Start by marking “Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)” as Want to Read:
Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)

Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  2,140 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The ways of magic are revealed in nature . . . The secrets are written in meandering streams and drifting clouds, whispered by the roaring ocean and cooling breeze, echoed through caves and rocks and forests.

When you draw a heart in the sand, call on the four winds for assistance, or ask the rain to wash away a bad habit, you are practicing earth magic. By working in harmo
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1983)

Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonCunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
The Best Pagan Books
10th out of 294 books — 235 voters
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott CunninghamDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas SchreckThe Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews by Scott CunninghamCunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic by Scott CunninghamInitiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon
Essential Magikal Books
12th out of 122 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve Cran
Scott Cunningham is one of the premier voices in Wicca. He has written over 50 books on Wicca and Witch craft. In this short comprehensive book called "Earth Magic" the author discusses Earth Magic. Earth Magic is based on tapping into the energy off the four elements. Earth, Fire, Air and water. The rituals are simple and easy to use. They are mostly folk magic and the spells have been around for a very long time which means they are tried and true. These spells are not Wiccan they are from an ...more
Sep 30, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
Careful, you might spill your magick!

Also I just really want to be a cool witch, but I suck at believing in things. Maybe one day.
Julie Decker
Jul 28, 2014 Julie Decker rated it liked it
Many people who are interested in practicing magic in the context of Wicca will be expecting consecrated tools, wordy rituals, elemental and divine invocations, and extensive use of materials. They may be surprised to get a glimpse at the roots of folk magic: very simple everyday rituals are described in this book, encouraging practitioners to make magic a consistent and easy form of interacting with day-to-day life. Most magic is simply an extension of a person's desire, and performing the magi ...more
Erik Akre
May 08, 2016 Erik Akre rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Earth-centrics; those who appreciate Scott Cunningham's approach to Wicca
Shelves: wicca
You gotta love Scott Cunningham. In his short life he produced book after book of (mostly and often) interesting ideas, practices, and perspectives. This little book of spells and rituals, based on the four elements, is delightfully creative and playful. I appreciate his attitude, and the spirit of this book, which is so Earth-centric and reverent in its own way.

I have to say that I didn't last long enough as a witch to try out any of these spells, but the book inspired me nevertheless. I think
Loona Wynd
The book Earth Power by Scott Cunningham is a very simple to read and easy to follow book that covers the basics of magic and witchcraft. The author provides several easy to follow spells and rituals that enable a new seeker to be able to read the book and start practicing magic right away. This tome provides spells and rituals for beginners as well as experienced practitioners of magic.

This book is divided into three sections. The first section of the book talks about the basics of magic and sp
Jul 27, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: witchcraft
Lovely little book full of handy information and short, uncomplicated spells that often don't need any extra materials that can't be found outdoors. Particularly loved, as a long haired girl, the part where he informs the reader that waking up with knots in your hair often signifies that elves or fairies have been playing with it in the night. A fun read for anyone wanting to feel closer to nature, particularly in our modern, urbanized world.
My first wicca-book. I think it might have been helpful to have read a bit more into the subject beforehand, but even as it was I found this interesting and easily approachable. I actually loved reading about different ways and means to practice modern witchcraft and I just had to write down some of the techincks introduced here, even though I'm not too familiar with the basic understanding/knowledge behind it all. I liked the gentle guidance of Mr. Cunningham a lot, too, and he never failed to ...more
Jan 13, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Chapters are brief, but informative. The appendices aren't long, so if you're looking for an extremely thorough list of runes or colors this might not be the source to go with.

I found the infomation useful and interesting, even when short. There are a lot of practical and simple ways to perform magic that probably get overlooked. What I liked best was just that: the simplicity. A lot of books I've read, or thumbed through, make the process into elaborate rituals. And while this, I'm sure, works
Mar 05, 2013 Onyx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginners and other dreamers
This was the very first book that reintroduced me to world of magic in 1992. The rituals were so simple, and the artwork was so inspiring, I could just imagine myself being the women in the drawings casting the spells. From then on out, I had more of a leaning toward the simple elegance of elemental magic as opposed to the clunky ceremonial magic that had way too much overkill in the theatrical drama department....even though I have delved into my own version of it every once in a very great whi ...more
Apr 18, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dieses Buch eignet sich wunderbar für Einsteiger in die Magie. Jeder, der keinen Sinn daran hat, Unmengen an Geld für teures Zauber-Zubehör auszugeben und fürchterlich komplizierte Rituale zu zelebrieren, wird daran seine Freude haben. Mit ganz einfachen Mitteln, die uns die Erde selbst zur Verfügung stellt, lässt sich schon die Welt verändern. Die Magie, die Cunningham beschreibt, ist eine Magie des einfachen Volkes. Jeder Bauer hat noch vor nicht allzu langer Zeit seine speziellen kleinen Anru ...more
May 05, 2016 Elena rated it it was amazing
In the world of magic/Wicca there is, perhaps, none better known than Scott Cunningham. This book is full of elemental magic to help you connect with, as the title suggests, the power of the earth. You can read it all at once or thumb through to look for relevant information relating to a spell you are crafting. All of Cunningham's books are written in an easy pick-up/put-down style that you can just go right to what you need. A must for the beginner.
Davida Temima
Basic and useful intro to elemental magic. Cunningham mostly writes from a european perspective and he makes this clear. There are only s few moments where I wanted more clarification, and many specific tips and tricks included. If you are familiar with basic folk magic and elemental powers, you would probably find this a bit of a bore....but I am glad to have read it as a primer :).
May 04, 2016 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent as a beginner book to understand some of the old forgotten lore! It is primarily focused on Wiccan practice but, as all pagans know, there is much to be transferred between these faiths! The focus is positive and positive uses of magic. There is an acknowledgement of dark and dark practices. However, the intent of this book is good stuff!

