Start by marking “La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil” as Want to Read:
La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil

La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  40 reviews
La dame dans l'auto : la plus blonde, la plus belle, la plus myope, la plus sentimentale, la plus menteuse, la plus vraie, la plus déroutante, la plus obstinée, la plus inquiétante des héroïnes...
Published December 31st 1980 by Denoël (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil

Chrissy
Interesting but unsatisfying. Japrisot falls to the mystery novel trap of building up an immensely intriguing and suspenseful narrative that he has to then tear apart clumsily in the last 30 pages to explain himself. The first two "acts" are stunning psychological noir material, fast-paced and full of character intricacies, secrets, and neuroses; an absolute thrill to read, the kind that forces your hand to keep turning the pages. The main character, Dany, grows more and more interesting over th ...more
Adrienne
Written in the 60's and therefore representative of it's time. So don't read this if you are easily offended by the 'misogyny' of the era (yes men did hit women and yes women hit them back....Burton and Taylor did it on umpteen occasions was it right? was it right to have kids working in cotton mills in 1800's Lancashire? I rest my case.....)

I loved this, and thought it would adapt very well to film; black and white;subtitles;'spoken' internal dialogue.

Story takes place over two days and is a da
Kelso
Such an expertly crafted book. I don’t normally read murder mysteries or noir thrillers, but this was excellent. Very intelligent and gripping. I recommend this one if you can find it.
I read this book a couple of years ago and could not put it down. I recently bought myself a copy in hardcover (I had borrowed my mom's previously) and immediately wanted to read it again. I'm still absolutely in love with this book.

First of all, Japrisot's writing style is phenomenal and it hooks you immediately. He creates intricate plots with complex characters and the story moves in a way that you just don't want to stop reading. This is probably my all time favorite book of his (although I
Karen
A classic that I read in college, I just reread it. It is one of those books that haunted me--and was a revelation at the time. It still stands up pretty well, but knowing the ending takes away from the suspense. If you haven't read it, you're in for a treat! I notice Amazon lists it new for $45, but you can get used copies in various shape for the price of shipping.
Phoebe
I must've read this book in the early 1970s -- sought it out after I read in one of Simone de Beauvoir's autobiographies that she and Sarte really liked it, and figured a murder mystery good enough for them was good enough for me! I've recommended it to others since, and nobody's been disappointed.
Jared Della Rocca
This is a REALLY difficult book to follow. Imagine watching a Hitchcock film. Backwards. In French. Without subtitles. Yeah, I think you get the picture.

First off, all the geography is French. Every landmark to the story, be it highway, hotel, or cafe - French. So to try and remember where she's been or where she's going is a lot harder than saying, "I went from the Empire State Building and then to Upper Manhattan, before quickly grabbing a subway and catching a flight from JFK."
Second, the p
Pauly
One of my favorite mystery novels.

A young lady decides, on a pure whim, to take her boss's car on a joyride to the Mediterranean (the action takes place in France during Bastille Day celebrations). She stops at a gas station to fill up the car, a brilliant white Thunderbird, and walks off to the bathroom to wash her face.
There she is attacked by an unknown assailant. Nothing is taken from her but her wrist is broken. When she complains to the manager of the station he tells her, bewildered, that
Marie-Dominique
It was good but I expected better.

The first chapters were quite boring but necessary to fill the storyline. Otherwise it's a good story although the end was disappointing ?

There was so much suspense and psychological aspects about the main character - Dany - that I thought it would end differently.

In the end it was just easy, that's why I am only giving 3 stars.
David B
Beautiful Dani takes her boss's Thunderbird for a joyride on impulse. Before long, a mysterious assailant breaks her hand in a service station bathroom and she begins to encounter people along the road who claim to have met her before. When she discovers a body in the trunk of the car, her descent into nightmare is nearly complete. Dani will question her very sanity and sense of identity before author Sebastien Japrisot unveils the truth to her and us in his clever, surprising finale. Dani is a ...more
Printable Tire
I thought this was going to be a sort of second-rate The Driver's Seat (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66...), but it's actually a formulaic, though very well written, psychological thriller. The whole time we are left to wonder whether Dany is a mad, unreliable narrator, and we are given no reason to guess she isn't until 3/4 through the book. The ending is a steamroller, devoid of the subtlety of the rest of the book, but until then it's a fine ride, though I found it oddly depressing, may ...more
Katja
Well, I read it all at once over one evening, so it is definitely entertaining. Although it is unclear why, because from the very beginning there is only one possible explanation to the what is happening and it turns out to be the correct one in the end.
David Bonesteel
Wanda
"The Lady in the Car with the Glasses and a Gun" was written in 1966 and translated from French. A secretary takes her boss's car for a long ride from Paris to the south of France. Throughout the journey she finds traces of herself along the way -- in places she has never been before. A fascinating read.

