Start by marking “Harrowgate” as Want to Read:
Harrowgate

Harrowgate

Michael should be overjoyed by the birth of his son, but his wife, Sarah, won't let him touch the baby or allow anyone to visit. Greta, an intrusive, sinister doula has wormed her way into their lives, driving a wedge between Michael and his family. Every time he leaves the Harrowgate, he returns to find his beloved wife and baby altered. He feels his family slipping away, ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Harrowgate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harrowgate

Ms. Nikki
What sacrifices would you make to keep your family together? What stories would you tell yourself to keep things the way they were? And if you had to, would you be able to let them go?

Michael's wife, Sarah, is pregnant when he has to leave for a business trip where means of communication are precarious at best. Near the end of his trip he gets a call that there's been an emergency and Sarah's gone to hospital.

On Michael's trip home, he imagines all kind of horrible scenarios, fearing the worst.
Patrick O'Neil
Oct 02, 2013 Patrick O'Neil rated it it was amazing
Love is a motherfucker, and what we humans do for it is the clincher for all worst case scenarios. How far would you go to keep a loved one? People stay in the unhealthiest relationships, the most dysfunctional situation, and the living hells of their own creation, all in the name of love. But when outside forces cause undue mayhem in your love life, what would you do? Would you die for someone? Would you stretch your beliefs way past reality and hold on for dear life to their very soul? It's a ...more
Zoeytron
Sep 10, 2013 Zoeytron rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The name of this novel was chosen with care as it is indeed a harrowing tale that is deeply disturbing. For me, it began with a vague sense of dread that segued into a living nightmare. It had a twisted surprise early on, then another as the story progressed. I am purposely keeping this review short as I do not want to chance giving anything away. Hard to shake off the chill even now. It was superb.

This was a first-reads giveaway, thank you. Well done!
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
When I saw Harrowgate while stalking NetGalley, I knew I had to have it. I mean, just look at that synopsis. It sounds creepy, thrilling, dark, everything my little heart desires in a book. And it was all those things, for about 15% of the book.

You're pretty much given all the secrets immediately. Within a few pages, you know what the creepy part is, who the villain is, and the story pretty much deflates like a suicidal balloon.

Page after page it was the same routine. The same things happen, th
Heidi Ward
Kate Maruyama's Harrowgate came out of left field late in the year to rock my top ten of 2013. Harrowing (pun intended) yet can't-put-it-down compelling, Maruyama's debut defies genre, a unique family romance that both spooked me and pulled at my heartstrings, romantic and repellent at the same time. I'd love to say more, but you'll be glad I didn't. Harrowgate winks at some familiar tropes -- happy couple in spooky New York apartment? Check. Meddling older woman with special teas? Check. Howeve ...more
Yuvi Zalkow
Jul 09, 2013 Yuvi Zalkow rated it it was amazing
For me, this is first a family story. It is about love. The question that kept me reading wasn't what creepy things were happening (though I loved that part too), but how a loving family handles all the creepy stuff that they face. Once I started this book, I couldn't stop turning the pages. Kate Maruyama has crafted a wonderful, ghostly world here, where even a cup of tea is scary. I would definitely recommend it. Though I admit that after finishing this book, I hugged my son extra tightly befo ...more
Travis Starnes
Dec 27, 2013 Travis Starnes rated it did not like it
Although this book does dark and disturbing very well I really did not enjoy reading it. On the positive side Maruyama has a good handle on writing suspense and mystery. The plot and its various twists definitely have the potential for keeping the reader on the edge of their seats. If this plot was in the hands of another writer it could possibly be an amazing tale.

The big issue however was that it was not written by someone else. I found the writing to be extremely clunky and heavy handed. Sent
Victoria
Dec 02, 2013 Victoria rated it it was ok
This book opens with a creepy, New York City apartment building, and a general Rosemary's Baby kind of atmosphere. Michael, a geologist, hurriedly returns home after belatedly receiving word that his wife, Sarah, has gone into labor with their son, Tim. Upon his arrival, Sarah seems different - doing her best to cut him off from the outside world, wrapping this new family in isolation in their apartment. The only intrusion that she reacts calmly to is that of the mysterious new doula, Greta.

Des
Nov 20, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
For me, this book is a allegory for grief and loss. As Elizabeth Bishop writes in her poem "The Art of Losing," our lives are riddled with loss, yet we go on. She writes, "it's not disaster," though her final line belies this, reveals that loss always feels disastrous. Maruyama ingeniously captures what happens when one who loses is stuck in the disaster of loss through the tale of Michael who returns home to his dead wife and child though they remain vividly alive to him. Maruyama's deftness ...more
Angelina Justice
Oct 01, 2013 Angelina Justice rated it really liked it
An engaging postmodern Gothic novel full of strong, memorable characters.

