The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home

The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,391 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Recognize and celebrate the magic of life with timeless rites and spells. Create a magical household--a haven of harmony, safety, spirituality, security, and romance. The benefits include a happier existence, protection against thieves, improved health, restful sleep, satisfying spiritual experiences, and a perfect environment for positive magic. This warm and wise guide b...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Magical Household, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magical Household

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerWicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonA Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar
Best Pagan Non Fiction Reads
14th out of 134 books — 139 voters
Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas SchreckThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton
The Best Pagan Books
25th out of 198 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

Katje van Loon
Sep 26, 2011 Katje van Loon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hearthwitches looking for a starting point
Shelves: owned, witchcraft
I feel "Spells and Rituals" is a bit of a misnomer here. The book is a collection of folk magic for the home -- some spells and rituals are listed, but not many (my definition of ritual here is the more ceremonial magic inspired type, not the small little things we do everyday -- your mileage may vary).

I would have called it Spells and Recipes for a Happy Household. Cunningham packs this book full of things you can do to ensure peace and wellbeing in your house, as well as a chapter on portents...more
Ryan Williams
This was a very good depiction of the different parts of the household and what the magical meaning was. The book was chock full of interesting tidbits from Pagan, Judeo-Christian, Eastern religions and more.

I liked that the book was set up with each area as a chapter and then it moved through the different magical lore about that specific area. There were, different magical associations and spells within each chapter. The gardening chapter was especially helpful.

Overall a great Pagan read.
Julie Sondra Decker
With suggestions for how to bless, decorate, and magically involve every room and area of your house, Scott Cunningham's book helps magical people live a magical existence. There are ideas for outdoors as well as indoors, and though some might be a bit impractical, there is some useful philosophy in here (like why it's useful to cover a television when it's not being used, so passive entertainment isn't always focused upon as the major draw of family togetherness time). That said, I was living i...more
Bonnie
After having been a fan of the great Scott Cunningham for a few years I had to have this book. I bought it for my mother who was moving at the time. We both read it and were very interested in the use of folklore and history used in this book. For such a small book it stil makes for an excellent read.
Trista Carter
Even though I am not big on "spell books" (magick to me is personal, not publishable) this has some great folk magick and information in it. Would not expect any less from Scott Cunningham.
Awallens
Recognize and celebrate the magic of life with timeless rites and spells. Create a magical household—a haven of harmony, safety, spirituality, security,
a perfect environment for positive magic. This warm and wise guide by much loved author Scott Cunningham has been helping people create sacred space in
their homes and gardens for nearly twenty yea...more
Ashley
I didn't actually read the whole book. Read several chapters in full, including the Preface and Intro which were sadly the best parts I could find.

Cunningham and Harrington create a typical image of a magical person and the way they live. That's not to say it's wrong, but I wasn't looking for stereotypical ideals or descriptions.

While written well, and helpful in some ways, I wouldn't say that this a book of 'Spells and Rituals.' It's a book of folk lore, old wives tales, and other folk tradit...more
Rawannie
Granted, this relatively quick read doesn't include much on full-blown rituals or spells, so if that's what you're wanting in a book, this probably isn't the one for you. What Cunningham and Harrington offer in these pages, however, is a collection of folklore/old ways that can inspire more creative spell working and talisman conjuring in the modern witchy household. Personally, I love learning about the folklore and traditions of the world and this alone has made The Magical Household one of my...more
Molly
I guess the only reason I took so long to read this book is that I don't recall ever seeing it in a local bookshop and I rarely buy by mail/online. I got this (along with quite a few of the other books on my waiting list) with a prize gift certificate to Pentacle Press. So here we are, reading Cunningham like back in the day. lol So forgive this review of it's nostalgia and a bit of eye-rolling.

First, I'd forgotten how much Cunningham likes to give introductions. This book has a preface, and int...more
i believe 100% in the power of the placebo effect, so i'd say in that respect i can get behind certain magic spells and rituals (meaning, i believe there is real power in the power of belief). i was a little disappointed that this didn't contain much in the way of spell and ritual origins; more background and history would have been a nice addition. i did discover some simple ideas i like quite a bit, however.
Brandy
This book is jam packed with excellent information. The only reason I've given it just 3 stars is because of the organizational style. Cunningham has so much information to impart on so many varied subjects that everything gets loosley lumped into chapters, and from there it is like reading a series of tips, or talking to my rambling granny every thrid Saturday and trying to keep the conversations cohesive. One or two short sentences on each topic, then onto the next!