At times I found myself lost in the events that were happening. I don't know if that was a result of the translation or the author's writing. Regardless, I stayed engaged and would read Sébastie
fiafia
Roman très célèbre en Russie (pour des raisons, en dehors de sa qualité littéraire, que les étrangers et les plus jeunes ne sauront plus comprendre) mais plutôt méconnu en France, je l'ai relu en attendant la sortie du film éponyme de Sfar, annoncée pour le mois d'avril. Pour le film, silence radio pour le moment mais j'ai aimé avoir relu le livre quelques dizaines d'années après la première fois et en version originale. Le charme opère toujours. Étonnant et délicieusement suranné. Hâte de voir ...more
Appoline
Dany Longo est un personnage fantastique. Quelle jolie découverte.
Kristine
Great psychological suspense by Sebastien Japrisot. Keeps you guessing until the end. It's a hard-to-find book though, as are all his books except A Very Long Engagement, which I thought was excellent. I wonder why his mysteries are out of print, since this one was so entertaining. I went into it knowing nothing about the plot, as it should be, so I won't say anything more.
Ellee
The book took awhile to read because until the end, neither the characters nor you, the reader are sure what's happening. Thus, it takes some extra effort. It's a great story though and is tied up well in the end. Not a book for everyone and not as straightforward as an American noir novel, but a wonderful addition to the genre. Highly recommended to all noir fiction fans!
Andy
Sep 11, 2011 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerdy girls with 4 eyes
Recommended to Andy by: Snowy
Shelves: kool-imports
Didn't like this one as much as "One Deadly Summer" or "Trap For Cinderella", but still a corker. I thought "Lady With The Glasses" dragged quite a bit, but when it rolled it rocked like the best of Japrisot at his finest. I still dig his noir erotica (noirotica?) but this one kinda hurt a little bit. Next on my list = "Women In Evidence".
Nina1982
This is a well-written mystery with an interesting main character.I enjoyed it and as a side note,it's amazing how much less bloodthirsty similar stories used to be written in 1960s compared to today.
Tom Leland
Really wanted to give 2 stars, but realize would be unfair because I'm just becoming bored of tricky whodunits...objectively this could even deserve 4 stars
Mathieu
Un des romans policiers qui a amorcé en France la "nouvelle vague" du polar. Tout se démêle, et c' est la loi du genre, dans les dernières pages et alors, vient l' illumination !
Jane
I thought I'd figured out was going on, but I was pretty much totally wrong. I love this guy: makes me want to read "A very long engagement" again. So clever, and so human.
Olga Kark
Очень печальная, местами безысходная, но захватывающая и до последнего держащая в напряжении детективная история. Будем считать это знакомством с классикой жанра.
Jennifer Doolan
Page turner, really exciting, gets you thinking what the reasons are for what is happening. Great read but thought the ending was a bit of a let down.
Kit Door
This is Japrisot's only 'happy ending' book, and I just love the main character - she is witty, cute, and the opposite of damsel in distress!
Sean Condon
Loved this film when I was a kid. Couldn't find the film (although I have now) so I read the book. Good but not great. But really definitely good.
Caren Pomar
A chilling, baffling psychological fooler....written on the back cover, so true, you wonder where she is going next and why!
Peter Weissman
It's amazing that this guy is not better known. He's an insightful writer, gets into the heads of his characters.
Ann
This is the best mystery I've ever read. I didn't figure it out until the end. Very smart and well written.
  • Fatale
  • Vertigo (NFT/BFI Film Classics)
  • Les Grandes marées
  • Saga
  • Quarantine In The Grand Hotel
  • Няма нищо по-хубаво от лошото време
  • A Study in Terror
  • The Murder of Halland
  • The Bride Wore Black
  • Les quatre fleuves (Commissaire Adamsberg, #3)
  • L'hiver de force
  • Легенды и мифы Древней Греции
  • We Always Treat Women Too Well
  • The Women at the Pump
  • Железный король. Узница Шато-Гайара (The Accursed Kings, #1-2)
  • Necklace and Calabash
  • The Dead All Have the Same Skin
  • Pseudo
Sébastien Japrisot was a French author, screenwriter and film director, born in Marseille. His pseudonym was an anagram of Jean-Baptiste Rossi, his real name. Japrisot has been nicknamed "the Graham Greene of France".
Famous in the Francophony, he was little known in the English-speaking world, though a number of his novels have been translated into English and have been made into films.
His first n
More about Sébastien Japrisot...
A Very Long Engagement Trap for Cinderella One Deadly Summer The Sleeping Car Murders Women in Evidence