Start by marking “Thunder Point” as Want to Read:
Thunder Point

Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,058 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Jack Higgins is the dean of world-class thriller writers. From The Eagle Has Landed to Eye of the Storm, his novels have entertained millions with their relentlessly paced mix of intrigue, suspense, and larger-than-life characters.
1945. Thunder Point opens at the Fuhrer Bunker in Berlin, the day before Adolf Hitler's suicide. The Fuhrer arranges for Reichsleiter Martin B
Published (first published June 23rd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Point, please sign up.

Asteropê Yes, he's the main character and focus of the series. This is #2 of the Sean Dillion series.

M.A. McRae
Jun 01, 2012 M.A. McRae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read some great books by Jack Higgins, others that were quite reasonable, but not worth adding to my permanent library. This was the first time I've read one that was frankly poor. So OK, if you just read and never think about how likely it is, you might still like it, but really...

SPOILER ALERT: Our heroes know that the opposition are murderous, Dillon has already been run off the road and shot at, the nastiest one has dropped rotting fish bait over where they were diving in order to attra
Sylvia
Jun 05, 2009 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i had this love-hate relationship with Sean Dillon...but he was pretty compassionate and totally good in this one.i love his black Irish humour!!
Pat
Of all the Jack Higgins books I've read, this is by far my favorite. Action, suspense, and the best setting for any book--the Caribbean! Great dive scenes for anyone into diving.
Martin Hill
May 20, 2016 Martin Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read Jack Higgins' Eye of the Storm, which first introduced the former IRA gunman Sean Dillon, I concluded my review with this paragraph:

"After this book, Dillon goes on to become the center character of another Higgins series. But unlike Devlin and Brosnan, I don't like Dillon. He has none of the glib Irish humor of Devlin, nor any of the introspective intellectualism of Brosnan. I simply don't want to spend more time with him. Though because I enjoy Higgins' books, I probably will. I on
Colette Hinton
I love Jack Higgins books, and this one was no exception. Fast paced, exciting and sometimes violent. I struggle to dislike/despise Sean Dillon. This leaves me feeling conflicted, as he puts minimal value on human life and makes his own rules. These rules are frequently illegal and immoral, and yet he is very much on the side of the underdog. For anyone who enjoys thrillers this is definitely a good book to read.
Raoul Jerome
Dec 15, 2016 Raoul Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good one! This is one of the earlier ones in the series, and I must admit I think it's actually better than many of the later ones. Dillon is just getting to know Ferguson and vice-versa. Dillon demonstrates that he's one of the good guys even though he describes himself as one of the bad guys. Interesting plot line and very good development. I think I have only two left to read in the series... what shall I do?
Samuel Tyler
Sep 04, 2015 Samuel Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before Sean Dillon books became the literacy equivalent of a sausage machine churning out the same thing over and over again, they were actually pretty good. ‘Thunder Point’ is the second in the Dillon series and it works because it does not feel yet as if Jack Higgins was planning to flog the books until the apocalypse. In the timeframe of ‘Thunder’, Dillon is not yet one of Ferguson’s allies and instead starts off as a mercenary. This novel explains how he jumped from being IRA man to British ...more
Lg
Aug 05, 2014 Lg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dora
Sep 11, 2015 Dora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I really enjoyed listening to the Audible book. The narrator was very skilled at providing voices for each of the characters including the dialects that Dillon chose to use.

The book opens at the close of WW II in Hitler's bunker. He has given a briefcase with money, numbered bank accounts in several different countries, a list of high ranking Nazi sympathyzers from other countries, and the Windsor protocol to Martin Borrman with instructions that he is to leave and keep the dream alive in South
Ed
#2 in the Sean Dillon series. Sean Dillon, the former IRA gunman, escaped from Brigadier Ferguson and his Group 4 after a mortar attack on No. 10 Downing Street, Eye of the Storm (1992). Now he has been captured and imprisoned in Serbia after flying in humanitarian medication. Ferguson makes a deal to have him released if he will offer his talents to Group 4 in a bid to recover Nazi documents from a newly found submarine in the Virgin Islands.

