Start by marking “Katie and the Puppy Next Door” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Katie and the Puppy Ne...
John Himmelman

Katie and the Puppy Next Door

Katie is surprised when Ruby, the new puppy next door, comes for a visit. Ruby runs right into Katie's house and starts playing--with Katie's favorite things! She even eats Katie's food! Katie thinks this is terrible, and she chases Ruby away. But Sara Ann is disappointed. She wants Katie to share. She says sharing is fun. But Katie has her doubts about that!
Published March 19th 2013 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Katie and the Puppy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie and the Puppy Next Door

Not as fabulous as the first Katie book, but still cute illustrations. And in this, lessons on sharing and being friends. Fun to see the kittens grown up. And good that Katie learned a lesson, but even better that Ruby learned, too. I was getting a bit worried that Katie had to do all the adjusting.
Sep 13, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Himmelman writes “Katie and the Puppy Next Door” and tells the story of two dogs and their struggle of getting along. Katie is used to getting all the attention, all the love, and all the treats and toys she wants. Her owner tells her that, Ruby, the puppy next door is coming over and Katie is unsure of this. The play-date didn’t go so well. Ruby is eating Katie’s food, drinking her water, taking her treats and toys, and she is playing with her friends. Katie was noticeably unhappy and in r ...more
Catherine McAna
Sep 09, 2016 Catherine McAna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads #3

Summary: Katie is a dog whose house gets "invaded" by a new puppy, Ruby, who lives next door. One day, Ruby comes to visit and she helps herself to everything in Katie's house. Katie is unhappy sharing her belongings, so she barks to scare Ruby away. Katie's owner becomes disappointed in how she had been acting toward Ruby and told her to share. Next time Ruby came over, Katie tried very hard to control herself from lashing out at Ruby until Ruby started playing with her. Then, Katie
Oh, I adore Katie and John Himmelman draws her in such an expressive way. You can tell EXACTLY how she's feeling. The only thing that bugged me about this book (and it's a small, petty quibble, I admit) was that Ruby was allowed by her owner to enter a new house and pretty much run amok. What responsible pet owner would allow her dog to eat another dog's bowl of food without permission or any repercussions? C'mon.
Mar 28, 2013 Clarissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This was cute, but no where near as wonderful as Katie loves the Kittens. The pictures of the animals are charming and funny, and the story os sweet, but not especially clever or original. Katie is visited by the neighbor's dog Ruby. Ruby eats from Katies dish, plays with her toys,a nd plays with the cats. Katie is jealous and does nto want to share, but on a second visit learns taht sharing can be fun.
Sondra Eklund
This time Katie's learning how to be a friend -- with the puppy next door. Now, that other puppy is not very nice. I would not want to be the owner of these two trashing the house! But the message is good, and it's nice to have dogs in the situation rather than kids -- gives a nice distance from the subject, with lots of room to talk about it. And I still love John Himmelman's artwork!
May 03, 2013 Shelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute read, although I think Katie loves the Kittens was so much better. Katie learns a lesson in sharing her beloved kittens from book 1 who are now cats, her food and her toy with the neighbor dog. She really really doesn't want to, but tries her very best to do better on the second visit. Sharing is not always easy but it is always more fun than playing alone.
Randi Haranzo
This author greatly examines the moral of sharing. One puppy is introduced as the friendly neighbor and becomes "at home" when she is invited over. Meanwhile, the main character, Katie the puppy, feels upset because the new puppy is using her toys and eating her food. If you would like to implement sharing in your classroom, this book would be a great one for a lesson plan.
Bethany Boutin
Jun 19, 2013 Bethany Boutin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it's really hard to share what's yours! But as little dog Katie discovers, a little self-control can be quite rewarding. This had me laughing along as I was reminded of my own stubborn little dog's amusing territorial personality.
Cute story about learning to share with new friends. I feel like it ends somewhat abruptly, but the illustrations are cute and it's a nice, simple book that young dog lovers will enjoy.
Karen Arendt
The story line is pretty obvious but fans of Katie loves the kittens will enjoy the story. Also good for Pre-k to kindergarten as a discussion tool on sharing.
Aug 19, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I liked this, but not like I did "Katie Loves the Kittens". It does send a great message about sharing. Curious to see what kids would think.
Apr 10, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was nice how everything worked out in the end, but this book wasn't as good as Katie loves the Kitties.
May 08, 2013 Tracie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture_books
The irrepressible Katie returns in a second outing about learning to share with a new friend.
Kids aren't the only ones who needs to learn how to share with new friends - pups too!
A story about learning to share, with puppies as the main characters.
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Animals: Dogs

Sharing & friendship
May 24, 2013 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
cute artwork
story about jealousy and self-control
Sharon Lawler
A lesson in sharing that most kids can understand.
Like children, dogs often have difficulty sharing.
Jul 26, 2013 Nora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp
Good book to teach about sharing and friendship.
Edward Sullivan
Pooch learns sharing can be fun.
Typical friendship story.
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Katie rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Ermin rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Katy rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college (S
More about John Himmelman...