Start by marking “The Papa Prayer” as Want to Read:
The Papa Prayer

The Papa Prayer

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Something new and exciting happened when Dr. Larry Crabb began practicing the four steps of what the calls the PAPA prayer--a revolutionary conversational approach to talking with and enjoying God. In this book, Crabb shares his experience and encourages readers to be drawn into their own journey of prayer.
Published February 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Papa Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Papa Prayer

Jkanz
The PAPA Prayer (2006) by Larry Crabb provides a description of a method of relational prayer. Crabb, who admits early in the book, that he has written little about prayer in the past, indicated that for many Christians, prayer is often difficult. Much of our prayer is focused on ourselves or asking for requests to be filled. Crabb encourages the reader to back up and focus more upon the relationship with God. The letters in PAPA are an acronym for:

Present yourself to God without pretense.
Attend
Audrey
Having somewhat recently begun my own pilgrimage into relational prayer with God, I was eager to learn from Larry Crabb's experience. I loved this book, and although I'm a little jealous that Larry Crabb began his journey into relational prayer with God before I did, I'm so grateful for his insights and his talent of expression. I'm somewhat amused whenever writers use acrostics and/or alliteration in their writing to emphasize their points; however, in this case, the PAPA acrostic is so appropr ...more
Eric Wright
Mar 07, 2013 Eric Wright rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eric by: Freelands
Crabb takes us along on a prayer pilgrimage that leads us away from the gimme, gimme style of prayer to ones that draw us into the heart of God.

The central thesis concerns showing us that prayer is not a call first to spend our time making requests of God, but of conversing with God as He is. As Crabb points out, Jesus invites us to bring our requests to him...after we have establishing an abiding relationship with him. Prayer is primarily developing that relationship.

In this regard Crabb give
Katie
Jul 13, 2010 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone wanting a deeper relationship with God & more meaningful prayer...
Recommended to Katie by: Read after Starting Inside Out by same author
I LOVED this book.... quick read, and wonderful insight into the true nature of God, his desire to have a close relationship with us and FATHER US. I loved his descriptions of the 10 common misconceptions of God- I could relate to many of them, and some of them, when compared to the TRUE God, seemed almost laughable that we could so misunderstand God, or have such an off balanced image of him.
The outlines and descriptions of conversing with God as our Father, as a real person, were fantastic. Th
Amanda Strnad
I especially enjoyed THE PAPA PRAYER as much of it articulates the transformation of my own personal prayer life these last few years. Praying relationally and calling God, "Papa," have completely revolutionized my level of intimacy with Him and opened doors for hearing His voice like never before. Crabb beautifully and tangibly articulates a model that begins with the prayers of Jesus. His chapter, "Abandon Yourself to Holiness," addressing relational sin includes vital yet often overlooked pra ...more
Neville Ridley-smith
This is a review of the Papa Prayer - it's gonna be an awesome review!
We're going to review the book called the Papa Prayer.
First of all I'll just mention that the book is called The Papa Prayer.
BTW while I had a bagel this morning I thought of this cool thing...
But anyway, on with the review.
We are now ready to review The Papa Prayer!
Are you ready?
Let's go!
Here is the review!!!
I hated this book.

That's how I felt reading this book - "just get on with it!"
And because it was such a bad backronym,
Lisa Spidle
Awakening

This book opened my eyes to show just how selfish I have been. I agree that my "self" ish ways has kept me back from truly knowing my God.
Jeremy
I actually cranked through 90% of this in one day and then never finished it. I was really disappointed, honestly. Crabb's book Connecting changed my life and he is a distant hero of mine. However, I've been reading a lot of books on prayer lately and this one was felt surprisingly shallow. I'd recommend Prayer by Richard Foster, or The Power of Prayer by Charles Spurgeon, or A Praying Life by Paul Miller.
Lisa
Don't borrow this book - go out and buy it for yourself - and grab a highlighter while your at it. Awesome, amazing, life changing!!! The first time I looked at this book, I read it for a couple of chapters and thought - great, another "acronym" book. For some reason, I picked it up again later and devoured it. It has totally changed my prayer life and the way I look at God.
Kim
Aug 07, 2008 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kim by: my Brother
I never knew how to pray until I read this book. My prayers were few and far between. During the time of reading this book and after. My soul began to become hungry for Gods word and a relationship with Christ. I realized how much God desires for us to talk to Him, to seek Him as our Father. our Daddy, Our Papa!

