Start by marking “Alibis and Amethysts (A Crystal Shop Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Alibis and Amethysts (A Crystal Shop Mystery #1)

Alibis and Amethysts (A Crystal Shop Mystery #1)

Jaye Saylor is living her dream as the proud owner of Crystal Clear, a crystal and gemstone shop in the Red Rock area of Sedona, Arizona—a Mecca for tourists and new-age enthusiasts. And since tourists need sweets, Jaye gets to share her dream with her best friend, Sierra, who owns Cravings, a new local bakery.

But when the two friends discover the stone-cold body of a riva
Published August 20th 2013 by InterMix (Penguin Publishing)

To ask other readers questions about Alibis and Amethysts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alibis and Amethysts

A Dead Husband by Anna Celeste BurkeThe Blessing Way by Tony HillermanDeath by Darjeeling by Laura ChildsDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisInterview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
Best Series Set in the South and Southwest U.S.
116th out of 159 books — 74 voters
High Wages by Dorothy WhippleAstor Place Vintage by Stephanie LehmannSummer at Tiffany by Marjorie HartThe Serendipity Shop by Dorita Fairlie BruceThe Abbey Girls on Trial by Elsie J. Oxenham
Shop Girls
38th out of 54 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Rane
May 01, 2014 Rane rated it really liked it

Jaye Saylor is living her dream! Owner of a crystal and gemstone store, Crystal Clear, in Sedona, Arizona side by side the Red rock area where tourists flock to make use of the area and the gemstones powers. Along with her BFF Sierra who owns the local bakery life is pretty good.
Until a bakery rival of Sierra is found dead in Sierra's backyard and all evidence points to Jaye and Sierra and it's up to them along with their friend Daniel and a creature a , not-a-cat , to prove their innocence.

Laura Reading
Jul 17, 2014 Laura Reading rated it really liked it
This is a fun book for cozy lovers as well as paranormal cozy lovers. There are no witches or shifters, but the not-a-cat is strange enough to keep the paranormal fans interested.
It is a story of murder in a tourist community and the shop keepers themselves have that small town feel.

Reading through the book I was giving it a full 5 star thumbs up for more than three quarters of the book.
It lost me with dog hair. Now, you would think that I, more than many others, would appreciate dog hair in a s
Denise Fleischer

By Sharon Pape
Intermix Books
Penquin Group
Ebook-kindle

Life had changed in a heartbeat for Jaye Saylor. She was content teaching Earth Science to students in Middle School until her best friend, Sierra, decided to open a bakery in Sedona, AZ. Jaye packs her bags and moves to the artist-inspiring town.

Now her life revolves around her little crystal and gemstone shop and Sierra was living up to her own challenge with
LORI CASWELL
Aug 21, 2013 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
This series is set Sedona, Arizona and features Jaye Saylor. She owns Crystal Clear, a crystal and gemstone shop. She feels like she is living a geologist’s dream sharing her knowledge and folklore with all the residents and tourists that come to her shop.

When a body is found in her backyard the dream quickly turns into a nightmare. The police decide Jaye and her friend Sierra are ideal suspects. The friends find some unusual help to catch the real killer and prove their innocence.

Dollycas’s Tho
Sara
Sep 17, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Set in Sedona, AZ, Jaye and Sierra have been friends since college and now own their own shops in the tourist-attraction town. Sierra has a bakery, Jaye sells crystals and such in an area known for vortexes and other paranormal activity. When the owner of another bakery in town is found in Sierra's yard, both women are on the short list of suspects and feel the need to protect themselves by investigating on their own. Their friend Daniel, a Navajo, offers to help them with their investigation, ...more
Kaye
Aug 25, 2013 Kaye rated it it was amazing
Jaye follows Sierra to Sedona and opens a crystal and gemstones shop, Crystal Clear. Jaye is getting settled in Sedona, and making friends, including Daniel, who gives tours. Sienna, who arrived in Sedona before Jaye, opened a bakery with some very yummy-sounding treats. Jaye and Sierra, who met and became friends in college, are enjoying their new businesses and friends when bad luck strikes, they find the body of Sierra"s biggest competitor in the back yard, and become the prime suspects.

I lov
Linda Langford at Chatting About Cozies
Very interesting story. Jaye Saylor is an expert on crystals and gemstones. She relocated to Sedona, AZ after her best friend, Sierra, opened up a bakery there. Jaye is accused of stealing a ring from a local jeweler; then a dead body of one of Sierra's competitor's is found in Sierra's back yard!! They both know they are not the guilty ones, so along with a new friend, Daniel, they start investigating other people to see if they can figure out who Peggy's murderer is---especially with the local ...more
Beth
Apr 04, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
This is a fun story that had me smiling at the antics of Jaye and Sienna as they schemed their way through their investigation. I enjoyed the native american and crystal info....it was just enough to add interest to the story without being overwhelming.

