Start by marking “A Pirate's Guide to First Grade” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Pirate's Guide to Fi...

James Preller

A Pirate's Guide to First Grade (Pirate's Guides)

Arr! It's the first day of first grade, and it's all hands on deck for a young pirate and his crew. How much trouble can they get into? What will they do at recess? And, most important, what treasure awaits them at school?
Published July 20th 2010 by Feiwel & Friends (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Pirate's Guide to First Grade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pirate's Guide to First Grade

Elizabeth
Aug 17, 2011 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I don't care for pirates, but I just couldn't figure out the audience for this one. Even if it weren't written in pirate-speak, it still seems like an odd introduction to school. The narrator claims it's his first day of school and describes how grueling and exhausting and difficult it is, but then we see him reading Treasure Island, which is an unlikely choice for a child just starting school, especially as its Lexile score is over 1000 and has an AR score of 8.3 worth 12 points. I ...more
Julie
Oct 03, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining read for adults, written in pirate dialect. Would be great for someone who can do a good pirate accent (not me) and/or for Talk-Like-A-Pirate-Day. Aimed at first grade, but a little too sophisticated for 1st graders, I think. Since it is entirely in dialect, even though the pictures emphasize what is actually going on, the whole book is written with vocabulary that would likely have to be explained.

However, excellent illustrations and a good book for pirate enthusiasts who mi
The Library Lady
Cute idea. But the artwork shows a kid that does not look like a first grader. He seems to be about 9 or 10. And either way, there are better pirate books for a child of either age than "Treasure Island"
Christine
Jul 22, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated
Love the illustrations, the expressions on the kids and pirate's faces. Loved everything, except that every one of those first graders looked more like third or fourth graders! Wish the artist had done a better job of making the kids look the correct age.
Heather
Feb 19, 2017 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I did not particularly care for this book, I think it would be very popular with children who love pirates! Ruth's illustrations are beautifully rendered using pencil, Sumi ink, watercolor oilstick, and pastels. I look forward to seeing more of his work.
Jenn
Ever wonder how the imagination runs rampant in young minds. This book looks into the mind of a first grade boy on his first day of school. He imagines that he is a pirate. The pirate theme is carried out throughout the entire story and pirate talk fills the pages of this book. This is a book perfect for a read aloud in a first grade classroom as it is geared directly at first graders. This book will help teachers explain that imagination has a place in the classroom, but it has to take a back s ...more
Kerry
Sep 13, 2010 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a boy’s first day of school, so he dons his skull and crossbones t-shirt and completes the morning routine, with an imaginary crew of pirates swaggering right along with him. As the boy climbs aboard the “grand jolly boat” (school bus), he observes: “Fore and aft bustled a salty crew of swabbies, sailing for adventure across the briny deep!” The story is told entirely in pirate lingo, so the “Pirate’s Vocabulary” at the book’s end is essential for the ordinary land lubber. The events in th ...more
Tacie Wright
Sep 20, 2013 Tacie Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is incredible! I read it to my boys the day before my oldest started kindergarten. Immediately the language of the book sucks you in and begs to be voiced by a thick accented buccaneer. We got to the end and went straight back to the beginning to read it again! This time we spent more time looking at the pictures. The illustrations in this book are pure genius! They bring a young boy's imagination to life -- a clear and perfect companion to the text.
Of course my favorite part was last
Beverly
Synopsis: Arr! It’s the first day of first grade, and it’s all hands on deck for a young pirate and his crew. How much trouble can they get into? What will they do at recess? And, most important, what treasure awaits them at school?
Though the illustrations are beautifully done and children are sure to enjoy the contrast between what the pirates are doing and what the boy and his classmates are doing, I’m not convinced this book is a success for its targeted audience. The text is rather challengi
Sarah W
The cover sets the tone for this back to school adventure of the pirate persuasion. A red-headed first grader is sitting on top of the school bus with a pirate flag. A bulldog is standing on the bus as well. There are also five pirates and a macaw in shades of sepia with them on the bus. The boy's words speak of piratey things with hints of them shown in sketches while the true events are in full color.

