Start by marking “The Stranger (Jem & Carlton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger (Jem & Carlton, #1)

The Stranger (Jem & Carlton #1)

Jem suffers from intense anxiety—he can keep his fears under control as long as he stays on familiar territory. Then Carlton walks into the bookstore where Jem works. Carlton is dangerously handsome, irresistibly charming and hell-bent on getting Jem into bed. Best of all, he makes Jem feel safe. If Jem can take a risk on this unpredictable stranger, the rewards could be ...more
Published June 9th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger

Sarah Yoffa
Sep 17, 2013 Sarah Yoffa rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this story while it was priced at FREE but I definitely would have paid 99 cents for this story. I have no clue if it's part of a serialized novel or meant to be a standalone in a series of standalone stories.

I notice the last page of the ebook file has a listing of 7 different "Jem and Carlton" stories so I had to wonder. If it's a serialization, then the abrupt "ending" to this section is all right--like a chapter ending abruptly while the book goes on. If, however, this was in
vamp
Nov 08, 2014 vamp rated it liked it
As someone who suffers from social anxiety, I was hoping for a more realistic portrayal of a character with the disorder, but I didn't really feel it here, unfortunately. Of course, that might suit another reader just fine, not everyone wants that kind of blind terror in their fiction ;)
Oct 22, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
This was awesome. I want more and apparently there is but each very short story is way too expensive.
Shirley
Dec 30, 2013 Shirley rated it it was ok
This story was well written, I liked the characters and even though it was short, it worked rather well. Why the low rating? Unprotected sex. Yeah it happens, and I'm not naive enough to think that it doesn't, but in this situation it totally ruined the story for me. Carlton seemed caring and genuinely concerned about Jem up until that point. The fact that protection wasn't even considered and Jem didn't even question it when hours before he cringed when someone even invaded his space - even to ...more
Candice
Sep 29, 2013 Candice rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, are
Read on 9-29-13

I didn't buy Jem's anxiety. He basically just let this stranger take him places with hardly any freak out. He doesn't like to be touched, but yet grabbed the stranger's hand. He has to be on familiar ground, but allows the stranger to take him to somewhere unknown. I could have dealt with all of that though. What I couldn't deal with and this may not be an issue for most people, but the unprotected sex. Jem JUST met the guy that day (several hours before) and he's going to let thi
Suze
Jan 13, 2015 Suze rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5*
not one for me, didn't feel connected to the characters at all. I do enjoy short reads and I dont think the size was an issue, the story advanced and got to a closure OK.
I think I would have liked more, like book 0.5, just setting up Jem and Carlton. As it is a series of 7, I think reading all as 1 story will give best results.
A
Nov 19, 2013 A rated it liked it
For someone who suffers from extreme anxiety and avoids unfamiliar people, places, and things that you let a perfect stranger sweep you off your feet, have dinner with them and then have sex, it is hard to believe. But then this is only a short story.
Kristine Cassan
Oct 11, 2013 Kristine Cassan rated it really liked it
It was a cute short story!

I read this one first, since it was free and then discovered the Jem & Carlton Bundle at Amazon with all the stories in the series. Definitely read the bundle. Their story flows nicely.
Tamela
May 15, 2014 Tamela rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Sexy short and I would love to learn more about these two but find that much as I'd like to continue with the series I feel that $3 for only 15 pages would stretch my budget tooo far.
Leeanne Ru
Aug 22, 2013 Leeanne Ru rated it it was amazing
it was a very sweet book with some edification thrown in. it also deals with a mental illness / phobia. it was a short read but worth it.
Anna
I sweet short read, just perfect before turning out the lights at night. I really liked Carlton's way of making sure Jem felt allright. They were sweet together.
Nancy Carbajal
Nov 28, 2013 Nancy Carbajal rated it really liked it
Very, very short read....the title says it all. But it wasn't what I thought it would be, very surprising! Very sexy. Well done IMHO, for such a short story. Good writing, good job!!
Tailtiu
Jun 12, 2014 Tailtiu marked it as o-maybe-r
Shelves: free
Note to self: look for the complete story here: Jem & Carlton
Kitten Blue
May 24, 2014 Kitten Blue rated it did not like it
Meh. And not just because it's too short to get to know the characters AT ALL. Whiny-ass, pathetic Jem is just NOT my idea of a good time.
Mandi
Nov 12, 2013 Mandi rated it liked it
Got this for free and I would love to read the rest of the story, but $2.99 each? Think I'll pass. Maybe I'll pick up the bundle when I get my next ARE free ebook.
Urban
Urban rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Frankie
Frankie rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2016
NancyM
NancyM rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
Sharon
Sharon rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
joani
joani rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Dena
Jan 17, 2014 Dena rated it really liked it
3.5*
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2014
Calila
Calila rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Eduarda Maddox
Eduarda Maddox rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Debra Edson
Debra Edson rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
k reads
k reads rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Jem & Carlton (7 books)
  • The Morning After (Jem & Carlton, #2)
  • Playing Nicely (Jem & Carlton #3)
  • Public Indecency (Jem & Carlton, #4)
  • Wait for It (Jem & Carlton, #5)
  • Coming Home (Jem & Carlton, #6)
  • Never Leave (Jem & Carlton, #7)