Start by marking “Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose” as Want to Read:
Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose

Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,475 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This trusted guidebook by popular author Raymond Buckland has introduced candle magick to more than 300,000 readers. From winning love to conquering fear, obtaining money to improving relationships, "Practical Candleburning Rituals" is filled with simple candle rites that get real results.
Newly updated and re-organized, this edition includes thirty-seven rituals-adapted f
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Candleburning Rituals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Candleburning Rituals

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerWicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonA Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar
Best Pagan Non Fiction Reads
27th out of 205 books — 175 voters
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Golden Dawn by Israel RegardieLiving Wicca by Scott CunninghamPrometheus Rising by Robert Anton WilsonThe Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie
Occult Library
35th out of 477 books — 226 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Jul 12, 2008 David added it
Shelves: back-shelf
One of the first books on magick that I acquired as a teen. It was a shocker in that it included pagan and christian variations of the same spells. I also quickly realized that the enormous number of candles, space, and time these rituals would take made secrecy a problem. If you are in a situation requiring a high level of secrecy, this isn't the book for you. The smell of wax and smoke will linger. Many of the rituals require several days to complete or for candles to burn all the way out. You ...more
Loona Wynd
I have been a practicing with for 17 years. It's only been in the last few years that I have actually started to be open to working candle magic. I really had no idea how to start and how to get working. This book provided me with everything that I needed to know. Now there are several spells in this books that I am excited to try.

This simple book is really made out of four different sections. There is the section of preparation, section for witchcraft style spells, and a section on Christian st
Yomna hosny
Mar 15, 2015 Yomna hosny rated it really liked it
This book is a contemporary Grimoire in every sense of the word. Unlike medevil grimoires, it doesn't use hyperbole or have a lengthy introduction where the author expands on all the mystical ecperiences he's had in order to impress/scare you. The author gets straight to the point. The rituals described are very clean, simple and won't ruffle anyone's feathers with a christian version and a dechristianized version for neopagans.

This is magic for the masses, pretty much, and after wading through
Meagan
Jan 04, 2015 Meagan rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic
If you are interested in learning some of the basics of candle magic, this is a book I'd really consider adding to your shelf. A warning, though, that the book is definitely european pagan oriented, and so there are some concepts and ideas in the book that are a little strange if that's not your particular path.

However, there's great information for a beginner, and it lays out some of the more basic concepts (colors of the candles, altar setup, basic spells to get you to understand different par
Maryann Troche
Dec 16, 2014 Maryann Troche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing and Feeling is Believing!

Very, very easy to read and comprehend. I haven't even begun and I already see my candle burning rituals coming through. Thank you Mr. Buckland. Looking forward to starting.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Basic or advanced pagan practitioners
I enjoyed this book, it gave me some of the most practical formulas for candle rituals that I've been able to find so far. Raymond Buckland has a rich history in the Romany traditions, which lends him some credibility.
Scott
Aug 06, 2009 Scott rated it did not like it
Shelves: spirituality
Once again Buckland gives us "authentic rituals" that sound as though they were lifted by bargain-basement gypsy fortune-tellers, and ask us to abandon any sort of dignity or reason as we mumble the sacred words to make our wishes come true. Try not to wonder how our ancestors acquired the proper colour candles or the right incense to ensure success for their rituals, or how this mysterious lore was handed down only to someone like Buckland. The next time someone mentions how Anton LaVey was the ...more
Lamar Jackson
Feb 09, 2016 Lamar Jackson rated it it was amazing
great and very useful!
Ruby Hollyberry
Jan 28, 2011 Ruby Hollyberry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magick, favorites
Believe it or not, despite the fact that half the space in the book is taken up by the Christian versions of the spells, this is one of the top three or four spellbooks I have used over the last 20 years! Perhaps because I love candle magic, these spells work extremely well for me, and they are awfully fun and engaging to perform. Beginners are well served to have this book and non-beginners will turn to it again and again when you want something simple and powerful that will work. Good luck!
Aaron Meyer
Jan 12, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it it was ok
Shelves: occult
I had to laugh at having a Christian version and an Old Religion version. I guess he had to think of something because if one or the other wasn't there it would only be half the book it is lol.
Becky
Jan 28, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-age
I'm all for books that are easily organized and written for almost any level of comprehension, and this one fits the bill. No matter your experience level, or knowledge, you'll be able to follow and understand what is being written and and what points of the aurthor.
Stephanie
Jan 06, 2010 Stephanie is currently reading it
Good book, but if you use the spells that are in it,...you definitely need the time and the space....most of the spells take days or weeks to work through completley and you need the space to set up for the spell and to not be disturbed during that time.
Lissa
Jul 12, 2011 Lissa rated it liked it
Haven't finished reading it, not sure when I will get my hands on it again. I had/have the Advanced Practical Candleburning Rituals, and thus, it is a bit advanced for my skill level.
Cedarlakeinn
Jan 23, 2011 Cedarlakeinn rated it really liked it
This book is nice and simple. It has two versions of each ritual, Christian and a more Wiccan/spiritual version. I skip the Christian half of the book.
Rena Sherwood
These candle magick rituals are neither effective nor practical. Written in the same manner as stereo instructions. Waste of money.
Saleris
I bought it as a reference/comparative book. I don't practice this type of thing as I find it a method of "ignoring the real problem".
Metagion
Aug 09, 2012 Metagion rated it liked it

I didn't think it was bad; great information, but (unfortunately)a bit outdated. I hope they update this book at some point.
Donnica
Oct 29, 2012 Donnica rated it really liked it
Shelves: israel-s-fusion
Great foundation into candle burning...excellence resource... you will want to read and re read this one.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
One of my fave spell books. I use it quite often. Good basic candle spells.
Nikki Ashendorf
Oct 16, 2012 Nikki Ashendorf rated it really liked it
I love candle magick, and this is a great book to have for such spells.
Rachel
Jul 30, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
good though I feel more akin to stones and herbs then candles..
Christine
Sep 23, 2008 Christine rated it did not like it
Shelves: wicca, 2005
bah.
israel concepcion
israel concepcion marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Chel
Chel marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Tia Johnson
Tia Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Cody Etter
Cody Etter marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
  • Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • To Stir a Magick Cauldron: Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring (RavenWolf to)
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • The Pagan Book of Days: A Guide to the Festivals, Traditions, and Sacred Days of the Year
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
Known as "The Father of American Wicca," Raymond Buckland was responsible for introducing Wicca to the United States. He was the author of the first American book on the Old Religion written by a witch - WITCHCRAFT FROM THE INSIDE - and has since written nearly sixty others, including the classic BUCKLAND'S COMPLETE BOOK OF WITCHCRAFT and the three encyclopedias: THE WITCH BOOK, THE FORTUNETELLING ...more
More about Raymond Buckland...