Start by marking “Into the Dark” as Want to Read:
Into the Dark

Into the Dark

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  40 reviews
THE SOLE SURVIVOR OF A HEARTBREAKING FAMILY TRAGEDY...

Claire Bowen, a haunted psychologist, devotes her life to helping troubled women rebuild theirs. But her dream of a family with her new husband, Robert, a pilot and local hero, begins to crumble as disturbing revelations from his past emerge.

AND A GRIEVING COP WHO LURES A KILLER FROM THE SHADOWS...

Detective Joe Tanner,
Published July 1st 2013 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Dark

Amy Lignor
‘Page-Turner’ is not just an adjective where this book is concerned; every page seems to have a new shot of suspense so that no reader will ever find the time to get off the sofa and do anything else. In other words, this one will keep people reading until the very last word.

Claire Bowen is a psychologist whose life has been dedicated to helping troubled women learn how to rebuild their lives. She has a new husband, Robert Bowen, who is both a pilot and a local hero. The hero part of the story c
Sheila Beaumont
This page-turner is one of the very best suspense novels I've read this year, a fast-paced serial-killer thriller that's almost impossible to stop reading. The reader knows early on who the killer is, but his psychologist wife is unsuspecting, until she starts noticing strange, disturbing things about his behavior, then has a friend investigate his past. The story is told from a number of different points of view, including the sociopathic killer's.

Rick Mofina's books really should be on the top
Kris
3.5 Stars

Cold case detective Joe Tanner is trying to solve the murder of a young screenwriter and single mother of two. As he reviews his cases he notices a pattern that might suggest that a serial killer had been on a killing spree at this time and now was dormant. Using Mark Harding, an ambitious reporter he manages to bring the killer out of retirement and now is on his trail to discover his identity.

Claire Bowen is happy. She loves being a psychologist and being married to Pilot, Robert Bo
Shay Williams
I must have really been craving a suspense novel because INTO THE DARK sure hit all the right spots. Mr. Mofina did a great job with the characters as well as the pacing. This book is a real page turner.

What impressed me the most is how all of the characters, regardless of where they fit into the storyline, were flawed. This caused them come across as people you could meet when you are out shopping or perhaps they resemble a close friend. The conversations and relationships between the characte
Cheryl
"I am a deity, spawned in hell. I control life and death." - The Dark Wind Killer

Claire Bowen, the protagonist of "Into the Dark," is a psychologist that specializes in treating abused women. She is a survivor herself of terrible happenings from when she was a child - happenings in which she lost her entire family.

She has tried to move past her early years. She is married and trying to start a family, after having no luck conceiving earlier in this marriage or her prior one.

Detective Joe Tanner
Philip
Good Read and while I enjoyed it I wouldn't consider it one of Rick's best novels. Rick's writing projects a strong feeling of foreboding doom even before anything serious has happened and maintains that feeling and plenty of suspense and thrills even after the identity of the killer, whatever his name is today, is revealed very early in the novel. There were times when I just felt so scared that I had to read more just to unwind before I could hit the sack!
I thought the ending was a bit weak, t
Vivian
3.5 star read

Claire Bowen was a first-hand witness to the abusive relationship between her parents. She even saw her father kill her mother and younger brother before ultimately killing himself. She's now in a happy relationship with her husband, Robert Bowen, and dedicates her psychology practice to helping abused women. Now it appears that Claire is caught between one of her patients and her estranged abusive husband. When that patient disappears and the police launch their investigation into
Teena in Toronto
Claire is a psychologist who is married to Robert, a pilot. Claire really wants to have a baby and is ready to start treatments to make it happen. Robert has been acting strange lately, though, which makes Claire wonder what's wrong ... she suspects he might be having an affair with his ex-wife.

It's the tenth anniversary of the first of five murders of which the killer has never been found. Police officer Joe Tanner approaches reporter Mark Harding to do a story to see if anything comes out of i
Justin Melter
To see the full review with LazyDay.ca additions please check it out and other reviews here http://lazyday.ca/into-the-dark-by-ri...

