Start by marking “You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs” as Want to Read:
You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs

You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs

Before Prince Charming, you will have to kiss a lot of frogs. Forty-year-old Karrie Klein is "always the bridesmaid, never the bride." She has woken up next to one too many never-gonna-commit men, and she wants more. Karrie understands the importance of finding someone to love who loves you back, but she also realizes the sheer challenge of knowing what she wants versus ac ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs

Michele
Jul 19, 2009 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little too plotless, a little too smutty, and a little too repetitive. It was rather humorous overall, but a good editor needed to come in and cut out about 1/3 of it. Of course, I fulfilled that need myself and skipped about 1/3 of it, and still felt like I fully read the book! :) It is full of chapter after chapter of bad and often funny dates and/or relationships that went bad. It really reads more like a collection of short stories because there isn't much progression by the main character ...more
Lisa Mandina
This was my latest book to keep by the big bathtub for reading while taking a bubble bath. It had some really hilarious moments. I also at first was unsure as I started reading whether it was supposed to be a memoir or was just fiction. I'm guessing from reading the "about author" part that it is based on some real stories from her life. The guys that she dates, well, some of them are just unbelievable in the way they act. The main character is Jewish, and so I enjoyed reading about the types of ...more
Jessica
Jan 25, 2014 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard for me to not enjoy a book that I read. Even ones that don't stand out to me end up getting 3 stars. This book was terrible. It starts out in "present time" on the protagonist's 45th birthday. She's single and at a wedding shower. The next chapter goes into flashback mode. Each chapter chronicles her experience with a date or boyfriend. Initially, the stories are somewhat entertaining. After awhile, it gets in to pathetic. I'm one that didn't date a lot because I had ridiculous standar ...more
Carolina
Jan 27, 2011 Carolina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had potential that it never quite lived up to. The premise was each chapter corresponded to a date/relationship. What was most disconcerting for me was the jump in tone from chapter to chapter. I couldn't figure out if the author was bitter and cynical or optimistic. Therefore, I didn't trust the author and couldn't totally get on board with her dating adventures.
Shitel
Aug 19, 2011 Shitel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got through a majority of it and decided it wasn't worth finishing.
Doris Pierce
an ex-boyfriend of my said that you would have to except they way he is to love him .That why he is my ex boyfriend . I really didn't like this to much it had some laugh in but that about all
Sharla
Jun 09, 2013 Sharla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book - it was fun delving into the world of someone else going through the trials and tribulations of dating and seemingly never landing on the "right one". I particularly liked the light-hearted and sometimes humorous tone throughout the stories. At times, it would get a little slow and not flow as easily, but overall a good read. At times, some of the writing and imagery was powerful and extremely well-written, and those moments stood out overall throughout the book.

Some of my f
Stacey
Apr 21, 2013 Stacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should have known that a book recommended by Kelly whatshername from Regis and Kathie Lee would suck. I chose it because it was the newest selection that came up on a search for "Red Dress Ink" at my library co-op. This is a (long) collection of bad romance and bad date vignettes that start with our heroine wanting to kill herself at a friend's wedding shower, and ends with her imagining the perfect life, convincing the reader it really happened, and then pulling the rug out from under and say ...more
Alicia
May 18, 2015 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's just simply too long of a book for what it is. it's in no way funny, like a Chelsea Handler book which is what i was expecting. I literally feel like it's taken years off my life. I just really wish someone had hit the big red "edit" button on this book and knocked it down to a healthy 180 pages instead of the girthy and unnecessary 443! it's a good book if you consider that you'll be stranded on a desert island for the next 6 months with no one to talk to, but barring that atrocity, i woul ...more
Libby
Sep 19, 2014 Libby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a genre I generally don't read: chick lit. However, that said, I must confess that I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The author's/Karrie's spunkiness and humor more than carried the day and I found myself chuckling over some of her experiences. There was also poignancy about her early loss of her father (the family lore was that he left to join the circus) but her mother remarried a good, solid man who to all intents and purposes was Karrie's father. In the end, she gets a dog, Charlie ...more
Lilly
May 09, 2011 Lilly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer is coming up, so I'm dusting off my lighter reads. I forgot I owned this and saw it mentioned in an article about books women should read so I pulled it off the shelf.

