Start by marking “Thinking Differently: An Inspiring Guide for Parents of Children with Learning Disabilities” as Want to Read:

An innovative, comprehensive guide—the first of its kind—to help parents understand and accept learning disabilities in their children, offering tips and strategies for successfully advocating on their behalf and helping them become their own best advocates.

In Thinking Differently, David Flink, the leader of Eye to Eye—a national mentoring program for students with learnin
Published August 26th 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Differently, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Differently

Liz
Oct 19, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
I think the most important chapter in this book that I walked away with the most is Chapter 8: Become an Advocate. "We need to encourage these kids to believe in themselves because if they are taught to, they will."
Chapter 7: Find Your Allies also talks about some important concepts. Being able to find people who support you or your child throughout the school years and teaching your child to be their own advocate are so important.

It is so important for kids with dyslexia to find something they
Kim
Aug 31, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
David Flink, a masterful storyteller, shares his stories as well as stories from the work of his life-changing organization, Eye to Eye. This clear, engaging book should be read by and shared with every parent who has and educator who works with a child (or children) who learns differently - in other words, is challenged by the traditional classroom environment. While this includes children who have been identified with learning disabilities, clearly there are many more young people who don't ...more
Holly
Sep 23, 2015 Holly rated it it was amazing
Informative, helpful, encouraging. The author writes from his own experience with ADHD and dyslexia. I recommend it for anyone who interacts with and cares for children with ADHD/learning disabilities.
Leah
Nov 08, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it
An inspiring book that offers encouragement to parents with children whose brains work differently. I enjoyed the authors voice and his honesty about his struggles and how he overcame them.
Christine
Sep 01, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
Fabulous stories and advice from David Flink on how to parent and support children with learning differences plus how to help our children become self-advocates
Jenni Frencham
Jan 08, 2015 Jenni Frencham rated it it was ok
Flink, David. Thinking Differently: An Inspiring Guide for Parents of Children with Learning Disabilities. William-Morrow, 2014.

This book, written by a person with both a learning disability and ADHD, is meant to be a guide to help parents who have recently learned that their child has ADHD and a learning disability. Sprinkled sparingly with personal-interest stories, this book provides tips and hope to parents who want to help their kids succeed.

I didn't find this book to be useful at all, unfo
Tiffany Jenkins
Dec 20, 2014 Tiffany Jenkins rated it it was amazing
A great voice for student with Dyslxia or ADHD. I hope teachers will read and get a since of how our students feel as the navigate through the education system. Will be on my son's reading list for the spring semester. Great advice and encourages parents and students while sharing his story is

I can only dream that my son could participate in Eye to Eye. Hope one of our Oklahoma universites will step up to the plate.
Jlither
Apr 10, 2015 Jlither rated it liked it
I will keep this as a reference... but it wasn't for me. I've read quite a few LD books that had a more human touch... Each to his own cup of tea.
WCU Special Education
WCU Main Collection, 4th Floor
Call Number: 371.9 F622
Link to catalog record: http://pilot.passhe.edu:8022/cgi-bin/...
Barb
May 12, 2015 Barb rated it it was amazing
Easy to read non-fiction. Read every chapter, every page. It was good. I am adding it to my "To-buy" list.
LeaAnn
Though it contained some helpful tips for parents, I wouldn't call it a guide. It was more about the author's personal story and his organization than practical help for parents.
Carol Crosier
Carol Crosier rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Sarah Simmons
Sarah Simmons rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Cynthia Judkins
Cynthia Judkins rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Blake Anneberg
Blake Anneberg rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Kcthinker
Kcthinker rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Brooke Harrell
Sep 14, 2015 Brooke Harrell rated it liked it
I'd give this 3.5 stars if I could. There were a few good tips for ALL types of learners.
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Aug 01, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
helpful guide for parents advocating for their children in public & private schools
Amorgan
Amorgan rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Heather Tober
Heather Tober rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
William Morrow
William Morrow rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Laurel Collier
Laurel Collier rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016