Start by marking “The Turing Option” as Want to Read:
The Turing Option

The Turing Option (The Turing Option #1)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  344 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Mind meets microchip as a brilliant young genius develops a machine capable of spontaneous thought. Before he can perfect the machine, terrorists steal his research and put a bullet through his brain. Miraculously revived by methods he pioneered, he must find his lost memory and discover who is trying to kill him.
Published October 1st 1993 by Grand Central Publishing (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Turing Option, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Turing Option

Snow Crash by Neal StephensonNeuromancer by William GibsonThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams2001 by Arthur C. ClarkeCryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Computers in Literature
49th out of 185 books — 178 voters
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourtCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyIn the Woods by Tana FrenchDubliners by James JoyceTara Road by Maeve Binchy
Best Fiction Set in Ireland
265th out of 312 books — 303 voters

More lists with this book...

Riku Sayuj
Nov 22, 2011 Riku Sayuj rated it it was amazing
I think this was the book that tuned me from a technophobe to a geek.
kat
Apr 06, 2010 kat rated it it was ok
This is one of the books that got me interested in studying AI. Now that I reread it, knowing more about the technology, it comes off as a little silly. A pleasant enough read and contains a good layman's intro to some aspects of Minsky and AI. Pretty good speculation for its time, but dated in some strange and amusing ways. I've always liked Harrison, and even though this isn't his strongest book, it does have its moments. Will sadly have to be relegated to the list entitled "books that were wa ...more
Bill Shears
An excerpt from "Dark Streets," the suspense column I do for Night Owl Reviews: "In our first "Dark Streets" column we mentioned how pan-genre suspense stories are. Since then we've been reading around for an excellent example of a science fiction with the power to grip that has little to so with its technology or way out setting.

We thought we had a likely candidate in The Turing Option by Harry Harrison and Marvin Minsky but it turns out not to be so. This one has an intriguing premise, especi
William Bentrim
Jan 06, 2011 William Bentrim rated it really liked it
The Turing Option by Harry Harrison and Marvin Minsky

True artifical intelligence is within reach when Brian Delaney, prodigy, is left for dead and his life’s work is stolen. The ensuing search for the dastardly villains (truly dastardly) and recreation of his work is the thrust of the book.

Brian Delaney is not very likeable but his life was not started a foundation of love and trust. This may be a prime example of love and nurture’s difficulty in overcoming early abusive situations.

The copyrig
Deathburst
Un roman écrit en 1992 qui prédisait avec une étonnante précision les évolutions technologique qui ont eu lieu depuis. Les détails techniques sont justes, ou au moins crédibles pour les domaines où je ne suis pas moi-même compétent. À part cette surprise, et quelques réflexions intéressantes mais pas révolutionnaire sur la nature de l'intelligence et de l'esprit (humain ou non), on a là un bon roman d'action à l'américaine, plein de clichés et sans véritable originalité.
Intéressant d'un point de
David
Feb 18, 2009 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-1993
In 1993, this was my favorite book. It would be interesting to re-read it now.
Leonardo Etcheto
Aug 31, 2012 Leonardo Etcheto rated it liked it
A strange blend on optimism, paranoia and thriller. I always find it fascinating how in some novels, there is not a single “normal” person in the whole book. Here everyone is very driven, emotionally damaged, highly inflexible or all three. Some of the passages get really technical, to the detriment of the story flow in my opinion, especially all the gee-whiz brain surgery/computer implant stuff.
The basic idea: a leading edge AI researcher gets all his research stolen and is almost killed in th
Richp
Jul 05, 2015 Richp rated it really liked it
This book really clicked with me, and over a holiday weekend I polished off within 26 hours, and that is with my reading speed far slower than it was 40 years ago. It fits into the genres of science fiction, crime thriller, and spy thriller. It is the best of the thriller novels I've read lately, and doesn't do too badly as SF. (I am not that much into thriller, much more into SF and slower paced crime fiction.)
Katie
Jan 12, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
Hmmmm. Half of me really liked this book, it's always great when hard sci fi books have some heart. This book did a great job of getting you into the characters. It was to long though, very redundant. Half of this book could have been snipped and been better for it. That being said, even having been written in the 90's it had some great and creative ideas.
Loring
Jul 21, 2013 Loring rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Robert A. Heinlein wrote many great science fiction stories that are still enjoyable now, decades after they were written and in some cases, decades after the stories take place. In some cases, the technology in these stories is quite dated, but the stories are still interesting despite that because of their plot, characters, and ideas.

On the other hand, the technology in this book is very dated, but the plot, characters, ideas, and writing don't make up for it. It doesn't help that the story de
G.D. Tinnams
May 21, 2014 G.D. Tinnams rated it really liked it
Very clever in the way the main character changes because of a brain injury and how he is put back together by science, which I'm assuming is accurate. It's definitely interesting and leaves the reader to draw their own conclusion about the value of humanity.
Sean Randall
Mar 19, 2009 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
This is quite a brilliant story - of regrowing, relearning, rediscovering. The basic plot is that a brilliant scientist survives an attempted murder, but with portions of his brain severely damaged. He's been working on artificial intelligence, though; so all is not truly lost.

The storytelling is gripping and the technology fascinating. the ending is quite different than what I expected - throughout the novel modern technology is portrayed as holy beneficial, and it's not until the end that we s
Saul
May 06, 2012 Saul rated it liked it
I had problems with this book. Not sure who is to blame. Minsky or Harry Harrison. IMHO it suffers from too much attention to technology. and goes on about stuff that never went anywhere. As far as story goes, the mystery that it hopes to stir up in the beginning never did strike me as important. I don't know...maybe it's a great book and I don't get it. I'll check out other reviews and see if it's worth taking a second look.
Ted Archibald
Jan 12, 2011 Ted Archibald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard sf
Recommended to Ted by: browse used bk store CoffsHarbour NSW
This is a great book with emphasis on AI. Character development is good, might have been better. I enjoyed the technical aspects being a computer geek. The book was written i believe prior to 1991 (20 years ago) and many of the ideas are currently available and many seem to be on the way to be developed. I enjoyed and will read again, maybe in 12 months. I recommend it. 9/10.
Michael Hirsch
Apr 25, 2012 Michael Hirsch rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was pretty good. A reasonable exploration of what AI means, and what the consequences of it might be.

Marvin Minsky is one of the co-authors, so you know the science of AI is gonna be right.
Maria Susana
Aug 06, 2012 Maria Susana rated it it was amazing
Long before GSM phones and ebooks existed, Harry Harrison wrote this book. Looking backwards 20 years after I love the foresight Harry Harrison and Marvin Minsky had!
Jonathan
Jul 18, 2008 Jonathan rated it liked it
Good science fiction story of a man who becomes part robot and a robot who becomes part man...sort of recalling "I, Robot" just a little bit.
Franco
Dec 26, 2013 Franco added it
Quite fun, not a 'science fiction must read' one, but still good!
Kevin
Feb 02, 2009 Kevin rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's an interesting mix of science fact and fiction.
Teo Sartori
It reads as a lot of interesting ideas wrapped in a flimsy story.
Lauma Lapa
Oct 22, 2012 Lauma Lapa rated it really liked it
plot a little convoluted, but otherwise, a marvellous read
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Lazyreader
Lazyreader marked it as to-read
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Srinivas Thatiparthy
Srinivas Thatiparthy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Robert Steenkamp
Robert Steenkamp rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
  • Solar Flare
  • Galactic Empires 1
  • Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth (2000AD Presents)
  • Camelot 30K
  • Godspeed
  • Einstein's Bridge
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • The Search for Fierra (Empyrion, #1)
  • Teranesia
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...