Start by marking “Légendes d'automne” as Want to Read:
Légendes d'automne

Légendes d'automne

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  6,564 Ratings  ·  318 Reviews
L'intrigue serrée, l'urgence d'une écriture qui déferle comme un torrent sans digue : c'est "Légendes d'automne".

Un ouvrage pour le moins impétueux et vivifiant au travers duquel on devine un auteur qui semble s'être jeté dans l'écriture en réponse à un sentiment impérieux, à une nécessité.

De la même manière, l'intensité de la violence est telle que l'on pressent les écor
Mass Market Paperback, 287 pages
Published January 1st 1985 by 10/18 (first published 1979)

Eric
Feb 09, 2013 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly unlike the movie – but no better. The movie might be better. (The last time I saw it I was high and I was very entertained imagining digressive counter-films about Col. Ludlow’s embittered back story and virginal Samuel’s “poetic” friendships with other Cambridge aesthetes and the homosexual or simply compensatory motivation of his avidity to enlist. And Anthony Hopkins looks badass in a buffalo robe.) For one, the movie has a better structure. Hollywood's usually harmful compression and ...more
Colleen O'Neill Conlan
Sep 17, 2012 Colleen O'Neill Conlan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
My copy is a post-movie paperback, complete with Brad Pitt's young mug looming over a Montana skyline, and gives no clue, even on the jacket copy, that this is actually a collection of three unrelated novellas. I like the form: these feel almost epic in scope, just not in length.

I love Harrison's writing, rather solemn, almost elegiac. His imagery is poetic but unsentimental, which makes sense, since he's also published numerous volumes of poetry. All three stories are told in the third person,
Tony
Nov 21, 2013 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u-s-lit, jim-harrison
These three novellas are certainly cinematic. Which might explain the Legends of the Fall movie, something I've managed to miss to this point. Suffice it to say, there are Mexican warlords, drug smugglers, bootleggers, and the general unhinged. Each of the three stories ends with a climatic scene where the protagonist will murder, be murdered or just shake hands. I don't care. Jim Harrison's my guy.

Revenge: 4/5
Perhaps this can be summarized in one sentence: The morning before Mauro and his daugh
Jun 04, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: montana-setting
This is a collection of 3 short stories/novellas. Legends of the Fall is by far a 5 star read. The other two are 3.5-4 star reads. Legends of the Fall is what drew me to this read. If you have seen the movie, all the players are there, but the plot is arranged a little differently. 5 stars to the movie and 5 stars to the short story knowing each are a little different from each other.
Jeremy
Jan 28, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-fiction
I've heard positive things about Harrison for years, but much as I wanted to enjoy this trio of novellas I found myself disappointed. While he is capable of turning a beautiful, poetic sentence now and again, Harrison's stories seem obsessed with summarizing instead of actually narrating. He tells you everything everyone is doing and everything they ever have done, ad infinitum. There is no sense of immediacy here, of the present moment unfolding in any significant or meaningful way. He tells yo ...more
Chris
Sep 14, 2007 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this after Kate and Conrad had a bit of a disagreement over Harrison a few weeks back. I realized I'd never read anything by him, so I picked up this collection of three novellas (unfortunately graced with Brad Pitt and the rest of the movie cast).

At first I disliked it, but then I realized that was because I had expected something else -- I was expecting something more along the lines of McCarthy, and Harrison lacks all the southern gothic Faulknerian pretensions that I love i
Barnabas Piper
Jan 26, 2017 Barnabas Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love His Writing style

Harrison has such a sharp, incisive, minimal style. He uses metaphor as well as anyone I've read. And, while he has a dark view of humanity it rings true in many ways. Loved this book.
Travis Fortney
Jul 22, 2012 Travis Fortney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Montana fiction, which is quickly becoming my favorite little sub-genre. I want to read it all.

