Start by marking “It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)

It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides #3.5)

Can happily ever after begin with one Christmas kiss?

When Oliver Townsende escapes to his friend’s house for a Christmas party, he intends to avoid the hordes of marriage-minded misses who have been dogging his steps in London ever since he inherited a dukedom. He soon learns a bit of Yuletide peace and quiet is too much to ask for. When he encounters Miss Cerian Blake, wh
Published October 29th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about It Happened Under the Mistletoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Happened Under the Mistletoe

Melanie
Oct 29, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I can read Valerie Bowman’s books anytime, anywhere! I tune everything and everyone out when I read her books. She writes funny, sensual and romantic characters so well that they feel like my friends. By the time I reach the end of the book, I hate to leave my new friends. I want to stay just a bit longer among them…

This novella was too short for me, yet it packed a punch and accomplished so much within the confines of a ‘novella’.

I have no doubt that you’ll love the hero as much as the heroine.
Miranda
 photo beauty7_zpsfe6980ca.gif

This is such a great novella! I really love reading anything by Valerie Bowman. These characters are written with such wonderful personalities that you are automatically drawn to them. The secondary characters are fantastic all on their own. I couldn't get enough of this story. It was short, sweet, and left me wanting more.
An absolutely a fabulous read.
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This was a nice light easy read historical romance novella... It only took me a couple hours to read.

A 22 y/o girl is invited to a week long party at her cousins house. She is trying to thwart some men's attention & hides. A gorgeous man ducks into the silver closet to avoid some overly anxious maiden's attention. The silver closet is otherwise occupied by a beautiful & funny woman.

Together they hatch a plan to thwart their admirers.

This was a nice sweet light romance. It was worth th
Cerian
Aug 05, 2013 Cerian rated it it was amazing
Originally given 4.5 hearts at Rookie Romance.

N'awwww, this is a very sweet holiday romance. I really enjoy Valerie Bowman's books, and this is no exception.

Oliver is charming and handsome, but is struggling with his newly inherited dukedom. The debutantes haunt his every step and he's despairing about whether he could find a wife who would want him for him. I really liked Oliver, he's very sweet and melted my heart.
Cerian is fun, a little bit mischievous and true to herself. She is having a se
Tammy
Cerian is suddenly wealthy and Oliver is suddenly a Duke, and those things are making them highly sought after on the marriage market. After meeting at a holiday party in a silver closet where they were hiding from unwanted suitors they come up with a plan to pretend to be courting in order to be left alone. Of course neither one of them counts on falling in love.

Bowman writes with a great deal of humor. I adored the banter between all the characters and especially between Cerian and Oliver. Whi
Limau Nipis
3.5 stars!

I find this novella delightful and not pretending at all.
Love the chemistry between the hero and heroine. In fact, it is much better than some of the historical romance that I have read, even though this is just a novella.

Oliver and Cerian want to break free from the pursuing suitors of the ton who thinks about snagging them for marriages.

I find both characters are intelligent and funny.

A highly recommended quick read!
Natalie
Nov 01, 2015 Natalie rated it liked it
Another cute Christmas novella! I loved Merry the cat bringing Oliver and Cerian together. I really liked Oliver and Cerian's conversations together, they were a well matched pair, full of wit and humor and easy chemistry.
Mary - Buried Under Romance
This is a really sweet and delightful novella of two strangers who, despite wanting to be anywhere else than at this house party, came to meet and fall in love. Also a side surprise of a cute cat who knows more than it shows...:)
*MariaA*
Now this one , I simply adored!!
Jaclyn
Oliver Townsende has just inherited a dukedom, immediately skyrocketing his eligibility on the marriage market. While at a friend’s Christmas party, the young ladies and their matchmaking mamas in attendance immediately and aggressively pursue Oliver. While on the run from one particularly persistent young lady, Oliver encounters Miss Cerian Blake who is avoiding her own admirers. When they both realize they can help one another out, Oliver and Cerian agree to a false courtship to throw off thei ...more
Farrah
Oct 28, 2013 Farrah rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4.5/5

Sweet, light, and a perfect holiday read, It Happened Under the Mistletoe was a lovely historical romance novella. I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book. It's the kind of sweet romance that just makes you smile. I loved this book!

