Start by marking “Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  25,495 Ratings  ·  2,136 Reviews
“What does it mean to manage well?”
From Ed Catmull, co-founder (with Steve Jobs and John Lasseter) of Pixar Animation Studios, comes an incisive book about creativity in business—sure to appeal to readers of Daniel Pink, Tom Peters, and Chip and Dan Heath. Creativity, Inc. is a book for managers who want to lead their employees to new heights, a manual for anyone who striv
Published April 8th 2014 by Random House (first published July 24th 2009)

Ross Blocher
Apr 18, 2014 Ross Blocher rated it it was amazing
For those unfamiliar with Ed Catmull, he is best known as the president of both Pixar and Disney Animation Studios. Full disclosure: I work for the latter. Before I came to work at Disney, I knew of Ed Catmull as a technological innovator in the field of computer graphics and animation. He was essential in the development of the alpha channel, z-buffer, texture mapping, and a number of other technologies that make digital animation possible. After years of problem solving in the technical space, ...more
Tim Adler
Apr 06, 2014 Tim Adler rated it it was ok
This book is so disappointing. I had hoped it would take one behind the scenes of such storytelling genius as UP and TOY STORY. Instead, it's a bunch of platitudes which could be bullet pointed in a few pages, which indeed they are at the end. Most of it is common sense: rigid pyramid structures in organisations are bad; everybody should feel free to contribute; and, get this, if you're planning to write a feature film, it's good to do some research. Like, duh. At one point, Catmull -- who, to h ...more
Otis Chandler
Recommend this highly for anyone who works in a technology or creative field. Pixars track records is unparalleled - 14 movies and all of them have been massive hits. I had two important takeaways from this book: how to build a great, lasting culture, and how to build a creative company.

Catmull's philosophy both around creating movies and managing his company, is to be relentless about remembering that he doesn't know what he doesn't know. In creating a movie, you don't know what it will be when
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Feb 01, 2016 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it really liked it
I was reading this more for the creativity angle than the story-of-a-company angle, so I definitely skimmed some of the Pixar story. I read bits of this to the group of library faculty and staff that I supervise, and we had a great conversation about our current and upcoming "ugly babies."

"Originality is fragile. And, in its first moments, it's often far from pretty. This is why I call early mock-ups of our films "ugly babies. They are not beautiful, miniature versions of the adults they will g
Amanda
Jan 15, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, business
I read this because I'm an artist, but I loved it because I'm a manager. Whether you're a computer science history buff, a fan of Pixar or Disney, an aspiring animator, an entrepreneur, an artist, or manager, you'll get something great out of this book. One of the best business books I've read in a long time.
Raquel Bookish
Jan 24, 2017 Raquel Bookish rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Estudiantes de empresariales, futuros emprendedores, amantes de Pixar
Es un libro mucho más técnico de lo que estoy acostumbrada, pero aún así sigue siendo una lectura que habría acabado en mi mesilla por placer. Ed Catmull convierte la historia de Pixar y cuanto ha aprendido al frente de la empresa sobre la creatividad y el trabajo en equipo en un relato apasionante y en ocasiones incluso poético. He aprendido y he disfrutado cada página. No se puede pedir menos de Pixar.
Fred
Mar 13, 2014 Fred rated it liked it
This book was equal parts "Management Theory Text" and "Memoirs of an Unconventional CEO" with a healthy dose of "My Business Relationship with Steve Jobs" and while that may sound a bit scattered or even dry, this work is neither. Catmull manages to sprinkle the above seasonings into the broth in precisely the correct measurements to create an insightful and enjoyable stew.
Often mentioned in the text is his continued education, often through trial and error, about effectively managing creative
Gergana
A wonderful and insightful story, loved everything about this book and I am definitely buying a hard back copy so I can underline some of the lessons. Ed is a great story teller and a pretty good psychologist. Many business books are straight to the point :"Take risks!" "Believe in yourself" etc., but Creative, Inc. dives even deeper into the true meaning of "leadership".
Po Po
Oct 07, 2014 Po Po rated it liked it
What this book is: a managerial how-to on fostering creativity, productivity and work/ life balance in the office.

What this book is not: a guidebook of creative inspiration for regular everyday DIYers who work alone.

* * *

The ideas are cut and dry and pretty simplistic for being, ostensibly, a manager's book on creativity.

Although this book isn't a memoir, there is a very brief gloss-over on Ed Catmull's family, childhood and education.

