Start by marking “Heart of the Tapu Stone (Thread through the Whariki # 1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Tapu Stone (Thread through the Whariki  # 1)

Heart of the Tapu Stone (Thread through the Whariki # 1)

Laurel Maynard comes from a world of privilege: bought up by her New Zealand European father in Wellington. However, when she is forced to spend the summer in the sticks with the mother who abandoned her as a baby and no cell phone coverage, she doesn’t know how she’ll survive.
That is until Romeo, an enigmatic boy captures her attention and threatens to demolish the horri
Paperback, First Edition, 304 pages
Published April 27th 2013 by Dusky Productions (first published April 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Tapu Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Tapu Stone

Te
Oct 07, 2013 Te rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book - despite the slighly fan-fiction-esque feel to the narration (I think it had something to do with the enthusiastic description of every room's furnishings, or every character's hairdo), it possessed genuinely interesting characters, a driving main plot, numerous interesting sub-plots and a beautifully drawn, unusual setting you couldn't help but feel the author herself loved deeply.
The story centres around the reunification of an estranged mother, Ana, with her daughter Lau
Broje
Jun 18, 2013 Broje rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you only read one book this year make it 'Heart of the Tapu Stone'.
It's a story about connections, not just blood and family.

You'll connect to the characters; you'll see yourself, your friends and your family in them. As they unravel ...the past which kept them apart they uncover a seething pool of secrets, some, with the power to tear families apart.

It is addictive, must read, page turning stuff, written by my an amazing woman, Olivia Giles.
Angela Oliver
Oct 29, 2014 Angela Oliver rated it liked it
An engaging and well written tale containing many interwoven threads. "Heart of the Tapu Stone" is the story of family and follows the lives of two women and those around them. It is both a story of coming-of-age and also finding-yourself.

Ana Kingi left her husband and daughter years ago, returning to the small township of her childhood to act as their local doctor. Here she fell back into easy friendship with her neighbour and childhood playmate, local farmer, Robert McGregor. Now, as her daugh
Brenda Ryan
Jun 22, 2013 Brenda Ryan rated it it was amazing
Wonderful gutsy story full of NZ references which provide a sense of familiarity to Kiwi readers. Great character development, and clever writing with a great balance of pakeha and maori customs and perspectives. I love the strength of the main characters, their vulnerability, and their believability. Growing up in NZ I recognise many of them, and it was interesting to have an insight into what makes them tick. The underlying theme of the strength of the whanau is inspiring, and left me feeling ...more
Tare
Jun 19, 2013 Tare rated it it was amazing
love, love, love it!
would definitely recommend it! :D
Mia
Jan 24, 2014 Mia rated it it was ok
The captivating title and cover was what initially drew me in. The plot of the story I felt went from strength to strength. However it was let down by the inaccuracies founded within the Māori aspect of the story. I enjoyed the interaction between Ana and her daughter. Although I did find Laurel slightly whiny and a little too over dramatic. She did however redeem herself later in the novel. At times I felt a little lost within the story, due to the extremely descriptive manner of which the ...more
Lisa Bragg
Jan 19, 2016 Lisa Bragg rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book and felt that the story was engaging and the writing style was easy to read. I did however struggle with the YA rating. I personally wouldn't like my 12-13 year old reading it as the language and subject matter feel a bit too adult at times. I also got annoyed with text errors such as misspelling of character and music band names. I have asked my local library to buy in the sequel and am looking forward to seeing how the story continues.
Vaarua
Dec 06, 2013 Vaarua rated it it was amazing
Excellent reading. I just may have to go buy my own copy of this book it was so well written, in the meantime, its got to go back to its real owner, my niece. Great insights into the the world of the modern whanau/hapu even if fictional, but outstandingly believeable. Characters warm, funny, tragic, sad, true to life in all its glory. Recommend? yes yes yes.
RawiniaMatthews
RawiniaMatthews rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Lynda Bradley
Lynda Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2013
Maraea
Maraea rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Nicole Wijngaarden
Jan 03, 2014 Nicole Wijngaarden rated it it was amazing
A fabulous and well written book. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dana Scully
Dana Scully rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Martina
Thoroughly enjoyable read. Looking forward to the next in the Trilogy!
K.A.
K.A. rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Scotty Giles
Aug 10, 2016 Scotty Giles rated it it was amazing
An exceptional book by a fantastic author.
Ronja Haratian
Ronja Haratian rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Trinity Webster
Trinity Webster rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Elizabeth Adamson
Dec 18, 2015 Elizabeth Adamson rated it it was amazing
loved the story line. characters were great & wonderfully brought to life
Kerryn Hewson
Kerryn Hewson rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Rawinia Matthews
Rawinia Matthews rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Ariadne
Ariadne rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Olivia Giles
Olivia Giles rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2013
Cheryl Brown
Cheryl Brown rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Wai Turoa
Wai Turoa marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Nina Mcgregor
Nina Mcgregor marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Nina Mcgregor
Nina Mcgregor marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Olivia Giles
Olivia Giles marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Ellie
Ellie added it
Apr 01, 2014
Helena.Huang
Helena.Huang marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016