Start by marking “Correspondance Passionnée: 1932 1953” as Want to Read:
Correspondance Passionnée: 1932 1953

Correspondance Passionnée: 1932 1953

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,356 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The intimacy between Nin and Miller, first disclosed in Henry and June, is documented further in this impassioned exchange of letters between the two controversial writers. Edited and with an Introduction by Gunther Stuhlmann; Index.
Published 1989 by Stock (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Correspondance Passionnée, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Correspondance Passionnée

Zenmoon
Nov 28, 2012 Zenmoon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy peeking through that window into writers' minds
Nin and Miller's passionate affair is now common knowledge, and this anthology of their letters lay's it even more bare. It's a fascinating window into these two writer's minds; it offers a compelling insight for other writers - just what did make these two literary greats tick? Certainly passion. And how did their love, and major major lust for each other affect their outpouring of work, and their perceptions of themselves as writers?

I came to these letters after my immersion in Henry and June,...more
Julie Stevanja
Feb 09, 2009 Julie Stevanja rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Henry Miller fans, Anaïs Nin fans, sentimentalists, Francophiles
I’m sure many a literati heart sunk when reading that due to space limitations, the editors felt it necessary to eliminate “lengthy discussions of Dostoevsky, Proust, Joyce, D.H. Lawrence, [...:] ruminations on films, books, and so on...”

Fortunately, such illuminations were not withheld entirely and serve to illustrate the deep, intellectual bond that formed the basis of Miller and Nin’s love affair. While the letters recall impassioned discussions on literature, film, travel, poverty, war and...more
Sofia Jacinto
What an amazing book! Incredible how it shows you how dedicated their relationship was!
You keep wondering what did go wrong, why it didn't work out, why just friends?
There's so much to learn from their letters.

They helped each other and they built something of their own. It might seem strange to other people, but it worked out and both of them reached success.
Their love might have burned out but there was more than that:they were intrinsically linked.
There was trust, friendship, loyalty, hope. O...more
Cherie
Oct 08, 2007 Cherie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anais nin fans
A- I highly recommend this epistolorary collection to all Nin fans; you learn to understand her love and devotion to Miller, and you do feel a little more empathetic to Miller--he has SO much love for her. You see the raw emotions--jealous, white hot sex, passion--in these letters. They span over the years, so towards the end, they are just friends, but you know their love always runs deep.
Danielle
My first introduction to Anais Nin, completely accidental, hungry for any Miller I could find at Half Price. Like an entirely new world. At seventeen, I didn't know people could feel this way about each other. God, these two were on fire.
Lee
Once you become obsessed with Henry Miller reading about Anais Nin is a natural progression.
metaphor
Anais, you have become so vital a part of me that I’m completely upside down, if this means anything. I don’t know what I write- only that I love you, that I must have you exclusively, fiercely, possessively. I don’t know what I want. I’ve got too much, I guess. You’ve overwhelmed me and you’ve spoiled me. I keep asking harder and harder things of you. I expect you to accomplish miracles. You don’t know how I miss those nights we spent together- how much they meant to me. Other times you are jus...more
melody mooney
This is one of my very favorite reads. So passionate and full of heartbreak, drama and longing. Reading both Henry and Anais's letters made me feel like I was one of their trusted confidants to whom they revealed their most intimate of moments to.
Sophfronia Scott
The correspondence between the writers Anais Nin and Henry Miller is striking in its intimacy and, fair warning, could cause many a shy reader to blush. But this aspect of their letters is also relatively minor--the book is called "A Literate Passion" for a reason. I was drawn in not by Nin and Miller's attraction for each other, but by their powerful love for the art of writing and the tenacious loyalty they showed for each other's work even after they ceased their affair. They frequently discu...more
Tammy Marie Jacintho
These letters explore a budding friendship, the burgeoning of a tempestuous relationship, all kinds of passionate pleas for the individual in society, solemn entreaties for love and autonomy, sentiments concerning the role of the artist in 20th century America, disappointments and regrets, and finally a return to friendship.