The story revolves around a young couple and their child, but features a strong supporting cast of characters. We get to meet the psychologist down the hall, the overbearing "doula", the needy mothers of Harrowgate (and elsewhere). We meet the oppressive in-laws with their overbearing social requirements. We meet the off-beat mother who is comfortable in her boots.

All the components of Gothic literature reside in this mode
Raven
Sep 15, 2013 Raven rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First of all let me start by saying that I received this book for free through the GoodReads First Reads program.

We start the story by being introduced to Michael who is coming home from a business trip and anxiously riding in a cab while trying to get home to his wife and their newborn son who was born while he was away. The only problem is that Michael cannot get in contact with anyone to see how they are doing. When he finally does reach his apartment he finds his wife changed a bit which he
S. Wideman
Feb 04, 2014 S. Wideman rated it did not like it
J. Yandell
Oct 22, 2013 J. Yandell rated it liked it
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

This one grabbed me quickly, and kept me turning pages — and that's about the highest praise I can give any book. It's well-written and the sense of increasing dread never lets up. The characters and their feelings for each other are captured beautifully.... Really one of the better books I've picked up this year.

HOWEVER.... the suspense kept building and building, and all these intriguing questions kept piling up: Who or what is Greta? What does she want? Why does time move so
Heather
Sep 24, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! This is the type of book that pulls you in right from the beginning and I devoured this book in two days. It had the things I expected: suspense, menace, dread, moments of surprise, but so much more that I didn't expect. I didn't expect love and family and deeper questions to surface. The writing allows you to feel deeply invested in the characters, as people, without ever taking away from the drama and suspense of the story. It isn't some typical horror book that wraps itself ...more
Telaina
Jul 14, 2013 Telaina rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book that is the perfect blend of supernatural, family, relationships and mystery. There are no clunky boring parts at all and you are constantly turning pages to see how the characters are going to solve their problems--and their problems are big, of the life and death variety.

I highly recommend this great read for fans of literature, Stephen King fans, and anyone who loves a good ghost story.

Lisa Wolf
A horror story that is really a tale of love and loss, Harrowgate surprised me with its deep emotional impact and sheer hypnotic pull.

As Harrowgate opens, geologist Michael is rushing home to his pregnant wife Sarah. He'd been out in the field on a remote assignment, and after receiving a cryptic message about an emergency, it has taken him close to two weeks to navigate the Jeep rides and multiple airplane transfers that finally bring him to his New York apartment building. Unable to reach his
Terra Whiteman
Nov 13, 2013 Terra Whiteman rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Originally posted on The Lucid Pen

Harrowgate is not so much a horror as it is a tale of loss and love in macabre form. A third of the way through the novel I had this feeling of dread--one that wasn't from the story itself but from the fear that something I had already figured out was going to be the surprise ending, but thankfully that "plot twist" wasn't all of the story's core. The only bone I have to pick with the novel is the very obvious set-up to a (supposedly) shocking turn of events ha
Feb 17, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
There are strange things afoot in Harrowgate, an apartment block in New York, where Michael is returning home to his wife after a work trip abroad. In the cab from the airport Michael frets and worries; after receiving the phone call from his pregnant wife over a week ago saying she was in labour he has heard nothing more, can’t get through to anyone, the only contact he’s had was with her sister Anna and that call was cut off before he could establish what was going on....
On arriving at his apa
Obsidian
Jan 06, 2016 Obsidian rated it really liked it
Harrowgage is a debut novel by Kate Maruyama. The story revolves around a married couple, Michael and Sarah who are excited to welcome their first child together. However, Sarah gives birth while Michael is away on an excursion and comes back to New York to find his wife behaving oddly with their new son Tim who she does not want him to touch. Also, Sarah has gotten a new friend called Greta who comes and goes as she pleases and seems to have an undisguised hostility towards Michael.

I don't want
Linda O'Donnell F.
I won a copy of Harrowgate by Kate Maruyama through Goodreads for an honest review. Thank you to Goodreads and to Kate Maruyama.

Harrowgate deals with the heavy, heavy topic of loss. It's the one element, unfortunately, that ties us together as humans. You can't avoid it. You can't run away from it. It suffocates you from the inside out. You will never draw a careless breath ever again.

I found myself treading through the first few pages not knowing what would lie ahead. And isn't that like life i
Cheryl
Nov 02, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
I was very intrigued by the premise of this book. I thought it would be paranormal. It is but not in the way that some readers and even I had had originally expected. When I think paranormal, I think werewolves, vampires, etc. This book is none of that just so that you are not disappointed.