This was won as a Goodreads First Reads. Thank you to GoodReads, Harlequin, Mira and Rick Mofina for sending this out!

Into the Dark, a new release by Rick Mofina and the book I have to compare to a Dexter episode. For some this may sound grand, for others perhaps not so much. I am not a stranger to Mr. Mofina's works, as I had picked him up before as one of my rando
Brenda
Kept me on the edge turning page to page very intriguing and captivating. I never lost interest in the story. It was written from the perspective of several of the characters. It has more twists than a swirled ice cream cone. You do but, you don't know who the killer is but, you do. It was definitely one of the best murder mysteries I have read all year.

Robert is an airline pilot......
Claire is a psychologist.........
Julie is her assistant..........
Amber is her patient............
Eric is Amber'
Vivian Harrington
Who is the stranger beside you? Is the neighbor across the fence that lives a seemingly ordinary life a serial killer? Is the noise you hear in this middle of the night just a noise? Or is somebody really there? Were is not for stories such as the BTK killer, a novel that poses questions like these might seem beyond belief.

As a survivor of childhood horrors and an abusive first marriage, psychologist Claire devotes her life to helping abused women. She has found her knight in shining armor- her
Colleen Estep
A taunt fast-paced thriller that quickly pulls the reader into the lives of Claire, the psychologist who's chosen her field because as a small child she watched her father kill her mother, her baby brother and himself. After a unhappy first marriage to a man who was nothing she thought he was, she meets a pilot how seems to be everything she ever wanted. But is he.....
Her patients are disappearing and quickly linked to a serial killer who terrorized the LA area several years before. Can detect
Wendy
"They Disappeared", by Rick Mofina, was one of my favorite novels from last year and he has done it again!
Fascinating and chilling "Into The Dark" is a fast-paced mystery that had me turning the pages non-stop from start to finish. A solid thriller, partially through the eyes of a serial killer, provides the annihilating effects of childhood and domestic abuse.
Although the identity of the murderer is revealed early on the fascination with the story revolves around the characters inquest into the
Jason
This book is about Claire, a psychologist that is haunted by a family tragedy that left her alone. And Detective Tanner, who lost his wife to crime and is raising his little girl as a single father. Claire is now married and hoping for a family when she starts to discover things in her husbands past that may be worse than her own. When one of Claire's patients go missing, her and detective Tanner are thrown together to try and figure out what happened to the missing patient, and maybe discover a ...more
Joanne
Into The Dark by Rick Mofina came to me as a Goodreads First-Reads giveaway winner. It is a psychological thriller about a psychologist who works with abused women. At the same time a detective, looking at cold cases, discovers a connection between several women whose killers were never found. I cannot tell you how much I loved this book. I rarely give 5 stars when writing a review, but Into The Dark is very deserving. I feel like I was kidnapped by the story as soon as I began reading the first ...more
Marcia
I won this book on Goodreads. It is a fast-paced thriller. The author hints early who is the killer and then about half-way through, the character admits it to the reader. The details, especially about the killer and the psychologist, are very well done. The minor characters are described too much so that the number of characters seems overwhelming and distracting because the reader does not know how important they will be to the outcome. If the minor characters were not named and less described ...more
Lynn Lipinski
Great serial killer thriller in the classic sense. Page-turning quick read.
Wendi Martin
Loved this book can't wait to read more of Rick's books.
Faith Anderson
I received this from a first reads giveaway.