You won’t be able to put it down. You’ll wish for letters of intimacy, that these letters could find you in the present, and, no doubt, you will morn the death of the letter...more
Sarah Hackley
Aug 28, 2009 Sarah Hackley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Miller and/or Nin
Provides deep insight into such an impassioned relationship - even more so than Nin's unexpunged diaries. The revelry and candid intimacy in the beginning to mid sections of the book gives way to strained friendship at the end. So disheartening to see such a great love fall apart! Letters shine due to Miller's and Nin's pervading wisdoms on life. Too bad they hadn't the same acuity into their hearts.
Nicole G.
I love both of these writers very much. I will read anything by them. I prefer Miller slightly over Nin, though. Who knew Miller was such a prolific letter-writer? I know now, obviously, but these letters are a glimpse into their lives, the real stuff, not just the diaries and the Tropics. You can really see the love of craft, as well as for the other.
Sage Carroll
This is a fascinating series of letters between Miller and Nin. It really gives you an intimate peek into their lives and their passionate friendship. Absolutely recommend it for fans of either author.
Saxon Henry
I'm on a Paris literary jag these days and loving reading about those glorious times in the City of Light. It's inspired me to start a virtual salon on our blog http://adroyt.com.
Lani
This is one of my all-time favorite reads. The passion and longing between Henry and Anais and their eventual lifelong relationship was awe-inspiring.
Olivestarr
An amazing collection of letters between Miller and Nin. Raw, passionate, angry. A beautiful inside look at a not always beautiful love affair.
Matthew
this is about as amazing as any friendship gets between two people. its such a peek into the lives of two of my favorite writers.
Rebecca
Largely innocuous stuff, but there were a few lines that were so brilliant that they saved the book for me completely.
Carolina
I just finished it... I may update this review when I am can see this from a distance, but for now, I am heart-broken.
Pia
I went through a several months phase of reading Anais' diaries, and found these letters fascinating alongside them...
Katie
Not as interesting as I thought it would be...disappointing. Henry and June is SO much better!!!!!
Bibliogirl
Gorgeous, raw, sensual, cerebral, literary exchange between two great authors and lovers.
E.J. Matze
Mar 03, 2010 E.J. Matze rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Recommended to E.J. by: Henry miller
Shelves: stories
She wrote to earn a living by selling articles to the newspaper, magazines and the likes.
Jackie
these letters chronicle a very intense artistic liaison...
Doreen
Briefe voller Andeutungen. Geschichte einer besonderen Beziehung.
Deanna
What do they say--riveting?
Inés
Un carteggio da leggere e rileggere. Tutto appare naturale, intimo e coinvolgente senza vincoli moralistici o sensi di colpa quando si tratta di esprimere la propria passione, il sesso e il desiderio, preservando la scrittura dalla volgarità. E' anche un documento importante che ci permette di entrare nel laboratorio intellettuale dei due scrittori.
Amanda
May 03, 2014 Amanda is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
"God, it is maddening to think that even one day must pass without writing. I shall never catch up. It is why, no doubt, I write with such vehemence, such distortion. It is despair." ~Henry Miller
  • Letters to Anaïs Nin
  • Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda: The Love Letters of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald
  • The Brontës: A Life in Letters
  • The Letters of Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf
  • Selected Letters
  • Wild Girls: Paris, Sappho, and Art: The Lives and Loves of Natalie Barney and Romaine Brooks
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is...more
More about Anaïs Nin...
Delta of Venus Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1931-1932) Little Birds The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934 A Spy in the House of Love

“Anaïs, I don't know how to tell you what I feel. I live in perpetual expectancy. You come and the time slips away in a dream. It is only when you go that I realize completely your presence. And then it is too late. You numb me. [...] This is a little drunken, Anaïs. I am saying to myself "here is the first woman with whom I can be absolutely sincere." I remember your saying - "you could fool me, I wouldn't know it." When I walk along the boulevards and think of that. I can't fool you - and yet I would like to. I mean that I can never be absolutely loyal - it's not in me. I love women, or life, too much - which it is, I don't know. But laugh, Anaïs, I love to hear you laugh. You are the only woman who has a sense of gaiety, a wise tolerance - no more, you seem to urge me to betray you. I love you for that. [...]
I don't know what to expect of you, but it is something in the way of a miracle. I am going to demand everything of you - even the impossible, because you encourage it. You are really strong. I even like your deceit, your treachery. It seems aristocratic to me.”
402 likes