Start by marking “La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil” as Want to Read:
La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil

La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  491 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
La dame dans l'auto : la plus blonde, la plus belle, la plus myope, la plus sentimentale, la plus menteuse, la plus vraie, la plus déroutante, la plus obstinée, la plus inquiétante des héroïnes...
Published December 31st 1980 by Denoël (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil

Chrissy
Interesting but unsatisfying. Japrisot falls to the mystery novel trap of building up an immensely intriguing and suspenseful narrative that he has to then tear apart clumsily in the last 30 pages to explain himself. The first two "acts" are stunning psychological noir material, fast-paced and full of character intricacies, secrets, and neuroses; an absolute thrill to read, the kind that forces your hand to keep turning the pages. The main character, Dany, grows more and more interesting over th ...more
Mar 19, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I read this book a couple of years ago and could not put it down. I recently bought myself a copy in hardcover (I had borrowed my mom's previously) and immediately wanted to read it again. I'm still absolutely in love with this book.

First of all, Japrisot's writing style is phenomenal and it hooks you immediately. He creates intricate plots with complex characters and the story moves in a way that you just don't want to stop reading. This is probably my all time favorite book of his (although I
Adrienne
Aug 04, 2014 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign-language
Written in the 60's and therefore representative of it's time. So don't read this if you are easily offended by the 'misogyny' of the era (yes men did hit women and yes women hit them back....Burton and Taylor did it on umpteen occasions was it right? was it right to have kids working in cotton mills in 1800's Lancashire? I rest my case.....)

I loved this, and thought it would adapt very well to film; black and white;subtitles;'spoken' internal dialogue.

Story takes place over two days and is a da
Kelso
Apr 02, 2010 Kelso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an expertly crafted book. I don’t normally read murder mysteries or noir thrillers, but this was excellent. Very intelligent and gripping. I recommend this one if you can find it.
Karen
Oct 02, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic that I read in college, I just reread it. It is one of those books that haunted me--and was a revelation at the time. It still stands up pretty well, but knowing the ending takes away from the suspense. If you haven't read it, you're in for a treat! I notice Amazon lists it new for $45, but you can get used copies in various shape for the price of shipping.
Karel
Sep 13, 2015 Karel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adapted, 2015
Ondanks dat Dame in auto met bril en geweer geschreven en vertaald is in de jaren '60, is het heel levendig en vlot. Japrisot hanteerde een enorm moderne taal die atypisch was voor zijn tijd.

Dit boek is een (psychologische) thriller die heel actueel aanvoelt (het lijkt me dat ene Gillian Flynn veel van deze schrijver geleerd heeft), maar tegelijk bol staat van verwijzingen naar de typische Franse populaire cultuur en sociale verhoudingen van de jaren '60. Meestal had ik geen idee wat er precies
Phoebe
Aug 01, 2008 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must've read this book in the early 1970s -- sought it out after I read in one of Simone de Beauvoir's autobiographies that she and Sarte really liked it, and figured a murder mystery good enough for them was good enough for me! I've recommended it to others since, and nobody's been disappointed.
Jared Della Rocca
This is a REALLY difficult book to follow. Imagine watching a Hitchcock film. Backwards. In French. Without subtitles. Yeah, I think you get the picture.

First off, all the geography is French. Every landmark to the story, be it highway, hotel, or cafe - French. So to try and remember where she's been or where she's going is a lot harder than saying, "I went from the Empire State Building and then to Upper Manhattan, before quickly grabbing a subway and catching a flight from JFK."
Second, the p
Marie
Dámu jsem četla poprvé asi před třiceti lety a v mých vzpomínkách to byla skvělá detektivka - tento víkend jsem si ji dala podruhé a musím s radostí konstatovat, že neztratila nic ze své brilantnosti. Je to skvěle vystavěný příběh, který nabere na prvních stránkách své tempo a vy prostě musíte hltat stránky, protože "jak to doopravdy bylo" je otázkou života smrti. Je to chytré, skvěle napsané, hlavní hrdinka je sympatická - co víc si od detektivky přát?
Pauly
Aug 16, 2008 Pauly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite mystery novels.

