Bully (Fall Away, #1)

Bully (Fall Away #1)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  35,064 ratings  ·  3,401 reviews
My name is Tate. He doesn't call me that, though. He would never refer to me so informally, if he referred to me at all.

We're neighbors, and once, we were best friends. But then, one summer, he turned on me and has made it his mission to screw up my life at every opportunity. I've been humiliated, shut out, and gossiped about all through high school. His pranks and rumors...more
Published June 17th 2013 by Penelope Douglas

To ask other readers questions about Bully, please sign up.

imtiaz Ahmad hi Aly Reyes
i am new here and i can't get to read books here so
i don't know what reason is behind could you tell me please
Real by Katy EvansDriven by K. BrombergCollide by Gail McHughBully by Penelope DouglasBeg by C.D. Reiss
Romance Debuts 2013
4th out of 404 books — 3,612 voters
Obsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutDivergent by Veronica RothHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickPerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best boy hates girl then loves her books
7th out of 289 books — 1,498 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

I am conducting what I'm shelving as a "New Adult (NA) Experiment". I'm going to work my way through some of the popular New Adult books and see if I can weed out the crap and hopefully find some surprising gems. Here's hoping!

Dear book,

I was ready to like this book. I was ready to be forgiving of the small negatives. I was ready to make excuses for it, try and justify the bad and pretend the good overshadowed it. I don't even remember the last time I wanted to like a book this much. Despite wha...more
Lisa

4.5 Stars

description

There is a fine line between love and hate, right? We always hurt the ones we love the most. We lash out, confront them, say harsh words, punish.....all for what? To hide ourselves? To protect ourselves? For what? What happens when we can’t hurt the ones who hurt you? Turn to others to let it all go? Punish others for someone else’s mistakes?

Jared Trent:

Tatum Brandt:

description

Jared and Tatum were once best friends. They once were everything to one another. Then, for...more
Aestas Book Blog

Bully was a wonderfully addictive read that kept my heart racing from start to finish. I could not put it down! 5 stars!!

He loves me... He loves me not... He loves me... He loves me not...

Jared and Tate grew up next door to each other. Jared was sweet, generous and friendly and they were the best and closest of friends. But not anymore. The kid who had held her hand through the pain of losing her mother, who had climbed trees with her, and who had snuck over for sleepovers was gone and now he s...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
3 Stars – I have very mixed emotions about this book.

While I liked this book for the most and was captivated by the author's realistic portrayal of bullying, I must admit, this book left me with mixed feeling.

Bullying is a real-life problem and I felt the author did a great job showcasing its powerful ability to hurt the human soul while at the same time showing the resilience of the human spirit.

For me, though, this book had some undeniable stumbling blocks. This story was too Young Adult for...more
Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤
3,5 STARS

Yesterday lasts forever.
Until you.

Tate and Jared are neighbours and they were best friends...

description
One summer..Jared turned on Tate!He began to bully her..Spreading vicious rumours,humiliating her..Time passed and things get worst..

“What was worse than losing you was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home.”

description

Tate comes back for her senior from France..But coming home she's tired of being a...more
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-43.jpg
____________________________________________

“I like storms. Thunder, torrential rain, puddles, wet shoes. When the clouds roll in, I get filled with this giddy expectation. Everything is more beautiful in the rain. Don’t ask me why. But it’s like this whole other realm of opportunity. I used to feel like a superhero, riding my bike over the dangerously slick roads, or maybe an Olympic athlete enduring rough trials to make it to the finish line.”
____________________________________________

photo 51b11d65bb8bb46eeedf86cfb384eac8.jpg

Thi...more
Christy
4.5 Crazy good stars!!!!!
 photo 675d5263-c07e-436f-b425-ff16c4af2841_zpsa257d1c3.jpg

For her whole high school career, Tate has been bullied. By one person in particular... Jared. Jared is Tate’s neighbor and used to be Tate’s best friend, but now, he isn’t. He is just someone who enjoys making her life hell.

photo 340a1bbb-32fd-4f26-bc86-93220a3f4f3b_zpsbac637a2.jpg
I had loved Jared once, but now I knew, without a doubt, that ‘my Jared’ was gone.
The worst part about it? The summer before their freshman year of highschool, Jared went to stay with his dad. When he came home, he was different. He wanted nothin...more
Lisa Jayne
4 FALLING IN LOVE STARS.

"I want to touch you, I want to feel what's mine. What's always been mine."

