Start by marking “Gone Fishing” as Want to Read:
Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Gone Fishing, the sequel to the bestselling The Briny Café, is a heart-warming, inspirational novel about taking a stand against all the odds.

For bargeman Sam Scully, life in Cook’s Basin is nothing short of paradise. A wonderland of golden sand and turquoise waters, battered old tinnies and wonky pontoons, it’s a realm unspoilt by the modern world. But then a notice goes
Published October 1st 2013 by Random House Australia Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Gone Fishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone Fishing

Dale Harcombe
Three and a half stars.
Having read and enjoyed The Briny Cafe I was keen to read this sequel. It was interesting to catch up with Sam, Jimmy, Ettie, Marcus, Kate, the Misses Skettle with their fascination for wearing pink and others of the Cook’s Basin community. In this novel, Sam and the residents are up against a developer that wants to build an expensive resort. It’s a lovely about the little guys of a community taking on those with clout. In that sense it reminded me a little of the movie
Brenda
Sam Scully was happy cruising the waters of Cook’s Basin in the Mary Kay, bargeman for the past twenty years, delivering in and around the area where friends were always there for each other. Jimmy, Sam’s young deck-hand or first mate as he liked to call him, with pup Longfellow to keep him company was invariably at Sam’s side, working hard and saving for his first car – a ute like Sam’s.

But suddenly the peace and tranquillity of the area was shattered – signs appeared stating their wonderful Ga
☼♄Jülie

I received this advance kindle copy from NetGalley & Random House Australia in exchange for an honest review.

*May contain spoilers*

Gone Fishing by Susan Duncan is the sequel to The Briny Cafe.

This is the fourth Susan Duncan book I have read, and the second in this series. I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the previous three which I had purchased....

I found that some of the behavioral traits of Kate...an established lead character...a bit hard to believe and thought she lack
The Twins
Oh what a struggle - up to chapter 20 I didn't give up hope that it could improve but it just didn't happen...I struggled with about everything. Too many words packed into the sentences ("Sam, unsure since the thumping disaster of his unintentionally light-hearted dismissal of Kate's intense labours, whether he's still invited to a post-prandial- as his dad used to say to his mum with a nod and a wink - assignation at her home, stays seated.") The whole storyline was obvious and predictable apar ...more
Thanks to Random House Australia.

The Briny Cafe seemed to strike a chord with borrowers in one of the small rural libraries that I work in. For months it had a reserve list of at least three people and even now never spends more than a few hours on the shelf. It was a little bit of a weird phenomenon, given that in the other two libraries I spend my time in it didn't get any more notice than you'd usually expect for a new title onto the shelves from a relatively unknown author. So when I notice
Karen O'Brien-Hall
I’m having so much fun reading new releases at present due in no small part to my latest read from Random House Australia, Gone Fishing by Susan Duncan.
This is only Susan’s second novel, although she won the 2007 Nielsen BookData Booksellers Choice Award for her memoir, Salvation Creek. If her name seems familiar however it’s because she is a former editor of The Australian Women’s Weekly and New Idea.
It’s probably Susan’s background which lends such a chatty, easy-reading style to Gone Fishing
Lili
I haven't read the Briny Cafe, but this book was still enjoyable and easy to read (and I have now added the first book to my reading list!) It was a bit like the Castle but a community fighting for their land rather than a single family. It felt a little rushed at the end, but overall it was a very fun, light-hearted read and I hope there are more books to come featuring the Cook Basin community.
Helen
This has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world to live. Add loveable eccentric characters, a hero or two and a villain or two, plus a challenge and you have a ripping good yarn.
Hayley
May 11, 2014 Hayley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
After reading Susan Duncan's previous novels I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately it didn't rate as well as her others. This is a light read with a somewhat flimsy storyline.
Leslie Hoggan
First couple of chapters a bit slow and reiterating the previous book but once you got passed this it was an enjoyable read.
Liz Phillips
A light easy enjoyable read set around Sydney and it's estuaries and the lives of the people that live there
Kerri Jones
Not as good as it's predecessor The Briny Cafe but enjoyable as a light summer read without too much substance. I would liken these books to the novels written by Maggie Groff but hers are far more well rounded in characters and plot.
Cheryl
Having read all of Susan Duncan's previous books I was looking forward to the follow up to "The Briny Cafe" but must say I struggled to get through it...the environmental aspect of it was good but the storyline with the main characters I think was a bit weak, and I felt the situation with her brother ended very up in the air.
Dave Lawrence
This book has its heart in the right place. There are some likeable characters and good triumphs over evil. Unfortunately this doesn't make up for the lazy plot and some pretty unrealistic scenarios.

Jay
I had read Salvation Creek, The House at Salvation Creek, and The Briny Cafe, so looked forward to reading this latest book by Susan Duncan. I really struggled with this novel as it stretched credibility in a way the previous books did not. Two storylines failed to engage me. Some repeated expressions, "frigidly cold" for example, used as a noun, grated.
Caroline
A lovely follow-on from the Briny Cafe. Good triumphs over evil and the simple things in life are usually the best.
Terese Stockdale
Nice easy read but dragged in parts. Love the community feel of the book and the characters.
Louise
Sep 29, 2014 Louise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Fun. Maybe not as great as the Briny Cafe.
Gosia
Very disapointing reading compare to Briny Cafe.
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Vicki Tyley
Vicki Tyley marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Joan
Joan is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Meeky
Meeky marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Julianne
Julianne marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Susan Duncan enjoyed a 25-year career spanning radio, newspaper and magazine journalism, including editing two of Australia's top selling women's magazines, The Australian Women's Weekly and New Idea. She now lives in her own patch of offshore paradise, Pittwater, with her second husband, Bob, in the beautiful home built for poet Dorothea Mackellar in 1925.

Susan's bestselling memoir, Salvation Cre
More about Susan Duncan...
Salvation Creek The Briny Cafe The House at Salvation Creek A Life on Pittwater Salvation Creek : An unexpected Life