Start by marking “Mio, My Son” as Want to Read:
Mio, My Son

Mio, My Son

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,968 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
With help from a genie, young Karl Anders Nilsson travels by day and night, beyond the stars, to reach Farawayland. There, his father the King, who has been searching for him for nine long years, tells him his true name is Mio, and lavishes upon him the loving attention he never received from his foster parents back in Stockholm. Mio learns of a prophecy that has been fore ...more
Published December 31st 2003 by Purple House Press (first published 1954)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonHunger by Knut Hamsun
Best Scandinavian and Nordic Literature
56th out of 907 books — 941 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg LarssonPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenMio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren
Swedish authors
5th out of 268 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Mohammed
This is story-wise pretty straightforward and simple fairy tale,fantasy but the writing was of higher level. Since this is the the first time i have read Astrid Lindgren i didnt know what to expect. It was written in a epic poetry like prose that made the story much more interesting,fantastical and imaginative. Her storytelling techniques was clear to see what she was trying to do.

In hindsight its better i read this as an adult where i could see clearly what the writing, the prose style was doin
MizzSandie
This is one of the first books I ever read on my own. And I have read it many times since. It's very dark and sad, but there's a glimmer of hope shining as a bright star on the night sky. It's beautiful and it touches and tears at my heart everytime I read it.
I guess it's classified as a childrens book, but really it's an 'for every age' book. Adults as well as children will be moved by this story. I know for myself, this is one of the books I will never outgrow and which will never lose it's ab
Miriam
Apr 04, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, younger
Easter was the perfect time to read this.
bakanekonomama
Jul 04, 2013 bakanekonomama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasi, anak-anak
Di zaman dahulu kala, tapi tidak terlalu dahulu, hiduplah seorang anak laki-laki bernama Mio. Mio adalah putra mahkotadari Negeri Nun Jauh. Sebuah negeri yang tidak akan bisa kau bayangkan dimana letaknya, karena sangat jauh dan tak akan bisa kau jangkau. Pangeran Mio hidup bahagia bersama ayahnya sang raja... Tapi itu sekarang, karena sebelumnya Pangeran Mio hidup menderita, meski tidak terlalu merana, dan jauh dari ayahnya.

Mari kita mundur sejenak. Sebelum ini, belum ada orang yang bernama Pa
Cecilia
3.5 stjärnor Söt bok! <3
Lynette
Feb 24, 2012 Lynette rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Maybe I'm biased because I loved the movie when I was a kid. Maybe the translation that I read is really bad. Or maybe I'm just way too old for a book written for such young kids. Whatever the reason, I really didn't understand what was so great about this book, and I'm disappointed. Ever since I was a kid, I've been looking for this book, and never could order it or anything. I remembered it a little while ago, and was able to order it on Amazon.

It felt so flat to me. I felt no connection to Mi
Lia Ung
Jun 05, 2015 Lia Ung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lia by: Lott
*4.5

Trots att jag växte upp med Astrid Lindgren, och trots att jag stött på mycket från Mio, min Mio, som riddar Kato och rosenträdgården, så hade jag aldrig tidigare varken läst den eller sett filmen. Jag har dessutom alltid blandat ihop den en del med Bröderna Lejonhjärta, så jag var väldigt glad över att läsa den till slut och reda ut alltihop (och jag var väldigt glad när jag insåg att ingen faktiskt dog i slutet, vilket jag hade fått för mig just på grund av Bröderna Lejonhjärta).

Berättelse
Jackie
Bis zu seinem neunten Lebensjahr wusste Mio nicht, dass er Mio heisst. Er wusste auch nicht, dass sein Vater ein König ist. Nein, denn er wuchs bei seiner Tante und seinem Onkel auf, welche ihn nicht mochten und sich kaum um ihn kümmerten. Eines Tages jedoch rettet Mio einen Geist aus einer Flasche und wird von diesem daraufhin ins Land der Ferne gebracht, dem Königreich seines Vaters. Endlich wird er geliebt, erlebt viele Abenteuer, und rettet das Land sogar vor dem bösen Ritter Kato.

Die Geschi
☪Fantasia♥☯♥Love♥Magic☮
I've read Mio, mein Mio in German and so maybe the translation wasn't always perfect.