Oliver and Cerian were great character. Both were very likable and I thought they were wonderful. Cerian was lovely, a heroine that was easy to like. Oliver was a total sweetheart. He sure knew how to make a romantic gesture. He was just adorable
Annette
Nov 15, 2013 Annette rated it really liked it
This is a frothy light love story for the holidays.

Cerian and Oliver arrive a a holiday house party and become prey for different reasons.

Cerian is the daughter of a wealthy man. Men who need money are looking at her and her dowry as the answer to a prayer. The fact she is lovely is jut another selling point.

Oliver has recently inherited the title of Duke. Many women would love to become the Duchess to a handsome man. And those women are not afraid to pursue their goal.

Trying to avoid the hunter
Nicole Laverdure
Oct 19, 2013 Nicole Laverdure rated it really liked it
It Happened Under the Mistletoe, written by Valerie Bowman, is a charming and sweet Christmas novella! 4 stars! It's a light holiday novella worth taking the time to enjoy reading! I loved her two characters Oliver, recently titled a Duke and Cerian, a beautiful young lady! Both are invited to the Medford's house to celebrate Christmas in hope that they will find a suitable match to marry. Cerian's mother wants her to wed and secure her future financially. But Cerian only wants to fall in love ...more
Denise Stout
I bought and read this in one sitting. Related to the Secrets trilogy by Valerie Bowman, this is a fun romp at a Christmastide visit throwing Oliver and Cerian together. The first time was by accident as they both hid in silver closet avoiding unwanted suitors. They concoct an idea to throw off the suitors by pretending to be enamored with one another. Throw in a cat who shows up at the most convenient times, and mayhem, adventure, some kissing, and suddenly it's no longer a game. They're perfec ...more
Janet
Nov 03, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
I don't normally read Historical Romance, but this one written by Valerie Bowman is strong enough to make me rethink that decision. This novella was short sweet and spicy. The fact that it is also a Holiday book, makes it that much better.the lead couple, though stubborn, were endearing, and also a bit racy. I found it to be well written, with an actual story, albeit in novella format. The settings were detailed beautifully and really made the story come alive. I would read more in this genre fr ...more
Amanda
Take one magical matchmaking cat, two adorable leads and a very special silver closet and you've got It Happened Under the Mistletoe. I found Valerie Bowman's writing charming if not containing a great amount of depth but then again I was in the mood for a more fluffy, straightforward type of story so it worked well in this case. Here, the plot was sans drama, with Oliver and Cerian's unlikely friendship turned romance at its center, as it should be. I had a big smile on my face throughout so I ...more
Kathy
Aug 02, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
This novella was a delightful combination of kisses, mistletoe, a silver closet, a Duke, a heroine who wants to marry for love and a cat. It was a treat to revisit Medford and Kate also. Time well spent.
Sofia Lazaridou
I can totally see myself or anyone else reading this book on Christmas morning. It's short and sweet and great. I had many warm feelings about the book and I enjoyed it very much.
Kimberly V
Nov 08, 2013 Kimberly V rated it really liked it
A delightful little Christmas tale that will put a smile on your face.
Tiffany
Nov 04, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story. This was the perfect story to start reading for the holidays. I really liked the chemistry between Oliver and Cerian. And I wish I had a silver closet!
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

