Start by marking “Plan X” as Want to Read:
Plan X

Plan X

Another cracking thriller from Lise McClendon, writing as Rory Tate. PLAN X features another strong female protagonist, this time a policewoman from Bozeman, Montana, in search of the identity of a Shakespeare professor killed in an explosion on campus.

Cody Byrne is tough, brave, and ready for adventure, but the scars of her tour in Iraq as an Army Reserve bomb investigato
Published June 2013 by Thalia Press

To ask other readers questions about Plan X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plan X

Carl Brookins
Jan 11, 2014 Carl Brookins rated it it was amazing

Let me start by stating plainly this is a terrific novel. It is riveting, moving and deals sensitively with the regeneration of the soul of a young infantry Second Lieutenant from Montana. Cody Byrne is our main character, back from a tough tour in Afghanistan where she had a close encounter with an IED. Rescued, she returned undamaged in body but torn in soul, to a town where she is becoming a respected police officer.

It develops that her father whom she doesn’t know, works for a mysterious Bri
William Lovejoy
May 28, 2013 William Lovejoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In nicely contrasted settings of western Montana and England, the author weaves a twisted tale of spies and cops and scholars in pursuit of antiquities with the potential for either fame or ugly disclosure. Murder is committed along the way, and Bozeman policewoman Cody Byrnes is determined to set things right for the victims. Cody is hampered by a dysfunctional family and the aftereffects of a combat tour in Iraq that didn’t turn out well for her. She must address all of her problems as she ...more
Deborah Atkinson
Jul 08, 2013 Deborah Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Plan X, by Rory Tate

I almost missed my flight because of this book—and I was sitting in the airport. Former Army bomb scene investigator and Montana police officer Cody Byrne embarks on an escapade that reaches from a lethal explosion in a Montana State University biology lab to the venerated halls of Oxford. In a race to stop a vengeful murderer, Byrne must confront not only the PTSD that lingers from her Iraq War days, she is forced to take on the heavies at MI5 and a tangle of family secrets.
Bob
Mar 08, 2016 Bob rated it did not like it
This was a seriously terrible book. I'm kicking myself for actually forcing myself to finish it. It had 2 major interlinking plot lines. A spy story about the murder of a college professor, and a cloak and dagger story about a lost Shakespearean play, or forgery thereof. I'm sure it all made sense to the author, but it made no sense at all to me. Why spy agencies from both sides of the Atlantic would care about an old manuscript was just silly. Then you take a cop from Montana who faints at ...more
Cynthia Corral
May 25, 2015 Cynthia Corral rated it really liked it
This is a fun, quick read with an original take on the typical thriller. The cover is misleading, as there's no female vigilante running around with a machine gun. Instead, Cody Byrnes is suffering from PTSD after a tour in Iraq, and now works as a cop in Montana. A deadly explosion in a university lab opens up an intricate mystery involving spies, lost works of William Shakespeare, and the sordid history of the Royal Family, along with Cody's own mysterious family history, and the settings vary ...more
Pat
Nov 15, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cody Byrne is not your traditional thriller hero, which makes for a much more interesting book. Her PTSD and family history add another layer that make Cody's reactions more believable. Lise McClendon takes us and Cody on a wild trip from Montana to DC to England searching for answers. Who set off a bomb on the MSU campus? Who was Augie Phillips and what was he hiding? Are the old manuscripts Cody found really part of a lost Shakespeare play? I enjoyed the ride and the search.
I received a compli
Ann
Mar 28, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good read. Already suffering from PTSD from her tour of duty in Iraq as a bomb scene investigator, Police Officer Cody Byrne finds herself involved in the aftermath of two explosions at Montana State University.

We follow Cody as she tries to solve the mystery that rocks her life.

There is a lot going on in this story that will keep the reader gripped right to the end. Definitely worth 5 stars
Gail
Aug 16, 2016 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I had a lot of problems keeping up with the names. People kept changing names and identities so fast that I got really confused. The story itself was good. The characters were great. But, all the spy stuff was confusing. I guess when you're dealing with spies it is supposed to be. Lol. Would probably read another one, although I hope people keep their own names this time.
Joseph Ferguson
May 08, 2016 Joseph Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery and PTSD

Bozeman, MT police officer Cody Byrne, an Iraq War veteran, battles her own demons while trying to solve a bombing reminiscent of her war experiences.

Well drawn characters and a plot that keeps you guessing; a most enjoyable read.
Lise
Jun 07, 2013 Lise added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My new baby, what do you think? Cops, MI5 spooks, Shakespeare, secrets, and explosions: what more could ask for in a thriller? Enjoy.
Bob Jespersen
Bob Jespersen rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Daphne
Daphne rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Peg
Peg rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Judithellison
Judithellison rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
David Glenn
David Glenn rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Julie Imai
Julie Imai rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Wanda Chittenden
Wanda Chittenden rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Donna Zaffuto
Donna Zaffuto rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Ingrid Groenewald
Ingrid Groenewald rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2016
Rocco J Celtruda Jr
Rocco J Celtruda Jr rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
sara morris
sara morris rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
William J. Redmond Jr.
William J. Redmond Jr. rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Kathleen Moul
Kathleen Moul rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Tony Steinman
Tony Steinman rated it it was ok
May 07, 2016
Mike Hampton
Mike Hampton rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Frank Harrigan
Frank Harrigan rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Tassoula Kokkoris
Tassoula Kokkoris rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Flies of August
  • Death In Bagheria (Serafina Florio, #3)
  • The Argentina Rhodochrosite (An Ainsley Walker Gemstone Travel Mystery)
  • Polar Night
  • The Devil You Know
  • Depth of Deception (A Titanic Murder Mystery)
  • Ghost
  • Love in a Hopeless Place Collection (Love in a Hopeless Place, #1-5)
  • Strings of Glass (A Sydney Rye Novel, #4)
  • Black Cobra (Aaron Quinn thriller series #2)
  • Shadow Tag (Ray Schiller Series #2)
  • Under the Looking Glass
  • A Bridge to Treachery
  • Ocean Snow
  • Snow Day
  • Dog River Blues
  • Brainstorm
  • Paint Me Gone (Gen Delacourt Mystery #3)