I'm not entirely sure why the article recommended reading a book that basically amounts to a string of someone else's bad dates -- couldn't I just reread my old journals? But it's a good, honest, writing voice with some funny vignettes. I was going to give it two stars but the fact that she nails what it's like to date as y
Gretchen
Mar 10, 2010 Gretchen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Apr 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are NOT dating
Recommended to Jennifer by: it jumped off the shelve at me
This book was a painful trip down fruitless dating lane. Karrie, the protagonist was an actress in New York (how original!) who had hot forty while managing to avoid matromony. The dating tales are funny and unbeleivable awkward! I felt for her, as she tried to find love in these pitiful men. (One man wore the same clothes all the time and ate the same thing for days on end...) In the end, she is free to be herself, and she never gives up hope. It was a nice read, not too engrossing, but uplifti ...more
Caitlin Sampsell
Apr 15, 2015 Caitlin Sampsell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy
This book was released in 2004 but it feels so much older than that. The stories were out of date with "modern" times and I just couldn't identify with Karrie Kline, a Jewish mid 40s single actress. The cover proudly boasts a review from Kelly Ripa "I never knew bad dates could be so good." Really Kelly? Very few of the "dates" we're exceptionally bad, or interesting, for that matter. And it's so long. Ugh. What a waste when it had so much potential!
Beth Blume
Dec 27, 2012 Beth Blume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an outstanding read. I did not want to finish the book as I felt that every chapter was incredibly realistic and I felt that I knew the main character, Karrie Klein. Ms. Graff writes what most of us think but rarely say. I found it to be very poignant and at the same time humorous. Her description of the dating scene should be read by both men and women. I highly recommend the book.
Leslie
Dec 11, 2013 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Often confusing as the author jumped back and forth in time. Being single I felt a kindred-ness to the main character, but it only stretched so far. I was championing an ending, preferably a happy one, but was left empty. Made me feel that the entire single male population was entirely dysfunctional and any woman would be better off alone. Character did show some growth which was good. Didn't appreciate the smut and felt it was gratuitous as it didn't move the story along.
Julie
Oct 03, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book sitting on my shelf for a few years and finally got round to reading it. May be my fault for leaving it so long, but it felt rather dated. Karrie is a mid-forties Jewish actress who goes on a series of bad dates. The problem was, they weren't all that bad, or funny. The book could also have done with being a lot shorter - it was dragging by the end.
Erika
Sep 15, 2009 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of potential but was just so-so. Some of the chapters were humorous but most were disturbing. My biggest issue was that I didn't like the heroine. I found her whiny and depressing. By the end of the book I sort of understood why she couldn't find a boyfriend. I wouldn't date her either :)
Jen Carruthers
Not my kind of book but I was interested in the relevance to my own sorry list of frogs and I picked this book up for pennies. It was entertaining, funny in parts and the ending was sensible (basically, fairytales arent real). But I dont think she should have supported the petshop industry as a solution for her loneliness.
Christina
I probably would not have read this book if I wasn't in a situation where I desperately needed something to read, and this was the only thing available to me. Still, there were some redeeming sections. The one vignette in which she gives a sort of eulogy to her stepfather was very powerful, and made me miss my own father tremendously.
Gayle
Jul 05, 2008 Gayle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK book. Good for reading after Gone With the Wind :) Writing was choppy at points, but as a single DATING person, it was funny to read some of the episodes. Light reading for a summer day.
Lori
Jul 23, 2008 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got this as a birthday present from a friend (I think she was trying to give me a hint)...it had a lot of Jewish humor (ironically, my friend is Jewish--I am not), and that's about all I remember. I read most of it while sitting on the beach one day. If you're looking for light reading with a decent storyline, let me know. This book is on the top shelf of my closet.
Beth
Apr 29, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The humor is sometimes subtle, sometimes context-based, but sometimes very funny. I did not like the way the book seemed to jump around, but if you read only one chapter in a sitting I don't think it would bother you. It was a nice break from more serious novels, and definitely validation that I'm not the only one with some crazy ex-dates! :)
Katie
May 05, 2011 Katie marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
So, everyone seems to keep telling the main character she needs a guy? And I don't know. It was basically a collection of short stories about relationships that didn't work out. I don't want to read that.
Nicki
Started this. Subject was appealing, but the antidotes failed to hook me in. As it's quite a thick book and I have some library books and bookcrossing books I need to attend to first, I have decided to move this one along. It's not terrible, if I had less to read, I'd have preserved a bit longer.
Shaun
Jun 23, 2009 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was alright (picked it up for $1 at a used bookstore). It was light easy reading, but depressing. I did like the story about her meeting Charlie. But damn, is it really hard to date right now?
Leah Randall
I can't really explain why I didn't enjoy this book - for some reason I had to pull myself kicking and screaming through it. I'm a chick lit fanatic, so I bought it expecting to love it and just found I didn't enjoy it.
Nklsweets
Jul 12, 2011 Nklsweets rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book was good. It isn't a genre I usually read, but it was in the dollar bin at the book fair. I liked the journal entry style of this book, but the main character came off as a little whiny and I couldn't relate to her.
Sherri Hunter
Jul 25, 2013 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Interesting story with a strong heroine who isn't afraid live her life on her own instead of in a man's shadow. I enjoyed the Karrie character and her willingness to take chances like moving from one coast to another and back again.
Nicole
Feb 23, 2009 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped reading this a little less than 1/2 way through. I am donating it to the used book store today. I left it for a few months & I didn't even want to think about getting back to it. It was kinda awful.
  • Loose Screws
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Joyride
  • Fourplay
  • Lost & Found
  • Slim Chance
  • 32AA
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?
  • The Not-So-Perfect Man
  • Breakfast at Stephanie's
Laurie Graff, author of the bestselling You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs (reissue 11-12) that received multiple printings here and abroad (Italy, Australia, and Amsterdam), has also written the novels Looking for Mr. Goodfrog and The Shiksa Syndrome. A contributor to Complaint Box NY Times, Live Alone and Like It, It’s A Wonderful Lie and Scenes from a Holiday, her work is included in the upcoming ...more
More about Laurie Graff...