Start by marking “The Lady's Tutor” as Want to Read:
The Lady's Tutor

The Lady's Tutor (The Lady's Tutor #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  2,400 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Married young to a man hand-picked by her father, Elizabeth Petre is an ideal Victorian lady. She has borne two sons and endured sixteen years of selfless duty in a passionless marriage. Craving a man's loving touch yet loyal to her wedding vows, Elizabeth is determined to seduce her coldly indifferent husband. She knows of only one man who can teach her the erotic secrets ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Zebra (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady's Tutor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady's Tutor

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesDark Lover by J.R. WardFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesBared to You by Sylvia Day
Favorite Erotic Romance
72nd out of 2,228 books — 2,462 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
141st out of 2,582 books — 4,923 voters

More lists with this book...

3 to 3 1/ 2 stars

The Lady's Tutor is a well written, thought-provoking, sensual, and well researched book; however, I had a difficult time staying focused and interested in the plot. For some reason, it just didn't capture my attention the way The Lover or Gabriel's Woman did. That said, the sexual tension throughout this story was superbly done. I enjoyed this book but perhaps was not in the mood for its heaviness. I may revisit it again when I'm in a more receptive mood.
This story was excellent! It starts so slowly, just barely giving you enough so that you hold your breath in hope that something will happen between Saphyre and Elizabeth making you turn those pages well past a “reasonable” reading hour.

Everything takes place around the lessons in seduction that delectable Lord Saphyre gives the morally upright Elizabeth but not once in the whole first half of the story does he lay a finger on her. The tutoring is conducted like teacher and pupil and the textboo
Jun 23, 2016 Delos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy buen libro, muy bien escrito. Enganche máximo hasta altas horas de la noche. Lenguaje directo, mordaz, atrevido. Muchas, muchas cosas que me han sorprendido {he tenido que googlear...}
¿Por qué no una mejor puntuación?
No he logrado empatizar como me gustaría con los protagonistas. Me hubiese gustado que me "tocaran" más el corazoncito. Sobre todo él.

Ya podéis leer la reseña:
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Maravillosa novela, no sé qué he hecho yo tanto tiempo sin leerla!!
A veces te encuentras con una novela que no se parece al resto, que es única y especial y te llega especialmente dentro y eso ha sido El tutor para mí.
Está llena de erotismo y de perraquismo y de calores por todos los lados pero con una historia muy dura y, a la vez, muy bonita de fondo. Y escrita de un modo sencillamente sublime, es una pasada lo bien que escribe esta mujer.
Me faltan poner gifs de llamas y de perros arrastrando
I've lowered the star rating from a three to a one since I originally read it. The author uses the ~evil gays~ trope, making all the bad people being men who rape/sexually assault other men and even boys. (I'd tried to be fair when rating and reviewing it originally because I'd enjoyed other parts of it, but eff this BS.)

Previous review: Mar 16/15

Infidelity is pretty much the kill-switch for me in romance novels...unless, of course, there are special or extenuating circumstances or the auth
Jul 20, 2009 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Oh I'm trying deperately to put the words together for a review of how this book made me feel, for something so luscious and evocative I really do need to do it justice, but really don't think I can. I'm late coming to this book and reviewers before me have given details of the plot etc, so I'm not going to repeat what has already been said. What I will say tho' is this book had a profound affect on me..slightly shifted my way of thinking if you like.

This book was perfect for me erotic and sensu
Ramiel the "Bastard Sheikh" sure knows how his way around a lady's body and bed. He was gorgeous attentive and "swoony" too. I found Elizabeth endearing with her sexual innocence. But what a life she had to endure with a "bastard" Edward for a husband. What kind of husband, tells his wife that he finds her repulsive while she tries to seduce him? That to me, was just cruel.

All in all it was a good read and I enjoyed it.
Angelica Juarez Gonzalez
La historia transcurre en Londres de 1886 y trata la historia de Elizabeth, dama de sociedad casada con el candidato a primer ministro, Edward, quien tiene una amante. Motivo por el cual se dirige a Ramiel con el fin de recibir lecciones de como seducir a un hombre. En vista de que su matrimonio va en fracaso y quiere recuperar a su marido.

