Start by marking “30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow” as Want to Read:
30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow

30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow (30 Days of Night #9)

This is the third original novel based on the suspenseful and terrifying world of the comic book mythos 30 Days of Night, one of the most acclaimed horror sagas in recent years. Book Three is Steve Niles's innovative and eagerly-anticipated expansion of a nightmarish narrative that explores the nature of ancient evil existing--and thriving--in an unsuspecting modern world.
Published March 25th 2008 by IDW Publishing (first published February 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9

Paul Nelson
May 17, 2013 Paul Nelson rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Beyond Barrow is the 9th volume of the 30 days of night saga and Bill Sienkiewicz takes on the artwork which for me is a major talking point. The artwork is a mismatch of good and shockingly bad, unfortunately there isn't to much of the good. Done in the style of a vivid oil painting, which with snow falling does a good job of obscuring detail to the point where each character has to have a stand out feature to even recognise them, for example orange hair, massive red glasses or a Santa Claus ty ...more
C. Derick
Jan 30, 2016 C. Derick rated it liked it
One feels like Steve Niles conceits are running a bit thin in book and while Bill Sienkiewicz's art keeps up the tonal and expressionistic quality of the Niles and Templesmith books, it doesn't quite have the same energy. It also so atmospheric that it is hard to tell characters apart and precise action. In that sense, this book is far more style and atmosphere over plot and artistic clarity of action. In some ways, these thin plots work for a honor comic with such an established feel and settin ...more
The world at large now knows about the vampires that come to attack Barrow, Alaska during the 30 days in winter when the sun never rises. This leads to possibly the stupidest of all plot devices - the rich American tourist who comes along for the chance to hunt a vampire and who usually drags along a group of less than willing people, most of whom are going to die, because they never listen to the people who might have saved them (i.e. the locals).

While it's an exciting if predictable story in s
Feb 09, 2014 Ali rated it it was ok
Usually I love the abstract style of the art in these comics, but this one, while full of pretty colors, is almost unreadable, especially the second and third issues. The coloring in a lot of the frames made the lettering nearly impossible to read because of the high contrast. Some of the frames look like something a kid would do in art class--or snapshots of an acid trip, which would be cool, if this were a story about killer psilocybin shrooms from Hell, but it's about vampires. It's nice to, ...more
Pat Sul
Feb 25, 2013 Pat Sul rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
quite frankly i thought this was a bit pants. a story that would have just about made a decent annual is stretched to three issues. lots of 'open/ loose' art, some of which is good a lot of which is 'oh really'.
the writing is fine - but the whole 30 days of night thing is a bit stale and almost forced now.

wanted to like it, didn't quite hit the spot.
I was able to almost enjoy the first issue but by the end, I could not stomach the art. It felt lazy, splashed with color, incoherent panels. I'm all for originality but this just felt insincere, not what I've come to expect from this series, which started out so much better than this...
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Dec 19, 2009 Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) marked it as couldnt-finish
An appalling end to a series. The artwork is disgusting, the plot fails.

Incredibly disappointed.
Sep 09, 2008 Steven rated it it was ok
I do enjoy the 30 days of night line, but this wasn't the best of them.
Aug 20, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it
Beyond Barrow brings us back to, well, Barrow in the midst of the days of darkness. Kitka and Ikos return, and the curious people who venture up hoping to get good photographs of vampires - dead or alive. Needless to say, those out of towners get a heck of a lot more than they bargained for.

The writing in Beyond Barrow was fairly good, but not as compelling as previous installments (notably Return to Barrow, Eben and Stella, and 30 Days of Night itself come to mind...) but the storyline is a rat
Elh R'
Jul 23, 2014 Elh R' rated it liked it
This is better than some volumes before, but, it felt a bit empty.

The art is very original and colorful, and even remains dark. The only problem is that more of the time you don't know what is going on.

The story is not bad, but it could be serialized like a short story, or a one-shot, I don't see the point of making it last 3 issues.

So, well, I don't believe this series will get better. Anyway, I'll continue reading it.
Oct 07, 2016 Thomas rated it did not like it
I like Bill Sienkiewicz and he obviously had a bit of fun with this. But if you compare the script of issue #1 with his artwork a lot of sometimes necessary detail is missing. The story isn't very good, the characters are forgettable and the storytelling really suffers from Bill's very free approach.
Lukas Holmes
May 25, 2016 Lukas Holmes rated it did not like it
Why do I keep falling for this stuff? A new monster with no real explanation, terrible dialog and artwork that barely flows and then just turns into angry scribbling during violence.
It had a Noir look to the visional side, the read was a stellar vampire storyline.
May 04, 2009 Matthew rated it really liked it
Story was okay- but I read this for Sienkowitz- who is simply nutz. All the other artists who ever did a 30 dyas of night owe everything to him, and I was surprised to see he finally stepped up to give it a whirl. 2 pages towards the end looked a bit lazy, and he resorted to some photoshop blurring, but most of the panels are incredible and bring the horror big time.
Feb 20, 2014 Tony rated it did not like it
Picked this up because I've enjoyed most of the series and I usually like Sienkiewicz' art. Unfortunately the art is incoherent and in service of a poorly paced story with an anticlimactic ending.

I'm unsure if it's the worst of the series but it's definitely the most disappointing.
Jan 13, 2013 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Steve Niles is definitely the better writer in this series, and I LOVED the art by Bill Sienkiewicz. absolutely stunning!
Weak ending though, but the art definitely made up for it.
Mar 15, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
I enjoyed the more surrealist bent of the illustrations in this edition. Another plus was that it was a self-contained story, rather than part of the silly "vampire queen" storyline.
Jan 02, 2014 Anastasia marked it as to-read
1st ep 9/10
Mark Desrosiers
Oct 03, 2009 Mark Desrosiers rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Dull story; freaky art.
L'épisode de trop
Sidney Lock
Sidney Lock rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Jessics Oliveri
Jessics Oliveri marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Patricia marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Nadia marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Chris Dooley
Chris Dooley marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Frédéric Meurin
Frédéric Meurin rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Jim rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Sarahsnl rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Jan rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
Renato rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
  • Finder, Vol. 02: Sin-Eater 2
  • Angel: Only Human
  • Great Irish Tales of Horror: A Treasury of Fear
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 2: The Gathering
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles...

30 Days of Night (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1