If you enjoy cozy mysteries, you should definitely read Alibis and Amethysts, if only to find out about the not-a-cat. Oh and be prepared to have your mouth water as you read the descriptions of Sienna's baked goods.

I'm looking forward to book two
Jul 15, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Good: I loved Jaye's shop. Her expertise in geology. The Native American culture woven into the story. The mystery was unexpected until right before the resolution was revealed. Definitely a cute, cozy mystery.

The Bad: Jaye is oblivious to romantic interest. The not-a-cat (what is that all about?). Most of the "interviews" Jaye did with potential suspects left me wondering why they would talk to her at all. More than anything, the story just dragged a bit. It didn't suck me in and I could ha
Debbie
Feb 14, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. My only problem with this book is that I don't enjoy cops made to look like they aren't looking deeper into the case, and sleuths that get a little too pushy. Luckily, they are such likeable characters. I did love the relationship between Jaye, Sierra and David, their friendship and their interaction was fun and believable. The mystery kept me guessing with different twists, and you have to love the not-a-cat. I will read the next in the series interested to see how ...more
Sharon
Sep 03, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to put the book down until i had it all finished and it left me wanting more. . Jaye, Daniel and Sierra were characters that I could like in real life. Of course, hanging around Sierra, I may gain another 25 lbs with all the goodies she bakes. Sounds like Jaye may have some secret abilities, that she doesnt know about. hmmm.

I hope Sharon Pape writes a sequel on kindle format. I really loved this story.
Kathy Elliott
Nov 24, 2014 Kathy Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not what it looks like

Just because she found a body in her yard doesn't make her a murderer. Enjoyable book, interesting locale, and a trio of would-be sleuths make this a nice way to spend a few hours. An unusual pet helps them as they try to save themselves.

I am really looking forward to the second book in the series.
Catherine Chant
Sep 09, 2013 Catherine Chant rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a cute cozy mystery
I really enjoyed this cozy mystery. The characters are all quite likable and interesting, and I especially adored Jaye's pet Raffles. I swear every time Sienna's baked goods were mentioned I got hungry. Wished there was a Cravings bakery where I live. LOL!

I'm looking forward to more books in this series, and hope we get to see more of Raffles, and more of the Daniel/Jaye "friendship." :-)
Turtles
Oct 19, 2014 Turtles rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I wanted this to be a fun, quirky mystery read. But it was TOO cliche in parts. If I hadn't read so many mysteries before I could have enjoyed it more. Nothing stood out so much that I wanted to keep reading it past 37%.
Lindsay
Oct 17, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this first book in a new series. It was a quick light read and a great little mystery. Usually with cozy mysteries I have it figured out but with this one there was a bit of a twist that I definitely did not see coming.
Susan
Jul 16, 2014 Susan added it
Light, fluffy read. Perhaps a bit too New Age for my taste, and could have used better editing (the vegetarian eating sausage pizza?). I would like to see if the author delves into the Navaho culture and beliefs in future books.
Vicky
Oct 06, 2015 Vicky rated it it was ok
This had so much potential. It started out as a page turner but quickly lost me with the "not-a-cat". There was really not much of a point in this creature. It took away from what began as a very good story line.
Kristin
Sep 19, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
This was the first book in a new series. It had likeable characters, but an improbable mystery. Although it almost doesn't matter how improbable since there's not-a-cat. I almost wish it was real.
Paula Brierley
Paula Brierley rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2015
Shelrie
Shelrie rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Stephani
Stephani rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Constance
Constance rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Janetmcpherson
Janetmcpherson rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Donna Hawkins
Donna Hawkins rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Warren Azzinaro
Warren Azzinaro rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop, #3)
  • If Bread Could Rise to the Occasion  (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #3)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • The Root of all Trouble(A Nina Quinn #7)
  • Looming Murder
  • Plum Deadly (Pie in the Sky Mystery, #1)
  • Nightmares Can Be Murder (Dream Club Mystery #1)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • Read and Buried (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #2)
  • Suede to Rest (A Material Witness Mystery #1)
  • Murder for Choir (Glee Club, #1)
  • With Zombies (Assured Destruction #3)
  • Killer in Crinolines  (Consignment Shop Mystery #2)
  • The Diva Frosts a Cupcake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #7)
  • The Whole Cat and Caboodle (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Tempest in a Teapot (Teapot Collector Mystery, #1)
  • A Function of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #3)
  • Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1)
I started writing stories as soon as I learned how to put letters together to form words. From that day forward, writing has been a part of my life whether it was my first attempt at a novel in seventh grade or the little plays I wrote for my friends to perform for neighbors and family. After college, when I was busy teaching French and Spanish to high school students, I was also writing poetry -- ...more
More about Sharon Pape...

“You live with something ugly or broken and at first it’s all you can see, but then your mind throws a cloak of sorts over it and you don’t even realize it’s there anymore.” 0 likes