Start by marking “Banned Books (Calling Anthony Parker #1)” as Want to Read:
Banned Books (Calling Anthony Parker #1)

Banned Books (Calling Anthony Parker #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
At St. Peter’s, an exclusive British boarding school for boys, a teacher’s word is law—and Anthony Parker is leading a rebellion. When he is found reading a book containing “questionable content,” he receives a reprimand from the headmaster. Parker responds by secretly lending questionable materials to other students, aided by his best friend and long-time crush, Rafe.

The
Published June 27th 2013 by Harmony Ink Press (first published June 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Banned Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banned Books

Omorphi by C. KennedySlaying Isidore's Dragons by C. KennedySafe by C. KennedyTales from Foster High by John  Goode151 Days by John  Goode
Harmony Ink Press
35th out of 110 books — 54 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Jungle Book by Rudyard KiplingBookstore Cat by Cindy WheelerThe Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick
books with "book" in their titles
58th out of 72 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Jun 25, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction, ya
Back to school!

This book took thirty years off my life and took me back to a time of raging hormones, rampant crushes and rebellious teenagers.

Parker is a bookworm and while reading a book during a break is asked by his teacher, Miss Lowry, what the book is about. He answers honestly and quite innocently.

"I held up the book so she could see it better. The Well of Loneliness, Miss. By Radclyffe Hall.”
“I think I might have heard of it. Refresh my memory, won’t you. What’s it about?”
“Lesbians, Mis
Susan Laine
Aug 17, 2013 Susan Laine rated it it was amazing
Parker is sitting alone on a bench at his boarding school, reading a book about lesbians. It’s not a book he particularly likes but he wants to finish it nonetheless. Who walks by but Ms. Lowry, the literature teacher, who pokes her judgmental nose into Parker’s “questionable” activities. Next thing, she wants to confiscate the book—and this is followed by a whole list of banned books.

Parker is not a rebel. His best friend, Rafe, is a prankster. To complete the triangle is Fritz, their new frien
Luke
Feb 08, 2016 Luke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
Banned Books was a good read: it had a simple premise and a cast of characters who weren't outrageous. And it was the first book written by someone who is, like me, a New Zealander that I actually enjoyed.
S.A. Starcevic
Sep 30, 2015 S.A. Starcevic rated it it was amazing
(Since it's banned books week, I figured I'd chuck this one a review. Here goes!)

It's shorter, capped at 70 pages, but it's a sweet little story that sets out to prove once and for all banning a book just makes people want to read it even more. We're shoved into St Peter's, one of those posh Hogwarts-style British boarding schools, a world of high gates, strict curfews and church spires. It's here that Anthony Parker, a well-behaved, starch-pressed student, unwittingly sparks an uprising of the
Angelica
Jan 01, 2015 Angelica rated it liked it

Plot- the plot is probably the weakest part of the book. The book 70 pages long and more of a novella than a novel. I felt it should have been longer because the story felt very bare bones and while they tie most of the ends, they still have a lot unfinished like why did miss Lowry want to ban these books? The ending also felt like there was another book after so maybe there’s going to be a sequel?

Characters- parker was an all right character. He was your typical teenager and was somewhat likeab
GayListBookReviews
Aug 02, 2013 GayListBookReviews rated it really liked it
What a fun story. I really liked that the voice sounds like an actual teenager. Young, innocent, learning who he is and what he wants in life, struggling with crushes and the complications of handling your emotions as they change and dealing with all the hormones and the confusion they lead to.

This is a great YA book. I loved that they didn’t have have these guys sleeping all over the place and doing crazy, risky things, or getting high or drunk. Those books have their place, but this felt like
multitaskingmomma
Jun 29, 2013 multitaskingmomma rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, learning, mm
4.5 Stars!

Fun, hilarious, fantastic read - a great take on Dead Poet's Society minus the dark and sometimes depressing angsts. Loved the book list too!

John Ames
Jun 24, 2013 John Ames rated it really liked it
I liked Banned Books. It was a very entertaining read and you learn a lot about books in this short little novel. Now, Banned Books stars Anthony Parker, a normal gay kid who is attending an exclusive British boarding school for boys. Everything in his life is normal and boring until he is caught reading a very controversial book by Miss Lowry.

I liked Anthony. He was smart, young, and naive. He is in love with his straight best friend, Rafe, who loves him like a little brother. I loved their rel
Pjm12
This pretty much reflects my opinion about banning books (never do it!), and explains the tricks I use to 'sell' books to boys (let them think it's sex, drugs & roll n roll), and I am so glad that librarian was up to the task (of beating that brain-adled teacher).

I wanted more smexy, even just cuddly, a bit of huggy maybe??

Guess you can't have it all.

Fun yet thoughful.

jules0623
One dimensional characters with little development throughout the story, a decent plot but it was rushed and the resolution an anticlimax, and the ending was... odd. It was like the author just stopped writing instead of actually finishing the story. I'm not sure if this is one of a series or not so perhaps that was deliberate.
Mel
Jun 27, 2013 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, p-dsp
This is a perfectly delightful book. The characters are very engaging and there are some very funny moments. Reminds me of my rebellious high school days.
Ema-Lilly Dream

SH65
SH65 added it
Mar 26, 2016
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Imogen Artmanacatsoman
Imogen Artmanacatsoman rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Tamira
Tamira marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Scott Grunthaner
Scott Grunthaner marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Maxy
Maxy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Alex Cojocaru
Alex Cojocaru marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Lori Pedersen
Lori Pedersen marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Jack
Jack added it
Jun 07, 2016
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Tim (Urges)
Tim (Urges) marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
MaryMac
MaryMac marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Calling Anthony Parker (2 books)
  • Loving Luke (Calling Anthony Parker, #2)