Sean Dillon series - Nazi lieutenant Martin Bormann e
Dr.J.G.
An adventure and mystery and suspense thriller attractive for the background and the story both, in proportion depending on the reader.

A deep sea diver in tropical western Atlantic discovers something extraordinary on a dive when a current takes him to a place he has never been, and no one else has in a few decades from the look of it, where on a deep sea ledge he discovers a submarine wedged precariously - but it is a very valuable discovery, it is an old submarine, German in fact from the las
Jim
Nov 27, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, ebooks, fiction
This, the second in the Sean Dillon series, contains plenty of likable characters and a fun plot, and the settings--both above and beneath the water--are a treat. The only downside is that there are once again just too many eye-rolling (as in massively dumb) decisions being made by the characters, and almost all of the plot developments served by those dumb decisions could have been achieved without making the characters appear to be so dense. Still, a fun read, and I admit that I'm hooked. Dill ...more
Doug Dams
Feb 12, 2012 Doug Dams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wondered how you make a remorseless IRA killer into a hero. In this book I found out how. Sean Dillon is rescued from a Yugoslavian firing squad by the head of a British intelligence unit called group 4. He's been recruited to help recover nazi documents from a sunken U-boat in the Caribean and of course stop a nazi group from recovering them. The documents expose the pro-nazi sympathies of famous Britians and Americans. The book is a good read. Lots of action and fast paced, plus there's the ...more
Douglas
This is the first Jack Higgins book that I have read – Sherryl brought it home from the Jr. High Library to read over the holidays. Most of the thrillers that I have read have either been techno-thrillers such as Rollins’ Sigma Force and Golemon’s Event Group; or Dan Brown type novels such as Berry’s Amber Room & Templar Legacy or Neville's The Eight. This was just a good old mercenary/spy novel. I enjoyed the writing and action and appreciated that there were no risqué scenes (I guess most ...more
Lily Rause
Un bon policier
Le coté gentleman est très plaisant
Kevin Hammond
Jun 01, 2012 Kevin Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: local-library
After having read this 18 years ago, I downloaded the audiobook to my iPhone from my local library for a 12-hour road trip. The narrator, Christian Rodska, makes the story come alive with his incredible ability to switch voices, accents and dialects effortlessly. In this the second of a nineteen book series, Sean Dillon, a former IRA gunman is 'persuaded' to work for the British government taking on the task of rescuing highly sensitive documents from a recently discovered WWII U-Boat, and at gr ...more
Gill
A friend gave me this and I did not hold out very high hopes for it, but I found it more interesting and compelling than I had expected. The main characters were fairly rounded and their relationships explored to some extent, whilst retaining its main thrust of action thriller. It did not rely on surprise or being unable to anticipate the events but yet managed by pace and skillful writing to carry one along with the story.
OK the intelligence agents show little intelligence, but I suspect this
Ian Simpson
There's a lot wrong with this book: repetition of 'tremendous'; having the Virgin Islands ahead of London, time-wise, instead of the other way round; the stupid fool-hardiness of allegedly intelligent characters; an important character 'enjoying' a drink soon after a disastrous reverse; wooden dialogue... I could go on.
But did I enjoy it? Well, yes I did actually. It's what used to be called a 'ripping yarn'. Higgins is a first-class storyteller, and he will have made a fortune for his publisher
Bob
Mar 02, 2015 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, 2 in the Sean Dillon series has Brigadier Charles Ferguson arranging Dillon's release from prison and an impending firing squad in Yugoslavia to work for him in the recovery of Documents found in a sunken German Submarine in the Virgin Islands. The British want the Documents which contain among other things the names of high ranking British Nazi sympathizers. Others are after the papers as well and the usual fights and chases ensue. I have found Higgins' books to always be readable and I hav ...more
Annette
Full of intrigue; fictional accounting of the survival of Bormann, Hitlers's second in command who was given free passage out of Germany as World War II ended. It was a fictional accounting of whether he made it to South American as has alway remain a mystery.

Interesting perspective on a very Historial time.

I learned that many English and American politcians and corporations sided with Hitler in his quest to convert the world to his view point.

