30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow

30 Days of Night, Vol. 9: Beyond Barrow (30 Days of Night #9)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This is the third original novel based on the suspenseful and terrifying world of the comic book mythos 30 Days of Night, one of the most acclaimed horror sagas in recent years. Book Three is Steve Niles's innovative and eagerly-anticipated expansion of a nightmarish narrative that explores the nature of ancient evil existing--and thriving--in an unsuspecting modern world.
Published March 25th 2008 by IDW Publishing (first published February 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Days of Night, Vol. 9

Paul Nelson
Beyond Barrow is the 9th volume of the 30 days of night saga and Bill Sienkiewicz takes on the artwork which for me is a major talking point. The artwork is a mismatch of good and shockingly bad, unfortunately there isn't to much of the good. Done in the style of a vivid oil painting, which with snow falling does a good job of obscuring detail to the point where each character has to have a stand out feature to even recognise them, for example orange hair, massive red glasses or a Santa Claus ty...more
Ali
Usually I love the abstract style of the art in these comics, but this one, while full of pretty colors, is almost unreadable, especially the second and third issues. The coloring in a lot of the frames made the lettering nearly impossible to read because of the high contrast. Some of the frames look like something a kid would do in art class--or snapshots of an acid trip, which would be cool, if this were a story about killer psilocybin shrooms from Hell, but it's about vampires. It's nice to,...more
Pat Sul
quite frankly i thought this was a bit pants. a story that would have just about made a decent annual is stretched to three issues. lots of 'open/ loose' art, some of which is good a lot of which is 'oh really'.
the writing is fine - but the whole 30 days of night thing is a bit stale and almost forced now.

wanted to like it, didn't quite hit the spot.
Kathryn
I was able to almost enjoy the first issue but by the end, I could not stomach the art. It felt lazy, splashed with color, incoherent panels. I'm all for originality but this just felt insincere, not what I've come to expect from this series, which started out so much better than this...
Becca
I could barely get a quarter of the way through this volume and it is purely because of Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork. Each panel is dull, muddy and has absolutely no shape or form! The whole book is just a mess.
Katharine
Dec 19, 2009 Katharine marked it as couldnt-finish
An appalling end to a series. The artwork is disgusting, the plot fails.

Incredibly disappointed.
Steven
I do enjoy the 30 days of night line, but this wasn't the best of them.
Fox
Beyond Barrow brings us back to, well, Barrow in the midst of the days of darkness. Kitka and Ikos return, and the curious people who venture up hoping to get good photographs of vampires - dead or alive. Needless to say, those out of towners get a heck of a lot more than they bargained for.

The writing in Beyond Barrow was fairly good, but not as compelling as previous installments (notably Return to Barrow, Eben and Stella, and 30 Days of Night itself come to mind...) but the storyline is a rat...more
Elh R'
This is better than some volumes before, but, it felt a bit empty.

The art is very original and colorful, and even remains dark. The only problem is that more of the time you don't know what is going on.

The story is not bad, but it could be serialized like a short story, or a one-shot, I don't see the point of making it last 3 issues.

So, well, I don't believe this series will get better. Anyway, I'll continue reading it.
Matthew
Story was okay- but I read this for Sienkowitz- who is simply nutz. All the other artists who ever did a 30 dyas of night owe everything to him, and I was surprised to see he finally stepped up to give it a whirl. 2 pages towards the end looked a bit lazy, and he resorted to some photoshop blurring, but most of the panels are incredible and bring the horror big time.
Tony
Picked this up because I've enjoyed most of the series and I usually like Sienkiewicz' art. Unfortunately the art is incoherent and in service of a poorly paced story with an anticlimactic ending.

I'm unsure if it's the worst of the series but it's definitely the most disappointing.
Jess
Steve Niles is definitely the better writer in this series, and I LOVED the art by Bill Sienkiewicz. absolutely stunning!
Weak ending though, but the art definitely made up for it.
Peacegal
I enjoyed the more surrealist bent of the illustrations in this edition. Another plus was that it was a self-contained story, rather than part of the silly "vampire queen" storyline.
Anastasia
Sael
Sael added it
Sep 14, 2014
Slavica Skorić
Slavica Skorić is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Dominique Faught
Dominique Faught marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Nancy Hanson
Nancy Hanson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jordan Morrison
Jordan Morrison marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Kemy
Kemy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Shari Fridman
Shari Fridman marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sharren
Sharren marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Paul Kalda
Paul Kalda marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • Chronicles of Wormwood
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 4 (Zenescope)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales:  Return to Wonderland
  • Angel, Volume 2: The Crown Prince Syndrome
  • Locke & Key: Grindhouse
  • The Sandman: Gallery of Dreams
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 2: Rise of the Vampires
  • Angel: Last Angel in Hell (Volume 6)
  • Great Irish Tales of Horror: A Treasury of Fear
  • Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • Hellblazer: Good Intentions
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing...more
More about Steve Niles...
30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 30 Days of Night, Vol. 3: Return to Barrow 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days I Am Legend Rumors of the Undead (30 Days of Night)