Start by marking “The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture” as Want to Read:
The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture

The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture

Grapes are the most popular and widely grown fruit in the world. From the tropics to Alaska, grapes will grow successfully in almost every climate. Whether you raise them for fresh eating, or for making wine, juice, or jellies and preserves, the right grapes will reward you with abundant crops for a modest investment of time and effort.

Now for the first time comes a book f
Published December 1st 2002 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Grape Grower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grape Grower

Robert Houston
Dec 02, 2008 Robert Houston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are serious about growing grapes this book is a must read. I have already altered what I'm doing in my vineyard based on this and I feel that I have real insight into natural plant cycles I have observed in my yard without realizing why they were happening.

this book is awesome
Matthew Philips
A great reference/textbook overall. I found it to be structured in a way that the author assumes you will purely reference a section or two rather than reading cover to cover and as a result covers the same concepts a few times. A wonderful look at a large variety of grapes which makes selecting a type for your region much easier. I found From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine a better source for a beginner's look at planting grapes, however, this book ...more
Justin  K. Rivers
Jul 16, 2009 Justin K. Rivers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's comprehensive, detailed, and specific. Gives you all the details needed to start growing grapes yourself, and even includes information on grape breeding and grafting. Basically, it will get you started and will remain useful if you become more serious about viticulture. It gets a bit technical in places, but I found that very helpful, since many other gardening books do not provide enough concrete specific information.

The only slight qualm I have is that it came out in 2002, so if you wan
Lucinda
Wow, this guy knows his grapes! I learned why I didn't have a good crop this year and what I did wrong, but the book is not a practical guide. It is very scientific and detailed for the real enthusiast. I just want to know the basics so I can make grape juice this year! It is inspiring to realize that anyone and everyone can and should grow grapes! Get gardening people! Feed yourselves from your own soil!
Sharon
Sep 25, 2010 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just bought my own grapevine this spring, and I wanted to learn how to grow and prune it properly, so I'll have grapes in about 3 years! Woo hoo!
This book was okay, but geared more toward someone with several grapevines, like a small vineyard, not just one lonely vine to train up an arbor/pergola! Still, it had a lot of good information.
Max
Aug 31, 2010 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who's tried to care for a vineyard knows that information can be spotty and inconsistant at best. A host of resources offer tidbits of information that must be culled, a little from this book, a little from that one. In his book, Ron really provides a solid anchor of practical information.

If you buy only one book on viticulture, make it this one.
Clay
Nov 16, 2012 Clay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tons of useful information on training and propagating vines,and on common pests and management. A bit weak on discussion of various climates and soils.
Tarn
Mar 07, 2010 Tarn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really the best little tome for anyone interested in viticulture outside of the mainstream - for the organic growers especially. Fun and informative from a renowned enthusiast.
Brennalee
Brennalee rated it did not like it
May 19, 2014
Marisa Corvisiero
Marisa Corvisiero rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
David Johnson
David Johnson rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2015
Corey
Corey rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2008
John Alden
John Alden rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Zander Westendarp
Zander Westendarp rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Sarah Hyde
Sarah Hyde rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Ron
Ron rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2008
Niko
Niko rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2017
Steven Wilson
Steven Wilson rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Ben S
Ben S rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Greg Howe
Greg Howe rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Norman Ramos
Norman Ramos rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Fred Wahlstrom
Fred Wahlstrom rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Casey Kirk
Oct 09, 2011 Casey Kirk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good all around vineyard book, not bent towards California but for every climate.
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Joseph Tebben
Joseph Tebben rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
harry j powell
harry j powell rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2014