Start by marking “The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture” as Want to Read:
The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture

The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Grapes are the most popular and widely grown fruit in the world. From the tropics to Alaska, grapes will grow successfully in almost every climate. Whether you raise them for fresh eating, or for making wine, juice, or jellies and preserves, the right grapes will reward you with abundant crops for a modest investment of time and effort.

Now for the first time comes a book f
Published December 1st 2002 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Grape Grower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grape Grower

Robert Houston
If you are serious about growing grapes this book is a must read. I have already altered what I'm doing in my vineyard based on this and I feel that I have real insight into natural plant cycles I have observed in my yard without realizing why they were happening.

this book is awesome
Matthew Philips
A great reference/textbook overall. I found it to be structured in a way that the author assumes you will purely reference a section or two rather than reading cover to cover and as a result covers the same concepts a few times. A wonderful look at a large variety of grapes which makes selecting a type for your region much easier. I found From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine a better source for a beginner's look at planting grapes, however, this book ...more
Justin  K. Rivers
It's comprehensive, detailed, and specific. Gives you all the details needed to start growing grapes yourself, and even includes information on grape breeding and grafting. Basically, it will get you started and will remain useful if you become more serious about viticulture. It gets a bit technical in places, but I found that very helpful, since many other gardening books do not provide enough concrete specific information.

The only slight qualm I have is that it came out in 2002, so if you wan
Cameron
A potentially useful reference for grape growers.
Lucinda
Wow, this guy knows his grapes! I learned why I didn't have a good crop this year and what I did wrong, but the book is not a practical guide. It is very scientific and detailed for the real enthusiast. I just want to know the basics so I can make grape juice this year! It is inspiring to realize that anyone and everyone can and should grow grapes! Get gardening people! Feed yourselves from your own soil!
Max
Anyone who's tried to care for a vineyard knows that information can be spotty and inconsistant at best. A host of resources offer tidbits of information that must be culled, a little from this book, a little from that one. In his book, Ron really provides a solid anchor of practical information.

If you buy only one book on viticulture, make it this one.
Sharon
I just bought my own grapevine this spring, and I wanted to learn how to grow and prune it properly, so I'll have grapes in about 3 years! Woo hoo!
This book was okay, but geared more toward someone with several grapevines, like a small vineyard, not just one lonely vine to train up an arbor/pergola! Still, it had a lot of good information.
Tarn
Really the best little tome for anyone interested in viticulture outside of the mainstream - for the organic growers especially. Fun and informative from a renowned enthusiast.
Clay
Tons of useful information on training and propagating vines,and on common pests and management. A bit weak on discussion of various climates and soils.
Casey Kirk
Good all around vineyard book, not bent towards California but for every climate.
Nisnora
Nisnora marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Robanjo
Robanjo marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 16, 2014
Jenn S
Jenn S marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Ibrahim Shabau
Ibrahim Shabau marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
leigh coppola
leigh coppola marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic ViticultureThe Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture FoodsReclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture