Start by marking “From Lucy to Language: Revised, Updated, and Expanded” as Want to Read:
From Lucy to Language: Revised, Updated, and Expanded

From Lucy to Language: Revised, Updated, and Expanded

In 1974 in a remote region of Ethiopia, Donald Johanson, then one of America's most promising young paleoanthropologists, discovered "Lucy", the oldest, best preserved skeleton of any erect-walking human ever found. This discovery prompted a complete reevaluation of previous evidence for human origins.

In the years since this dramatic discovery Johanson has continued to sco
Published October 17th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about From Lucy to Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Lucy to Language

Holly Lindquist
I really adored this. A coffeetable book on paleoanthropology? It's like a dream come true. And it is gorgeous. David Brill's photographs of the skulls and other fossils have an almost 3-D feel, showing the diverse textures, colors, and patina of each specimen. Some books on early hominids have beautifully constructed artist's renditions of what these individuals might have looked like, this one leaves it to the reader's imagination.

The text is by Donald Johanson, the paleoanthropologist who dis
Alina
Oct 19, 2012 Alina rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This coffee table book does not live up to its extremely intriguing title. About half of it consists of full-page photographs of fossils, with a page of accompanying text for each. I love paleoanthropology, and I realize these fossils are extremely important. But I'm sorry -- to me, one ancient skull looks much like the next. And the accompanying write-ups sometimes include interesting little histories of the fossil's discovery, but more often go into mind-numbing detail about mandibles and cran ...more
Diane
Feb 14, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
Excellent companion to Lucy exhibit at Pacific Science Center, Seattle, 2008-2009. Clear explanations and diagrams in engaging text laying out the issues in paleoanthropology in Part I; and in Part II, the chronicling of hominid finds from 1830 to 2003 with explanations of the evidence and current analysis from professionals in the field. At times the authors disagree with prevailing current analysis, giving their reasoning in a fair-minded, convincing way. Outstanding illustrations throughout.
Ken
Jan 28, 2013 Ken rated it liked it
I checked this book out of the library to look at the actual size photos of the fossils. I plan on drawing a few prior to returning it. The writing is fine, but its a fairly old book. Most of the finds and theories were part of current articles collected into a "reader" for an archaeology class I took in college. In any event, it is interesting to take a quick look at some of the biological bits that support our human-ess -- and how we are the same and different as other species.

Again, though, t
Lisa
Jun 24, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
I didn't succeed at finishing this book, but I will add it to my Christmas list. Johanson is skilled at presenting evolutionary information to lay people. I think he has some blind spots in regards to the completeness of evidence for evolutionary theory, but his presentation of material is exemplary. I have a special affection for Lucy, dating back to college, and I enjoyed catching up with the more current research on her role in human history.
Firas Jabbour
Jul 16, 2014 Firas Jabbour rated it it was amazing
كتاب رائع لتقديم تصور دقيق ومدعم بالصور والمعلومات لكل ما تم اكتشافه من لقى تنتمي إلى العائلة البشرية منذ أنواع الأردي بيتيكوس الباكرة وصولاً إلى الإنسان العاقل الحديث هوموسيابيان يسبقه قسم خاص بالمفاهيم والخطوط العريضة لعلم الأنتروبولوجيا الجيولوجية الحديث..
كتاب رااائع ومرجع هام..

Gisselle Garcia-Pack
Sep 11, 2007 Gisselle Garcia-Pack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone intereted in human evolution
Lots of great, life-sized pictures.
Charles  Clarke
May 24, 2016 Charles Clarke rated it it was amazing
Ultra High Definition Photographs of stunning fossils - Enough Said!
Jose
Feb 24, 2009 Jose rated it really liked it
Shelves: evolution
Informative text, but also a beautiful photographic survey of the hominid fossil record.
Laura Wright
May 22, 2013 Laura Wright rated it it was amazing
This was required reading for my first year Anthropology class and I am thrilled that it was. Very informative and still sits on my shelf, to be pulled out and flipped through occasionally!
Mike de la Flor
Apr 30, 2012 Mike de la Flor rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful portfolio of paleo-anthropological photographs. From Australophithecus to Homo dozens of full size color photographs capture the evidence for human evolution.
James Parker
James Parker rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Wren
Wren rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2008
Cecilia
Cecilia rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2007
SURYO ADI
SURYO ADI rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2017
Robert Kaufman
Robert Kaufman rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012
Karen Bain
Karen Bain rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
sherdnerdess
sherdnerdess rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2008
Derek Walsh
Derek Walsh rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2008
Diana Michele
Diana Michele rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
JAMES L HALL
JAMES L HALL rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2011
Pamela Cunningham
Pamela Cunningham rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Juan Rivera
Juan Rivera rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
Devon Green
Devon Green rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2010
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2011
David
David rated it really liked it
May 20, 2012
  • Peacemaking Among Primates
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Prehistoric Europe
  • Human Osteology
  • Who Owns Antiquity?: Museums and the Battle over Our Ancient Heritage
Donald Carl Johanson is an American paleoanthropologist. He is known for discovering the fossil of a female hominin australopithecine known as "Lucy" in the Afar Triangle region of Hadar, Ethiopia.
More about Donald C. Johanson...