Start by marking “When You Wander: A Search-And-Rescue Dog Story” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
When You Wander: A Sea...

Margarita Engle

When You Wander: A Search-And-Rescue Dog Story

When you wander
down a leafy path
I can smell
your invisible
trail . . .

This cozy story gently teaches children what to do if they lose their way, and reassures them that a search-and-rescue dog can find them wherever they are. And once a child is found, the dog will bring people to make sure that everyone gets home safe and sound.

Full of interesting facts about search-and-res
Published April 30th 2013 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about When You Wander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Wander

Jan 27, 2017 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concepts
I just ran across this book today and I want to put it out there. What a great concept! We always tell kids what to do if they get lost but rarely if ever explain what might happen if they get REALLY lost. This book reinforces the rule of "stay in the same place and someone will come looking for you" and explains that someone might be a DOG--frankly, not all kids would expect that. I'm including this book in a collection about community helpers that I'm putting together for a preschool teacher. ...more
Juliana Lee
Sniff. Sniff. This adorable search and rescue puppy is learning how to follow the scent of someone in the woods and fields. When a little boy goes missing, it's the pup who finds him and brings help to lead him home.
Hannah
Feb 17, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When You Wander is a sweet story about a dog who has just graduated sniffing school and is sent out on a mission to a lost boy. It goes through each process of his sniffing down to the smell of his socks and tracking his footprints. When the little boy realizes he is lost the narrator advises to hug and stay by one tree and wait until the dog will rescue him and the dog eventually does rescue him!

The major theme of this book was to educate and raise awareness of what kids should do if they get l
Linda
I can’t wait to share this book with my young granddaughter who needs to learn to hug a tree if she should ever get lost in the forests of the Rockies (where she goes often), and that there will be sweet rescue dogs who will be looking for her. The book tells a good, not scary, story of a little girl who does wander, but it is told from the dog’s point of view, what he will smell, and how he will follow the trail. For example, he says, “When I sniff your delicious shoes…I learn that you love to ...more
The Styling Librarian
When You Wander- A Search-and-Rescue Dog Story by Margarita Engle, illustrated by Mary Morgan – Awww, how beautiful does this text demonstrate the importance and ability of a search and rescue dog. Brought tears to my eyes reading through a dog’s point of view. Margarita has a beautiful ability to select gorgeous words that throw you into her book whether in a touching picture book about a little child that a search and rescue dog is locating or through one of her beautiful novels in verse. I’m ...more
Heba Badr-El-Din
'When You Wander' is a story about a search and rescue dog, written in the perspective of the dog. The search and rescue dog spends the whole book looking for the little kid who had wandered off the path in a forest. The dog says that he will always be there to help if you call for him, to wait for him to find you that he knows where you'll wander by following your trail. This books major theme is help will always be given to those who need and ask for it. With children it is good for them to kn ...more
Shelli
May 31, 2013 Shelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This a sweet story about a search and rescue dog that finds a young boy that has wondered too far from home and needs help being found, also including a bit of the process that the dog goes through along the way. I think this book made it out like everyone should and does own one of these dogs to find any of your own wayward children, and not necessarily a special service that trains these dogs to help a community or area. The book would have benefited with an afterward with additional informati ...more
Amy
Beautiful picture book told from a rescue dog's point of view, as he searches for a little boy that is lost in the woods. Reads in a poetic manner. Illustrations show dog searching for boy, as he sees him in his thought bubbles. I love the ending when the boy is home, safe in bed and thinking of the dog in his thought bubble. Author has fun Dog Nose Facts and a Note to Parents and Teachers in endpapers. Author's acknowledgments in the front matter is a must read!
Barbara
Not only does this book introduce children to dogs used for search and rescue efforts, but it offers tips for what to do if they get lost in the woods. The author suggests staying in one place and waiting for rescue instead of wandering further off. I liked how the text and watercolor, gouache, and colored pencil illustrations pay tribute to the sensitive noses of dogs. There are even facts about those noses in the back matter.
Nov 09, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, picture, 2013
Told from the perspective of a search-and-rescue dog, a young child is rescued after being lost in the woods. This story is sweetly done and is perfect for preschool or kindergarten students who might need to know about search-and-rescue dogs. I imagine children who spend a good deal of time hiking and outdoors with their families or kids growing up close to national or state parks.
Beverly
Jun 30, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
I recently used this book in a pre-school story time about dog heroes. This book is written from the dog's point of view as he tells how he is searching for "you" by following "your" scents, footprints and other clues. The dog does find the young child at the end. It is a very good story with appealing and sympathetic illustrations.
Sharon Lawler
A very tender story in which a graduate of "sniff school" uses all his skill to find a small child that has wandered away. Explains to the small child what to do if lost, while explaining how they will be found.Illustrations in watercolor, gouache, and colored pencils.
Paula
Jul 25, 2015 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-school, animals
A dog that has just graduated from "sniffing school" advises readers what to do if they become lost in the woods, and assures them that his smart nose will lead him to where they are. Includes facts about dogs' noses.
Bethe
Jul 08, 2014 Bethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bookaday #50. Tender story about the process of a search and rescue dog looking for a lost boy. Very young child friendly. What to do if lost alone in the woods? hug a tree, good advice for anyone lost in the great outdoors. Learn some new facts about a dog nose as well.
Kendra
May 23, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, dogs
Really nice story of a search dog finding a missing boy. I especially enjoyed the dog nose facts and advice for parents in the back. Perfect book for parents to share with their child as a joint learning experience.
Christine
Touching and also informative story about how dogs are used in search and rescue efforts. This story reminds children to find a tree and stay put until they are found. Interesting facts are included at the end about the amazing facts surrounding dog noses and rescue efforts.
Amanda
May 25, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, maybe I'm just a little emotional (not like me at all), but this book was very sweet and moving. Absolutely loved it!
pati
This book is great for young kids to learn how to stay safe while lost and that help is on the way! The artwork is absolutely fab!
Rachel
More of a "dog and girl bonding story" than a search and rescue dog story, which it had been more on the nonfiction end then just covering the feelings and what the dog can smell.
Mary Lee
Jan 02, 2014 Mary Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
Picture book companion to MOUNTAIN DOG.
Edward Sullivan
The nose knows.
Robyn Schultz
Charming! My son loved it and so did I. Really enjoyed all the information at the end of the book about dogs noses.
Kimberly
I really enjoyed the gentle text and pictures in this one. It really only works for kids getting lost outside, but it's a cute book, with fun rescue dog facts included.
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Lupine
Lupine rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Megan Garbe
Megan Garbe rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2013
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2013
SCLS YouthServices
SCLS YouthServices rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Beth Singleton
Beth Singleton rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Margarita Engle is a Cuban-American poet, novelist, and journalist whose work has been published in many countries. She lives with her husband in northern California.
More about Margarita Engle...