What's it all about?
Two former friends Jared Trent and Tate Brandt now find themselves as mortal enemies. After years of being inseparable the duo find themselves in the ultimate love/hate relationship. Tate has suffered for years at the hands of Jared's constant taunting and pranks so after a year away in Europe Tate returns toShelburne falls high school determined to be stronger.In a standoff be...more
Jen
”You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

For 3 years Jared has been making Tate’s life a living hell. He taunts her at every turn, makes up nasty stories about her and threatens any guy that even tries to get close to her. The kicker? Tate and Jared were once the best of friends...more
♥~♥Geri ~ the HEA junkie ♥~♥
4.5 surprising stars

Wow! This book really took me by surprise. I haven't read YA in a while but this was a freebie on Amazon right now, so I one-clicked it. I was intrigued by the premise and at the same time cautious because the bullying thing might be too much for me to handle. But I ended up really, really liking it.

What I liked

- I loved the writing. It has great dialogue and really well developed characters. The story didn't lag. There were no wasted dialogue or purple prose which seems to...more
Mo
This is how bullies are made

This one was all over my feeds a few months ago but I think I had been burned by jumping in and reading a FIVE star book that turned out to be only OK for me. So I decided to wait a while before starting this one. Was it good? Yes, it was. I am now 48 = when I started it I sort of said, Maura, do you really want to be reading books about kids who are younger than your son and THIRTY YEARS younger than you??? Not really, but went for it.

This is how bullies are made

Smitten's Book Blog

Squeeeeeee!!! Freakin' awesome!

I absolutely love love loved this book. This is the definition of a hate-to-love story and it totally rocked. I could not put it down.

I was really craving a book that would make me stop everything I was supposed to be doing and devour every word... and that's exactly what Bully did!

I'd heard the hype about this book and seen lots of my book buddies giving it great reviews and five stars, so I knew I had to give a shot asap. And I'm...more
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie

This is how bullies are made.

With a love for cars, racing and rainy days, Tate and Jared were inseparable. They were the perfect picture of friendship. And when Jared comes back from a summer with his father Tate expects everything to be like it was.
She was wrong.
Her sweet best friend is now gone and in place is a cruel version of him. A bully. And his target? Her.
Fortunately she gets the chance to study in France her junior year, the only problem is that in a year, she’ll have to come back...more
Rose
Initial thoughts: Not worth the time taken to read. I honestly thought it would be a better read than it actually was - it wasn't terrible in the beginning, but at the same time, as it went on, it glorifies and romanticizes bullying to no end. I have a lot of words to say about this and I'll try to be as constructive as I can about what went wrong with this read after I meditate a bit over it.

Full review:

This is a difficult review for me to write, but I'm going to start this reflection with a fe...more
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo DouglasBullyTitlebySueBee_zps7ec4472a.jpg
 photo tumblr_mj90nm1buO1rdw96to1_500_zpsac62760f.gif
★★★★! Bully, a debut by Penelope Douglas. Broken, jaded & sexy high school senior deals with the aftermath of having bullied a girl he can’t forget!

“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

As the title would indicate this story is about bullying. And as irked and disguste...more
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK!!

It was soooo good that I was hooked to it the entire day!!

Its quite refreshing to read a book where the heroine isn't annoying or weak.
I can quite honestly say that I loved it all!

Tate is a 17year old girl who was being bulled in school- but not by just anyone- by someone she used to call her best friend- Jared.

"His chocolate eyes glowed with confidence and mischief."
"I loved that
His toned arms and chest just made me wonder what his skin felt like.
I loved that.
He made me f
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

♥♥♥ 4 STARS ♥♥♥

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Tatum Brandt use to have a really close best friend when she was a child, her neighbor, Jared Trent. They were inseperable. But one day, when he returns from a trip during the summer, he comes back changed. She no longer sees the boy she loved in him. Instead, he becomes her bully. Years of pranks and rumours take a toll on her. And when she returns from being away for a year in France, she knows things need to c...more
Daisy
At 50% of this book, I was wanting to

photo tumblr_moqs8bFKiw1s9jeaxo1_500.gif

By the end I came to end I was

photo tumblr_mopde07bZ11qifjejo1_500.gif

and at the same time, I was

photo tumblr_m6eahcLQNr1ru6dkno1_500.gif

BULLY hooked me from page one, and it felt almost like a night-time teen drama. The story has a bit of everything. It was just enough angst-filled drama for me. I felt I was in deep enough but not too deep, and I liked the pacing of it, too.

photo tumblr_mkv1nc5O0Q1rijbg1o1_500.gif

And yes, this hero is mean to the heroine, but he does redeem himself for me.

photo tumblr_mqybcbdvd01rqvcn3o1_500.jpg

Well written, loved the characters, the plot kept me turning the page, I adore...more
Catarina
This is how bullies are made.

For years and years Tate and Jared were best friends. They did everything together and were one of the most important people in each other’s lives.
One day, after Jared came back from a vacation, he’s not the same anymore and not only has he pushed Tate out of his life but he also started treating her really bad.
For two years Tate sees her high-school life turning in hell, nobody wants her in their parties, she is the target of mean rumors and mean pranks in a daily...more
Anna
Loved it ! Whoa I inhaled this book. Devoured !!! The writing was so crazy addictive ...... I couldn't stop!! I needed to know WHY ???????

“Yesterday lasts forever.

Until you. "
It's just me Shelly B
Dec 17, 2013 It's just me Shelly B rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to It's just me Shelly B by: Melissa *Pervy Girly*

“You’ve already made me cry countless times.” I raised my middle finger to him slowly, and asked, “Do you know what this is?” I took my middle finger and patted the corner of my eye with it. “It’s me, wiping away the last tear you’ll ever get.”

Wow!

I'll be honest when I started this book I didn't think it would live up to the hype, yea sometimes Im cynical like that.....but I was soooooo WRONG about this one!!! I started reading this book with a sour little expression on my face....thinking to m...more
Mrs Katy Q Mercer ❤️ Loves her Master ❤️
5 Consuming and Surprisingly Good stars!!

There's a fine line between LOVE and HATE isn't there??

photo loveandhate_zpsdb12bade.jpg

Jared and Tate have been friends, close friends for a long time, they live next door to each other and they loved each other. Then one summer Jared went to meet his father and he came back a different person.

He became a Bully

He decided to Be mean, cruel, and Isolate Tate....
 photo stopbullying_zpsfb751fc9.jpg

Definition of a Bully: To use superior strength of influence to intimidate someone, typically to force him or her to do wh...more
Annie Brewer
4.5 stars!

Well fuck, I'm still thinking about Jared. I think I love him. I mean his actions were pretty low at times, but damn, I was conflicted. I HATE bullies. And part of me wanted Tate to throw his ass out and forget him but....another part (bigger, that is) decided that maybe, just maybe I would've done the same thing in her shoes. Were his actions for 3 years justifiable? Probably not, but fuck me, I fell for his shit too. I fell hard for him, finally. I'll admit, I had butterflies when he...more
mark monday
Feb 17, 2014 mark monday marked it as unread-forever
Shelves: romantika
so nice to see the topic of bullying being turned into a romance! that is definitely the way to deal with bullies. they just need hugs and kisses and your virginity! poor misunderstood bullies. Jared the manly wittle bully with daddy issues just needs to be wuved by someone. bullies just pick on you because they are secretly in love with you. why even bring up the idea that bullying can cause kids to kill themselves. that's not romantic, yuck!

in the words of one of our top reviewers:

"This may ma...more
Lucia
My Tate and Jared:

Jared who used to be Tate's best friend, is now cruel and intimidating bully who makes her life really unpleasant. Tate decides to go study abroad for a year to escape this life and comes back as different person, ready to finally stand up for herself. What it takes for victim to become bully? And what about this weird connection and attraction she still feels towards Jared?

Bully was very addictive story from the very beginning. It was clear from the very beginning that Jared w...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Gah, another tough one to review. I don't understand quite a few things that occurred. Really. And I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. A lot of this just didn't make any logical sense.

Jared and Tate used to be besties. The summer of their 14th year, Jared goes to stay with his father for a few weeks and comes home different. Now he hates Tate. When the book begins, they're both 16, and Jared has spent two years bullying Tate. He's also enlisted the help of his friend, Madoc. No one r...more
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
4.5 "I-still-dont-want-to-like-him" stars

geez. This was a exercise in self control for me. I wanted to throw things I hated Jared so much.

Jared and Tate were best friends. The kind of best friend you expect to keep forever. The kind of best friend that helps you when you survive when your mom dies. The kind of best friend who makes the whole world right just being by your side.

Then one day, Jared goes away for the summer, and he comes back changed. And Tate's best friend turns into her torment...more
Mariℓina
Loved it!
Yes after a big drought a 5-Star book.

What a great surprise it was!
The book starts right before Tate leaves for France and Jared plays the last prank on her.. With the help of Madoc of course..
They humiliate her but it's not the first time that happens..
But is the first time she fights back..

After she comes back though things will change drastically..
She will not tollerate all the hatred Jared has in store for her..
Not anymore..