Después de una partida inicial de la historia que databa de una lectura muy interesante. En El tutor somos introducidos y guiados a través de una narración e
The Lady's Tutor reminded me a little bit of Passion by Lisa Valdez, in in so far as it was able to effectively combine graphic and at times wordy erotic scenes with very satisfying romance, set in an historical era. If you didn't like Passion, then odds are you may not like this one, either.

The premise sounded interesting and unusual - a Victorian lady, trapped in a passionless marriage but unwilling to betray her wedding vows, seeks assistance from the Bastard Sheik to teach her how to pleasur
Jul 21, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
Definitivamente este libro me hizo redefinir el término de novela erótica, climas detallados y narrados de manera sensual, con mucha tensión sexual, desborda erotismo usando solo palabras, sin tocarse ni un pelo los protagonistas hasta más de la mitad de la historia, sin duda es el sexo y erotismo el protagonista principal, aunque me gustó sentí mientras leía un ambiente opresivo, y no fue una sensación agradable. El conflicto fue para mí muy muy muy predecible, lo intuí desde el inicio, sin emb ...more
This book was dreadful! The premise of the story was really interesting, but it turned out to be stupid and boring if you can believe that. It just wasn't done right. It wasn't executed in a way to hold the readers interest. Many of the OTT things that happened read like it was only done for shock value and nothing else, and felt utterly disgusting - and I'm not talking about the erotic love scenes between the hero and heroine. Why did the author have to bring kids into this revolting book? I al ...more
May 04, 2008 L8blmr rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoyed "Passion", probably
I really enjoyed this book. Yes, it was very "clinical" (a description I've read by people hating it for this factor), somewhat like a "how-to" manual ... in the beginning. How else could the author handle a very experienced man teaching a barely experienced woman to seduce and beguile her husband in bed? However, things changed once the H/H began falling in love. And there was actually a well-developed subplot involving peripheral characters that was quite interesting as well. Add to all this a ...more
May 05, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was ridiculous, over the top, and sordid. But I enjoyed it and found it well-written, so no shame, no shame.
Elizabeth Petre feels her marriage is boomed and wants to learn how to "spice" it up. She hires a tutor.

As mentioned in previous reviews it starts off slow. I had mixed feelings about it. I'm not a fan of cheating in romance. But is it cheating if love is not involved? **Shrugs** Anyway, overall it was a good read.
Jul 20, 2013 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of My Most Favorite Historicals

I've just finished rereading this book and guess what? I love it even more than I did the first time I read it. This is one of those books where all the elements just come together to make a near perfect read.

The Lady's Tutor is set in Victorian England when women were expected not to express anything so crass as emotion, good or bad, especially if you were the daughter of the prime minister and the wife of a high-ranking government official. Elizabeth Petre is
Aug 06, 2009 Nisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: intro to erotic romance
This is an odd book to classify. Maybe 'Erotic Historical Romance' would be the best title. I don't know what I was expecting from it when I started reading, but it was definitely a good read. The story was quite intriguing though easy to guess. Intriguing because of the setting, I think. Its a modern day story that takes place in a historical setting. There are the psycho relatives, a hero with a tragic past, a heroine with her own tragic present, savage arabian sex. what more can you ask for?

Carmancita SanMartín
Madree de Dios.....ILOVE YOU Jeque Bastardo; Ramiel eres mi héroe.
Nunca había leido un libro tan sugerente y con tan poco sexo. Muy bien llevada la historia, como se desarrollan los personajes y su relación; me cansa un poco el amor instantáneo que leo en algunos libros.
Si lo piensas detenidamente da miedo como vivían las mujeres de aquella época, y eso que refleja la clase alta; ni pensar cómo vivirían las que no fueran acomodadas. ¡Qué bien vivir en este siglo y en este país!.
Un libro muy mu
Another fantastic read by one of my favorite authors. Loved this romantic, erotic story. A definite keeper!
Lady Wesley
Jan 29, 2012 Lady Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lendable
WARNING: If you want to enjoy the surprises that this book cleverly reveals, don't read the more critical reviews here on Goodreads. There are many which should have spoiler labels but don't.