A young lady decides, on a pure whim, to take her boss's car on a joyride to the Mediterranean (the action takes place in France during Bastille Day celebrations). She stops at a gas station to fill up the car, a brilliant white Thunderbird, and walks off to the bathroom to wash her face.
There she is attacked by an unknown assailant. Nothing is taken from her but her wrist is broken. When she complains to the manager of the station he tells her, bewildered, that
Maria Altiki
Oct 23, 2015 Maria Altiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Ο αυθεντικός τίτλος του βιβλίου τα λέει όλα , «The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun»
(Η κυρία στο αυτοκίνητο με τα γυαλιά και ένα όπλο). Ένα πολύ καλογραμμένο neo polar σε πρωτοπρόσωπη αφήγηση από την αριστοτεχνική πένα του Sebastian Japrisot ή αλλιώς του επονομαζόμενου και «Γκράχαμ Γκριν της Γαλλίας» . Οι εξελίξεις του βιβλίου είναι καταιγιστικές και προχωρώντας την ανάγνωση βυθίζεσαι σε ένα λαβύρινθο γεμάτο γρίφους, οφθαλμαπάτες αλλά και ένοχα μυστικά. Μήπως η ηρωίδα είναι τρελή; Μήπως δι
Sep 18, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'ai tellement aimé ce roman conseillé par mon libraire ! Japrisot manie avec un talent incroyable le suspense et les retournements de situations... La psychologie des personnes est très fine, et l'intrigue de ce thriller est si bien menée ! On s'imagine tous les dénouements, tous les coupables et toutes les victimes et puis finalement... on est sans cesse surpris !
C'est simple, je suis FAN de Japrisot !
Marie-Dominique
Aug 08, 2015 Marie-Dominique rated it liked it
It was good but I expected better.

The first chapters were quite boring but necessary to fill the storyline. Otherwise it's a good story although the end was disappointing ?

There was so much suspense and psychological aspects about the main character - Dany - that I thought it would end differently.

In the end it was just easy, that's why I am only giving 3 stars.
David B
Jan 03, 2014 David B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Dani takes her boss's Thunderbird for a joyride on impulse. Before long, a mysterious assailant breaks her hand in a service station bathroom and she begins to encounter people along the road who claim to have met her before. When she discovers a body in the trunk of the car, her descent into nightmare is nearly complete. Dani will question her very sanity and sense of identity before author Sebastien Japrisot unveils the truth to her and us in his clever, surprising finale. Dani is a ...more
Printable Tire
I thought this was going to be a sort of second-rate The Driver's Seat (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66...), but it's actually a formulaic, though very well written, psychological thriller. The whole time we are left to wonder whether Dany is a mad, unreliable narrator, and we are given no reason to guess she isn't until 3/4 through the book. The ending is a steamroller, devoid of the subtlety of the rest of the book, but until then it's a fine ride, though I found it oddly depressing, may ...more
Katja
Apr 05, 2014 Katja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ru, kindle
Well, I read it all at once over one evening, so it is definitely entertaining. Although it is unclear why, because from the very beginning there is only one possible explanation to the what is happening and it turns out to be the correct one in the end.
Lille Mig
Mar 30, 2016 Lille Mig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ejer
En meget spændende og anderledes bog som var meget svært at lægge fra mig.
Man for stillet en masse spørgsmål og får en følelse og forståelse for Dany longo som gør man bare må læse det næste kapitel!
David Bonesteel
Jun 07, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tatiana Wujkowska
Jan 07, 2016 Tatiana Wujkowska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Забавно узнать, что кое-кто считает эту lucky психопатку похожей на меня.
Светлы мои волосы, черна моя душа, да?)))
Wanda
Nov 25, 2011 Wanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
"The Lady in the Car with the Glasses and a Gun" was written in 1966 and translated from French. A secretary takes her boss's car for a long ride from Paris to the south of France. Throughout the journey she finds traces of herself along the way -- in places she has never been before. A fascinating read.

