Start by marking “Her Death of Cold (Father Dowling, #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Death of Cold (Father Dowling, #1)

Her Death of Cold (Father Dowling #1)

Published December 31st 1977 by Vanguard Press

To ask other readers questions about Her Death of Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Death of Cold

Judy
Sep 01, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
I just happened to be in the library when this book was removed from their collection. When I realized that it was the first Father Dowling mystery, I gladly offered to take it off their hands. Father Dowling is now to the parish of St. Hilary's in Fox River, Illinois. In fact, this is his first parish because he had worked for years on the Archdiocesan Marriage Court. An elderly woman in his parish calls Father Dowling in the middle of the night saying that she is thinks that she is going to be ...more
Almeta
Feb 05, 2011 Almeta rated it liked it
Shelves: dying2read
Although the dustcover shows a silhouette of a slim pipe-smoking character (think Bing Crosby) and the very brief description of him as of a tall man with the slight stoop that tall people adopt---I can not get Tom Bosley out of my head. (or Mary Wickes as the cook for that matter.) Not important.

To me, there was a noticeable, change in writing style in a couple of places. It was as if a light story was being told and then suddenly a philosophical point that had crystallized in the author’s mind
Aug 29, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
For a book originally published in 1977 about a Catholic priest, it has aged remarkably well. I sought out this book in the library after thinking about Tom Bosley, who played Father Dowling in the television series. Chapters that you thought were throw aways were intelligently tied in by the conclusion. As this was the first entry into the Father Dowling series, I look forward to reading the rest.

*Spoiler Below*

The only thing that might not have stood up is the value of the lost money. However,
Emmy
May 08, 2015 Emmy rated it really liked it
An interesting mystery that kept my attention until the end. I liked the detective was a priest, and that the story focused just as much on the saving of souls as it on the serving of justice. As a Catholic, I thought it brought together the bigger picture very nicely. At the same time, I think this is something secular readers can enjoy, too. While most of the main cast were Catholic, it was not unbearably religious, but just the right amount of everything. I kept forgetting that it took place ...more
Jane
Aug 26, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
My first read of a Father Dowling mystery. Will definitely read some more. Sylvia is an elderly member of Father Dowling's parish who is afraid for her life. She tells Father Dowling she is afraid of her children.
Then one day she disappears. Father Dowling doesn't really set out to help the police. He's more worried about the soul of her murderer than seeing earthly justice prevail.
Good plot, sort of madcap plot. Enjoy it!
Vincent
Jul 18, 2010 Vincent rated it it was ok
I started this book as as "escapist" book as I found it in the library and it seems the beginning of a long series of books.
I had in past used escapists like the Clancy books on Ryan and the Parker books on Spenser (did not get thru all of them) and Father Dowling, maybe because of the less contemporary time, in the 1970s - did not do it for me - so I have no escapist series for now and I will not recommend this book - it is OK but to my mind there are better books to read
Kay
Apr 18, 2008 Kay rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Although the author, Ralph McInerny, made his mark with his novels, this was his first mystery. I would have liked to have had the main character, Father Roger Dowling, fleshed out more. I would also have liked to have had the story shortened by about 100 pages. The guilty party was so easy to detect that even I recognized "who dunit" very soon into the book.
Samantha Nowatzke
Dec 18, 2013 Samantha Nowatzke rated it liked it
Good book but it's hard to beat Tom Bosley playing Father Dowling on the TV series and Sister Stephanie as his counterpart. Not a bad introduction to the series though... interested to see how the characters develop.
joyce lynn
Aug 25, 2008 joyce lynn rated it liked it
interesting writing style.

not the first book of this author's i've read, but the first of this series. it's NOT quite like the old TV series i remember.

good, but a bit confusing at times. caught my interest enough, tho, that i WILL look for the other books in the series to give them a try
Eric
Apr 09, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
Not bad for a first mystery novel. Even though I figured out the twist several chapters ahead, the critical part for McInerny is too reflect on the moral meaning. Plus, I appreciated the key role of sacramental confession in the story.
Joseph Richardson
Sep 13, 2013 Joseph Richardson rated it really liked it
A good murder mystery, and best of all rich with Catholic life and sacraments and morality! Orthodox, edifying, and exciting.
Trudy Pomerantz
Nov 10, 2014 Trudy Pomerantz rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was not a bad read. While none of the characters particularly grabbed me, nor did the plot, the writer was competent and I did not cringe as I read.
Beka
Jul 11, 2014 Beka rated it it was ok
Not quite what I was expecting. I don't think I'll continue with this series. The mystery was only ok, and I didn't really like the characters.
Fredrick Danysh
Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Deidre
Deidre rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2009
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2009
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Joe Reed
Joe Reed rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Patricia Mccammon
Patricia Mccammon rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Molleo
Molleo rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Faith
Faith rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Marian Mertes
Marian Mertes rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2007
Leah
Leah rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Malice in the Highlands (Erskine Powell, #1)
  • A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1)
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court 5
  • The Rosary Murders (Father Koesler, #1)
  • Return of the Thin Man
  • Evernote for Dummies
  • Happy Are the Meek (Blackie Ryan, #1)
  • Why Things Break: Understanding the World By the Way It Comes Apart
  • How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents
  • The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2
  • Yellow Dirt: An American Story of a Poisoned Land and a People Betrayed
  • The Monarch of the Glen
  • Monday the Rabbi Took Off
  • A Corpse in the Koryo (Inspector O, #1)
  • American Project: The Rise and Fall of a Modern Ghetto
  • The Undead: Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating Heart Cadavers--How Medicine Is Blurring the Line Between Life and Death
  • Murder by the Book (Nero Wolfe, #19)
  • Called to Life
Ralph Matthew McInerny was an American Catholic religious scholar and fiction writer, including mysteries and science fiction. Some of his fiction has appeared under the pseudonyms of Harry Austin, Matthew FitzRalph, Ernan Mackey, Edward Mackin, and Monica Quill. As a mystery writer he is best known as the creator of Father Dowling. He was Professor of Philosophy, Director of the Jacques Maritain ...more
More about Ralph McInerny...

Father Dowling (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Bishop as Pawn (Father Dowling, #2)
  • The Seventh Station (Father Dowling, #3)
  • Lying Three (Father Dowling, #4)
  • Second Vespers (Father Dowling, #5)
  • Thicker Than Water (Father Dowling, #6)
  • A Loss of Patients (Father Dowling, #7)
  • The Grass Widow (Father Dowling, #8)
  • Getting a Way with Murder (Father Dowling, #9)
  • Rest in Pieces (Father Dowling, #10)
  • The Basket Case (Father Dowling, #11)