Elizabeth, a proper Victorian lady, wife of the Chancellor of the Exchequer and daughter of the Prime Minister, hopes to repair her loveless marriage, so she seeks out Ramiel, the infamous Bastard Sheik, to give her instruction on how to please a man. He is the son of an English noblewoman and an Arab sheik
Jan 07, 2008 maricar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, romance
Rarely does a story like this ever stand above its own genre

from the first page to the last, everything is so hot-hot-hot! but beyond the sizzling scenes (and yes, they really DO sizzle...), one can find such a tender emotion coming from Ramiel. it was simply beautiful, no other word for it, to witness how he changed from simply being an instructor on the pleasures of the flesh to becoming the hero of Elizabeth.

Elizabeth is such a compelling woman. Full of complexities and undeniable yet gut-wr
May 17, 2010 Crista rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, historical
First of all, let me say that this is a difficult book to rate and review. There are parts of this book that deserve a 10 star rating in my opinion, but there are also components that left me feeling "dirty" and "horrified" and make me not recommend the book at all. I'll try not to include spoilers for those who will read this book after reading this review.

First the good. As far as sensuality, I've never read anything like this. Surprisingly this comes in the form of CONVERSATION. The couple d
May 18, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
I did not know what to expect from this historical/erotica novel published over 10 years ago, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a lesson in seduction, of the rawest, truest form. For 16 years, Elizabeth has been in an arranged, loveless marriage. She has never experienced a loving, sexual relationship with her husband. While she has two sons, the sexual act to create them was a "wham bam I'm done" in the dark moment and it has been 12 years since her husband has been to her bed. Given Elizabe ...more
Aug 04, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
When you want quality trash, I have learned that Robin Schone is the place to go. A friend of mine lent this to me after I told her I hadn't read any good trashy historical romance in ages, and I was skeptical. I mean, who can keep up with the Mary Jo Putney and Kathleen Woodiwiss love from my youth?

Robin Schone can, baby! For me, I need to have some emotional connection to the characters. I need them to be damaged and broken, and only the power of LOVE (and yes, sex) can fix them (because i'm a
Jan 11, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I discovered Robin Schone by reading some well written reviews almost by accident and was intrigued. Erotica is not a genre that has ever interested me, but having started this novel I became fascinated. This is not a smutty, kinky, shallow tale, but rather a deeply dark, sensual love story with some very serious 'goings on' - this tale is not for the faint hearted.

Elizabeth Petre is a wife and mother, her husband an influential high ranking and ambitious politician. Dutiful and supportive of he
Jess the Romanceaholic
Erotic Romance for Adults

Robin Schone has quickly become one of my favourite romance authors. She writes novels of emotional depth and searing sexuality, with characters who are not perfect in either body or spirit. Yet in every piece of fiction Ms. Schone writes has as its overall theme, the redemptive power of love.

Elizabeth is a woman typical of her era. She's the proper wife of a politician, the daughter of a politician, and the mother of two boys. She should be satisfied with her lot, and
Michelle Kelly
Jul 31, 2010 Michelle Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, 2010-read
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • Broken Wing
  • Sin (Rodesson's Daughters, #1)
  • Taboo (Albright Sisters, #2.5)
  • Anchor and Storm
  • Untie My Heart
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • My Only Love
  • A Wild Night's Bride (The Devil DeVere #1)
  • Beyond Seduction (Beyond Duet, #2)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Savage Desire (Brandon-Morgan #4)
USA Today Bestselling Author Robin Schone is the recipient of the Romantic Times 2008 Career Lifetime Achievement Award for Most Innovative Historical Romances. She is published in thirteen countries, including China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia and Spain. Scandalous Lovers (Kensington Brava 2007) was chosen by RUSQ (Reference & User Services Quarterly, the official journal of the Re ...more
More about Robin Schone...