I'm going to have to read it...more
Eli
This is a light-hearted and joyful book, written before readers of Pagan books cared about pesky things like credentials and references.

But it reads like Cunningham and Harrington just copied their Books of Shadows into the word processor and called it a book. Despite being organized into sections on "The Garage", "The Bedroom", "Altars", etc., it's more like an abridged encyclopedia than any sort of coherent guide to household magic. Correspondences and spells are listed without indication of w...more
Cory
It's easy to tell, reading this, how Cunningham is the authority that he is today. The only thing that really bugs me is the general statements without a shred of evidence given in the text (there is a reference list at the end, but the links aren't clear). I think that's more a fault of the time and style in which the book was written.
Colleen
I moseyed my way through this book over the last few months. Some of it the information presented has been helpful to my practice, so it's been good to page through it now and again, but it's a bit dry. It has very little discussion about household magick, which would be useful and interesting to me. Instead it spent most of the time reading like this: "...and to weave this type of magick in your home, you could do this, or this, or this..."
Swankivy
I found this book kinda disappointing and I'm not sure why. It gave a lot of good suggestions for "magical" ideas for the household, but it wasn't interesting to read and it kind of assumed too much about your home (like, that it probably has a fireplace, cellar, et cetera; in other words, it assumes you DON'T live in a one-room apartment). I didn't take much away from this that I could actually use.
Michelle
Generally I think this book is helpful. I feel like Scott Cunningham books tend to only skim the surface (which upsets me a little, as I feel he has more to offer than that). If you want to "witch-up" your house though, this book contains valuable charms, and lore (which I found the most fascinating).
Rey Walker
I enjoyed the historical information of some superstitions and actions I've heard about but did not know where/how they originated. For example, my grandmother kept a horseshoe above the door because she said it was lucky. I have done the same but never knew why it's considered lucky. Know I do.
Tasneem
This is an interesting book, but only focused on American/European folk magic. I find it lacking in research, nothing is said of the near or far east, of Indian mystyism for example. So, its a fairly okay beginner's guide, but if you are interested in world magic, this is not the text to turn to.
Samantha
Seems like a book which dedicates a chapter with some highlights of (and reference to) other Cunningham books. Perhaps more interesting if you haven't read most of them already, and it does give a few insights, but it probably won't be in my collection any time soon.
Ivon
Nov 19, 2008 Ivon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pagans and Wiccans
What a wonderful reference book for any Pagan home. When I began to learn Wicca, this book became a staple in my house. It had many things to immediately do to improve the spiritual quality of my house. I went to it often to enhance or reinforce things already done.
Lynda
It was interesting. I read this years ago, but I still have small bowls of rose quartzes and obsideon around my apartment. I still burn sage about once a week. Usually after flooring washing because I can't stand the smell of cleaning fluids.

Michelle Vaughn
Each page of this book is packed with tips for keeping one's home and mundane life magical. But, even if not interested in magic for practical purposes, Cunningham and Harrington include many historical and folkoric details which enrich the text.
Leannear24
this is an okay book
it is full of usefull information that you can use in your home
some of the things that were mentioned i was not too sure about but thats just me
otherwise it was very good
Barb Murphy
An interesting guide explaining the ins and outs of adding some simple magic to your home. A simple guide broken down into sections (furnishings, kitchen, bathroom, garden).
Molly
The occasional good nugget, but for the most part extremely low quality. Choppily written, odd collection of poorly referenced tidbits of questionable validity or purpose.
Patricia
This one has been a lifesaver in the few years. It has guided me through cleansing, cleaning, and warding my home for every eventuality. Blessed be this work.
Sally Borland
This is a a great starter book and a good add to the collection. A lot of great ideas and cute lore. But also a good lot of info for a newer pagan.
Shandra
Aug 31, 2010 Shandra marked it as to-read
Started it via interlibrary loan. I think it's worth owning my own copy - kind of a Wiccan take on feng shui, and full of interesting tidbits.
Penelope
A very useful guide for all Hearth/Kitchen Witches and perfect for those that are new to working within the hearth and home.
Penny
Feb 14, 2011 Penny added it
cleansing your kitchen sound like more work than it's worth. I recommend just building a new house.
Preference 1 9 Apr 07, 2008 04:14PM
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • True Magick: A Beginner's Guide
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
  • Animal Magick: The Art of Recognizing and Working with Familiars
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • Celebrate the Earth: A Year of Holidays in the Pagan Tradition
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi...more
More about Scott Cunningham...
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series) (Cunningham's Encyclopedia Series) The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic