Start by marking “The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3)

The Judgment (Charley Sloan #3)

The death of innocence

In a rural area outside of Detroit, bodies are being found in the snow. One after another. Neatly washed, wrapped in platic, methodically laid out like sleeping angels. And very, very young.

The birth of evil

Forty miles away and at the other end of the world, an honest cop, the deputy chief chief of police, has been framed for a corruption charge. In a
Published January 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Judgment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Judgment

Linda Strong
Charley Sloane, at one time a brilliant lawyer, lost almost everything. He escaped being disbarred and only had a year-long suspension. He spent that year becoming a recovering alcoholic. Slowly, bit by bit, he’s gained his self-confidence, won a few cases, and the phone is ringing more often these days.

Outside of Detroit, the bodies of young children, wrapped in saran wrap are found buried in the snow. Sue Gillis, Homicide Detective and Charley’s girlfriend, is getting a little perturbed. Seems
Chris Bridson
Apr 18, 2014 Chris Bridson rated it it was ok
Decent law thriller. A little too much lawyer/cop relationship melodrama as well as a little too much pontificating about life. Kind of like a soap opera meets a cop show. Coughlin's style is less hard-edged than Grisham's. The ending is abrupt... the story that goes on for 400 pages gets wrapped up in a couple of pages.
Neil
Jun 03, 2017 Neil rated it really liked it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a real easy read.
If you like a book with plenty of twists then this is for you.
Gina Levert
Mar 20, 2017 Gina Levert rated it it was amazing
Steady read...can't wait to see who the killer is!

Great ending. Enjoyed from cover to cover!
Edward Weiss
Apr 04, 2016 Edward Weiss rated it really liked it
I'm usually a fairly organized guy, but one would never know it by the order in which I have read these Charley Sloan novels. I started with the second, followed by the fourth, then the last which was at best plotted out by Coughlin but written by Walter Sorrells and then the third, interspersed with two of his earlier non-Sloan series novels. I live in Mexico and can seldom get exactly what I want when I want it, but I hope to finally get to the first in the series when I get to the States next ...more
Debbie Oxier
Feb 03, 2017 Debbie Oxier rated it really liked it
This was a very good legal thriller although there's very little courtroom action. The story centers around lawyer Charley Sloan. It's difficult to review because there are two storylines occurring simultaneously. The action takes place in and around Detroit. Charley used to practice in the city until he started drinking, got himself suspended from the bar, and had to fight his way back. At the moment he's dating a woman, Sue Gillis, who works for the police department. When a child's body is fo ...more
Jinny Angelis
Aug 14, 2016 Jinny Angelis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truth is stranger than fiction

Take a recovering alcoholic criminal lawyer in a small town near Detroit. Add a smattering of good friends both current and from the past in quixotic late fall weather with a heavy dusting of snow as a series of young innocent children are found murdered with few clues. Solving the murders, catching up with old friends and coming to terms with money that disappeared from a safe and a man's search for truth in his life littered with reasons for trying to stay sober p
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fabulous author died last year but his widow just published this addition to the Charley Sloan series. I know it's too much to hope for, but I sure hope she's got more to come! Lawyer Charley Sloan handles the small cases out of his small office just outside of Detroit. But now his little town is looking more like Detroit. A serial killer is leaving bodies of small children all around. These children have been murdered and then bathed and their clothes washed and then they have been wrapped ...more
Smoochys
It was just okay

This was not a courtroom thriller. In fact the book hardly had any courtroom action. There were two mysteries. The one involving the Detroit policeman was interesting and had a very surprising ending. The other was stupid. The actions and dialogue associated with the mystery were dull, and it was just not good. So, you have a book with two mysteries - one good and the other bad.
gailkjohnson
Oct 04, 2016 gailkjohnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner!

Just recently discovered William J Coughlin, and have added him to my favorite writers..Charlie Sloan is drawn realistically, warts and all, and yet his courtroom and sleuthing expertise make him a cut or ten above. Would recommend this series highly and can't wait to start the next installment!!
BonusMom
Sep 08, 2016 BonusMom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery

I have to go back and read #2 but missing it didn't really affect this story. It moved along quickly and kept me guessing right to the end. I even went back in the book while I was reading to see if there were clues every time I figured out who the murderer was. EVERY time. Good book..
Rod
I'm finished with The Judgement: just finished The Judgement it was a top read and a standout in the Charlie Sloan series I probably shouldn't say to much yet as I will read Proof Of Intent next and I feel its going to be a top read to at nearly 400 pages these are good legal thrillers 5 stars
Andrew Massa
Oct 11, 2016 Andrew Massa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judgement

This is the best book I've read in a while. The author kept various story lines going with excitement and interest through the book. I would highly recommend the book and look forward to reading more of this authors work.
Ron Bradley
Oct 30, 2016 Ron Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie Sloane, great character.

I chose 5 stars due to how the author could keep me interested in so many different lives involved for one guy.
Keeps me from getting up or setting the book down.
Gloria Perry
Good story

This is the third in the series. What I like is you don't have to read the prior books in the series to be able to enjoy each book. What I didn't like was the proofreading in this book was sloppy. For me that detracts from the enjoyment of reading.
Erin
Oct 06, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it
I love this series! Definitely a Charlie Sloan fan!
lenora crenshaw
Sep 11, 2016 lenora crenshaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good thriller

Thoroughly enjoyed this author's approach to his mysteries, very thrilling to watch his solutions and his personal struggles which make him very human.
Mom
Oct 20, 2016 Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Illuminating

This book has to be read from beginning to end. Very well written and the characters very believable. A lesson to be learned at the end.
Debra Chapoton
Apr 15, 2015 Debra Chapoton rated it it was ok
Stopped half way through. Just not interesting enough.
Brian
Oct 19, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Excellent book, easy to read.
clm
Jan 28, 2017 clm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my favorite

Charley Sloan. Despite the fact that there is no trial action, and the denouement is a little too neat, this story is excellent.
Rhod
May 23, 2015 Rhod rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most of Coughlin's efforts. Not a bad story.
lyn
lyn rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2008
Susan Queen
Susan Queen rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
kimberly merrill
kimberly merrill rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2016
Ramona Coulston
Ramona Coulston rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Linda Cabral
Linda Cabral rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Mary A Cunningham
Mary A Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Geraldine Monaghan
Geraldine Monaghan rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Pat Carpenter
Pat Carpenter rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Breach of Trust
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • The Shortest Day: Murder at the Revels (Homer Kelly, #11)
  • Dark Homecoming
  • Against the Wind
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • The Baxter Trust (Steve Winslow, #1)
  • The Extinguished Guest (Lexie Starr Mystery #2)
  • The Fourth Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #5)
  • Rebel for the Hell of It: The Life of Tupac Shakur
  • Chocolate Can Kill (Emily Harris Mystery, #1)
  • The Private Eye / Beguiled
  • Dark Justice (Ben Kincaid, #8)
  • The Black Echo / The Poet
  • 19 Purchase Street
  • Dead Blondes Tell No Tales (A Scumble River Mystery, #6.5)
  • Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)
William Jeremiah Coughlin (1929-1992), former defense attorney and judge in Detroit for twenty years, was the author of sixteen novels. He lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with his wife, Ruth, an author and book critic.

Also wrote under the pseudonym of Sean A. Key.
More about William J. Coughlin...

Charley Sloan (4 books)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan, #1)
  • Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2)
  • Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #4)

“lot to convince me that there is some” 0 likes