Start by marking “The Case of the Screaming Woman” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Screaming Woman

The Case of the Screaming Woman (Perry Mason #52)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Accepting John Kirby's wife's fearful request for legal assistance, Perry Mason discovers that Kirby may have been at the scene of a murder and uncovers an secret operation involving illegal adoption, stolen narcotics, and blackmail. Reprint.
Mass Market Paperback, 182 pages
Published October 31st 1994 by Fawcett (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Screaming Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Screaming Woman

Donna
This Perry Mason mystery concerns a doctor who was operating a baby mill...one hospital for women who did not want their expected babies, one hospital for women who could receive original birth certificates for these babies and avoid adoption proceedings.
Samantha
Apr 17, 2009 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Perry Mason fans
Recommended to Samantha by: my sister
Goody goody! I sunk my teeth into this one, and loved every bite! Not boring, not a put-you-to-sleep book.
Hint: Don't read it at night... you'll find it hard to fall asleep later.
Victoria Mixon
I put off reading this one because I didn't want to accidentally leave it lying around the house and have to explain to my impressionable young son why a screaming woman is considered literary entertainment. But the sheer cheapo cheesiness of the cover finally got to me. Even some of the pages are printed crooked! I love that kind of retro stuff.

Yeah, I picked the likely culprit out early on, and I even picked up on the echo, although I was also kind of willing to go to bat for an interesting re
Giri Dv
Typical Perry Mason book. Good for bedside reading and then getting to sleep. As usual, complicated story telling. Even then, you feel good to see Perry Mason winning and Hamilton Burger losing, whether you understood what happened really.

The handyman's motive not very convincing. Could he not have stolen the book earlier?

Somehow, you want to read Perry Mason even though the story is often muddled.
Evelyn
A Perry Mason mystery written later in the series when the stories were being dramatized and shown on television. This one is more according to formula and features thinner characterizations and plotlines than some of the earlier books in the series. Nevertheless, it is an enjoyable read, although not as much fun as the stories from the 1940s.
Kathy
1. Don't lie to your lawyer.
2. Don't try to fool your lawyer.
3. Don't assume you know more about the law than your lawyer.
4. Lawyer: Don't let your secretary take possession of stolen goods, it can really freak her out.
5. Lawyer: You are sneaky at times.
6. I seriously didn't see that end coming.
Rijo John
Good mystery and nice way on how perry mason solves!
Dolly
Sep 09, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: 2009, mystery, other-usa
I've never read a Perry Mason book before and have heard great things about Erle Stanley Gardner's prowess in the realm of the mystery genre. I found this book on the paperback book swap shelf and thought I'd check it out.

It was an interesting tale, purely pulp fiction, but a quick read and decent brain candy. I love mysteries and would love to read more of his work.
Lorilee
This was a good one too. Interesting twists.
Doug Dams
In this story a motorist tries to help a woman get to the next gas station, only to discover she has no car and a day later she's the suspect in a murder. It's interesting as Perry starts out protecting the motorist against accomplice to murder charges to defending the stranded woman. The victim and his neighbors make up a set of interesting characters.
Vibin Varghese
As a first time reader of "Perry Mason" series I think I picked up the wrong book. I felt the title catchy and so picked up the book. I expected a lot and ended up longing that the 'suspense part' could have been better.

Though I didn't love the book entirely, the conversations in the court was interesting.
Rebekah
It's my third Perry Mason book and so far, it's the first of them that I correctly suspected the murderer.

Nonetheless, I always love the explanation part and see how everything falls in together. Although its quite confusing with all the different rooms but it was a quick and entertaining read.
George
Perry Mason mystery in which the lawyer manages to win another case. In this one, his client is suspected of murder and, as usual, gets his client acquitted while also solving the case. A lot of slight of hand and pulling together various witness accounts by Mason.
Heather (DeathByBook)
Not a life changing read, but good entertainment. Better than a couple of hours of tv...unless you're watching early Perry Mason.
Huma
I loved the court room scene at the end of the novel....I had a big smile on my face throughtout that part.
DavidO
Perry Mason sure gets some bad clients who seem to want to go to jail.
Eric
Another good Mason novel...
Yagnesh
Mar 01, 2013 Yagnesh marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rogier
Rogier added it
Oct 24, 2014
Julita
Julita marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Sonal A
Sonal A is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2014
Apoorva
Apoorva marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Pallavi
Pallavi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • The R Document
  • Savage Interlude
  • The Bored Bridegroom
  • A. R. Rahman: The Spirit Of Music (Free Music Cd)
  • Nuts!
  • Kruimeltje
  • The Donor
  • The Drowning River (Sandro Cellini, #1)
  • Classic Victorian & Edwardian Ghost Stories
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • Wheels for the World: Henry Ford, His Company, and a Century of Progress
  • Leopard in the Snow
  • The Unpublished David Ogilvy
  • Puppets
  • Why I assassinated Mahatma Gandhi
  • Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe, #28)
  • The Roman Hat Mystery
  • The Power of Simplicity

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)