Start by marking “Veil of Darkness (The Earthsoul Prophecies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Veil of Darkness (The Earthsoul Prophecies, #1)

Veil of Darkness (The Earthsoul Prophecies #1)

In the world of the Nine Lands, the Earthsoul, spirit of the earth itself, grows weak, and the demon god Maeon seeks to unite his unholy realm with that of humans. Only a young man whose heritage marks him as specially Gifted can wield the Blood Orb of Elsa and heal the Earthsoul. Set in a richly detailed and varied world, this blend of coming-of-age story and epic saga ...more
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2007 by Bladestar Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Veil of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veil of Darkness

Rachel
Aug 10, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Greg Park was my creative writing teacher in high school. He has an amazing imagination. I respect him and his work. This book keeps my attention even if it isn't my exact cup of tea. A page turner for sure.
Lynn
Sep 13, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Compared to Lord of the Rings in reviews, this second edition hardback comes highly recommended by those who love fantasy. The maps and illustrations are awesome!
Keshia
Dec 28, 2011 Keshia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review 1: Good book. I'm new to fantasy and have read a small handful of that genre, but this book was well written. I especially appreciate the glossary in the back, because with so much fantasy vocabulary across this genre, I usually tend to struggle. Plus there are A LOT of characters to keep track of. However, it's not vital to understanding the story. I didn't realize the glossary was there until i was in the last chapter.

It has a little bit of government politics mixed with military histo
Patrick
Jan 13, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-not-ya
A guy at the local high school wrote this and got some free copies to our school. Pretty fun so far. You can see the influence of many other fantasy series--kind of like an adult Eragon. From the length and wordiness of this book, this is going to be a long series.

Halfwayish through--It's pretty good. Most fantasy draws from old ideas, ways of approaching things, fantasy races, etc, but this book seems to especially be similar--I'm thinking of it as Sword of the Wheel of Shannara Time. "Channeli
Candice
Dec 18, 2014 Candice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Greg Park is my favorite author despite being not very well known. his writing always makes me feel energized and happy, even when it's dark and sad. I've cried several times reading these books, and it only makes me love them more. The writing is a bit rough in this first volume, but it keeps getting better. I've been a fan of epic fantasy for a long time, and although The Earthsoul Prophecies is very similar to most books of the genre it's also very different and fun. I definitely saw some ...more
Avi Elliott
Jun 24, 2014 Avi Elliott rated it it was amazing
So When I first read this book I didn't think it was as good as it actually is. I was a little Robert Jordan obsessed and so I felt like everything was ripped off. After a few more years kicking around in the genre I figured out EVERYTHING is ripped off so I gave this series another pass and read the second book, which was the newest one at the time. I enjoyed it much more and found it very compelling. It actually had all of the things that had originally turned me onto Jordan; complex ...more
Rich
Aug 03, 2012 Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the story was somewhat enjoyable, there was just way too much going on. The author attempted to tell the story from the point of view of various different characters, but had way too many of them. It switch from person to person sometimes three or four times within a chapter. I felt like most of the book way laying the groundwork for a sequel... or ten; the story progression was very slow.

I could tell that the author is LDS from some of the character names (Zeesrom for example). Also, whe
Kevin
Nov 10, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read. I enjoy Jordan and Sanderson and this was similar but it had it's own flavor. It was an exciting fantasy novel and I feel as if the action and adventure started off quite quickly. Many fantasy novels will build over time but this one started off quite quickly. The characters are well-developed and interesting. The world is detailed and exciting. Plus, he has included awesome maps! But seriously, it is a detailed and large world. I am an anxious to read more of the ...more
Lydia
May 14, 2010 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun new fantasy series that is similar to LOTR, etc...but holds its own.

I started reading this book out loud to my husband on a car trip over a year ago. When we got back I still had 200 pages to go and it was sooo good that I wanted to finish it on my own...but decided to finish it together. We finally got the chance this last week.

I would, however, suggest reading it all at once--so you don't forget all the little details. Though both last time and this I found myself very engrossed!