I love the movie starring Brad Pitt based on the first novella in this book. I've thought about why I love that movie. I think it's the idea that a man can win a woman's heart without talking to her, instead simply going out to the pasture and breaking a wild horse while she's watching, letting the horse brutalize you a bit in the process. Of course it doesn't hurt to look like Brad Pitt. I also
Sarah Anne
This book had three short stories in it. The title story was the third in the collection and was really quite different from the movie. It wasn't a particularly compelling story unless you want to look at it as only being about Tristan's character. And madness. There were several mad people in that one.

The second story, The Man who Gave Up His Name, was my least favorite as the character was quite nauseating. And I never understood the significance of the title.

The first story was the gem of thi
TK421
Apr 01, 2010 TK421 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
Certain stories stay with you long after you've read the book. LENGENDS OF THE FALL is a perfect example. (And not because my wife has a crush on Brad Pitt, I'm giving all the credit to Jim Harrison.)

I read this book almost five years ago and I can still recall almost every moment of the story. The feelings of the vast wilderness, both geographically and spiritually, that the characters have to roam about makes me suffer both claustrophobia and agoraphobia simultaneously.

A plot synopsis is poi
Христо Блажев
Легенди за страстта, легенди за мъжете, които взимат това, което пожелаят: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/l...

Три много мъжки творби са събрани зад тая уестърн-корица. Вероятно повечето хора ще се присетят за филма, аз лично не съм го гледал и четох с чист ум – и мисля, че “Легенди за страстта” е силна, но следващата повест – “Мъст”, е дваж по-силна според мен. Третата – “Човекът, който се отказа от своето име” – ми допадна пък с вглъбеността си, с пространния вътрешен монолог, който само
Ali
Apr 17, 2007 Ali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
The movie was passionate, enthralling, and unforgetable. The book, a 100 page short story tucked between the covers with other equally poorly written short stories, is boring, confusing, and disappointing. How anyone ever wrote a screenplay as good as the movie from this short story is beyond me. That person deserves a medal of some sort.
Paul
Mar 16, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I think what's really remarkable about Harrison, which, this is only the second collection of three novellas of his that I've read, but each of his pieces are so rich, and but also so varied from one another. The first in this concerns a bloody story of revenge on the Mexico/U.S. border, the second concerns a middleaged executive somewhere near New York, and the third is set in Montana at the time of and after the first world war. And that third novella, Legends of the Fall, is insane. Eighty-fi ...more
Diane
Feb 25, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains three novellas, the last one being the title story. Jim Harrison has been one of my favorite authors for years. He lives in and writes about Michigan in his stories and poetry, capturing the untamed nature of parts of that land. The Legends of the Fall was made into a pretty powerful movie a few years ago, but the story itself is even more powerful. However, the other two stories, "Revenge," and "The Man Who Gave up His Name," are also quite intense. In fact, I couldn't "Reven ...more
Pep Bonet
May 07, 2016 Pep Bonet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book to read! Its narrative is completely different of anything usual, the characters are lovely, walking the thin line between law and nature, the stories evolve in peculiar ways, the sentences are beautiful and the natural spaces (especially in the first and third novellas) are just mind-blowing. A real pleasure to read.
Ricky Orr
Dec 25, 2011 Ricky Orr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contained 3 novellas: Revenge, The Man Who Gave Up His Name,and Legends of the Fall.

The first story was about an American who fell in love with the wife of a Mexican drug czar, and eventually paid a significant price in return.

The second story was about a successful businessman who grew apart from his wife after 20 or so years of marriage. Not only did he give up his name, he gave away his wealth and former lifestyle, and redefined himself.

