Start by marking “Katie and the Puppy Next Door” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Katie and the Puppy Ne...

John Himmelman

Katie and the Puppy Next Door

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Katie is surprised when Ruby, the new puppy next door, comes for a visit. Ruby runs right into Katie's house and starts playing--with Katie's favorite things! She even eats Katie's food! Katie thinks this is terrible, and she chases Ruby away. But Sara Ann is disappointed. She wants Katie to share. She says sharing is fun. But Katie has her doubts about that!
Published March 19th 2013 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Katie and the Puppy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie and the Puppy Next Door

Heidi
Not as fabulous as the first Katie book, but still cute illustrations. And in this, lessons on sharing and being friends. Fun to see the kittens grown up. And good that Katie learned a lesson, but even better that Ruby learned, too. I was getting a bit worried that Katie had to do all the adjusting.
Mary
Oh, I adore Katie and John Himmelman draws her in such an expressive way. You can tell EXACTLY how she's feeling. The only thing that bugged me about this book (and it's a small, petty quibble, I admit) was that Ruby was allowed by her owner to enter a new house and pretty much run amok. What responsible pet owner would allow her dog to eat another dog's bowl of food without permission or any repercussions? C'mon.
Clarissa
This was cute, but no where near as wonderful as Katie loves the Kittens. The pictures of the animals are charming and funny, and the story os sweet, but not especially clever or original. Katie is visited by the neighbor's dog Ruby. Ruby eats from Katies dish, plays with her toys,a nd plays with the cats. Katie is jealous and does nto want to share, but on a second visit learns taht sharing can be fun.
Sondra Eklund
This time Katie's learning how to be a friend -- with the puppy next door. Now, that other puppy is not very nice. I would not want to be the owner of these two trashing the house! But the message is good, and it's nice to have dogs in the situation rather than kids -- gives a nice distance from the subject, with lots of room to talk about it. And I still love John Himmelman's artwork!
Shelli
Very cute read, although I think Katie loves the Kittens was so much better. Katie learns a lesson in sharing her beloved kittens from book 1 who are now cats, her food and her toy with the neighbor dog. She really really doesn't want to, but tries her very best to do better on the second visit. Sharing is not always easy but it is always more fun than playing alone.
Randi Haranzo
This author greatly examines the moral of sharing. One puppy is introduced as the friendly neighbor and becomes "at home" when she is invited over. Meanwhile, the main character, Katie the puppy, feels upset because the new puppy is using her toys and eating her food. If you would like to implement sharing in your classroom, this book would be a great one for a lesson plan.
Bethany Boutin
Sometimes it's really hard to share what's yours! But as little dog Katie discovers, a little self-control can be quite rewarding. This had me laughing along as I was reminded of my own stubborn little dog's amusing territorial personality.
Lara
Cute story about learning to share with new friends. I feel like it ends somewhat abruptly, but the illustrations are cute and it's a nice, simple book that young dog lovers will enjoy.
Karen Arendt
The story line is pretty obvious but fans of Katie loves the kittens will enjoy the story. Also good for Pre-k to kindergarten as a discussion tool on sharing.
Melissa
I liked this, but not like I did "Katie Loves the Kittens". It does send a great message about sharing. Curious to see what kids would think.
Heather
This was nice how everything worked out in the end, but this book wasn't as good as Katie loves the Kitties.
Tracie
The irrepressible Katie returns in a second outing about learning to share with a new friend.
Bethe
Kids aren't the only ones who needs to learn how to share with new friends - pups too!
Kris
A story about learning to share, with puppies as the main characters.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Animals: Dogs

Sharing & friendship
Bree
Notes:
cute artwork
story about jealousy and self-control
Sharon Lawler
A lesson in sharing that most kids can understand.
Peacegal
Like children, dogs often have difficulty sharing.
Nora
Good book to teach about sharing and friendship.
Edward Sullivan
Pooch learns sharing can be fun.
Rachel
Typical friendship story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college (S
More about John Himmelman...
Chickens to the Rescue Katie Loves the Kittens Pigs to the Rescue Cows to the Rescue Duck to the Rescue