Ruchome obrazki (Świat Dysku, #10)

Ruchome obrazki (Discworld #10)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  31,505 ratings  ·  578 reviews
Kolejna powieść mistrza literatury fantastycznej poświęcona „Światu Dysku”. Ukryte we wnętrzu kamer chochliki błyskawicznie malują kolejne klatki na celuloidowej taśmie. Świat Dysku odkrywa magię Srebrnego Ekranu! Nie wystarczy jednak usiąść w kinowym fotelu i z przejęciem śledzić losy bohaterów "Porwanego wiatrem", najdziwniejszego filmu o Wojnie Domowej, jaki kiedykolwie...more
Published May 10th 2000 by Prószyński i S-ka (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Ruchome obrazki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruchome obrazki

Melki
Who'd want to spend their time moving pictures? Most of them looked alright where they were.

A shady sausage vendor and a student of wizardry head to Holy Wood for fame and fortune in the early days of the Discworld film industry. Hey, kids! Let's put on a show! Sounds like wholesome family entertainment, does it not?

Well...since this sprang from the mind of Terry Pratchett, expect chaos and devastation, licentious landladies, mass hysteria, dogs and cats sharing conversations...

S-o-o-o-o...in a...more
Tfitoby
This is Holy Wood. To pass the time quickly, you just film the clock hands moving fast... but when it's being written by Terry Pratchett why would you want to?

Moving Pictures, Pratchett's Discworld parody of Hollywood, appeals to me a great deal purely as a cinephile and wannabe film maker but as it's Pratchett it's also brilliant and brilliantly funny filled with wicked caricatures and wonderful characters, and of course evil puns aplenty.

In this must-read episode you get to know more about the...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm stingy with my 5 star ratings and considered going with a 4 here, but I really enjoyed this read. It is hilarious. From Trolls who don't want to get "type cast" (I played a troll who runs out and hits him with a rock) to a talking wonder dog who can't get noticed because he's too "scruffy" the cliches of the movies get very skewered. Everyone is headed to (the?)"Holy Wood" to be a star. And of course as we all know, moving pictures or, "the clicks" can effect the fabric of reality.

Sir Terry...more
Callista
Keely
I have a lot of friends who swear by Pratchett, but I found him rather dull. I tried reading the first book in the series, but I couldn't finish it. A friend suggested this as one of his better outings, so I bit.

He seems to harp on the most obvious jokes, extending one-note gags into paragraphs, chapters, or even whole books. I found that out of every ten jokes, one would make me laugh and nine would make me groan and roll my eyes. Really not a good rate of return.

His world-building is passable,...more
Chris
Given a choice between books and movies, many people - myself included - will say that books are always better than movies. "You can use your imagination," we'll say, "drawing on the powers of the human mind to create things that manifestly are not real. You can decide for yourself what the scenes look like and how the characters appear, rather than have some director feed his or her vision over yours."

Despite that, however, we all still love the movies. If you gave me a novelization of Casablan...more
Nathan
Part 10 of the Complete Discworld Reread

Wow, what a slog. When I started this reread I was wondering how a couple of those I had ignored would read a second time around, with “Moving Pictures” being my biggest fear. On this occasion my memory was correct, this may be the weakest Pratchett book until the football one released a few years back.

Now don’t get me wrong, even a bad Pratchett book is worth reading, and this wasn’t a complete waste of time. As per the usual, some of the humor hits hard...more
Kua
Dopo aver letto l'ennesimo libro di Pratchett (ok ok sono solo tre finora, ma aumenteranno!), mi è sorta spontanea una domanda: come diavolo è possibile che nessuno abbia ancora trasformato i suoi libri in film??? Sono praticamente perfetti per essere trasposti sul grande schermo, gli ingredienti ci sono tutti: humor, spessore, trame imprevedibili, colpi di scena... E allora come mai sono uscite solo poche produzioni per la televisione? Questa è una cosa che proprio non mi spiego. Ma passiamo al...more
Moving Pictures is the first in the so-called "Industrial Revolution" line of discworld novels. It was published in 1990, the same year as Eric, and is a wonderful satire on Hollywood and the film industry.
Main characters in this story are Victor Tugelbend, who devised a very intelligent system to fail exams at Unseen University "good enough" not to be thrown out, and Theda 'Ginger' Withel, who just wants to be herself, as big as possible. They are both drawn away from their day-to-day lives by...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
This is another perfect example of how Pratchett uses the discworld to question our own world and the things we do.