There are interesting details on Pixar's promising yet rocky
Jay
Mar 05, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it
In trying to come up with descriptions of how this book is written, I keep thinking of the word "earnest". Ed Catmull, the president of Pixar and Disney Animation, comes across as an earnest guy trying to do the best job he can. And as part of his earnest approach to running an animation company, he and his team came up with a number of ways to try to ensure his employees didn't lose their mojo, their creativity, their inspiration. This book is a description of the things they tried. What this b ...more
João Carlos

Ao infinito... E além...

6 Estrelas Pixar

Edwin Earl “Ed” Catmull (n. 1945), doutorado em ciência da computação pela Universidade do Utah, é co-fundador, juntamente, com Steve Jobs e John Lasster, da Pixar Animation Studios e presidente da Walt Disney Animation Studios e da Pixar Animation Studios.
”Criatividade”, com o subtítulo ”Como Vencer as Forças que Bloqueiam a Inspiração” é um livro escrito por Ed Catmull em parceria com a jornalista Amy Wallace.
Nos últimos vinte anos “assisti” a todos os
Suzanne
May 12, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This is one of this books that you find yourself referencing in conversations on a regular basis. It's a mistake to think of this as a book for managing a workforce that needs to be creative, or a way to make your company more creative. For me, it was more about that messy business of leading and managing people. It's messy due to the different personalities and the mixed perspectives each person has. Add in that there is so much information which is naturally hidden to each person and the situa ...more
Paul
Mar 15, 2014 Paul added it
The book is presented as a “how to” on inspiring a creative culture and doing away with anything that hinders the creative process. While giving a great behind-the-scenes look at the production steps that went into favorite animated films, it also provides some valuable tidbits of advice for leaders.

Whether you work in a creative company or one where creativity is valued, you’ll find detailed discussions around the following topics useful:

* Encourage all employees to express themselves freely w
RitaSkeeter
Stimulating. Thought provoking. Inspiring.

I started reading this book on a whim this morning, and couldn't put it down. I had borrowed an e-book from the library, but I've just bought a paperback and intend to re-read when it arrives. A fuller review to come after that.
Donna
Mar 23, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book wasn't what I expected but it worked. I really liked this. The author, co-founder of Pixar, is extremely passionate about animation and he lets you know the huge role he played in the way computer animation has changed the old way of doing things. I found it funny that the old guys at Disney didn't even want to give computer animation and also computer editing, a courtesy nod, because they knew their craft (the old way) and didn't want to change. I think they completely missed the boat ...more
Sherif Nagib
Jun 11, 2016 Sherif Nagib rated it really liked it
إدوين كاتمول مؤلف الكتاب هو رئيس بيكسار وديزني، وواحد من مخترعي الجرافيكس أنيميشن، يعني تاريخ. الكتاب عن رحلته مع تأسيس بيكسار وإدارة بيئة إبداعية ناجحة. الرجل بيتكلم بتواضع شديد عن قصص فيها فشل ومعاناة، وإزاي شركة عملاقة زي بيكسار، لمّت هذا العدد من الجوائز والأوسكارات وغيرت شكل الأنيميشن وأسلوب الحكي فيه، مرّت بعثرات وكل فيلم كان فيه مصيبة ولطم وصريخ وإحساس بإن "ده الفيلم اللي هايوقع الشركة". الواحد بيبقى عنده إحساس إن الدنيا ماشية حلاوة مع الناس دول بس الموضوع مش كده نهائي، هم بس منظمين شوية ...more
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
I can't tell if Creativity, Inc: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration belongs more in management, inspiration, self-help, or fodder for fans. What I can say, though, is that I loved reading it.

Though he was born in West Virginia, Ed Catmull moved to Utah as a child and was raised in neighborhoods near my own. Despite interests in animation, during college at the University of Utah, he became pursued at talent in math and studied physics and computer science. Eve
Violeta
Sep 11, 2016 Violeta rated it really liked it
¡4,5! ¡FANTÁSTICO!
Shehab Hamad
Apr 25, 2014 Shehab Hamad rated it liked it
Fun (if obvious) insights into the Pixar story including a few entertaining Steve Jobs cameos! Main take-aways for me were the bits on candor and the "brain trust".
Jurgen Appelo
Aug 25, 2014 Jurgen Appelo rated it it was amazing
Inspiring story of an amazing company. Read it!
Jeff
Apr 17, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-book-list
Like many of you, I've been a big fan of Pixar. The way they have built a staff culture that pushes against the status quo allowing them to pursue new and innovative ideas is inspiring. This book helps unlock the secret to how they achieve this and how they empower leaders to accomplish it. I highly recommend this book to any person currently breathing.