The pirate dialogue in this book begs to be read aloud. "I remembered 'twas the first day of
Mary Ann
Take a rollicking spin on the first day of school with James Preller's newest book. Follow a young boy who sees pirates everywhere narrating the story entirely in pirate lingo. As he wakes up for the day, he says “Me great scurvy dog slurped me kisser when I was tryin' t' get me winks!” This makes for a great read aloud, hamming it up along the way. The illustrations show kids looking like real kids in bright, bold colors, and then faint ghosts of pirates that the narrator sees throughout his da ...more
Eva Leger
Jun 13, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
Julia's not into pirates as much as she ones was but she's game for a good pirate story if she finds one.
The text here is pure pirate talk so it's safe to say you'll be reading this in a manner that you probably haven't before. And it's also safe to say your kid might pee their pants laughing at you so hard. Or, uh, at least mine almost did.
The illustrations are unique here, with the sketch type drawing on most of the pages, showing the pirates interacting with the main character, a young boy.
Adam
Jan 25, 2012 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first day of school is an exciting day no matter what age you are. For this young pirate it was like his first day setting sail in the open sea, when he was on his way to his first day of school in first grade. This was a very creative book that allowed the younger audience to dive into their imagination, by following this young boy and his imagination. While reading this story I, as a reader, liked how this boy's crew was visible to us but in the story it was just his imagination. Using thi ...more
Melanie
"Arrr! Shiver me timbers, what a slobberin' moist mornin'!"

And so a young boy, envisioning himself a pirate, wakes and gets ready for his first day of 1st grade. He shines his "snappers," heads to the "galley" for some "grub" and heads for his "ship" which just happens to be the school bus.

Well done and child-friendly illustrations show possibly imaginary pirates following the child around.

Children into pirates will love this rollicking fun tale. Not a great read aloud with younger audiences as
Courtney Stempinski
This book is a first-person story narrated in pirate language by a 1st-grade boy. He talks about his day from the time his dog slobbers him awake to him settling in and reading Treasure Island. In all of the illustrations there are light sketches of imaginary pirates interacting with the boy's daily life.

I think this book is a good introduction to talk to children about getting invested in the stories they read, trying to put themselves into the characters's shoes. It would be a good book to int
Beth
Anyone who reads this book aloud without a pirate voice should be arrested.

This book is told from the perspective of a first grader who sees the world through the lens of a pirate. The illustrations are ingenious - with life in first grade being in full color, and the pirate daydreams faded into the background. I'm thinking I need to purchase a copy of this book to read to my students on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Even if you're not in first grade, you'd be hard pressed to find a stu
Dorothea
Dec 21, 2010 Dorothea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another great library find. A little boy describes his first day at school, speaking completely in "pirate talk". The things going on in his imagination are drawn in brown whereas everything in reality is in full color. I loved this book because there are times I can tell that the world of imagination is exactly what is going on in my little boy's mind to the point of almost being real. Definitely worth checking out of your library. My 7 yo and my 3 yo both enjoyed it and immediately read it aga ...more
Priscilla Schelling
Jan 14, 2012 Priscilla Schelling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Priscilla by: Lisa Howie
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
This book displayed a wonderful example of the ever-running imagination of a child in the classroom and in everyday life. The author is speaking just as much to the teacher as to the students. The unlying message is for teachers to bring out the imagination of the students in the classroom and for the students to see that learning is a fun adventure. Learning and having fun go hand in hand in the classroom! I want to be that kind of a teacher in my classroom (one who brings out the fun in learni ...more
Kristin Lee
Aug 29, 2012 Kristin Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has good humor in it. I like how the illustrations show the pirates as an imagination of the little boy. The author shows the excitement that the little boy, like most school children, experience on the first day of school. The other really interesting fact about this book is the pirate terminology that is used throughout the story. In the back of the book, there is a section that defines what each of the pirate terms mean. A very good book in my opinion.
Jessy
Jan 12, 2012 Jessy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
I think this book adds a lot of colorful words that will have the students laughing and enjoying the flavor of the book. I know their minds will be tingling with these new phrases and will be asking to hear what was said more again. The book has a good ending with a focus of books be like a treasure that students can enjoy and unravel. I think this would be a great way to show students that there are a lot of "hidden treasures" inside of every book.
Anne
Aug 30, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As other reviewers have noted, this swashbucklin' protagonist is older and savvier than a wee six-year-old. But I only trimmed off one star for that: with the masterful use of me favorite pirate lingo, this is a keeper! I couldn't believe me deadlights when I found this at the library hoping for some inspiration for my upcoming first grade subbing assignments. Me eight-year-old brother had fun reading this when I brought it home; any younger and the strange terms might be too befuddling.
W.H. Beck
Aug 18, 2010 W.H. Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Arr! It’s the fi rst day of fi rst grade, and it’s all hands on deck for a young pirate and his crew. How much trouble can they get into? What wil ...more Arr! It’s the fi rst day of fi rst grade, and it’s all hands on deck for a young pirate and his crew. How much trouble can they get into? What will they do at recess? And, most important, what treasure awaits them at school?

(from goodreads.com)

(40 pp.)
Mackenzie Rodeghier
Aug 30, 2012 Mackenzie Rodeghier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

I like the book, the author tackled a very normal subject (a student's first day of first grade) and added a unique spin! However, i found the pirate jargon was a little distracting. Sometimes it was more confusing in the story than cute or creative- trying to figure out exactly what was happening. The author does include a dictionary at the back of the book, but it's a hassle to read the whole story then clear up the meanings of the words at the end.
Michelle
Pros: Clever text paired with imaginative illustrations. A winner for teaching voice to primary or elementary students. Round out your "Talk Like A Pirate Day" story time with this catch.

Cons: I don't think my first graders would get the humor as it's so heavy with pirate slang. Better for grades 2-4 in my experience.
Olivia Jackson
This book would be a really fun way to start a new school year; it can help show the fun side to reading and the teacher along with getting the students excited for the new school year. If this isn't a first day read, it's definitely a book to read within the first week of school (if you teach first grade).
Kristine
Mar 29, 2015 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mentor-texts
Great book for teaching Voice. A boy's entire first day of school is written in the voice of a pirate. A glossary on the back endpapers would allow for students to tell about their own day or write another story in the voice of a pirate. This text also provides a launching point for writing about something ordinary or otherwise in another voice.
Natalie
Aug 24, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book MUST be read with an accent (of course mine usually falls to Irish) but the pirate lingo is fun. "Me great scurvy dog slurped me kisser when I was tryin' t' get me winks!" The little boy wakes up heads off to first grade and ends up finding treasure. We enjoyed the pirate speech from beginning to end, go through the pirate vocab at the back of the book first.
Katie Jelinek
This book was fun for the simple fact that it had "pirate jargon" present form start to finish. The book focused on a determined boy who had the mindset of the pirate life. The boy was looking for his treasure from beginning to end and as a good message the treasure was found within the library. Knowledge was the treasure and that is a good message to teach children. Overall it was an okay read.
Hannah Moss
Jan 23, 2012 Hannah Moss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the message behind this book as well as the imagination aspect of the book. The child was acting as though he was a pirate searching for treasure, but he was going throughout his school and the treasure ending up being the books in the library. Reading is very important for studnets and the library was an excellent treasure!
Kayla
This is the perfect book for little first graders. I really enjoyed reading this book and I will absolutely use this book in my classroom. It will get the kids engaged and ready for what first grade has in store. It is funny and enjoyable way for them to see what they will be doing! Definitely a keep for my future classroom.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Pirate Cruncher
  • The Old Woman Who Named Things
  • Dotty
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Let's Do Nothing!
  • Small Saul
  • Riding the Tiger
  • Snow Day!
James Preller (born 1961) is the children's book author of the Jigsaw Jones Mysteries, which are published by Scholastic Corporation. He grew up in Wantagh, New York and went to college in Oneonta, New York. After graduating from college in 1983, James Preller was employed as a waiter for one year before being hired as a copywriter by Scholastic Corporation, where he was introduced (through their ...more
More about James Preller...

Pirate's Guides (2 books)
  • A Pirate's Guide to Recess