I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand I liked this book but on the other hand, I did almost give up on it. This is what happened when I read this book. I read and got to about chapter 4 and then
Elaine
Oct 07, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I really enjoyed this read about Michael and Sarah, first time parents of Tim and the strange hold that mysterious Doula Greta has over them. It is best not to know too much about the plot before you read it, so as not to spoil what, for me at least, was a gripping pageturner. Right from the first couple of pages you know that something is not quite right and what transpires is a sinister romantic chiller/horror about the power of love and parenthood. The tale is told from the perspectives of ...more
Sophia Koehn
Nov 22, 2013 Sophia Koehn rated it it was amazing
WOW!! This was a surprise for me. First - if you're thinking of reading this book - do NOT read even the short 'about this book'. I had it in my kindle and grabbed and started reading without reviewing why I had picked the book so had no idea of what the story line was and it turns out that was a FANTASTIC way to head into this book. You want absolutely no spoilers or idea of what is going on when you start reading - makes the experience much more pleasurable.

And yes - you SHOULD read this book
Matthew
Oct 13, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Harrowgate was one of those random reads that just happened to catch my attention in just the right way. What it was, I can't be sure. But I'm glad it did.

Maruyama delivers a delicious piece of fiction that explores the difficulties that emerge from a long-distance relationship. On the surface it is simple, yet as the reader descends into the world, inklings of self-doubt and an inability to adapt consumes all thought.

It was a wonderful journey full of visual flair and a little mystery. I recom
Wendy Ortiz
Nov 04, 2013 Wendy Ortiz rated it it was amazing
This book is downright filmic. Kate Maruyama creates a universe you get sucked into, a feeling that is echoed in the story itself. I loved this book as a lover of horror, of the supernatural, and, maybe strangely, as a mother. I finished it in three sittings though it could easily have been two if life didn't get in the way (which is also a theme in the book). I love the turns this story took and will think about it for a long time after.
Lee Stoops
Oct 08, 2013 Lee Stoops rated it it was amazing
Compelling from page one - love, loss, ghosts whose haunting you'd welcome, darkness that goes for emotive reality rather than dramatic gimmes. Here's a debut worthy of its readers. Highly recommended (particularly if you're familiar with the grief of lives taken too soon).
Dec 04, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
I started this last night after racing through the Silent Wife. It's an interesting premise, but I think it would have been more effective as a short story. It's a good eerie read, but could have been much shorter.
Bibliophile
Nov 03, 2015 Bibliophile rated it it was ok
This would have made a great short story, I think. At nearly 300 pages, it was repetitive. The same scenarios kept playing over and over, and the idea, while intriguing, couldn't sustain an entire novel. I wouldn't mind reading something else by the author though.
Donald
Dec 05, 2016 Donald rated it it was amazing
The set up for this one happens on the fly as part of the story rather than as a preface. Nice. And the author puts you there, in the cab ride home for instance, with sensory details that make the story come alive—making it a cinematic experience to read. Really nice.

The premise and delivery whittle the characters down to a fine point, and the ending—Michael's final realization, growth and closure could go no other way. But you don't know that until you get there with him. And that's the thing a
Dan Barr
Jan 28, 2014 Dan Barr rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I actually liked this book more than the three star rating I gave it. I know that doesn't exactly make sense, but bear with me for a moment. Harrowgate has a lot going for it; a great set of characters, a spooky, claustrophobic atmosphere, and a well driven plot that keeps you reading. It never really delivers, however.

I was worried when the book seemed to blow its "twist" by the second chapter (first chapter, if you knew what you were looking for), but really, that didn't turn out to be a prob
Huntsville-Madiso...: Recent Reads - Harrowgate 3 12 Jan 25, 2014 09:12PM
  • House of Windows
  • The Mourning House
  • The Best Horror of the Year, Volume Six
  • Windeye
  • Bean There, Done That (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #3)
  • In the Mean Time
  • We Live Inside You
  • The Darkest Lullaby
  • Willy White Wings: Willy White Wings
  • Fifty Shades Effed
  • Never Say Pie (A Pie Shop Mystery #2)
  • The Figure in the Carpet and Other Stories
  • Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers
  • Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn
Kate Maruyama writes, teaches, cooks, and eats in Los Angeles, where she lives with her husband and two children. Her fiction has been published in several literary journals in print and online and she holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Antioch University Los Angeles.

In 2009, she co-founded a literary website with Diane Sherlock, Annotation Nation which publishes articles by writers on the craf
More about Kate Maruyama...

“cab seat, which causes his leather jacket to creak uncomfortably. How long has it been? Sarah called a week ago last Friday. He’s tired of sitting. His left leg has gone numb again and the occasional shooting pain in his lower back has grown into a ceaseless” 1 likes