Start by marking “The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home” as Want to Read:
The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home

The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,768 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Recognize and celebrate the magic of life with timeless rites and spells. Create a magical household—a haven of harmony, safety, spirituality, security, and romance. The benefits include a happier existence, protection against thieves, improved health, restful sleep, satisfying spiritual experiences, and a perfect environment for positive magic. This warm and wise guide by ...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Magical Household, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magical Household

Wicca by Scott CunninghamDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonLiving Wicca by Scott Cunningham
Best Pagan Non Fiction Reads
15th out of 205 books — 173 voters
Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas Schreck
The Best Pagan Books
38th out of 284 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

Katje van Loon
Sep 26, 2011 Katje van Loon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hearthwitches looking for a starting point
Shelves: owned, witchcraft
I feel "Spells and Rituals" is a bit of a misnomer here. The book is a collection of folk magic for the home -- some spells and rituals are listed, but not many (my definition of ritual here is the more ceremonial magic inspired type, not the small little things we do everyday -- your mileage may vary).

I would have called it Spells and Recipes for a Happy Household. Cunningham packs this book full of things you can do to ensure peace and wellbeing in your house, as well as a chapter on portents
Ryan Williams
Apr 03, 2012 Ryan Williams rated it it was amazing
This was a very good depiction of the different parts of the household and what the magical meaning was. The book was chock full of interesting tidbits from Pagan, Judeo-Christian, Eastern religions and more.

I liked that the book was set up with each area as a chapter and then it moved through the different magical lore about that specific area. There were, different magical associations and spells within each chapter. The gardening chapter was especially helpful.

Overall a great Pagan read.
Rawannie
Granted, this relatively quick read doesn't include much on full-blown rituals or spells, so if that's what you're wanting in a book, this probably isn't the one for you. What Cunningham and Harrington offer in these pages, however, is a collection of folklore/old ways that can inspire more creative spell working and talisman conjuring in the modern witchy household. Personally, I love learning about the folklore and traditions of the world and this alone has made The Magical Household one of my ...more
Julie Decker
Aug 03, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was ok
With suggestions for how to bless, decorate, and magically involve every room and area of your house, Scott Cunningham's book helps magical people live a magical existence. There are ideas for outdoors as well as indoors, and though some might be a bit impractical, there is some useful philosophy in here (like why it's useful to cover a television when it's not being used, so passive entertainment isn't always focused upon as the major draw of family togetherness time). That said, I was living i ...more
Lorenia L. Lemas
Jun 30, 2015 Lorenia L. Lemas rated it it was amazing
I had read this book a few years ago, walked away from the idea of spells and blessings. Have decided to walk back to it and read it again. I feel I can use this in real life and be happy. The book has basic spells and ideas to give you a magical home and garden. I recommend it for people starting out, good tips and ideas!
Bonnie
Jun 25, 2010 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan-wiccan
After having been a fan of the great Scott Cunningham for a few years I had to have this book. I bought it for my mother who was moving at the time. We both read it and were very interested in the use of folklore and history used in this book. For such a small book it stil makes for an excellent read.
Trista Carter
May 10, 2013 Trista Carter rated it it was amazing
Even though I am not big on "spell books" (magick to me is personal, not publishable) this has some great folk magick and information in it. Would not expect any less from Scott Cunningham.
Awallens
Aug 18, 2009 Awallens rated it it was ok
a perfect environment for positive magic. This warm and wise guide by much loved author Scott Cunningham has been helping people create sacred space in
their homes and gardens for nearly twenty yea
Ashley
Jun 23, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
I didn't actually read the whole book. Read several chapters in full, including the Preface and Intro which were sadly the best parts I could find.

Cunningham and Harrington create a typical image of a magical person and the way they live. That's not to say it's wrong, but I wasn't looking for stereotypical ideals or descriptions.

While written well, and helpful in some ways, I wouldn't say that this a book of 'Spells and Rituals.' It's a book of folk lore, old wives tales, and other folk tradit
Molly
Feb 23, 2013 Molly rated it it was ok
I guess the only reason I took so long to read this book is that I don't recall ever seeing it in a local bookshop and I rarely buy by mail/online. I got this (along with quite a few of the other books on my waiting list) with a prize gift certificate to Pentacle Press. So here we are, reading Cunningham like back in the day. lol So forgive this review of it's nostalgia and a bit of eye-rolling.

First, I'd forgotten how much Cunningham likes to give introductions. This book has a preface, and int
Feb 15, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
i believe 100% in the power of the placebo effect, so i'd say in that respect i can get behind certain magic spells and rituals (meaning, i believe there is real power in the power of belief). i was a little disappointed that this didn't contain much in the way of spell and ritual origins; more background and history would have been a nice addition. i did discover some simple ideas i like quite a bit, however.
Andrea
Jun 03, 2015 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like Scott Cunningham. I did not like this book. The information in the book is all jammed together with no clear way to reference it individually. If you wanted a general book of ideas this might be helpful but finding a particular idea that is is one sentence on a whole page isn't helpful for me.
Brandy
Sep 13, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it
This book is jam packed with excellent information. The only reason I've given it just 3 stars is because of the organizational style. Cunningham has so much information to impart on so many varied subjects that everything gets loosley lumped into chapters, and from there it is like reading a series of tips, or talking to my rambling granny every thrid Saturday and trying to keep the conversations cohesive. One or two short sentences on each topic, then onto the next!

