Start by marking “High Heat (Jack Reacher, #17.5)” as Want to Read:
High Heat (Jack Reacher, #17.5)

High Heat (Jack Reacher #17.5)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  12,537 Ratings  ·  663 Reviews
Thriller master Lee Child returns with an exclusive eBook short story. In the midst of a savage heat wave and an infamous murder spree, a blackout awakens the dark side of the city that never sleeps—and a young Jack Reacher takes action as only he can.

Don’t miss the exciting preview of Lee Child’s highly anticipated Jack Reacher novel, Never Go Back!

July 1977. Jack Reac
Published August 6th 2013 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about High Heat, please sign up.

Olive Goodwin A certain paperback version of "Never Go Back" has "High Heat" included.

But 2017 will also see the release of…more
A certain paperback version of "Never Go Back" has "High Heat" included.

But 2017 will also see the release of "No Middle Name," which is a collection of all the Reacher short stories released so far, as well as a new one that ties into the new novel coming this year, too.(less)

Keri
Aug 09, 2013 Keri rated it it was amazing
I love when Lee Child writes stories of a young Jack Reacher, (Tom Cruise still would be too short to play this part as well. ;-) because we meet a 16 year old JR and he is as tall and built as he is ever going to be. But at this point in time, he has the young body and shear bravado that he will carry for the rest of his life. He is traveling through NYC on his way to meet his older brother at West Point, when he comes upon a man assaulting a woman. So he does what any 16 year old would do, he ...more
Phrynne
Mar 17, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable novella about a teenage Jack Reacher beating up the bad guys in New York in 1977. It's a little bit silly and the reader has to suspend belief for a while because Jack is an unbelievably mature sixteen year old. Nevertheless it is written in Lee Child's inimitable way and and is enormously readable and fun! I rarely read novellas but may make an exception for these ones.
Tucker Elliot
Aug 06, 2013 Tucker Elliot rated it it was amazing
“They could have kept on walking”

HIGH HEAT is a very satisfying short story for Reacher fans. It’s far better than the earlier Reacher eBooks SECOND SON and DEEP DOWN. The writing is typical Lee Child (superb) and the plot is typical Reacher – he wanders into town, finds a lady or two, and a lot of trouble. And it’s pretty awesome.

Reacher is on his way to visit his brother at West Point when he stops off in NYC to check out the music scene and the college girls at NYU, but what he finds is a ci
Ahmad Sharabiani
High Heat (Jack Reacher, #17.5), Lee Child
Seeley James
Aug 21, 2013 Seeley James rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of Lee Child, but his short stories are not his best work.

This story ties too many historical events together with a too-strong-and-too-smart teenager. Mr. Child wrote a short story about Jack Reacher's childhood, which was credible, but this one takes Jack Reacher into the mid-teens and yet the character acts exactly like the fully grown Jack. Didn't work for me.

I'm not sure what's driving Mr. Child to write these short stories (novella in this case) but I don't see it as worthw
John
Dec 29, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, novella
Totally ridiculous, but fun nonetheless. Jack Reacher makes for the most unrealistic sixteen-year-old boy ever put to paper. In HIGH HEAT, not only does Reacher take down a drug kingpin and help catch the Son of Sam, he also navigates New York City during a blackout, saves the career of an FBI agent, and gets all hot and sweaty with a nubile college girl he picks up at a coffee shop. Even James Bond would find it a bit over-the-top.
Kevintipple
Sep 01, 2013 Kevintipple rated it liked it
It is July 13, 1977 in New York City as the High Heat: A Jack Reacher Novella opens and Jack Reacher is three months shy of his 17th birthday. It is 8:30 in the evening on a day that has been a scorcher. He has just witnessed some sort of altercation between a man and woman that has resulted in the woman being slapped in the face.

A son of a Marine does not allow that to go unchallenged.

Being the son of a Marine that was stationed all over the world means that Reacher knows how to fight. In the
Brenda
It was 1977 and sixteen year old Jack Reacher was on his way to visit his brother, Joe. He found himself travelling through New York city in the dark of the evening, with the unbearable heat like a blanket over the city. When he came across a situation which seemed threatening, he quietly observed, ready to step in if necessary. Suddenly the man slapped the woman, hard. After Reacher had taught the man a lesson (as only he could) they watched him stumble away into the darkness. “You don’t know w ...more
Freda Malone
Oct 09, 2016 Freda Malone rated it liked it
Jack Reacher as a young man, just shy of his 17th birthday, brings a mobster to his knees and a serial killer to justice. I liked this short story, but not nearly as much as I like the full on books that give us that urge to whoop for joy when he goes after the bad guys. There wasn't enough time to develop a relationship with the characters and somehow I found it almost unbelievable for the most part. Sixteen and already packed with that underdog awesomeness he shows later? Nahhh, he may have gr ...more
The Behrg
Jul 22, 2016 The Behrg rated it it was ok
I've only delved into a few of the Jack Reacher books and, while I find their plots a little ridiculous, they certainly are fun. This novella takes us back to "pre"-Reacher days, when Jack was still in his teens and visiting New York City. Unfortunately, what could have provided Child a great opportunity to showcase the difference between the seasoned Reacher and his younger self instead reads as more of the same.

