Start by marking “Ice” as Want to Read:
Ice

Ice

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The top brass of Western Intelligence are badly rattled when transatlantic cables are inexplicably and provocatively cut, and Russian and American relations reach freezing-point. Only Glyn Sherwood and Julia Hammond, two scientists working in the Antarctic, can guess the identity of the enemy. It is a gargantuan slice of the glacial continent bearing millions of tons of ro ...more
Published May 10th 1989 by Mandarin (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice

Tara
Jun 01, 2008 Tara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy natural disaster or war books
Shelves: i-own
Short and interesting, this book is the perfect read for a day on the bus or plane.

While the characterisation is sparse, the story moves fast and I found myself eagerly reading on to find out how they'd avert tragedy. The technical information is separated into little amounts that don't bore the reader, and the small amount of foreshadowing and mystery is fun to try and figure out. A very good read.
Sean Randall
Nov 09, 2013 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
"He bit on his cigar and summed up with a six-word sentence that made up in conciseness what it lacked in finesse: “Those bastards are up to something.”"

This is a very good Follett indeed. Obviously, I can't say with any degree of certainty what would happen if a gargantuan iceberg decided to start rolling its way through the ocean, but for your average lay person this is quite an interesting premise to read about. It's at the eighteenth chapter, I think, we start to get a glimpse of our charact
Jake Bennett
Aug 13, 2015 Jake Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good thriller with lots of daring do.

I might have given it another star if many of the sequences had not been so unrealistic. I kept wondering when James Bond was going to appear.
Linda
Sep 20, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
The initial premise of this book is that an ice shelf the size of Connecticut has broken away from Antarctica. So far, so good; that HAS happened in the past.

HOWEVER ... Ignoring all actual current patterns, and not even getting stuck in the doldrums, said shelf travels northeastward up the Atlantic Ocean, takes a left at Brazil, then travels northwestward and heads straight for the tip of Manhattan (presumably missing Lady Liberty, but I read this so many years ago I've forgotten).

If you igno
Adrian
Dec 15, 2015 Adrian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one up thinking it was by Ken Follett ! It proved to be three short novels in the spy-thriller genre. There wee some whimsical moments, especially in the middle one, such as meeting with an Ian Fleming and James Bond. All good reads, to put in your holiday reading bag.
Nathan Pinno
Feb 23, 2011 Nathan Pinno rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
A solid read from this author. This was the first book I've read by Follett, and it kept me rooted to it until I had it done. An amazing read and it sounds like the author did his research before writing it.
Steve Markham
Jun 23, 2012 Steve Markham rated it liked it
This book isn't bad but the ending is just a tad povious. Has the od bit of umour as a fair few of his seem to which helped with the enjoyment.
S.J. Hailey
May 09, 2013 S.J. Hailey rated it really liked it
One of my library frenzy books.

Read everything he had written.

Love the work.
Henry
Mar 19, 2012 Henry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cold-and-snow
Not a bad read at all. An Ice Berg is heading towards New York.
Paul Servini
Nov 28, 2011 Paul Servini rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Quite predictable at times, but enjoyable enough.
Nov 29, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Available at BBC Radio 7. Quite interesting.
Sam Burnett
Aug 22, 2012 Sam Burnett rated it really liked it
Brr.
Bettie☯
Jack Gulden
Jack Gulden rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
avid reader
avid reader rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2016
Richard Wallace Ludden
Richard Wallace Ludden rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
William Allingham
William Allingham is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2016
Carl H. Binder
Carl H. Binder rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
MaryAnn T. Lindsay
MaryAnn T. Lindsay rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Sara Meyer
Sara Meyer rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Fritz
Fritz rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Chris Villar
Chris Villar rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
G Boyd
G Boyd rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Dolly Gomez
Dolly Gomez marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Martin Sloane
Martin Sloane rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
michael j hurley
michael j hurley rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James Follett (not "Follet") is an author and screenwriter, born in 1939 in Tolworth, England.

Follett became a full-time fiction writer in 1976, after resigning from contract work as a technical writer for the British Ministry of Defence. He has since written over 20 novels, several television plays, and many radio dramas. He is one of the 400 most popular British authors, measured by the numbers
More about James Follett...