But for me, I thought Mio was a bit of an annoying character and sometimes also just so repetitive! He was almost constantly bringing up the past and how 'they' (his ex best friend and step parents) should see him now on his beautiful horse. And he did similar things like that throughout the book and that annoyed me a bit.

What are the good parts of this story? The courage that Mio finally found at the end of t
Thunder
Aug 30, 2012 Thunder rated it did not like it
This is probably one of the most boring book I've ever read!
I think it would be nice to read for your small children as a bedtime story but not for anything else. I had to read the whole book since it was a school thing and I died of boredom several times while reading it. Then everytimne I died Mio came and resurrected me ,and I died again, and he resurrected me, and i died and so on...
Nothing really happens in the book except Mio riding around with his extremely annoying friend Jum-Jum!
Don't r
Riana
Feb 25, 2011 Riana rated it it was amazing
if you have not read this - read it.

it is such a beautiful, heartwarming, dramatic, and sad story about courage and hope, about the good standing up against evil.

the style is simple enough to be accessible for children, but poetic enough to be enjoyed by adults. and i even think that this is one of few books by astrid lindgren that can be appreciated more by adults than children.
Sanne
Apr 07, 2013 Sanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you know that Harry Potter's invisibility cloke was actually owned by a nine year old boy from Sweden called Karl Anders Nilsson? I did, and it was invented by Astrid Lindgren. "Mio, my son" is a touching story about courage and nature, which, as Lindgren's other books show, works every single time.
Rana Heshmati
Feb 28, 2014 Rana Heshmati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rana by: Masoomeh Tavakoli
Shelves: رمان
باشکوه بود و رویائی. قشنگ بود.
زیبا و دلانگیز بود.
و دوستش داشتم. دوستش داشتم :}
ممنونم از خانم توکلی جانم :)
Jaro
Feb 23, 2016 Jaro rated it it was amazing
Children
Jo Bennie
Dec 02, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l
Karl Anders Nilson, known as Andy, is a lonely boy. An orphan, he lives in Stockholm with his foster parents, Aunt Hulda who wanted a boy and Uncle Olaf who thinks Andy makes too much noise. His only friend is Ben, but they sometimes fight. The only person who is kind to him is Mrs Lundy from the sweet shop. But then one day Aunt Hulda, after telling Andy yet again that the day he came to their house was an unlucky one, is given a card to post by Mrs Lundy and an apple that turns to gold. The ca ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: calliope
Sometimes my book reviews require some story telling as set up. This is one of these posts. Scroll down if you don't want to wallow in my nostalgia.

When I was a child I wanted to be Pipi Longstocking's next door neighbor. I figured I wasn't cool enough or strong enough to live on my own, eat nails and carry a horse with my bare hands but I sure wanted a friend who could! I read everyone of Astrid Lindgren's Pipi books and watched all the poorly dubbed movies more times than I can count.

But someh
Elle
Jun 18, 2012 Elle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-young
This was a book that left a great impression on me when I read it as a child. I thought it was very engaging and could not put it down. I have not read it in a very long time and cannot remember the details of the book, however it did leave so big an impression that I still remember the general story and even where I was the first time I read it.
This book is also excellent for reading aloud and share the impression with other family members. Just like The Brothers Lionheart by the same author t
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jun 02, 2011 Cathy (cathepsut) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
One of my all-time favourite books. I liked the Pippi Longstocking stories, but this is by far my best loved Astrid Lindgren novel.

If you like books for young adults and fairytales and/or fantasy, I can recommend this highly. I think the world she builds in this is beautiful and I still remember parts of this book vividly, although it has been a very long time since I read it.
Agewen Stifford
May 13, 2016 Agewen Stifford rated it did not like it
As a fan of Astrid Lindgren, this book is so so so much disappointing. Like cmon,

Mio was separated from his father, and his father is A KING? How's that possible? His father says he always missed him, in every single night! AND THEN WHY DON'T YOU FIND YOUR SON? HE IS MISERABLE OUT THERE!!