Only even less believable.

You have a 16 year old military brat telling an FBI agen
Susan
Apr 02, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good short about Jack when he was 16. It's hard to picture JR ever being young so this was just a little insight into how worldly and mature he was very early on in his life.

It's the 70's and Jack is on his way to visit his brother at West Point when he stops off in NY for a very full night of fun, that includes: a female FBI agent, the mob, a blackout, an unexpexted death, scorching heat, Son of Sam, a trist with a college girl and lots of action packed fighting. Just a night in the
Jeanette
Aug 17, 2013 Jeanette rated it really liked it
How delightful to read a short story starring almost 17 year old Jack Reacher. Coupled in delight by the location in 1977 summer NYC Black Out night, yet.

Oh Reacher! You are just as delectable without any scars, and with all your brand new and shiny grown-up teeth still intact.

Almost a 5 star, but then I really don't give short stories 5 star unless they all pile perfect on each other in a collection.

Kenneth P.
Oct 09, 2013 Kenneth P. rated it did not like it
This is silly beyond belief, a cartoon. Here is a protagonist, who at 16 years old must be a high school junior-- baby Jack Reacher. Yet he has all the moves of James Bond and speaks like a 40 year old well-educated man of the world. But every time he opens his mouth you will cringe. His voice doesn't work the way it should. He talks tougher than Clint Eastwood and Bruce Willis even as the peach fuzz on his upper lip refuses to grow. He lives in Korea with his Marine Corps Daddy but knows the st ...more
Diane
Nov 15, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
I had forgotten all about this novella! Great read, great taste of Jack Reacher! Wish I could give 5 stars, but I'm not a big fan of novellas. What I can say about this book is that I enjoyed it more than his latest book "Personal".

Jack finds himself in New York City - he's only 16 years old, but very worldly. First he meets a suspended undercover female FBI agent and Jack being Jack helps the agent after a bad guy slaps her across the face. He then meets a small group of young women and he goes
Dee Haddrill
I'm a big fan of Jack Reacher, but honestly, this short story annoyed me. Reacher talks like he is 30 years old, not 16. In fact he seems older in this than he does in some of the normal books. But seriously, he helps an FBI agent get the big mafia drug-dealer (actually he mostly does it on his own) AND gives her the info to help solve a major real-life case. I'm sorry, I think Reacher is awesome and all, but this was just pushing the boundaries of what could honestly be expected of a 16 year ol ...more
Joyce
Aug 07, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
Reacher is 16 and in NYC en-route to West Point to see his brother. It is hot and the night of the NY blackout. Reacher's adventures (up to and including a sexual encounter with a college girl) are many and varied...gangsters, an FBI agent on suspension and, most probably, the Son of Sam. Reading this you forget Reacher is a kid. Even at 16 he is Reacher. Good, quick reading.
Carol Jean
Nov 09, 2015 Carol Jean rated it really liked it
Well, I mean, yeah, it's great fun. And it is set during the first summer I lived in NYC. But really? Reacher was already Reacher when he was 16? Nah. ;-)
William C. Miller
Sep 25, 2014 William C. Miller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh !!!

Will Lee child become just another hack with a staff of beginning writers doing his work? Wish I had that money back.
Simon
May 18, 2015 Simon rated it liked it
Not a bad story but as others have remarked, Reacher is way too worldly for a 16yr old which hurts the story and Reacher as a character.
Wilma Rebstock
Dec 15, 2014 Wilma Rebstock rated it really liked it
This book takes one back to where Reacher was 16. It's a fun read.
Max Rudenko
Dec 25, 2013 Max Rudenko rated it really liked it
I took of 1 star because of some incredibility and far-fetchedness on Child's part. But this is fiction so Child can write in his books whatever he wants. Well, sometimes even life is stranger than fiction.
Otherwise, if you're willing to suspend some disbelief I guarantee you will like this Reacher novella. It has all the components of a good Reacher book: plenty of beloved by us, Reacher fans, action/reaction, intrigue/suspense, crisp dialogue, memorable street smarts and vivid, precise descri
Prity Malhotra
Sep 07, 2013 Prity Malhotra rated it did not like it
Reading a Short story of just about 75 pages that too which got a lot of positive word of mouth and being a Best-seller, I thought this book is gonna blow me off in a short time, almost like a quickie..Finished it in a day. While reading, I never felt like I am reading a Book by an accomplished author like Lee Child, rather felt as if this book is written by some 6yr old Child. The basic plot is too Childish. Although the Characters are well-etched, the emotions and actions exuded by them appear ...more
Philtrum
Aug 16, 2013 Philtrum rated it did not like it
I've read all 19 Reacher novels and all the short stories. This was just silly.