Here are a few of my takeaways from Ed Catmull, CEO of Pixar, the author of Creativity, Inc.

On Leadership:
* In big organizations there are adva
Faizah Aulia R
5 karena Faizah fan PIXAR garis keras, alasan yang sama kenapa baca buku ini, fangirl PIXAR garis keras wkwkw #teamPIXAR

Siapa yang tidak kenal film animasi Frozen ? Big Hero 6 ? UP ? Brave ? Cars ? Inside Out ? dan masih banyak film animasi lainnya yang dilahirkan dari studio animasi PIXAR yang selalu sukses bikin hati terenyuh karena kekuatan ceritanya, nah buku ini tidak mengajak kita bagaimana cara berpikir kreatif seperti mereka, tapi mengajak melihat perjalanan mereka membangun PIXAR dari 0
Dan
Jun 26, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing
Let's talk about Pixar.

Toy Story was the world's first fully-computer-animated feature film. But it wasn't just a technological marvel -- it was a great movie with memorable characters. "A Bug's Life", "Toy Story 2" (and 3), "Cars", "Monsters, Inc."... All great movies, but perhaps they're great because they're not safe. Wall-E's opening has almost thirty minutes with no dialogue, and it still blew me away. And don't forget "Up!", the story of an elderly balloon salesman who flies his house away
Santhosh
Nov 25, 2014 Santhosh rated it really liked it
Nelson Zagalo
Magical. This is the only word I can find to describe what I felt reading this roller-coaster non-fiction book. Amazing, thrilling, emotional, and highly inspiring. This is a book that any lover of animation will adore, more even if you love Pixar movies.

But more important than that, this is a book that every manager of creative companies should read and re-read. I know this is asking too much, but it should be obligatory in every MBA. It'll not be, because it professes such a different philoso
K.M. Weiland
Jun 19, 2015 K.M. Weiland rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to receive this wonderful book as a gift. It’s such an amazing read on so many levels. First of all, it’s just plain fun to get to sneak a peek behind the curtains of everyone’s favorite movie studio. As a film buff *and* someone who grew up with Pixar’s characters, it was a delight to get to find out what was really happening behind the scenes.

But beyond the pure fun of voyeurism, this is also a very serious book. It offers brilliant insights into creativity on an individ
Федор Кривов
Любопытная книжка про строительство Pixar, еще кое-что про Стива Джобса. Ценна мыслями о том, как построить эффективную культуру: "Эволюция этой истории со всей очевидностью продемонстрировала мне горькую истину: если хорошую идею дать посредственной команде, она ее испортит. Если же посредственную идею дать отличной команде, она либо вытянет ее, либо выбросит и придумает что-нибудь получше. Объединение правильных людей и формирование правильной «химии» отношений важнее любой правильной идеи."
Jessica S. Manuel
Sep 27, 2015 Jessica S. Manuel rated it it was amazing
This is an anti-leadership book that gives a peak inside the creative evolution of the people who made the Pixar movies we know and love. There is a brief section that discusses the role of consciousness and memory in animation, which I found particularly interesting and insightful. Ed Catmull, the author, shows candor and humility as he describes what he's learned by leading Pixar.
Edgar Correa
Jun 15, 2016 Edgar Correa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quando penso na Pixar e na Disney, penso em um ambiente perfeito onde qualquer um amaria trabalhar, Ed Catmull mostra que mostra que na verdade que eles também têm problemas e que é justamente aí que reside o diferencial entre os medíocres e os excelentes.
Meghan
Jan 30, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: xy, prof-dev
An oddly moving book about business, management, thinking real big, and the factors that encourage unbridled creative thinking.
  • A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas
  • The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
  • Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving with Grace
  • Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less
  • Collaboration: How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Build Common Ground, and Reap Big Results
  • Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances
  • The Leader′s Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • High Output Management
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • The Connected Company
Edwin Earl "Ed" Catmull, PhD is a computer scientist and current president of Walt Disney Animation Studios, DisneyToon Studios, and Pixar Animation Studios. As a computer scientist, Catmull has contributed to many important developments in computer graphics.
More about Ed Catmull...

“If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better.” 71 likes
“You are not your idea, and if you identify too closely with your ideas, you will take offense when they are challenged.” 69 likes