Start by marking “In New York” as Want to Read:
In New York

In New York

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Marc Brown now calls New York City home, and with In New York, he shares his love for all that the city has to offer and all that it stands for, including the way it's always changing and evolving. From its earliest days as New Amsterdam to the contemporary wonders of Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, and the Empire State Building, to the kid-appealing subway, High Line ...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about In New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In New York

This visual and textual love letter to New York City also serves as a primer for navigating the largest city in the United States. The endpapers and the book itself provide examples of places to go and things to see and do. The inclusion of snippets of history about the city's early years adds to the book's charm since many of its streets have been presumably laid out along the pathways those farm animals once laid, an interesting thought to consider. The author/illustrator takes readers to the ...more
Starting as an eight-year-old with a family train trip to New York City from Erie, Pennsylvania, Marc Brown shares that first joy he felt arriving in the city he now resides in. The book covers a huge amount of famous locations in a large picture book format. With double page colorful illustrations, Brown takes the reader from the Empire State building, to the Brooklyn Bridge, to the subway in a dynamic cross section view showing layers of its network, and much more. He sprinkles each page with ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Learn about New York City, the beloved home to the author and illustrator of this book! This is a great book for elementary school aged children, who will learn facts about New York's history to the present day. Of course all of the landmarks are beautifully depicted through the artwork and illustrations of this book. You definitely get the feeling that the author really loves his city and is excited to share it with young readers. Having never been to New York City, I sure want to visit even mo ...more
It's clear the author's passion for his subject and while he covers many of New York City's most favorite features I was disappointed by the exclusion of the New York Public Library.

Watercolor and gouache illustrations are nice, but for this subject I found myself wanting a more realistic look in terms of artwork.

Fun facts are presented throughout the story and additionally inside the front and back covers. Information on the sites mentioned in text is included in the back matter to assist reade
J. Jefferson
Fans of Marc Brown will enjoy this book. Upon opening the book, readers will find nice illustrations with fun facts about New York City. I chose this book under the assumption that it was about the entire state; it seems more appropriate to have named it In New York City. Other than this misconception, however, I think the book is excellent. I believe that even natives to the city will find many new and interesting facts upon reading it. Told in simple language and in narrative style, this non-f ...more
Ann Williams
Marc Brown, author of the popular Arthur series, writes a wonderful travel guide to New York City. I can tell how much he loves NYC; it is evident in the prose and illustrations. It will be a great mentor text for non fiction writing. Check it out from your local library and plan a trip to NYC, you won't be disappointed, with the book or the trip!
Beautiful, amazing book. Great art and text, and so awesome that it's a memoir too. Butttttt, I don't know if you knew this, but according to Marc Brown, there are no persons of color in all of New York. EXCEPT the hotel porter and the basketball player. (seriously?!?!) I can't give the book any more than two stars for that reason.
Mrs. Fornero
This is the perfect book for young readers, especially if they are planning a visit to New York for the first time. Marc Brown is like a personal tour guide showing readers all of the fun and interesting things to find in New York. Kids will really enjoy the Macy's parade shout - out featuring a very special balloon character:)
A great introduction to the city, but is the first page New York when he visited as a child or where he lives now? And what is the tall building shown there and at the end?
Good amount of history for young readers.
I love that he put the balloon of Arthur in the parade scene.
This would be great to read to our second graders for their continent studies of North America!
Marc Brown, most known for his beloved aardvark "Arthur," has written and illustrated a cool book about his adopted city.

This is very kid-friendly, with all sorts of fun facts, and very detailed pictures that are almost as busy as the city itself!
Read for Librarian Book Group
Mostly I had the following sour grapes thought while reading this book: "How nice that you found fame and fortune by creating Arthur and can afford to live in your lovely part of New York." But that's just me.
Clare and Tammy - Teachers for Teachers
We can’t wait to share this “all about book” with students who are writing a nonfiction text about a specific place. Although there are no headings or subheadings, each page of this text clearly describes a specific part of New York City.
3.5 stars. I wasn't blown away by this book, but it was still good. With lovely, eye-catching illustrations, and interesting facts about the history, sites, and sounds of NYC, this would be the perfect book for parents to read youngsters before taking them for a visit.
An interesting and delightful ode to the wonders of New York City. I enjoyed the references to Marc Brown's previous works sprinkled throughout the illustrations (the Times Square spread has a billboard for Zoozical: The Musical & Arthur appears as a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade). This brings me to my quibbles with this book. The traffic patterns of Central Park West travel south while the illustrations show it moving north. The parade route for the Thanksgiving parade approache ...more
Natalie Pietro
When I saw Marc Brown had a new book coming out I thought here we go again with another Arthur book. I was pleasently surpised to learn it was not Arthur but a book about Marc's home town New York. This was a very fun book for kids. It gave nice facts about the city, colors pictures and easy words for the young to read. My sons favorite page was Central Park. He loved seeing all the different sights in the park. He enjoyed the zoo secition of Central park the best. I was suprised at the fun fact ...more
Marc Brown shares his love of the city with young readers. Many of my favorite spots are included. Interesting facts and information. There are more than 24,000 trees in Central Park!
Ruth Anne
Children will enjoy pouring over Marc Brown's illustrations of New York City. There is so much to New York and this book gives a place to start for young visitors to the Big Apple.
Angie  Moore
It's Marc brown! I felt like he was giving me a personal tour of New York in this book...I've never been there but I felt like I was there :) great book for both kids and adults!
Read  Ribbet
Marc Brown celebrates New York City in this picture book that provides information about NYC's sites and sounds. Classic Brown illustrations visualize the city.
Great read if you are about to visit New York young or old. It's full of interesting facts and a comprehensive list of resources in the back.
I like this even though it is oversized. Might be good as a model for kids writing their own In ______________ their own city.

Jillian Heise
This book is a combination of a love story to New York City, a travel guide for kids, and a fact sheet for the largest city in the United States.
Loved the illustrations. Kept my two year old thoroughly engaged! Plus a great storyline to easily expand on, especially if you have background in NYC living.
Ruth Ann
Marc Brown wrote and illustrated this book about New York City, a place that he had always dreamed of living. Now he does!

The beginning offers a very short history of New York, and takes us along as it begins to evolve.

It's kind of like a travel guide for kids and families getting ready to visit Manhattan. It covers sounds and sights, and places that kids won't want to miss! The book tells us things like there are over 1,600 places in the city that serve pizza!

My favorite parts of the book are i
Love NYC! Love the pictures in this with great explanations of things to do and not too wordy in the process.
Sep 30, 2014 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-4th grade
A nice addition to the plethora of books about New York City, but nothing spectacular. Brown highlights places and facts of interest to younger elementary age readers. Facts are sprinkled throughout as well as included on the end papers. Illustrations are typical Marc Brown style and Arthur even makes an appearance as a parade float.
May 14, 2014 JJ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: juvenile
simple text but good details, not just the basic NY facts, great illustrations
I have never been to NY and this books makes me want to go.
Love the history lessons. Probably would not use it in instruction.
Great introduction to New York for younger kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Galapagos George
  • A Baby Elephant in the Wild
  • A Boy and a Jaguar
  • Raindrops Roll
  • Mama Built a Little Nest
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Gravity
  • Barbed Wire Baseball: How One Man Brought Hope to the Japanese Internment Camps of WWII
  • Grandfather Gandhi
  • Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...