And fight she does.. She even makes her bully's life diff...more
Marina
Now this was refreshing. And that says something considering that the theme has been a sore point that will probably never be dead and gone.

So when I started reading the introductory chapter, I was struck by how well-structured and at the same time completely scattered Tate's feelings were, over that one person. Everything you need to know about her experience is included in one perfect incident while she makes her fantastic exit.

But let's face it, what really makes this book "good" is Tate's co...more
Ana Rita
4 'FUN.FUN.FUN' STARS

'Bully' was a really pleasant surprise. I really liked the story and the characters, especially the female character, she's not weak,doesn't care for nonsense and got spunk- a Metal chick (how cool is that!?).

The plot is very well developed, entertaining and engaging, I could not put this book down - didn't see that one coming and I love when that happens! Oh and all that ANGST... there are some major OMG.WTF moments in the story that will surprise you and will leave you w

Does anyone know any books that are similar to this one? 12 76 Aug 31, 2014 07:10PM
K.C. 47 299 Aug 28, 2014 10:57AM
Is there any books similar to this? 21 919 Aug 19, 2014 09:10AM
The Challenge Fac...: Kristin & Vicci Audio Nerd - Bully 94 14 Aug 14, 2014 11:01PM
Jerk Hero / Cat&Mouse / YA Romance 4 117 Jun 30, 2014 01:03PM
Jared's Reasoning 4 158 May 10, 2014 10:37AM
Never Too Old For...: April Book of the Month (ONE WORD TITLES): Bully 6 38 Apr 24, 2014 04:52AM
  • Price of a Kiss (Forbidden Men, #1)
  • Present Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • Broken and Screwed 2 (BS, #2)
  • Addicted for Now (Addicted, #2)
  • Going Under
  • Sweet Home (Sweet Home, #1)
  • More Than This (More, #1)
  • Shine Not Burn (Shine Not Burn, #1)
  • Josh & Hannah (Redwood Falls, #1)
  • Eversea (Eversea, #1)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness, #2)
  • Ruin (Ruin, #1)
  • The Dark Light of Day
  • Left Drowning
  • Tall, Tatted and Tempting (The Reed Brothers, #1)
  • Before Now (Sometimes Never, #2)
  • Beware of Bad Boy (Beware of Bad Boy #1)
  • Beautiful Broken Rules (Broken, #1)
Penelope Douglas is a writer living in Las Vegas with her husband and daughter. She is the author of the New York Times and USA Today Bestsellers BULLY and UNTIL YOU. Look for the next book in the series, RIVAL, coming August 26, 2014.

Stalk Penelope:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PenelopeDoug...

Twitter: @PenDouglas

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Pinterest: http://www.pinter...more
More about Penelope Douglas...
Until You (Fall Away, #1.5) Rival (Fall Away, #2) Falling Away (Fall Away, #3) Corrupt

“Yesterday lasts forever.
Until you”
399 likes
“I like storms. Thunder torrential rain, puddles, wet shoes. When the clouds roll in, I get filled with this giddy expectation. Everything is more beautiful in the rain. Don't ask me why. But it’s like this whole other realm of opportunity. I used to feel like a superhero, riding my bike over the dangerously slick roads, or maybe an Olympic athlete enduring rough trials to make it to the finish line. On sunny days, as a girl, I could still wake up to that thrilled feeling. You made me giddy with expectation, just like a symphonic rainstorm. You were a tempest in the sun, the thunder in a boring, cloudless sky. I remember I’d shovel in my breakfast as fast as I could, so I could go knock on your door. We’d play all day, only coming back for food and sleep. We played hide and seek, you’d push me on the swing, or we’d climb trees. Being your sidekick gave me a sense of home again. You see, when I was ten, my mom died. She had cancer, and I lost her before I really knew her. My world felt so insecure, and I was scared. You were the person that turned things right again. With you, I became courageous and free. It was like the part of me that died with my mom came back when I met you, and I didn’t hurt if I knew I had you. Then one day, out of the blue, I lost you, too. The hurt returned, and I felt sick when I saw you hating me. My rainstorm was gone, and you became cruel. There was no explanation. You were just gone. And my heart was ripped open. I missed you. I missed my mom. What was worse than losing you, was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home. Everything still hurts, but I know none of it is my fault. There are a lot of words that I could use to describe you, but the only one that includes sad, angry, miserable, and pitiful is “coward.” I a year, I’ll be gone, and you’ll be nothing but some washout whose height of existence was in high school. You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.” 395 likes