Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Just My Luck!” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Just My Luck!

Fancy Nancy: Just My Luck!

Learn all about luck with Fancy Nancy in New York Times bestselling team Jane O'Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser's beginning reader Fancy Nancy: Just My Luck! This Level One I Can Read book is perfect for children learning to sound out words and sentences. When Nancy discovers there's a whole list of what's lucky and what's not, her mind starts spinning. There are so many t ...more
Published 2014 by HarperCollins (first published December 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Carrie
Jan 02, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginning-reader
Just My Luck introduces "fancy words" in this beginning reader. The illustrations are as whimsical and fancy as the picture books, so it should be a hit with fans of the books who are learning to read.
Rita M
Aug 11, 2016 Rita M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
3 & 4 year old grand-daughters liked it. I was at first apprehensive about the topic - not wanting them to be superstitious. It ended well and alleviated my fears!
Isabella Woodard
Feb 10, 2014 Isabella Woodard rated it it was amazing
I really liked the pictures and the whole story.
Stacie
Nov 05, 2016 Stacie rated it liked it
Fancy Nancy learns about superstition and what bad luck looks like. Love the fancy words.
Shelley
Summary:
Fancy Nancy is caught up in avoiding bad luck. When Fancy Nancy is caught stepping on a crack in the sidewalk by Grace, Grace informs Nancy about all of the different ways to get bad luck. Now Nancy is paranoid with fear of bad luck and tries to avoid stepping on every crack, staying away from mirrors, and what will she ever do if a black cat crosses her path? All of this stress is tiring? Will Fancy Nancy always be so unlucky or will things turn around?
My Rating:
Rationale:
Once
Caryn Caldwell
May 09, 2014 Caryn Caldwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
When a classmate brings in a four-leaf clover for show-and-share, Nancy learns that some people believe objects can bring good luck. Mean girl Grace further enlightens her with tales of the bad luck caused by black cats, spilled salt, cracks in the sidewalk, open umbrellas, and the number thirteen. Afterward, Nancy becomes terrified of accidentally bringing on a wave of terrible luck. But, with help from her teacher Ms. Glass, she learns that luck has more to do with people's choices than with ...more
Sarah Adamson
A nice early reader featuring Fancy Nancy. I am always in two minds about these books - this one explains all the things that can bring you good luck or bad luck and then the teacher tells Nancy that it's all made up. It ends with a bad luck black cat being good luck so is meant to be a nice exploration of superstitions but what a difficult topic to explore for early readers!!
T.
Aug 19, 2014 T. marked it as to-read
Seeing a 4-leaf clover @ a show-&-share, Fancy Nancy becomes superstitious & goes overboard trying to keep track of everything that is lucky & unlucky before deciding to settle on what she truly believes.

When Fancy Nancy's friend brings a 4-leaf clover to show-&-share, Nancy becomes fascinated by luck--good & bad!

Nanci Booher
Aug 11, 2016 Nanci Booher rated it really liked it
I liked this story alot. Nancy feels like there are so many things to remember that are "bad luck" she gets overwhelmed. Fortunately Mrs. Glass, her teacher, has a talk with her and Nancy stops worrying about all the bad things she was keeping track of.
Alice
May 16, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Fancy Nancy is great but these early readers are good but not like the regular books. They are still great and you can learn a lot of fantastic words, but just can't rate it very high! Still worth reading!
jacky
Aug 26, 2014 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, early-reader
I liked the topic for this one. Superstitions are something we don't much think about as adults, but they can be fascinating and overwhelming for children when they first learn about them.
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Jennifer Rummel
Jennifer Rummel rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
MAReK
MAReK rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Ingrid Ciaston
Ingrid Ciaston rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Beck
Beck rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
K. Davis
K. Davis rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Elke Erickson
Elke Erickson rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Ckolleen
Ckolleen rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Aisha
Aisha rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Hopie
Hopie rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Danielle J.
Danielle J. rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Dahiana
Dahiana rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Cristi
Cristi rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Amelia Bedelia Hits the Trail
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog: Where's the Bacon?
  • The Pinkerrific Playdate
  • Diary of a Worm: Teacher's Pet (I Can Read!, Level 1)
  • The Berenstain Bears at the Aquarium
  • Biscuit Loves the Library
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete
  • Splat the Cat with a Bang and a Clang
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • The Lego Movie: Awesome Adventures (DK Readers)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Drop the Ball
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Dixie
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • Oscar Otter
  • Morris the Moose
  • Oliver
  • Winter on the Farm
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...