Start by marking “Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard” as Want to Read:
Grandpa Gazillion's Nu...

Laurie Keller

Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Don't you hate when your eyebrows fall into your soup? Dig them out with a SIX--it's a great eyebrow scoop!

If you ever thought that numbers were only for counting--think again! At "Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard," numbers have all sorts of uses that can come in handy when in a pinch. For instance, a two can be used as a saxophone, a ten makes a great pogo stick, and a fou
Published August 1st 2005 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard

Kelsey
While I enjoyed the rhymes and the creative portrayal of numbers in Grandpa Gazillion's Number Yard, it would not serve young children well in learning to count and recognize numbers. Grandpa explains a unique way to use the numbers one through twenty on each page. For example, one could be a trapeze and three could be saddle on a camel. However, the pages do not provide young children with anything to count that matches the numbers. Additionally, the numbers are often rotated to serve a physica ...more
Dolly
Dec 14, 2012 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laurie Keller fans
Shelves: 2012, childrens, rhyming, pets, math
This is a very strange counting book. Not sure what else to say about it, other than it's just very bizarre, from the narrative to the illustrations.

I suppose it's supposed to be a book that helps children learn their numbers, but it's a bit metaphysical for younger children and our girls didn't really get the point. It leaves questions unanswered, like how did the number 4 save the life of Elmo Alfonzo McFizzleby's wife. Or why would an extremely rare, giant polka-dot number 15 help Carol?

I g
Paula
Grandpa Gazillion and Hildegarde show many different uses for the numbers one through twenty at their number yard.
Angela Scott
Teaches kids to recognize numbers while turning them into heroes at the same time. I think this book has the potential to get kids to really like numbers and math in their future.
Kelsey Yates
Way at the top of the silliness scale.
Kassidy
Grandpa Gazillion has a yard full of numbers that people try to come up with unique and new ways to use numbers. (For example, a 3 turned sideways would make a good parachute). It is a silly story and I think kids would enjoy it.This book is super cute and a fun way to review numbers. The illustrations are really crazy and exciting, maybe even a little too busy. But, this would be a fun way to read about numbers. I wouldn't use this book to teach numbers though.
Alice
2.75 Stars The pictures are fantastic but the whole concept it a little weird. Instead of numbers being used for quantitative reasoning and counting they are used as objects..which is weird. The rhyming is good, but I wouldn't suggests this for a counting book..it is too abstract. It is funny and has a whimsical element to it but not a whole lot else.
So Laurie Keller is seriously my new favorite picture book author/illustrator. I loved this book. She mixes humor and rhyming with numbers and counting, showing creative ways you can use numbers. Each page also encourages you to count something on the page, like the scoops of ice cream or sheep on a mountain. Just so interactive, clever and funny!
Jasmine
This is a very interesting and well illustrated book to read to young students. This book is filled with many numbers so this would be a great book to read to students before going into a math lesson. I would let the students identify the numbers they see.
Laura Savage
My daughter loved this book so much when we borrowed it from the library that I had to buy one from eBay. It's a wonderfully illustrated book with fun quirks, one that you never mind reading over and over.
Puja Patel
This book can be used when learning how to count. It is very colorful so it will keep the young readers attention!
Sara K.
Read to my class by our fabulous Librarian, Diane, in preparation for Laurie Keller's visit in September.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Pickardh
Pickardh marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Deanna
Deanna added it
Jul 03, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Laurie Keller grew up in Muskegon, Michigan. She always loved to draw, paint and write stories. She spent much of her time performing in a local dance tour company and dancing in and choreographing some civic theatre shows.
She graduated several years later with a BFA in Illustration. She also got a job as a greeting card illustrator at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri. She is the author and
More about Laurie Keller...
The Scrambled States of America Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners Arnie the Doughnut The Scrambled States of America Talent Show Bowling Alley Bandit