I found the practices to be generic in reference which eases my mind. More importantly, it encourages you to trust your intuition versus
May 14, 2015 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: read-books
Not a very in-depth book, but still an informative one. It's condensed, I think that's the point. Something different for me to read, and overall is an interesting read.
Betina Jackson
Jul 04, 2016 Betina Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cover to cover

Great read, in plain English. Well thought out, we'll written, easy to follow. Couldn't put this book down! Scott Cunningham brings magic in easy to understand form, always.
Jun 27, 2014 Piggie rated it really liked it
This is in all reality a text book or reference text. This isn't the sort of thing that you break out for casual reading. However, if you're interested in getting a better understanding of the Wiccan faith, this is a pretty basic look at the faith of magic. It explains some of the basic concepts of magic and includes some of the spells. Having been long familiar with the material, I found it more basic then I was looking for in a reference text. But, this is an excellent starting point for belie ...more
Aaron Meyer
Jan 11, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult
It is one of the classics, there is no getting away from that. Yes it is simplistic but between the writing and the artwork it kind of grows on you.
Alexia Moon
I loved it. My first book in Paganism was from Cunnigham and reading his books again is fantastic. I love his writing and how he connects with the reader. This book not only gives you several spells related to Natural Magic but also does a thing which most books don't: Teaches you to love Natural Magic. To work with it, to feel connect to the world around you. That is just fantastic!
May 16, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirit
I made a good decision to read this small book as an introduction to mysticism, it's made simple and straight to the point. It contains the right amount of theory to get you started and enable you to understand what it means to make willful acts to change your world, then takes you through a hands-on practical journey.
Tasha Thibodeau
Aug 20, 2016 Tasha Thibodeau rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent introduction to using the powers of natural magic. This is a great book for anyone who is looking to get their feet wet. I would not recommend this book to someone who is well versed in magick or the Occult, however, if you are looking for something easy to read this is the book for you!
Attila Benő
Jul 01, 2016 Attila Benő rated it really liked it
Too simple. I was looking for more in-depth information. The book is quite good, but if you want to get a better understanding of the topic, you need to do more research, this book is not enough.
Dec 18, 2012 RyanOhRama rated it really liked it
The only reason I chose four stars other than five is because the beginning is just like every other book you read about this subject. Took a little while to get into the actual purpose but overall an effective and educational book for anyone interested in nature and intention.
Nikki Ashendorf
Sep 12, 2012 Nikki Ashendorf rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Who doesn't love Uncle Scott Cunningham? I have all of his books, they where my teachers 14 yrs ago when I was just a budding witch. While I am not Wiccan anymore, I just can't get rid of them. I also lend them out to my students who want to learn the Wiccan path.
Nov 09, 2007 Swankivy rated it liked it
I thought this was decent but kind of simplistic; in any case it was a good intro to elemental and natural magic, with some good suggestions for exercises. I didn't actually end up applying much of what he taught in here though.
Bianca Bradley
Jul 24, 2013 Bianca Bradley rated it it was amazing
More natural remedies geared toward protection and part of his kitchen witchery K.I.S.S principle. He is a master of Keep it simple stupid. Not many others could keep it concise, poetic, and workable.
Feb 04, 2011 C.C. rated it it was amazing
My mom got me this book when I was twelve years old and I still have it. i read through it many times and found many of the techniques in it work wonders. Very simple earth magick.
Althea Flame
Oct 23, 2014 Althea Flame rated it really liked it
Great little book about natural magic. Very simple and to me very magical techniques working with natural energies. Especially loved the chapters about stone magic and sea magic.
Sep 15, 2016 Brianna rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, it contains information on every topic I am interested in and then some. I am amazed at how much information has been put into this little book!
Mar 14, 2008 Pamela rated it really liked it
A great resource for those interested in natural magic. Cunningham gives sample rituals for different purposes, and they're very easy to adapt for your own rituals.
Angie Rhodes
May 31, 2013 Angie Rhodes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I love this book,informative,and easy to understand. Scott Cunnigham,is a must read author,for anyone interested in Wicca.
Pagan Bookclub: Earth Power - June Read 1 6 Jun 03, 2012 02:40AM
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
  • Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • True Magick: A Beginner's Guide
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • The Witches' God
  • The Witch in Every Woman: Reawakening the Magical Nature of the Feminine to Heal, Protect, Create, and Empower
  • An ABC of Witchcraft: Past and Present
  • Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • Hedgewitch: Spells, Crafts & Rituals for Natural Magick
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi
More about Scott Cunningham...

“Kielteisen magian harjoittajaa uhkaavat monet vaarat. Magia saattaa hyvinkin toimia, mutta edessä olevan rangaistuksen ankaruus kumoaa saavutetun hyödyn vääjäämättä.
Yksi magian periaatteista on se, että sen harjoittaja saa aina takaisin samaa mitä on itse antanut. --- Kielteisen magian harjoittaja saa vastaansa pelkkää kielteisyyttä, joka lopulta tuhoaa hänet.”