Jack Higgins writes many good books mostly dealing
Greer Andjanetta
Oct 02, 2013 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A better than average mystery thriller (as one expects from Jack Higgins) about the surprise discovery of a sunken German submarine in the Caribbean containing a sealed briefcase belonging to Martin Bormann. The briefcase contains incriminating documents about the wartime activities of many English nobles, including the Duke of Windsor, and the attempts by various interested parties to recover them.
Annette
Full of intrege; fictional accounting of the survival of Bormann, Hitlers's second in command who was given free passage out of Germany as World War II ended. It was a fictional accounting of whether he made it to South American as has alway remain a mystery.

Interesting perspective on a very Historial time.

I learned that many English and American politcians sided with Hitler in his quest to convert the world to his view point.
Sharon
Nov 05, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of the "final" version of author's Sean Dillon character. The books are fairly only (1990s) so may be difficult to find at local library. The characters and plots are somewhat James Bond type story based and often a bit unbelievable. However, I've found them to be a nice, easy, and quick diversion from some of the more realistic books even though I often smile at how outlandish the scenarios occasionally are. IWouldn't want to read too many in a row.
Lu
Jan 28, 2015 Lu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sean-dillon
I really enjoyed reading this. You’ll probably like it if you’re looking for a fast paced, easy reading, with some mystery and action as well as a tropical setting and a bit of historical background. I personally loved the whole Bormann/U-Boat thing as I find WWII quite fascinating. It was also nice to read about Dillon getting to work with Ferguson and Bob Carney, three very different men somehow ending up being a well assembled and enjoyable team.
Ryan Quaranta
Aug 25, 2014 Ryan Quaranta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading Thunder Point by Jack Higgins. It is book number 2 in the series about Sean Dillon. The book was an action packed book where there was a twist around every corner. It takes a turn when he is recruited by the British government.

My favorite part was when Sean Dillon was released out of prison by the British government to help them with a mission. It is my favorite part because in the first book they are hunting him down. In this book they need his help.
Alain Dewitt
Jul 04, 2010 Alain Dewitt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Not one of Higgins' better efforts. The plot was serviceable but not particularly complex, thrilling or original. Characters weren't particularly well-developed. His main character, Sean Dillon, is pretty much a carbon copy of Liam Devlin from 'The Eagle Has Landed'. In fact, Dillon even cribs one of Devlin's lines.

If you want to read Higgins, check out the aforementioned 'The Eagle Has Landed' or 'Storm Warning'.
Joan
Feb 18, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dillon is a military man for hire. He is offered a job by Admiral Ferguson who will clear his many crimes, if Dillon will help to find a German U-boat from WWII that has info about the parents of important people in England whose parents supported the Nazis. Dillion finds himself in danger as well as everyone around him. Many people die. Dillon outsmarts the Nazi sympathizer to bring the documents back to England.
Richard
This was my third Higgins novel on the trot, but the worst. It was ok, very well written, but holes in the plot you could drive a container ship through. The main character, Sean Dillon, an ex-IRA baddie in the previous novel suddenly ends up working for a special team, sanctioned by the UK Prime Minister. Once you get your head round this quantum change in sides, he then becomes a hero that everybody loves (except the bad guys). I am a big fan of Higgins, but he has written better.
Linda
Mar 29, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps you've met terrorist Sean Dillon if you've read some of Higgins' other books. In this story his nemesis Brigadier Charles Ferguson, high up in British intelligence, actually recruits Dillon to help him find documents hidden in a sunken German U boat in the Virgin Islands. The characters are well differentiated and one soon gets caught up in the race between the good guys and the bad guys to capture the documents.

Richard
Mar 19, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the Sean Dillon series, and I enjoyed it much more than the first. Dillon an ex IRA mercenary for hire, seems to be developing a conscience and works with the Brits to recover some documents that would prove embarrassing if discovered. Much of the story takes place in the US Virgin Islands of St. John and St. Thomas.
Stupid, stupid, stupid 5 40 Aug 27, 2014 09:22PM
  • Seawitch
  • Trevayne
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
  • The League of Night and Fog (Mortalis, #3)
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Night Strike (Extreme #2)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Days of Infamy (Pearl Harbor, #2)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)