Start by marking “If... (If..., #1)” as Want to Read:
If...  (If..., #1)

If... (If... #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  441 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Published December 7th 1995 by Teach Yourself Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about If..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If...

Marilyn
Nov 11, 2015 Marilyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-china, 2015
This will be absolutely Indispensible to any teacher of conversational English and a heck of a lot of fun at a dinner party too.
Tapi Bachteler
The book is definitely interesting. Its nothing like I have ever read. Instead of having a traditional story the book takes on a different approach. The whole contents of the book is questions. Generally most of them are easy to answer then you come across the one or two mind boggling ones. For example, "If you had to choose the single most valuable thing you ever learned what would it be?" The book is very straight forward and short containing only 129 pages.The book is the first of three. The ...more
The Reading Countess
Feb 28, 2010 The Reading Countess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Publisher's Summary: In an elegant, two-color format, punctuated with intriguing drawings, If . . . poses hundreds of questions ranging from practical to maddening, moral to hilarious--which, if read alone, inspire self-exploration; if shared, spark fascinating discussions at gatherings, dinner parties, or meetings.
************************************************************************
Dr. Teri Lesesne mentioned this book at a workshop I went to recently. This is the first in a series of IF boo
Debbie
Sep 28, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: Nannette Roach
Whether you are attempting to strike up an interesting conversation with friends or using this book as a tool for introspective look at yourself, it is brilliantly done. The book (and subsequent editions are filled with challenging and intriguing questions to take you beyond the small talk of everyday life.
Lindsay
Mar 15, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some creepy questions...... some i didn't want to think about and other that i knew the answers to right away without much thought.....this was an interesting read.
Carmen Cerevisiae
Apr 27, 2016 Carmen Cerevisiae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you remove all the "who would you sleep with" questions, this is a good way to entertain kids on a long car ride.
Katherine
It's a great ice breaker and it's so simple, I could have written it myself and made millions! I also recommend it to many parents at my school when they're stuck trying to figure out topics for their kids to write about. One great prompt is "If you were stuck on an island, what three things would you bring and why?." I also advice them to sit down and write with their children then share- that way, they're doing something fun together, they're sharing about each other and the kids are practicin ...more
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bring this book on just about every trip I take with a group. It transforms car rides and hotel lobbies and really gets people to open up by giving them permission to ask and answer hard questions that someone else has written down. I add a rule that when a question asks for a person's name, the answer must be someone everyone in the group knows (so you can't make up a best friend in second grade who may be your role model but doesn't tell the group anything about you).
Jeannette
May 07, 2009 Jeannette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeannette by: Reb
Shelves: philosophy
This is a good conversation/game starter. Here are some fun examples:

If you could kill the pet of anybody you know, whose pet would it be?

If you could relive one single day fom your past exactly as it was the first time, what day would you choose to experience all over again?

If you could realize a dream that you have had while asleep, what dream would you pick?
Renee
Aug 21, 2007 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends getting to know each other
Shelves: topshelf
This is a BLAST! It's a great way to break the ice. Consider questions you never would have asked yourself, or others for that matter. I got this book from a very dear old friend, born in England, lived in Scotland, and nurtured us here in the states. My favorite thing to do is to sit around a campfire passing the book around and posing the question, "IF..."
Robin Conley
Aug 14, 2013 Robin Conley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be a great party game. The questions throughout vary from ones you can answer quickly to ones that would really make you think. Either way, it'd be fun to use this with a group and get discussions going, as well as to see what your friends would say. Definitely could start a few interesting conversations.
Carol Hardesty
It started out interesting enough. But as it went along, the questions kept seeming to repeat themselves. It wasn't quite the thought-provoking read I had hoped it would be. If anything, this book is a conversation piece.
Courtney Klein
Dec 20, 2013 Courtney Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a great way to start a conversation or get to know someone. There are some repetitive sounding questions though and some of the questions are a bit far stretched to be appropriate for many situations (sex/murder).
Alyssa
I've had this book in my collection for years and have absolutly loved it.

So many questions make for: a great converation starter, a great group question/answer book or a great road-trip book.

angrykitty
May 06, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random-info-misc
this is a great "what if" game book....duh. it's the title. these are more serious though and are not the "if you could do it with a golden girl..." type what ifs.
Jan 25, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a good one to take on road trips. we took it on our long drive to florida and the questions sparked some interesting conversations!
Kevin
Mar 19, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you were an insect, which one would you be. That sort of questions. Fun stuff. Icebreaker kind of questions.
Brian Sturtz
May 07, 2008 Brian Sturtz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A set of books that started my relationship with my wife while on RA staff at BGSU. Still on the shelf!
Christina
May 17, 2007 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun for dinner parties of any size or long tortuous car trips!
Victoria
Aug 29, 2007 Victoria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and students
I used to use these "if" statements to start conversation in the classroom.
Soul-jurney
Oct 05, 2008 Soul-jurney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful thought provoking book for the whole family
Don Gubler
Intriguing and revealing questions to ask yourself or others.
Adrian
Jul 30, 2010 Adrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Classic party game and way to get know people you think you know...
Camille
Dec 04, 2008 Camille rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book! It never gets old.
Karen
Aug 08, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a fun book to use to journal with.
Erin
Sep 28, 2009 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book w/ interesting questions--best if read w/ others!
Amber
Sep 14, 2010 Amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very dumb
Rachel Rost
Rachel Rost rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Philip
Philip added it
Aug 20, 2016
Fiona Tusaba
Fiona Tusaba marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
  • The Book of Questions
  • The Complete Book of Questions: 1001 Conversation Starters for Any Occasion
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Creative Thinkering: Putting Your Imagination to Work
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • The CollegeHumor Guide to College
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • If Life Is a Game, These Are the Rules
  • Fat, Broke & Lonely No More: Your Personal Solution to Overeating, Overspending, and Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
  • Dreaming: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters
  • Live and Learn and Pass It on: People Ages 5 to 95 Share What They've Discovered about Life, Love, and Other Good Stuff
  • Pseudoscience and the Paranormal