At times I found myself lost in the events that were happening. I don't know if that was a result of the translation or the author's writing. Regardless, I stayed engaged and would read Sébastie
Klavdiya Fokina
Крайне неинтересно читать книги с персонажами, которые, по твоему мнению, не существуют. Однако примерно к трети книги автор исправляется и создает довольно правдоподобные образы.
Сюжет и разгадка довольно прозрачны, поэтому оценка не выше среднего. Подходит для легкого, необременительного чтения.
Ken
Dec 09, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this French noir novel Dany Longo is on the road in a Thunderbird and confused about her possible involvement in a murder.
Antonella
Jan 20, 2016 Antonella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In italiano: LA SIGNORA DELL'AUTO CON GLI OCCHIALI E UN FUCILE. Accattivante!
Jacqueline
Jan 25, 2016 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vraiment très fan de Japrisot. Le suspense est insoutenable. J'adore.
Martha Curtis
Dec 28, 2015 Martha Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Never knew what happened until the very end. Recommend to everybody, whether a mystery fan or not. You will not be disappointed.
fiafia
May 17, 2015 fiafia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roman très célèbre en Russie (pour des raisons, en dehors de sa qualité littéraire, que les étrangers et les plus jeunes ne sauront plus comprendre) mais plutôt méconnu en France, je l'ai relu en attendant la sortie du film éponyme de Sfar, annoncée pour le mois d'avril. Pour le film, silence radio pour le moment mais j'ai aimé avoir relu le livre quelques dizaines d'années après la première fois et en version originale. Le charme opère toujours. Étonnant et délicieusement suranné. Hâte de voir ...more
Appoline
Jan 25, 2015 Appoline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dany Longo est un personnage fantastique. Quelle jolie découverte.
Catherine Letendre
Apr 15, 2016 Catherine Letendre rated it it was amazing
Très surprenant. Je ne suis habituellement pas une fan de suspense, mais celui-ci est très bien monté. À un moment donné on ne comprend plus rien et on se laisse simplement porter par l'histoire en attendant son dénouement. Ce que j'ai beaucoup apprécié c'est l'absence de violence, de stress, d'humour noir et de gens macabres. Comment l'auteur a réussi à écrire un suspense sans toutes ces choses négatives, je n'en ai aucune idée, mais c'est très réussi!
Kristine
Jul 31, 2011 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great psychological suspense by Sebastien Japrisot. Keeps you guessing until the end. It's a hard-to-find book though, as are all his books except A Very Long Engagement, which I thought was excellent. I wonder why his mysteries are out of print, since this one was so entertaining. I went into it knowing nothing about the plot, as it should be, so I won't say anything more.
Ellee
Jan 05, 2011 Ellee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book took awhile to read because until the end, neither the characters nor you, the reader are sure what's happening. Thus, it takes some extra effort. It's a great story though and is tied up well in the end. Not a book for everyone and not as straightforward as an American noir novel, but a wonderful addition to the genre. Highly recommended to all noir fiction fans!
  • Fatale
  • Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir
  • Vertigo
  • The Tale of Hodja Nasreddin: Disturber of the Peace
  • Няма нищо по-хубаво от лошото време
  • Le parfum de la dame en noir
  • Les Grandes Marées
  • The Monkey and The Tiger
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • Асканио
  • Wszystko czerwone
Sébastien Japrisot was a French author, screenwriter and film director, born in Marseille. His pseudonym was an anagram of Jean-Baptiste Rossi, his real name. Japrisot has been nicknamed "the Graham Greene of France".
Famous in the Francophony, he was little known in the English-speaking world, though a number of his novels have been translated into English and have been made into films.
His first n
More about Sébastien Japrisot...