More like fan fiction.

I think Child just sat down one morning and dictated this in an hour or so. The kind of book the term "phoning it in" was designed for.

The setting was novel (New York 1977) and the real-life references were neat, but the plot was silly and the notion that Jack Reacher at 16 was, in essence, the fully formed man he became in his mid/late 30s was just lazy and, frankly, insulting.

As much as I hate
D.G.
A polite young Reacher was just too cute. Everything was "Yes, Maam" and "No, Maam". And his reaction to that BJ was so hilarious!! (As expected, he thought it was the best thing ever.) Not that there wasn't action: made men, FBI agents, a blackout in NYC and even a Son of Sam sighting! Plus a lot of broken skulls, but even at 16 but what else can you expect from him?

Totally worth it for fans of the series.
Matthew
Aug 06, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
This story follows a 16 year old Reacher while he's in NYC on his way to see his brother. The plot is busy with him confronting mafia men, meeting a girl and encountering a serial killer all during a blackout. The first few chapters had extremely short, choppy sentences that I found annoying until the book smoothed out. Also, the plot was very far fetched; taking on the mob and encountering Berkowitz.
Gary
Jul 16, 2013 Gary rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Lee Child and really enjoy the Jack Reacher series, but I never feel completely satisfied with novellas / short stories. This short story was better than some but due to the length of the novel characters are never fully developed and plots rely heavily on good fortune etc
The only thing that helped with this short story was the knowledge of the character Jack Reacher from previous books. I am looking forward to his latest novel due to be released at the end of this month.
Reed
Mar 09, 2015 Reed rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A Jack Reacher story/novella... and a piece of crap. A 16-year-old horny Jack Reacher getting a blow job, the NYC 1977 blackout, a Son of Sam sighting, another head butt to the nose (crunch), and an eventually dead FBI agent (out of nowhere -- her heart stops after a shower??). A totally giggle-inducing piece of crap. Did I say that already? A piece of crap? As in a piece of crap? Sorry, Lee -- you lost me at it all. This is an embarrassment to the Reacher series.
Bob108819
Aug 03, 2014 Bob108819 rated it did not like it
Daniel
Mar 05, 2014 Daniel rated it did not like it
He is 16 but has knowledge and skills of a 30+ old Reacher. C mon Lee, he's just a kid. TCK for that matter. He was probably quite messed up growing up, and surely a kid of 16 cant be that brave to take out a gang of 8, have sex right there on the main avenue and know how ppl who served in korea walk. I'm glad this was inly 64 pages long as I couldnt wait to finish it.
Bibliophile Book Club
Jan 11, 2016 Bibliophile Book Club rated it it was amazing
Best one so far! I'm reading the novellas one after another and this has been my favourite! It has The Son Of Sam in it, a thrilling plot and lots of action. My favourite kind of Reacher story!
Short Stories 1 3 Oct 17, 2016 11:53AM
  • Jack in a Box (Hunt for Reacher, #2)
  • Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Harry Bosch, #16.5; Harry Bosch Universe, #19.5)
  • Bullseye (Will Robie, #2.5)
  • One More Body
  • Sniper's Honor (Bob Lee Swagger, #9)
  • The Driver (John Milton #3)
  • Busted (Will Trent, #6.5)
  • Free Fall: A Prelude to Hidden Order (Scot Harvath, #11.5)
  • A Textbook Case (Lincoln Rhyme, #9.5)
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • The Tudor Plot (Cotton Malone, #7.5)
  • Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more
More about Lee Child...

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)

“below the glass would be the weak spot. Plywood, probably, maybe three-eighths thick, painted, retained in the frame by quarter-round moldings. Reacher was wearing shoes he had bought in the London airport two deployments ago, stout British things with welts and toecaps as hard as steel.” 3 likes
“For real? That’s kind of creepy.” Reacher said, “I know. And I’m real” 3 likes