The plot is much like this:
oh hi I'm bo, I'm an orphan but a couple adopted me, and sadly they didn't like me and hoping a step daughter instead of me. But, a friend of mine has an awesome dad! oh, I was i had
Mark
What I enjoyed most about this book was not its simple story – since I’m too old for this kind of books, ha! – but its cute, adoring and nostalgia-revoking illustrations that accompany it. Recommended for children.
Spigana
Uz citu Lindgrēnes grāmatu fona šī šķiet visai melnbalta un straightforward, tomēr stāsts ir skaists, pie kam lasāms divējādi - vai nu kā skaista pasaka, vai kā trausli vientuļa zēna sapņi.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
Oct 14, 2010 Hirosasazaki Sasazaki rated it it was amazing
This story contains some folk essence and Lindgren's imagination. Beautiful fantasy and I was about to cry when I found how the king, Mio's father loves his son. Ending was also good.
Linn Amalie
Mar 06, 2010 Linn Amalie rated it it was amazing
I think I've read this book ten times, and it's one of my all time favourites.
Shere
Jul 09, 2009 Shere rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood books.
Becky
Here's how Mio, My Son begins: "Did you listen to the radio on October 15th last year? Did you hear the news about a boy who disappeared? This is what it said: 'Police in Stockholm are searching for a nine-year-old boy missing from his home, at 13 North Street, since 6.P.M. two days ago. Karl Anders Nilsson has light hair and blue eyes. At the time of his disappearance he was wearing brown shorts, a gray sweater, and a small red cap. Anyone with more information on his whereabouts should contact ...more
Hazel
Aug 03, 2015 Hazel rated it it was amazing
Земята накрай света
Прочетох "Мили мой Мио" от Астрид Линдгрен едва сега, заедно с Рада, която сигурно я възприе съвсем различно от мен. Така и трябва. Някои заблуди е добре да не се разсейват още на 7. Нека отложи неверието си колкото се може повече. You want to be fooled, както се казваше в прекрасния филм "Престижът", за който може и да напиша, ако дойде ред.

И аз искам да бъда излъгана. Искам да вярвам, че Босе, момчето без родители, отглеждано без обич в приемно семейство, отпътува с помощта
Marilyn
Jun 20, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mio, My Son is a children's book by Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren. It was first published in 1954 in Sweden, with the Swedish title Mio, min Mio. The writing is stylised and the story strongly reminiscent of traditional fairy tales and folklore. Wikipedia
Published: 1954
Adaptations: Mio in the Land of Faraway (1987)

Nine-year-old Karl Anders Nilsson is an orphaned boy who is fostered by a mean couple who really wanted a girl but settled for him. His mother died at birth and nobody even bothered t
Anastasia aka Taurendil
I read this for my brother as a bedtime story. It took quite long but it was an interesting journey. This was the first time I was reading the book, and it's one of those I've always wanted to read. That's done now.
We both liked the book. There was enough adventure for a little boy and something pretty and the love between most people that I liked. It had some darker themes too, but in Lindgren's way written in a story so that it comes naturally also for children.
This reminded me of, first of al
Бранимир Събев
"Стисках меча, придържах наметката и тичах колкото ми крака държаха към залата на рицаря Като.
Навсякъде, във всички зали, по всички стълбища и коридори имаше съгледвачи, които стояха на стража. Големият черен замък гъмжеше от черни съгледвачи. Но те не ме виждаха. Нито ме чуваха. И аз ги подминавах, устремен към залата на рицаря Като.
Вече не се страхувах. Никога не съм се чувствал толкова безстрашен. Нямах нищо общо с онзи Мио, дето правеше колиби в Розовата градина и си играеше на Острова на зе
Jennifer DeJonghe
May 31, 2012 Jennifer DeJonghe rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I read this book aloud to my almost 5 year old son a chapter at a time and we both enjoyed it. My son got nervous at some parts - he gets worried when reading about bad guys and Sir Kato in the book is very very bad - but he did want to keep on reading and says he "really liked it". There were dark parts, and discussion of death and evil, but nothing worse than is in a typical folktale or the Wizard of Oz. I really liked how Mio and his friend Pompoo were portrayed as scared and nervous, but als ...more
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Der kleine Wassermann
  • Mormor og de åtte ungene i skogen (Eight Children, #2)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • ...och de vita skuggorna i skogen (Skuggserien, #2)
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus & Pettson)
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Gummi-Tarzan
  • Karius und Baktus
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...