Exceptional read that changed how I prayed to my Papa!
Chuck
OK. The author is considering prayer in the context of whether our relationship with God is focused our objectives or in reverence and receptiveness to God's Leadership in the relationship. It seems that the author makes very good points but doesn't offer much to address the usual frustrations with prayer that "goes unanswered."
Becky
The most challenging concept of this book is to stop before praying and identify to whom you are speaking - sometimes I fall on the floor in awe of the Rev. 4 description, othertimes, I walk with him through green pastures. For some reason his first point was the one that has stuck with me.
Clara Roberts
This book was designed to enrich ones personal prayer time. The fist half of the book was great. I need to spend more time thinking about the last part of the book. Perhaps it will be more helpful that I originally give credit.
Sue Mauersberg
I listened to the audio version of this book. Crabb's message was a good one: Many of us look at God like a vending machine. Do we ever just love God and have faith just because we do? Good food for thought.
Jeanne Gehret
One of the most honest and challenging books on prayer that I have ever read. I like it so much I’m teaching a 10-week course on it at church. Focuses on relational prayer rather than “gimme” petitionary-type prayer.
Dianna Douglass
Though Larry Crabb did not present any new concepts, I enjoyed his approach to presenting prayer in a fresh and more intimate manner with the reminder it's about our relationship with God.

April
This book will give you insight into your Loving Heavingly Father and totally revolutionize and change your realtionship and prayers- To Your Heavenly Father!! A must read for every Christian!!!
Jo Mclennan
Sep 19, 2007 Jo Mclennan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to know God better
I've been working through this book for over six months now. Larry Crab's aim to to teach people to talk to God rather than treat him as a heavenly dispensing machine. Simple idea, very challenging!
Sharon
Sep 03, 2007 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone. Because everyone needs to read this book
It has changed my life. It puts prayer and your relationship with God in such a new perspective. I'm not finished but I already have learned so much and have grown closer to God in my prayer life
Michelle
This book talks about how to develop a closer relationship to God through prayer. The author had some great points though I don't agree theologically with everything he said.
Deitra
Powerful look at a new way to prayer relationally that was eye opening but do-able and brought about a deeper intimacy with God that I love. Highly recommended!
Leo
This will change your prayers, change your relationship with Jesus and Change your life with God... there's power in praying to our Creator
Teresa Sharp
A different way of looking at prayer. Sample four day process at the end is helpful during times alone for silent retreat.
Jamie
Probably some good info buried in here, but it is so redundant I couldn't even finish it. Downright painful.
Marsha
Jun 23, 2008 Marsha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marsha by: Today's Christian Woman
Book talks about learning to pray relationally instead of petitionary prayer - good points to consider
Linda
This book had a profound impact on my prayer life.
Gayle
Redundant. Read the first chapter and you've read the book
Deborah Humphreys
A life changing book.
Dec 30, 2009 Laura is currently reading it
FABULOUS book about prayer and how you relate to God.
Kelsey Reitsma
Kelsey Reitsma is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
  • Wait for Me: Rediscovering the Joy of Purity in Romance
  • The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare
  • Strong Women, Soft Hearts: A Woman's Guide to Cultivating a Wise Heart and a Passionate Life
  • And All Through The House (87th Precinct, #46)
  • To Be Told: Know Your Story, Shape Your Future
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • A History of Christianity Volume 2: Reformation to the Present (AD 1500 - AD 1975)
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence
  • The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
19542
Dr. Larry Crabb is a well-known psychologist, conference and seminar speaker, Bible teacher, popular author, and founder/director of NewWay Ministries. In addition to various other speaking and teaching opportunities, Dr. Crabb offers a weekend conference throughout the country entitled Life on the Narrow Road and a week-long School of Spiritual Direction held in Colorado Springs, CO. He currently ...more
More about Larry Crabb...
Inside Out Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy Connecting The Silence of Adam: Becoming Men of Courage in a World of Chaos The Pressure's Off: There's a New Way to Live