I'm going to have to read it
Nikki
Aug 11, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it
So interesting!!
Loved the section on furniture placement and all the things to do with brooms!
Even some natural cleaning methods and making the house smell like yummy herbs that also keep pests and bad vibes away.
Salem with love throwing salt around the house too haha
Can't wait to have a garden though! That section was awesome.
Eli
Dec 21, 2010 Eli rated it liked it
This is a light-hearted and joyful book, written before readers of Pagan books cared about pesky things like credentials and references.

But it reads like Cunningham and Harrington just copied their Books of Shadows into the word processor and called it a book. Despite being organized into sections on "The Garage", "The Bedroom", "Altars", etc., it's more like an abridged encyclopedia than any sort of coherent guide to household magic. Correspondences and spells are listed without indication of w
Cory
Apr 15, 2014 Cory rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
It's easy to tell, reading this, how Cunningham is the authority that he is today. The only thing that really bugs me is the general statements without a shred of evidence given in the text (there is a reference list at the end, but the links aren't clear). I think that's more a fault of the time and style in which the book was written.
Lesley Miller
Jun 16, 2015 Lesley Miller rated it it was amazing
Looking for a great introduction to house magic and lore? Then this is the book for you. It covers a variety of topics regarding the home, including how to bless and protect it. I found the different customs interesting and learned some new customs I will impliment in my home. This is a great introduction and not complicated magic. The few spells and rituals included are easy to perform, making it great for beginners and experienced witches. Highly recommend!
Mary Ann
Jun 24, 2015 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
Hundreds of spells and ideas to make the home magical and to solve household problems of negative energy. A truely magical book and highly recommended.
Jodine Linnéa
Jul 01, 2015 Jodine Linnéa rated it it was ok
Shelves: pagan-books
Just a collection of different folk lore or superstitions, nor really that much useful information.
Mary
Jan 13, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read. Very interesting, filled with folklore and magical information.
Colleen
Aug 28, 2015 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: pagan-nonfiction
I moseyed my way through this book over the last few months. Some of it the information presented has been helpful to my practice, so it's been good to page through it now and again, but it's a bit dry. It has very little discussion about household magick, which would be useful and interesting to me. Instead it spent most of the time reading like this: "...and to weave this type of magick in your home, you could do this, or this, or this..."
Swankivy
Nov 09, 2007 Swankivy rated it it was ok
I found this book kinda disappointing and I'm not sure why. It gave a lot of good suggestions for "magical" ideas for the household, but it wasn't interesting to read and it kind of assumed too much about your home (like, that it probably has a fireplace, cellar, et cetera; in other words, it assumes you DON'T live in a one-room apartment). I didn't take much away from this that I could actually use.
Michelle
Generally I think this book is helpful. I feel like Scott Cunningham books tend to only skim the surface (which upsets me a little, as I feel he has more to offer than that). If you want to "witch-up" your house though, this book contains valuable charms, and lore (which I found the most fascinating).
Rey Walker
Dec 16, 2012 Rey Walker rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I enjoyed the historical information of some superstitions and actions I've heard about but did not know where/how they originated. For example, my grandmother kept a horseshoe above the door because she said it was lucky. I have done the same but never knew why it's considered lucky. Know I do.
Tasneem
Jan 23, 2012 Tasneem rated it it was ok
Shelves: pagan-new-age
This is an interesting book, but only focused on American/European folk magic. I find it lacking in research, nothing is said of the near or far east, of Indian mystyism for example. So, its a fairly okay beginner's guide, but if you are interested in world magic, this is not the text to turn to.
Samantha
Jun 03, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Seems like a book which dedicates a chapter with some highlights of (and reference to) other Cunningham books. Perhaps more interesting if you haven't read most of them already, and it does give a few insights, but it probably won't be in my collection any time soon.
Ivon
Nov 19, 2008 Ivon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pagans and Wiccans
What a wonderful reference book for any Pagan home. When I began to learn Wicca, this book became a staple in my house. It had many things to immediately do to improve the spiritual quality of my house. I went to it often to enhance or reinforce things already done.
Lynda
Jun 26, 2009 Lynda rated it liked it
It was interesting. I read this years ago, but I still have small bowls of rose quartzes and obsideon around my apartment. I still burn sage about once a week. Usually after flooring washing because I can't stand the smell of cleaning fluids.

Alexia
Aug 06, 2015 Alexia rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book! Very helpful for a Kitchen Witch and to anyone who wants to add some magical practice in their daily life around the house! Also a fantastic guide to protecting, cleansing and making a house a Witch's place :)
Leannear24
Apr 27, 2012 Leannear24 rated it liked it
Shelves: wicca
this is an okay book
it is full of usefull information that you can use in your home
some of the things that were mentioned i was not too sure about but thats just me
otherwise it was very good
Preference 1 10 Apr 07, 2008 04:14PM
The Covers 1 8 Apr 07, 2008 02:51PM
  • Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home
  • Everyday Magic: Spells & Rituals for Modern Living
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
  • Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions
  • The Real Witches' Garden
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi
More about Scott Cunningham...