Start by marking “Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #6)” as Want to Read:
Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #6)

Something Borrowed (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts #6)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  68 reviews
A wedding on the planet Koturia turns out to be a far more dangerous proposition than the Sixth Doctor and Peri ever expected. It marks the return of a formidable old foe whose genius matches the Doctor's. Can the Doctor outwit this villain, save Peri and stop the wedding in time?

American fantasy author Richelle Mead puts her own twist on the Doctor's amazing adventures th
Published June 23rd 2013 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Something Borrowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Borrowed

Alejandro
This is the sixth book of the 50th Anniversary event of 11 short stories of Doctor Who featuring the 11 doctors with 11 different companions. Now it's the turn of the Sixth Doctor and his companion is Peri Brown.

The Good

First, I liked a lot the creative choice of Richelle Mead, the author, of having Peri Brown, the Doctor's companion, as the narrator of the short story. I think that it feels natural that the stories would be read from the point of view of the companions. I don't know if this has
Kribu
As with all the previous Doctor Who 50th anniversary short stories, Something Borrowed was also a little too short for me to truly feel satisfied, but in spite of the short length, this was a nice, complete, self-sustained tale which managed to have a decent plot as well as good characterisation of both the Sixth Doctor as well as Peri.

The warm, often-frustrating but also endearing arrogance of Six was especially well realised in just a few paragraphs here and there, and Peri, as the narrator, c
Dan
I've been watching the Sixth Doctor stories lately so I thought it was about time to read this. Richelle Mead, one of the few authors of this series who I am not familiar with, did a fantastic job with a challenging Doctor to write for.

The plot is pretty good, very Sixth Doctor-ish. The Doctor and Peri arrive in an alien city which models itself on Las Vegas. A local man is about to marry the love of his life and undergo a form of change not altogether dissimilar to regeneration. But who is thi
Nick Wilson
Probably the best one of the six released so far, manages to characterise Peri and the Sixth Doctor well and good story
F.R.
The sixth Doctor’s reign on TV was so obnoxious, violent and lacking in charm that it seemed beyond saving. Watching Colin baker and Nicola Bryant/Bonnie Langford (the former probably ill served by her material/the latter almost certainly wouldn’t make Shakespeare look good) go from nihilistic, bleak scenario to nihilistic, bleak scenario was truly soul destroying. It was almost as if the men behind it had no understanding of the show at all, or else were in the league with The Master (or more l ...more
Adam Stone
Something Borrowed was the sixth Doctor story for the series of e-books published for the 50th anniversary. What was most remarkable about this story was that it was written from the point of view of the Doctor’s companion Peri Brown and I have to say that this is possible the best that Peri has ever been written probably even better than she was in the show itself because for once she was a young American female character written by a young American female author which gave the character a life ...more
Alison
Awesome. Great setting, perfect characterization, best possible villain for Six to encounter again, and did I mention the characterization? Because this is written from Peri's POV and I loved it, and she and Six were on perfect snarky, funny form - which wasn't something I ever said when watching their TV stories. A delight to enjoy this so much!
Ruth
2.5 Stars. Something Borrowed, the sixth entry in Puffin's series of short stories celebrating Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, features the sixth Doctor attending -- as the title suggests -- a wedding. But not just any wedding -- one occurring in the Koturia alien equivalent of Las Vegas (and given the sixth Doctor is known for his wildly colorful clothing choices, one can only assume he'd fit right in *wink*). Along with his long-time human companion Peri (as played on the show by Nicola Bryant ...more
Chad
The 6th Doctor and Peri have come to a wedding on a planet modeled after the Vegas Strip. However, when they arrive they are attacked by a pack of odd creatures. In addition, the bride is an alien that may not be what she seems.

I like the sixth Doctor, but never really liked Peri. She was always eye candy to me and didn't really add to the sixth Doctor. This story is really no different. Although I liked the story itself, seeing it through Peri's eyes and thoughts was kinda annoying to me. The
Brandon Clevenger
Practically Perfect

The sixth Doctor's time on television was brief and as such is often overlooked or dismissed by the average viewer of classic Who. I was elated to find the author of 'Something Borrowed' to not be in that camp. Indeed I would say that for the detail in both of the main characters and the mention of the sonic lance Richelle Mead would have to be a fan. The only thing that I might not have liked was the setting of the story being an extraterrestrial Las Vegas except that it is s
France-Andrée
Peri is one of my least favorite character and I was agreeably surprised to like her here; she's the narrator and it works.

(view spoiler)

It isn't a complicated story, b
Greg
As i am reading this entire set via the full publication known as TWELVE DOCTORS, TWELVE STORIES, this short (’SOMETHING BORROWED’) was easily the book’s highlight so far, IMHO. It had a beginning (obviously), a middle and a proper and formal closure, with the possibility of a happy ending. And the reader was gifted with a twist which some fellow book lovers might have seen coming, but I certainly did not.

In summary this is an ASS.

(Awesome Short Story!!!)

Easily worth five stars in any forum.
Hot Cute Girly Geek
Kirsten
This sixth installment features the sixth doctor (played by Colin Baker) and his Earth human companion Peri Brown. It is described as: "A wedding on the planet Koturia turns out to be a far more dangerous proposition than the Sixth Doctor and Peri ever expected. It marks the return of a formidable old foe whose genius matches the Doctor’s. Can the Doctor outwit this villain, save Peri and stop the wedding in time?"

What I noticed right away with this e-short is that it is narrated by Peri herself
Karl Orbell
Colin Baker's Doctor, is one of very few that I do not believe I have yet watched. So this book offered my first taste of him and it was quite intriguing.

Sixth Doctor and Peri

The book is first person, from the perspective of his companion, Peri; an American girl from Pasadena. At first I thought, I don't think the Doctor would have an American companion, maybe the fact the author, Richelle Mead, is American, she's just Americanised the storyline for her own benefit. But no, on a bit of research, the companion Peri w
Iain Hamilton
Strong entry in the series although Colin Baker's Doctor feels a bit toned down. (Probably a good thing as other reviewers have suggested.) Like the choice of Peri as the narrator (although this may indicate a bias on my part too).

+++++

7. The Ripple Effect
8. Spore
9. The Beast of Babylon
Bill Meeks
Something Borrowed was my least favorite of these Doctor Who stories so far. It never really felt like it went anywhere. Some interesting ideas: Vegas planet, a new definition for "starting your life together", etc. The villain reveal would have had more impact for me if I'd seen a story with the character before.

My main problem was that the Doctor felt like he was destined to win. He was so lackadaisical it sucked all the drama out of the room.

Unless you like the *spoiler classic villain reveal
Connie
This is my favorite book in this collection so far. This was surprising to me since I did not think I would like Peri, but I really enjoyed her here. It was nice to see the story from her point of view. She was very resourceful and seemed up for any adventure. The Sixth Doctor was very enjoyable, I am going to have to watch his episodes now. The Rani was very interesting, and I would like to see more of her. A highly enjoyable story!
Taksya
Sesto appuntamento con la serie per ragazzi creata in occasione del cinquantesimo compleanno del Dottore, con il ritorno di una nemica mai dimenticata e scritto da un'autrice famosa per romanzi a tema vampiresco. La presenza di Peri, che ho sempre detestato, viene compensata da quella del Dottore in Multicolor e dell'avversaria numero uno (no, non è il Maestro). La storia è simpatica e, come sempre, veloce da leggersi.
Lothfleur
Richelle Mead + Doctor Who, j'étais très curieuse de tester. Richelle Mead a hérité de la sixième incarnation du docteur pour le recueil des 50 ans, on le retrouve donc, accompagné de Peri dans une aventure liée à un mariage à... Las Vegas. Ou plutôt une re-création extraterrestre de Las Vegas.
J'ai trouvé que c'était énormément axé sur la romance. Je n'ai aucune idée de ce à quoi ressemblaient les épisodes au temps de Colin Baker (ça doit être un des seuls noms des docteurs pré New Who que je co
Robyn Givney
i'm not a huge fan of sappy romance style stories where all female characters are simpering foola who think there's nothing more to life than romance. so i found this book a bit difficult to read. personally i think she got the 6th doctor's character spot on but ruined it with making one of the main characters and a vital part of the story's progression a lovecrazed fool. this story is definitely designed for girls who like romance novels which is all well and good if you like that stuff.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy C.
Cover Story: Radioactive Portrait
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 1
Talky Talk: Fan Fiction
Bonus Factor: Alien Vegas
Relationship Status: Longing for a TARDIS Key

Read the full book report here.
Michael Kelly
A really well told story, with perfect characterisations of the Sixth Doctor and Peri, also their opponent (shh, spoilers...)

The setting is a fascinating and engaging one, a world which has modeled itself upon present day Las Vegas. The plot is well paced and developed, the whole being very well written.

It still suffers - as do the other books in this range - for being too short. The supporting cast are not fleshed out at all, there is little opportunity for introspection, and the whole thing, w
Mark
Another good quick read in this series of books released in 2013 to mark the 50th anniversary.
This one was fairly good as it featured an old foe of the Doctor's and a battle of wits between them in the context of a wedding set in a city on a planet which seems to have styled itself after Las Vegas.
Good characterisation of the 6th Doctor, but can't say I can recall Peri from the show so not sure how good her portrayal was in the book.
On the whole another good read.
Lio Leeuwerink
This is a great Doctor Who short story.

The only thing I found a bit jarring was the first person narrative. It just wasn't executed in an interesting way. Then again, I've never been very fond of the first person narrative, so take that with a grain of salt.
Skye
This one wasn't exciting to me as the others. I have zero background on this Doctor, and they relied heavily on background information that I didn't have, which I am sure is one of the reasons I didn't like it as much. Still good, but didn't hook me like the others.
Tin
Something Borrowed moves in a pace that resembles an actual Doctor Who episode on TV. But it is an exciting, fast-paced and adventurous romp through an alien planet called Koturnia, patterned after what else, but Las Vegas, the city of glitz and glamour. And of course, what is Vegas without a wedding? Or ravaging pterodactyls? Aside from the chases and captures and general running around, I enjoyed the banter between Peri and the Sixth Doctor. I get the sense that both of them loves bickering an ...more
Eric Zulueta
I'm halfway through this amazing romp through the Doctors' 50th anniversary adventures and.. I am hooked!
I have discovered that I like all 6 of the Doctor's incarnations that I've read so far.. and can't seem to get enough.. :)
Martin
Michael
Outstanding!
'Something Borrowed' was the Sixth book/story/contribution for the 12D/12S project.
I thought it was great.
I think Doctor Who is great.
I think Richelle Mead is great.
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • The Spear of Destiny (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #3)
  • The Nameless City
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #10)
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • Nothing O'Clock (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #11)
  • Lights Out
  • Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
  • The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Time Traveller
  • Doctor Who: Players
  • Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By
  • Doctor Who: The Light at the End
  • Doctor Who: Keeping Up with the Joneses (Time Trips)
  • Doctor Who: Tales of Trenzalore: The Eleventh Doctor's Last Stand
  • Doctor Who: Engines of War

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f
More about Richelle Mead...

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Doctor Who: A Big Hand For The Doctor
  • The Nameless City
  • The Spear of Destiny (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #3)
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • Spore (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #8)
  • The Beast of Babylon (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #9)
  • Nothing O'Clock (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #11)
Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)