Moving pictures is all about the introduction of movies to the discworld and how it entrances everyone and changes peoples perception of their selves and the influence the new technoogy and media has on society.
Of course it wouldn't be a discworld novel if Holy Wood (the area the moving pictures are home to) didn't have its own agenda and ideas for the world.

I highly recommend this...more
Ashley
This book was very disappointing. Usually I have no trouble retaining interest in a Terry Pratchett/Discworld novel, but this one I had to force myself to finish.

I think my problem with it is that it's too literal. What I love about Pratchett's writing most of the time is how he manages to mock things scathingly while at the same time making wonderful (and more general) loving comments about humanity. By following such a narrow path as he did in this book (with the straight on Hollywood/Holy Wo...more
Kate
Synopsis from Google Books:

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of
David Sarkies
Discworld goes to Hollywood
21 May 2013

I must admit that this was not one of my favourite of Pratchett's books but I suspect that if I end up reading it again, the score might go up and the review may change, however we are getting to a point where maybe the best of Pratchett's Discword content is behind him and he is exploring other avenues to try and get a laugh. Okay, Pratchett does more than try to get a laugh, and in a way it is sort of like the Simpsons where Pratchett uses a fantasy world...more
Jamie
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett is the first of his Diskworld novels to make me go "Meh..." The idea is that an evil spirit breaks lose and starts putting ideas in people's heads that give birth to the creation of motion pictures, or "clicks" on the Disk. It's got enough good lines, jokes, and parodies to make it entertaining, but the whole Hollywood lampoon seems so out of place on the Diskworld that I found it really distracting and jarring. Indeed, Pratchett seems to anticipate this reacti...more
Bjoern
Wonderful!
A brilliant story of "a worlde gonne madde!" full of fine jibes against the "dream machine" of Hollywood and every other film maker ever walking our roundworld. it might not be so sophisticated as Pratchetts more recent works, but it's fresh, it's amusing and it shows so many "new" characters already grown old and routined in the newer books so it was a very enjoyable read full of wonders, laughs & wizards!
Somehow i especially liked the "first days on the job" of Mustrum Ridcully...more
Richard Stueber
This is the story of the beginning and end of the 'moving picture' industry on the Discworld. An ancient magic in a place called Holy Wood affects many people (and some animals) in strange ways.
Since I have seen thousands of movies and also spent a lot of time researching the motion picture industry from is beginnings in the 1890s the subject is of great interest to me.
A prime mover in this book is Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, who, instead of flogging his usual disgusting sausages, is promoting th...more
Mark
Sometimes I think Terry Pratchett should be nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature (or maybe Chemistry or Physics). Seriously! I'll write up my nomination and share it with you some day. As novels, the Discworld books don't hold up to rigorous critical scrutiny, but as performances of satirical fantasy they are peerless. Their plots are ridiculous and often lose all credibility by the climax. But the story and its credibility are not the point: how far the fantasy can take its reductio ad a...more
Dicehiggins
Oct 01, 2007 Dicehiggins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want a little showbiz magic in their lives
This was a fun book that borrowed a lot from the Hollywood heyday.....It follows Victor, Ginger, Dibbler and a talking dog, as they break into showbiz (Through a hole in a fence), turn light into gold, see the advent of talking pictures, and try to become flaming balls of gas and energy...uh I mean...stars. One of my favorite discworld books, and one I quote often.

"In a word -- im-possible!" "That's two words," said Dibbler.

"I'm vice-president of Throwing Out People Mr Dibbler Doesn't like the...more
Pat
There are a couple different kinds of Discworld books in the Pratchett library: the Vimes books, the Early Period books, the set about Rincewind and/or Wizards/Witches, and the set of odd one-offs. This would be a book about Wizards (although thankfully no Rincewind, who I kinda loathe) but mostly it's about the motion picture industry and Hollywood in general. The only central character who really carries over is Gaspode, the small stinky talking dog. The rest of the book (although the Libraria...more
J.
This one definitely grew on me in the last third or so. I do feel like it took quite a while to get started, and was (at least in the first half) a little more predictable (in plot as well as single jokes made) than I'm used to from Pratchett. I think what bothered me boils down to the fact that the idea (and execution of the first half) felt more like a gag, and as such the length felt like it dragged on more than I've ever felt a Pratchett book doing.

I definitely loved Vetinari and DEATH (as u...more
Marilag
You'd think, after the beginning humor, you'd expect most of the jokes would die out. It can't get any funnier than the previous funny, can it? What a load of cabbages. Things could get funnier, and the ratio of laughter volume over gradual page turns increased by leaps and bounds. I don't know how on earth I managed to survive over 20 years without having read any of the Discworld books until recently (The Truth was my first).