It Happened Under the Mistletoe is probably the last story in Secret Brides series, and it's Kate's decease husband's cousin (talk about a mouthful). Well, Oliver Townsende inherits the dukedom after the murder of his cousin. Lucky him. Now he's the newly minted Duke of Markingham, and the most sought after eligible gentleman. Again, lucky him. Now he's trying to ward off the advances of Lady Selina who can't take no for an answer, when he stumbles upon Miss Cerian Blak
Marlena Smith
Dec 09, 2013 Marlena Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful holiday novella. We are introduced to two main characters, Oliver Townsende and Cerian Blake. Both of which are having difficulty fighting off the opposite sex. Oliver recently inherited a dukedom, so ladies are after him for the title and the money that comes with it. While Cerian has an interfering mother, that is bound and determined to find her a proper mate. Neither of them are interested in these suitors, so they devise a plan. They fake a courtship to keep their suitor ...more
Sandy
Aug 25, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it
A very quick read, and I'm a slow reader - but that wasn't a bad thing. The pace was good. I really enjoyed the banter between the two main characters and felt they had chemistry. She had descriptions that made you feel that you were there in that time period without bogging things down with too many details. There was a steamy scene near the end that felt a bit out of place for me and Cerian's reaction to it also didn't quite work for me - part of why I gave it 4 stars - but it wasn't a deal br ...more
Maura
Sep 27, 2015 Maura rated it really liked it
Amy Alvis
Oct 04, 2014 Amy Alvis rated it it was amazing
Running from a marriage minded miss, Oliver Townsende dashes into the silver closet only to find another person hiding. Miss Cerian Blake is hiding from men seeking her hand only for the dowry she brings. The two of them concoct a plan to thwart their admirers, they act like they are interested in each other. What happens when their acting becomes all too real?

I thoroughly enjoyed Bowman's short story. She got me to believe that these two could have fallen in love in such a short amount of time.
Maria
Oct 29, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it
Note: I read this in ePUB format, so page references may differ.

Well, it’s official. I have now read newcomer Valerie Bowman's entire backlist and her wonderfully charming, funny, and cheeky stories. This was book #3.5 in her Secret Brides’ series.

Oliver Townsende, the Duke of Markingham, was mentioned briefly in the third book, Secrets of a Scandalous Marriage. He was cousin to Kate, the doomed duchess who was accused of murdering her older husband. Oliver was the heir to the dukedom after her
Jessica
I realized, too late, that I could have bought the two best stories from "Christmas Brides" separately, which would have saved me having to read the ridiculous Enoch one.

But I digress.

Oliver and Cerian (I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce this name, but it seems lovely.) were so easy to root for. The ending was perfect and mushy, with nice comeuppance for a nasty side character.

Recommended. :)
Tamra Baumann
Nov 29, 2013 Tamra Baumann rated it it was amazing
IT HAPPENED UNDER THE MISTLETOE, a charming novella by Valerie Bowman, was simply a pleasure to read. The hero and heroine, an unlikely pair, meet while both are avoiding over-eager suitors. With help in the form of a little feline persuasion, and well placed boughs of mistletoe, this delightful pair find true love. I eagerly await Bowman’s next book, THE UNEXPECTED DUCHESS coming out at the end of April.
Jess
Dec 10, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
"3.5 out of 5 stars! Two people are looking for the same thing in finding a spouse ... a love match but, because of their inheritances, it's hard to find that certain person who is being true ... that is until they meet each other."

Read more of this review and a teaser here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2013/12/made-grade-secret-brides-series-book-35.html
Lynne
Jan 04, 2017 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
THIS WAS HOLIDAY CATNIP.

House party. Bored Viscount. New to the ton country relative. Trapped in a silver closet because they are both fleeing over-eager suitors.

And. They. Fall. In. Love. With. Each. Other's. BRAINS.

Good banter, quick action that doesn't feel too quick for a novella. LOVED IT.

:ded:
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • Christmas Brides
  • Brody (Circle Eight, #2)
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • The Rogue's Proposal (House of Trent, #2)
  • The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • The Bride Says No (The Brides of Wishmore, #1)
  • In Love with a Wicked Man
  • How to Entice an Enchantress (The Duchess Diaries, #3)
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • How to Tame Your Duke (A Princess In Hiding, #1)
  • Wyoming Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #2)
  • The Devil of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #1)
Valerie Bowman is an award-winning author who writes Regency-set historical romance novels aka Racy Regency Romps!

Valerie’s debut novel was published in 2012. Since then, her books have received starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and Kirkus. She’s been an RT Reviewers’ Choice nominee for Best First Historical Romance and Best Historical Romance Love and Laughter. Two of her books h
More about Valerie Bowman...

Secret Brides (3 books)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides, #2)
  • Secrets of a Scandalous Marriage (Secret Brides, #3)