Start by marking “Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution: Voices from Tunis to Damascus” as Want to Read:
Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution: Voices from Tunis to Damascus

Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution: Voices from Tunis to Damascus

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
An English PEN Award winning collection of personal testimony from participants in the Arab Spring

As revolution swept through the Arab world in spring of 2011, much of the writing that reached the West came via analysts andacademics, experts and expats. We heard about Facebook posts and Tweeted calls to action, but what was missing was testimony from on-the-ground partic
Published December 31st 2013 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution

Jonathon
Nov 14, 2015 Jonathon rated it it was ok
It was an easy interesting read. I will give you my big problems with the book in the subsequent paragraphs. I went into this book thinking I would like it. I love modern historical books, however what this book does is provide a look into some of the bigger Arab Spring uprisings. This is true, however I do not agree with the translator's claim that these people are heroes, in some cases they are quite the opposite. I was describing to a friend this book, and he immediately dismissed the book as ...more
Eric
Aug 13, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution is a timely book that provides insight into the 2011 uprisings throughout the Middle East. Told in diary-like chapters from individuals in various countries, the book allows you to experience both the exhilarating mass protests and the frightening government crackdowns. Many of the entries also give the reader more information on the background situation that led up to the Arab Spring.

As the Syrian w
Jamie
Oct 29, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing
It took me a couple of weeks to gather my thoughts enough about this collection of essays to write this review, because it is so unsettling, so deeply disturbing, so infuriating, so compelling. But it accomplishes these things in a way we all need and a with stories and information from which every one of could take notes and examine our lives and our worlds. Even now, as I am typing, almost three weeks after I finished this book, I am again on the verge of tears through both sadness and anger ( ...more
Sarah-Hope
Dec 20, 2013 Sarah-Hope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution is a diverse, necessary book that gathers together first-hand accounts of 2011′s “Arab Spring.” The eight pieces it contains (four by women, four by men) offer a view of events during those months that is both more detailed and more reflective than what was available in the Western media at that time. The authors of the individual pieces come from across the Arab world: Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Syria.

Because these are i
Keval
Jan 11, 2016 Keval rated it it was ok
An easy read considering I finished it in less than 3 days. The articles on Bahrain and Egypt were engrossing. The one on Algeria -- exhausting. I almost couldn't feel much for the writer on Libya either, considering he was in London. On the whole though, worth a read if you want a grassroots account of what transpired in the infancy of the so-called Arab Spring.
Kate Lansing
Jul 24, 2014 Kate Lansing rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub
"History tells us that many of the greatest works on revolution were written by authors who were never at the center of events, who stood at the margins or who watched from afar."

The above quote is not true of this series of essays on the Arab Spring, each with a strong narrative voice, written by authors who were there, who participated in the uprisings.

I watched the news in 2011 as the events of the Arab Spring unfolded, however I still understood very little about it. After reading these essa
Tammy Downing
Dec 15, 2013 Tammy Downing rated it it was amazing
A stirring and inspiring collection of stories from the Arab Spring uprisings. I won this book from Goodreads First Reads contest and was eager to read it. This book is a must read if you want to understand the struggles and victories of the people in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Syria and other countries.
Liz
Dec 14, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway. This is profoundly disturbing on the ground view of what has been happening in the Middle East during the so called "Arab Spring". Hard to figure out something to say that wasn't covered in the prior reviews but definitely worth a read.
Jeff Scott
It’s very difficult to examine conflict in different countries and cultures without attempting to make similarities to our own. The idea of revolution is a romantic notion in Europe and certainly in the United States. While the need for freedom and democracy seem like very common ideas, it still comes off as foreign when it happens far away from us. The cause and the fight take on different meanings with different inspirations. The world was fascinated with the Arab Spring. The areas under revol ...more
Michael
Sep 14, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consistently vivid writing that is far more personal than most journalism. This collection contains firsthand reporting of the 2011 Arab Spring from women and men who witnessed it firsthand in Libya and Egypt, Bahrain, Tunisia, Algeria, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Syria. I found the last two pieces about Saudi Arabia and Syria, both written by women, to be the most insightful.
Amalauna Brock
Nov 01, 2015 Amalauna Brock rated it really liked it
These are not the stories of heroes and victors. These are the stories of your average person living through and trying to make sense of the senseless. They are stories of people living through nightmarish regimes and violent calls for change. They are not heartwarming. They are not pretty. Sometimes the stories/people are maddening. This makes this book very real and very telling. A must read.
Mohanad Saleh
Jun 26, 2015 Mohanad Saleh rated it it was amazing
The special thing about this book, is the fact that the story is told by the people who were actually on the ground during Revolution time. While reading it, you can actually feel the words and it takes you to that time, you'd get the feeling you are the one at that war zone or as if you were one of the protestors.

I have lived the revolution in Libya and honestly I couldn't tell the story any better from the way this book tells is. If you are interested in learning about the Arab Spring, this b
Teresa
Jan 07, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
"This is not an academic text where all of the catalysts are set out and defined and analyzed but rather the type of information you'd get from your friends and the short conversation you had with the baker while waiting for your coffee. As such, while there is fact here, it is fact thrown through the lens of people themselves. Compelling doesn't begin to describe it."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.com/2...
Haven Gordon
Aug 08, 2014 Haven Gordon rated it it was amazing
I won this from a goodreads giveaway and I absolutely loved it. I was a religious studies student with a lot of interest in the ME. This book was right up my ally as far as interests goes.
Andréa
Dec 16, 2015 Andréa rated it liked it
It's always hard to get through a book with multiple authors because not all authors write in an appealing way to each individual.
poingu
poingu marked it as to-read
Marek Makowski
Marek Makowski marked it as to-read
Lexi Jormp-Jomp
Lexi Jormp-Jomp marked it as to-read
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Maia
Maia marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Rachelle El
Rachelle El rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Reem
Reem marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Riyad Al hafyan
Riyad Al hafyan marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Rania
Rania marked it as to-read
Carmelo Valone
Carmelo Valone rated it it was amazing
Nicole Wallace
Nicole Wallace marked it as to-read
Ivy Foley
Ivy Foley marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
  • The Crusades of Cesar Chavez: A Biography
  • Spying on Democracy: Government Surveillance, Corporate Power, and Public Resistance
  • Power, Politics And Culture
  • Chasing the Sea: Lost Among the Ghosts of Empire in Central Asia
  • Red Dirt: Growing Up Okie
  • An Iranian Metamorphosis
  • Witness in Palestine: A Jewish American Woman in the Occupied Territories
  • There Was and There Was Not: A Journey through Hate and Possibility in Turkey, Armenia, and Beyond
  • In the Waters of Time