The final story, Legends of the Fall, was very
Chris Deaton
Sep 29, 2016 Chris Deaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to imagine how any person who ever said this was Harrison's masterpiece is incorrect. The title novella gets all the attention, and it's deserving -- but "Revenge", a self-explanatory and taut story, and the unpredictable "The Man Who Gave Up His Name" make this a complete work. The quality of the prose is peerless, and the depth of the storytelling ought to make writers who can't get to the point quicker envious. It's memorable stuff on first read, but worth rereading for anyone who a ...more
Darren
It's hard to find stories of the Great War which touch on it more than tangentially. This novella is no exception. This was very Hemingway, in the carefully simple sentences, in race or nationality seemingly as fitting as a name -The Mexican, The Cree... Also in the romance of the unpolished, the uncivilized. The wild. It made me crave strong coffee cooked over an open fire, pine needles and ash in it. Whiskey from Alberta. The millionth dark wave of the ocean. What it didn't do was involve me w ...more
Dianne Ferguson
Oct 20, 2012 Dianne Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just a movie! This is a trilogy of short novels--a form that Jim Harrison often uses. I refer to him as our greatest living American novelist. Legends of the Fall is the title novella but this book also contains "Revenge" (also made into one of my favorite movies with Kevin Costner) and "The Man Who Gave Up His Name."
Elizabeth
Read this right after Dubus's "In the Bedroom" collection. Amazing similarities between the two. Tone and character and pacing. "Revenge" and "The Man Who Gave Up His Name" are amazing stories/novellas.
B. R. Reed
Aug 26, 2016 B. R. Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I much enjoy Harrison's writing. I enjoyed the three stories in the this book but I seemed to be expecting a little more from the final story, Legends of the Fall. However, it is rather amazing that he could pack so much in doing a short novella.
Abdo Karamallah
Jul 22, 2015 Abdo Karamallah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy... or they become legend. ”
Chrissie
Oct 10, 2007 Chrissie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great one. even for jim harrison who write a lot of great ones. and i can't complain about brad pitt on the cover.
Sarah R
Feb 01, 2010 Sarah R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could only give this two stars because it was so short that I felt like I was reading a synopsis of the movie. They took an OK book and turned it into an amazing movie.
Robin Goodfellow
Stunningly good. You must read this.

"Harrison became a novelist after he fell off a cliff while bird hunting." - per Wikipedia

Bud Smith
Nov 06, 2016 Bud Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of adventure. Read this on an airplane, stuck in the middle seat between two people who hated my guts from the second I arrived. Anyways! Lush prose, mostly.
Corina
May 10, 2015 Corina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what an incoherent mess
David
Dec 31, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three great novellas!
Nick Miller
Jun 11, 2013 Nick Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good to be Harrison. And Harrison is very Harrison here.
Shelley Schanfield
Simply one of the best books I've read.

The three novellas contained in this book—"Revenge," "The Man Who Gave Up His Name," and "Legends of the Fall"—are all so different in theme and tone, but each one is a little masterpiece.

"Revenge" is a thriller, a love story, an ode to the desert, and opens with one of the best hooks I've come across: "You could not tell if you were a bird descending (and there was a bird descending, a vulture) if the naked man was dead or alive." The way in which Harriso
Books2Movies Club: Legends of the Fall 5 36 Nov 02, 2014 04:37AM
Jim Harrison's fascinating protagonists 1 6 Oct 20, 2013 07:23AM
  • The Professional
  • A Sense of Where You Are: Bill Bradley at Princeton
  • Going Native
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Affliction
  • A Sport and a Pastime
  • Braveheart
  • So Long, See You Tomorrow
  • Dog Soldiers
Jim Harrison was born in Grayling, Michigan, to Winfield Sprague Harrison, a county agricultural agent, and Norma Olivia (Wahlgren) Harrison, both avid readers. He married Linda King in 1959 with whom he has two daughters.

His awards include National Academy of Arts grants
More about Jim Harrison...

“If you added it up, without her there was nothing--but with her even the simplest of gestures of walking a bird dog in the desert, or selecting the ingredients for a meal for two rather than one took on an ineffable charm.

(from the novella, Revenge)”
21 likes
“His own life suddenly seemed repellently formal. Whom did he know or what did he know and whom did he love? Sitting on the stump under the burden of his father's death and even the mortality inherent in the dying, wildly colored canopy of leaves, he somehow understood that life was only what one did every day.... Nothing was like anything else, including himself, and everything was changing all of the time. He knew he couldn't perceive the change because he was changing too, along with everything else.

(from the novella, The Man Who Gave Up His Name)
18 likes