Start by marking “When You Wander: A Search-And-Rescue Dog Story” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
When You Wander: A Sea...
Margarita Engle

When You Wander: A Search-And-Rescue Dog Story

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When you wander
down a leafy path
I can smell
your invisible
trail . . .

This cozy story gently teaches children what to do if they lose their way, and reassures them that a search-and-rescue dog can find them wherever they are. And once a child is found, the dog will bring people to make sure that everyone gets home safe and sound.

Full of interesting facts about search-and-res
Published April 30th 2013 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about When You Wander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Wander

I can’t wait to share this book with my young granddaughter who needs to learn to hug a tree if she should ever get lost in the forests of the Rockies (where she goes often), and that there will be sweet rescue dogs who will be looking for her. The book tells a good, not scary, story of a little girl who does wander, but it is told from the dog’s point of view, what he will smell, and how he will follow the trail. For example, he says, “When I sniff your delicious shoes…I learn that you love to ...more
The Styling Librarian
When You Wander- A Search-and-Rescue Dog Story by Margarita Engle, illustrated by Mary Morgan – Awww, how beautiful does this text demonstrate the importance and ability of a search and rescue dog. Brought tears to my eyes reading through a dog’s point of view. Margarita has a beautiful ability to select gorgeous words that throw you into her book whether in a touching picture book about a little child that a search and rescue dog is locating or through one of her beautiful novels in verse. I’m ...more
bookaday #50. Tender story about the process of a search and rescue dog looking for a lost boy. Very young child friendly. What to do if lost alone in the woods? hug a tree, good advice for anyone lost in the great outdoors. Learn some new facts about a dog nose as well.
I recently used this book in a pre-school story time about dog heroes. This book is written from the dog's point of view as he tells how he is searching for "you" by following "your" scents, footprints and other clues. The dog does find the young child at the end. It is a very good story with appealing and sympathetic illustrations.
A dog that has just graduated from "sniffing school" advises readers what to do if they become lost in the woods, and assures them that his smart nose will lead him to where they are. Includes facts about dogs' noses.
Beautiful picture book told from a rescue dog's point of view, as he searches for a little boy that is lost in the woods. Reads in a poetic manner. Illustrations show dog searching for boy, as he sees him in his thought bubbles. I love the ending when the boy is home, safe in bed and thinking of the dog in his thought bubble. Author has fun Dog Nose Facts and a Note to Parents and Teachers in endpapers. Author's acknowledgments in the front matter is a must read!
Marissa Garcia
Tender, poetic storytelling paired with adorable illustration = success!
This a sweet story about a search and rescue dog that finds a young boy that has wondered too far from home and needs help being found, also including a bit of the process that the dog goes through along the way. I think this book made it out like everyone should and does own one of these dogs to find any of your own wayward children, and not necessarily a special service that trains these dogs to help a community or area. The book would have benefited with an afterward with additional informati ...more
Not only does this book introduce children to dogs used for search and rescue efforts, but it offers tips for what to do if they get lost in the woods. The author suggests staying in one place and waiting for rescue instead of wandering further off. I liked how the text and watercolor, gouache, and colored pencil illustrations pay tribute to the sensitive noses of dogs. There are even facts about those noses in the back matter.
Told from the perspective of a search-and-rescue dog, a young child is rescued after being lost in the woods. This story is sweetly done and is perfect for preschool or kindergarten students who might need to know about search-and-rescue dogs. I imagine children who spend a good deal of time hiking and outdoors with their families or kids growing up close to national or state parks.
Touching and also informative story about how dogs are used in search and rescue efforts. This story reminds children to find a tree and stay put until they are found. Interesting facts are included at the end about the amazing facts surrounding dog noses and rescue efforts.
Sharon Lawler
A very tender story in which a graduate of "sniff school" uses all his skill to find a small child that has wandered away. Explains to the small child what to do if lost, while explaining how they will be found.Illustrations in watercolor, gouache, and colored pencils.
Really nice story of a search dog finding a missing boy. I especially enjoyed the dog nose facts and advice for parents in the back. Perfect book for parents to share with their child as a joint learning experience.
Mary Lee
Picture book companion to MOUNTAIN DOG.
More of a "dog and girl bonding story" than a search and rescue dog story, which it had been more on the nonfiction end then just covering the feelings and what the dog can smell.
I really enjoyed the gentle text and pictures in this one. It really only works for kids getting lost outside, but it's a cute book, with fun rescue dog facts included.
This book is great for young kids to learn how to stay safe while lost and that help is on the way! The artwork is absolutely fab!
I don't know why, maybe I'm just a little emotional (not like me at all), but this book was very sweet and moving. Absolutely loved it!
Robyn Schultz
Charming! My son loved it and so did I. Really enjoyed all the information at the end of the book about dogs noses.
Cin-Ru added it
Nov 17, 2015
Cynthia Crosley
Cynthia Crosley marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Database marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Phyllis Wright
Phyllis Wright marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Laura Shovan
Laura Shovan marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Marilynn Marsh
Marilynn Marsh marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Lauren Kramer
Lauren Kramer marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Margarita Engle is a Cuban-American poet, novelist, and journalist whose work has been published in many countries. She lives with her husband in northern California.
More about Margarita Engle...