I will b
Allison
I read this book because the author sent a box to our school. The story line is one I have read before, think chosen one meets the prophecies. That being said, I enjoyed the book. I wish he had a better editor. The book is quite long and a lot of the information could be left out. I found myself skimming in places. Interesting book, I would probably read the second one in the series. The fantasy addicts will love it!
Claudia
Mar 28, 2010 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so maybe Veil of Darkness doesn't quite rank up there with Lord of the Rings and the Wheel of Time Series (maybe), but it does fit beautifully in my favorite genre so I loved reading it! In this book I love the characters, the settings, the plot, and the appropriately adapted glimpses of LDS doctrine and practices. Thank you, Park Sensei! I've already started reading The Cleansing Hunt.
Blaine
Jul 01, 2010 Blaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, unfinished
This is a really good book, but sadly, I couln't get myself to finish it. It was very well written, had great characters, and a very engaging story. It was just too violent for me. The problem was that there wasn't just violence, there was very detailed violence. And not being a fan of gore, I was much happier not knowing exactly what happened to all the blood. So if you can handle violence, this is a GREAT book to read. It was just a little too violent for me to enjoy it.
Tom Hill
May 05, 2010 Tom Hill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I met Greg at Cosco where he was selling his books. He is a really great guy with a love of teaching his HS students.
I'm about half way through the book and really like it. I like the story line, the characters are likeable especially Jase the main character.
The only problem I have is that it is taht there are so many characters and its hard to keep them all straight. There is an index in the back that helps.
Hyrum
Mar 11, 2010 Hyrum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Veil of Darkness gets a 5 for 5 and is one of my favorite books along with the entire earthsoul prophecies. This is an amazingly crafted book with stories and characters that draw you in and wont let go till youve finished it. Ive have read this book twice now and have absolutely loved it both times I recomend this book for anyone who enjoys fantasy, or adventure.
Jeremy
Splendid! It was a great start to an intense series. I love the way Greg Park writes. I am excited to the fourth of this series to come out later this year as well as his new novel that releases next month!
Isaac Watts
It's a tough read. Very similiar style to 'Lord of the Ring' series by J.R.R. Tolkien.
It has an interesting plot though, and amazing character development. Be prepared to be immersed into a whole new world.
Amber
Feb 18, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
Good and fun reads. They kept me up at night. Simple good vs. evil, but well written and fun. Some of the side story plot lines are completely hokey and silly, but I still highly recommend the books. I am getting ready to re-read the books so I can read the fourth book.
Ryan Burt
Oct 02, 2010 Ryan Burt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I really like the main character. It was really his story line that kept drawing me in. Fun and nice read.
Katlyn
Jul 15, 2011 Katlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it my teacher wrote it so it was on his reading list it is way good. i'll probaly copme back to it.
Jenny Carlson
Jul 26, 2012 Jenny Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The guy who wrote this book was actually the english teacher of a friend of mine. It's like Wheel of Time, Book of Mormon, and a little of Japanese culture combined. I liked it a lot.
Dave Lee
Aug 26, 2010 Dave Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book a lot. While it's not fresh or new, it's still interesting enough to really get into this world Greg park has created.
Heather
Ambitious, not the hugest impact in the world of fantasy-genre. Interesting world he has created...not bad, not great...
Quince
Aug 29, 2012 Quince rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is really cool is that the writer is my Japanese and English teacher at Timpanogos High School!
This book was fairly violent, somewhere with the Mistborn series. I did like it though
Jeffrey Kidd
Jeffrey Kidd rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
JAB Bullough
JAB Bullough rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2013
Kameron
Kameron rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2011
Collin Park
Collin Park rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2011
Lola Coolbear
Lola Coolbear rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Sean Jorgensen
Sean Jorgensen rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Greg Park was born in 1967 in Provo, Utah, and spent much of his youth fishing the Provo River and camping and hunting in the Wasatch Mountains with his father and brothers. In 1986, he served a two-year mission in Osaka, Japan, then attended Brigham Young University, where he received a bachelor of arts in English and a master of arts in theater and media arts.

A high school English teacher for m
More about Greg Park...

The Earthsoul Prophecies (3 books)
  • Cleansing Hunt (The Earthsoul Prophecies, #2)
  • Children of Ta'shaen (The Earthsoul Prophecies, #3)