Pratchett shows his mastery not only with writing fiction, but he ext...more
Kythe42
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett is a humorous tale about what happens when alchemists learn to make film and subsequently movies or "moving pictures". Then suddenly lots of people feel compelled to travel to the small town of Holy Wood and become a part of the moving pictures business. I'm sure it goes without saying what Holy Wood is a satire of. A sort of strange magic is involved with the moving pictures though that not only compels people to get into the business, but that also seems to m...more
Ryan Patrick
Pratchett does Hollywood (or in Discworld, Holy Wood). It was fun to pick up on all the references to our Hollywood (the Oscar becomes a golden knight guarding a portal who looks a lot like uncle Oswald, or is it Osric; Gone with the Wind becomes Blown Away) - I'm sure I missed some. The story itself was pretty typical - some innocent minded soul who wants to try something new ends up unleashing forces who threaten to destroy the whole world. But you don't read Pratchett for the story, at least...more
Gemma Thomson
So far this has been the most disappointing entry in the Discworld series for me. It should have been half the length, with much less in the way of real-world parody. While the concept was mildly interesting - alchemists discover how to make motion pictures while under the influence of a mysterious force which is guiding them to recreate Hollywood - the first two-thirds of the book felt pretty vapid.

That said, the final scenes in Ankh-Morpork were as funny as any other Discworld book, were actio...more
Sam
Unsurprisingly given the title of this book, this is Terry Pratchett taking on the film industry in his usual satirical manner. Pratchett manages to compress the decades of development within the film industry into just a few months while keeping it as believable and 'real' as our film industry. The tale is full of in-jokes and sly nods to the film world, a few of which I probably missed, that had me sniggering and smirking to myself. It didn't read as well as some of his other books, the writin...more
Wastrel
On the one hand, Pratchett by this point is at or close to the peak of his powers. On the other hand, this probably isn't the book that shows off those powers most thoroughly; after books like Pyramids and Guards! Guards!, readers may find Moving Pictures to be a relatively shallow excursion.
Then again, it's creative and polished and funny and mostly reasonably gripping, so (and particularly if the light-hearted side of Pratchett appeals more to you than the serious stuff) this is a wonderfully...more
Megan Baxter
I wasn't under the weather this time, and again, I enjoyed, but didn't love it! Maybe I should just save the Terry Pratchetts for times when I'm sick. It's a weird quirk. Or maybe it's just that I love the Watch books, but haven't fallen for the rest of the universe quite so hard.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Matt
Now I remember why I don't read Terry Pratchett. He's got great beginnings, okay endings but highly tedious middles. It's rather like the premise is the point. He's at his best when sticking to Britishy bons mot or amusing descriptions (such as his version of popcorn, "banged grains," which if you apply lots of butter and salt tastes rather like salty butter). I think I might be willing to read the first 100 pages or so of most Discworld books but I couldn't slog my way through the next 250.

All...more
Charity
Only Terry Pratchett could take the history of movies, bring it to Discworld, infuse it with early movie gags (references to Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, and "talkies"), and give you a magic-eating monster in the process. It's not as laugh-out-loud hilarious as some of his other books, but it has one of the most intriguing plots -- it kept me reading until the end. Those familiar with Discworld will get a kick out of running amuck of familiar characters (the talking dog, the sausage sal...more
Ана Хелс
За мой омерзителен , но не и неочакван в проявлението си урок по невъзможностно писане, магията на Хоулиуъда или Светата гора се оказва по-силна от всички вселенски закони, и се просмуква през раните на съзиданието чак до корубата на великата костенурка, носеща света на Диска, където чичко Пратчет отново сериозно си развърта коня и нарушава всички правила и фенски постулати на обичта към нереалното в реалността, на картонените мечти изрязани от възможности, които никога няма да се сбъднат, на ал...more
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Bad Prince Charlie
  • Dead Funny: Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Pani jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.” 826 likes
“The universe contains any amount of horrible ways to be woken up, such as the noise of the mob breaking down the front door, the scream of fire engines, or the realization that today is the Monday which on Friday night was a comfortably long way off.

A dog's wet nose is not strictly speaking the worst of the bunch, but it has it's own peculiar dreadfulness which connoisseurs of the ghastly and dog owners everywhere have come to know and dread. It's like having a small piece of defrosting liver pressed lovingly against you.”
298 likes