This was a page turner, but also very predictable. You knew who the serial killer was from the beginning, but I still wanted to know when or if he would get caught and if he would kill anyone else. It was obvious how it was going to end, but if you are looking for a quick easy fast paced read this book is for you. On the other hand, if you are going to think about how all these intricate plot lines just happened to all come together at the perfect time
Peggy Geiger
I won an advanced copy of this book on Goodreads. It is my first book I have read by this author, but will certainly not be the last. The book is based on the good vs. evil sides of a creepy serial killer in a ten year killing remission stage. The story quickly draws you in and keeps you staying up late, wanting to read the next page. It is fast paced and full of unexpected twists even though, early on, you know who the killer is the cold case detective is trying to unearth. Highly recommeded.
Candy Letasse
A good thriller, hard to put down.
Alan Medcalf
Rick Mofina has moved into my list of top ten favourite authors. His crime/mystery thrillers are increasingly engrossing, with great characters and believable plots. In this book, the climax arrives all too suddenly though, and is passed too quickly, as if he needed to wrap the project to meet a deadline, instead of drawing out and playing on the subtleties like the first 90% of the book. Still, a full five star from me.
Tara
I received this book as a give a way through First Reads.

I'll admit, I had never read anything from this author before this book. I really enjoyed it! This is the thing I love about the First Reads, I can find new authors I enjoy.

This was a pretty quick read, and I enjoyed the storyline. It had your attention from the get go. I will definitely be reading more from Mr. Mofina.
Roxann
The book was ok. Not a mystery but not a great suspense either. You can pretty much guess from the back who the bad guy is, and if not you are told in the book fairly early. Normally this isn't a big deal to me because the chase is suspenseful. Didn't really feel that in this book. And the last chapter... well if that is a surprise to you, we read different books.
Harlequin Books
"Mofina delivers another solid thriller with psychological overtones and nonstop action. This chilling story explores the devastating, long-lasting effects of childhood and domestic abuse. His well-developed characters evoke empathy - even the villian, who tries to resist his dark side." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Category: Suspense
Miriam
I received this a a goodreads first-read giveaway. I thoroughly enjoyed this book about a serial killer. It was a little confusing at first trying to follow who was who. The main characters were well developed and believable. I would love there to be a second book so we can see how they grow and recover form the exciting climax of this book.
Joyce Mosby
I received this book as an advanced copy.

This book kept me up until one this morning finishing it. I could not go to sleep until I finished it. Mr Mofina knows how to keep the reader involved. It is a little darker than my usual cozy but I could not put it down. Claire was very believable as the main character.
Melissa
Decent mystery, but scratching my head at the other reviewers who were surprised at the identity of the killer. Not sure they were reading the same book I was? Because it was pretty clear from almost the beginning whodunit. It is still a fast-paced thriller, and a good way to spend a lazy afternoon.
Bev Walkling
Rick Mofina knows how to write a thriller. In this one we learn early on who the bad guy is and what his connection is to the heroine. The story kept me engaged but I found the ending seemed to happen and be done very quickly. I would have liked a little more time for things to play out.
Kathy
Rick Mofina’s Into the Dark is a fast-paced mystery that provides a fascinating and chilling look into the life and mind of a serial killer. Please click HERE to read my review in its entirety.
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
  • Unspeakable
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Twist (Frank Quinn, #8)
  • The Shadow Tracer
  • The Quotient of Murder (Sophie Knowles #4)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
  • Smooth Sailing (Stop The Wedding, #2)
  • No Mallets Intended
  • The Homicide Hustle: A Ballroom Dance Mystery
  • The Widows of Braxton County
  • Curse of the PTA (Beth Kennedy #4)
  • Out of the Black
  • Below
  • Fugitive (Heroes for Hire, #8)
  • The Hidden Girl
  • End Me a Tenor (Glee Club, #2)
Rick Mofina is a former journalist and an award-winning author of several acclaimed thrillers. His reporting has put him face-to-face with murderers on death row in Montana and Texas. He has covered a horrific serial-killing case in California and an armored car-heist in Las Vegas, flown over Los Angeles with the LAPD Air Support Division and gone on patrol with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police n ...more
More about Rick Mofina...
Six Seconds Cold Fear The Panic Zone (Jack Gannon #2) They Disappeared Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon #1)