Start by marking “The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)

The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,529 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For a game the gods have given the world twelve Swords of Power, so that they might be amused as the nations go to war for possession of them. But Vulcan Swordmaker has had his little joke: the Swords can kill the gods themselves. What started out as a Divine Jest has become all too serious. Now the gods want their swords back - but even gods must tread most carefully when...more
Paperback
Published February 28th 1985 by Tor Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Book of Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Book of Swords

Wise_owl
Having read this book some time ago, and having more recently read it's predecessor, I don't have a huge amount to say about it. As I believe I mentioned in my review of the First Book of Swords, this series either started, or seriously stoked my slight obsession with collections of objects with powers. Perhaps an obsession probably generated by the fact that while in the Lord of the Rings we know sort of what the one ring does, we never find out, really, what the rest of them do. Why would the...more
Michael Thorn
This one was good. It continues the story of the main characters from the First Book of Swords. It didn't go quite where I thought it was going, and what I considered a diversion at the beginning of the book turned out to be its main focus.

The story is essentially a caper of a dungeon delve, and it had a lot of qualities of a D&D adventure which I enjoyed. The motley crew of adventurers must overcome a series of traps, puzzles, and other obstacles in order to obtain a great treasure though w...more
Charles
Stuff I Read – The Second Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen Review

So as with the First Book of Swords, the Second was another afternoon of reading, a very quick read that kept me interesting and zipping right along while not exactly delving even as deeply into the larger story than the first book. It’s interesting reading this second book, because it deviates so sharply from the fairly standard fantasy story of the first book, shooting forward in time by a number of years and showing the heroes...more
Robert
What a disappointing read. Mind you, it isn't horrible, it's just so bad compared to the first book. Actually it can't be compared to the first in any significant way because this should have been called "The Book Between The Second Book of Swords".

It is almost bereft of any aspects that I could have defined as making The First Book of Swords engaging. Together with the fact that I had trouble pointing to what was significant in that volume and you see my problem.

The book is all about the journe...more
Jeremy Preacher
The Second... remains one of my favorite books ever. It's a heist novel, mostly - it draws characters and some of their larger motivations from The First... but for the most part it's just the story of a well-executed raid on a fabulous dungeon full of more treasure than anyone could reasonably steal. It's vivid, well-paced, and a great deal of fun. Saberhagen provides us with another reasonably strong female character (albeit again only one) who is, quite literally, a self-rescuing princess.

It...more
Julie
I think I enjoyed the second book of swords much more than the first. This book is a single adventure: a dungeon crawl/treasure hunt for a treasure hoard of mythic poportions.

Mark and Ben are the main characters here, again. I really like Ben. He's the everyman who just seems to have all kinds of shit dropped upon him. He seems more well-rounded than Mark, who's purpose is to be mysterious and full of potential. Not to mention broody. Damn does the man ever brood.

It seems that the giant war tha...more
Jeff
My quick re-read as an adult of the Swords trilogy continues.... This one was a real let-down because I loved it when I was 13! Sigh. It is comparable in quality to the previous book (some fun fantasy ideas, mediocre execution).

I wanted to read this book specifically because I was trying to come up with a story idea about a quest for a treasure and I remembered all the traps and tricks surrounding the Blue Temple's treasure being AWESOME. But it didn't really hold up that well to my more critica...more
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
FALSE
Jackie
After the way the last book ended so abruptly, I expected it to continue in this 2nd novel. Instead, what I got was what I considered to be a sidestory, and one I didn't really care about. I wanted to get back to the war, instead I was on a treasure hunt.
I know the books are about the Swords more than any one story, and even in that this failed because it was one Sword throughout most of the book, unlike the first book where a few Swords were in play.
Alex
see first book of swords for my review of the series. Its been a while so I may blunder but I seem to recall there weren't any exceptions to the awesomeness outside of the fact that the first three were a little slower than the rest.
Xeddicus
Really a lack of swords in this story for it being the "Book of Swords", but then they're fairly short I suppose. And I guess it let him right more books focusing on each one, it seems...
Mark Lacy
Nowhere near as good as the first novel; too much like Dungeons & Dragons; actually boring in many places; hard to believe it was written by the same author as The First Book of Swords.
Shannon Appelcline
What had been an epic first book comes crashing down in this book-length dungeon crawl. Only the last two chapters manage to capture the former feel of the series.
Lisa Francis
Sequel to the First Book of Swords. Picks up with the story 5 years later. Well worth the read if you love stories about magical swords!
Justin Salisbury
This is a rather odd fantasy setting, but I really enjoy these books.
Jonathan
Magical swords undo the gods
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Varghees
Varghees marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Michael Albanese
Michael Albanese marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
  • Master of the Five Magics
  • The Silver Warriors (Erekosë, #2)
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)
  • The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1)
  • Conan the Liberator (Book 14)
  • Blood of Amber (Amber Chronicles, #7)
  • Roger Zelazny's Chaos and Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #2)
  • With a Single Spell
  • Shadowspawn
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1)
The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1) Berserker (Berserker, #1) The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3) The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3) The First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story (Lost Swords, #1)