return]A psychiatrist becomes convinced that he is being stalked by a patient. Yet, as the plot unfolds, it isn't clear just who is being stalked and exactly what is happening to the psyciatrist and his family. Espisoa eventually becomes involved in the increasingly bizarre story; he is not the major figure in the stroy but more of a bystander, tangential to the main plot line.[return][return]Very imp ...more
Chris
Apr 21, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-brazil
Another weird psychological thriller that keeps you turning the pages and then is not really resolved clearly at the end. Garcia-Roza could probably write a thriller about paint drying but the ending would surely be fuzzy. I enjoy the character of Espinoza, the book loving detective, who is the honest cop and seems the most unlikely cop. He thinks too much and so does the author. At the end we still don't know who killed who. I guess some cases are just that way.
Daniel Rocha
One of my favorite crime fiction writers and definitely my favorite contemporary Brazilian, there's no question I'm a big fan of Garcia-Roza and his main lead character, detective/police officer Espinosa. Pursuit is a decent book, not one of his best, but it's still a quick entertaining read, as all crime-fiction books should be.
Marty
Jan 09, 2014 Marty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't my favorite of the ones I've read so far in this series. I spent too much time in the head of a deranged murderer (creepy) and didn't get to know other characters very well. Still, I enjoyed it because the plot was interesting and, besides, I've committed to the long haul with detective Espinosa!
Ann Tonks
I wish there was a 2.5 stars position. It's not that I didn't like it. It's just that it wasn't ultimately that interesting or that satisfying. There was a story there that I wanted to know more about (the daughters, the mother) but I never did find out enough to make it worth the read.
Gláucia Renata
Um psiquiatra se vê ameaçado por um paciente, que acaba desaparecendo e o médico passa a ser suspeito. O livro prende a atenção, consegue manter um bom clima de suspense o tempo todo, mas acabei me decepcionando com o final.
Catherine Woodman
I like that this series is set in Brazil, but the totally convoluted plot in this was not satisfying, when all is said and done
Sherree
I doubt I'll read anymore of this series. Garcia-Roza is an excellent writer, and the books are very suspenseful, but the endings are a rea let down for me.
Miguel
Mar 25, 2012 Miguel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brasil, policiário
Excelente policial, cheio de mind games e dissimulações, que tem ainda a vantagem de nos transportar para as ruas de Copacabana e Ipanema.
Rosangela
Rosangela rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2012
Jolie
Jolie rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Wagner
Wagner rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Raydave
Raydave rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Mirella
Mirella rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Rosangela
Rosangela rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2008
Christiano Bastos
Christiano Bastos rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2011
Luci
Luci rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Annelynn Schorzman
Annelynn Schorzman rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Zirk
Zirk rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2012
Aldighno
Aldighno rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2009
Cristiano
Cristiano rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
Jonathas Soares
Jonathas Soares rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2014
Brad James
Brad James rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
Flávia Rocha
Flávia Rocha rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza is a Professor of Philosophy at Rio University in Brazil.

Series:
* Inspector Espinosa
More about Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza...

Inspector Espinosa (9 books)
  • The Silence of the Rain