You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs

You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  820 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Tales from the dating pond.

"It only takes one."

"There are a lot of other fish in the sea."

"Every pot has a cover."

"When it's your time, it will just happen."

Ugh!

Karrie Kline had heard it all. But her search for the perfect man had never been all that pressing until her laugh lines became more noticeable, she attended one too many bridal showers and woke up next to fa

Published January 1st 2004 by Red Dress Ink

Michele
A little too plotless, a little too smutty, and a little too repetitive. It was rather humorous overall, but a good editor needed to come in and cut out about 1/3 of it. Of course, I fulfilled that need myself and skipped about 1/3 of it, and still felt like I fully read the book! :) It is full of chapter after chapter of bad and often funny dates and/or relationships that went bad. It really reads more like a collection of short stories because there isn't much progression by the main character...more
Jessica
It's hard for me to not enjoy a book that I read. Even ones that don't stand out to me end up getting 3 stars. This book was terrible. It starts out in "present time" on the protagonist's 45th birthday. She's single and at a wedding shower. The next chapter goes into flashback mode. Each chapter chronicles her experience with a date or boyfriend. Initially, the stories are somewhat entertaining. After awhile, it gets in to pathetic. I'm one that didn't date a lot because I had ridiculous standar...more
Carolina
This book had potential that it never quite lived up to. The premise was each chapter corresponded to a date/relationship. What was most disconcerting for me was the jump in tone from chapter to chapter. I couldn't figure out if the author was bitter and cynical or optimistic. Therefore, I didn't trust the author and couldn't totally get on board with her dating adventures.
Shitel
I got through a majority of it and decided it wasn't worth finishing.
Sharla
I enjoyed this book - it was fun delving into the world of someone else going through the trials and tribulations of dating and seemingly never landing on the "right one". I particularly liked the light-hearted and sometimes humorous tone throughout the stories. At times, it would get a little slow and not flow as easily, but overall a good read. At times, some of the writing and imagery was powerful and extremely well-written, and those moments stood out overall throughout the book.

Some of my f...more
Lisa
This was my latest book to keep by the big bathtub for reading while taking a bubble bath. It had some really hilarious moments. I also at first was unsure as I started reading whether it was supposed to be a memoir or was just fiction. I'm guessing from reading the "about author" part that it is based on some real stories from her life. The guys that she dates, well, some of them are just unbelievable in the way they act. The main character is Jewish, and so I enjoyed reading about the types of...more
Gretchen
Lilly G
Summer is coming up, so I'm dusting off my lighter reads. I forgot I owned this and saw it mentioned in an article about books women should read so I pulled it off the shelf.

I'm not entirely sure why the article recommended reading a book that basically amounts to a string of someone else's bad dates -- couldn't I just reread my old journals? But it's a good, honest, writing voice with some funny vignettes. I was going to give it two stars but the fact that she nails what it's like to date as y...more
Stacey
I should have known that a book recommended by Kelly whatshername from Regis and Kathie Lee would suck. I chose it because it was the newest selection that came up on a search for "Red Dress Ink" at my library co-op. This is a (long) collection of bad romance and bad date vignettes that start with our heroine wanting to kill herself at a friend's wedding shower, and ends with her imagining the perfect life, convincing the reader it really happened, and then pulling the rug out from under and say...more
May 01, 2008 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People who are NOT dating
Recommended to Jennifer by: it jumped off the shelve at me
This book was a painful trip down fruitless dating lane. Karrie, the protagonist was an actress in New York (how original!) who had hot forty while managing to avoid matromony. The dating tales are funny and unbeleivable awkward! I felt for her, as she tried to find love in these pitiful men. (One man wore the same clothes all the time and ate the same thing for days on end...) In the end, she is free to be herself, and she never gives up hope. It was a nice read, not too engrossing, but uplifti...more
Leslie
Often confusing as the author jumped back and forth in time. Being single I felt a kindred-ness to the main character, but it only stretched so far. I was championing an ending, preferably a happy one, but was left empty. Made me feel that the entire single male population was entirely dysfunctional and any woman would be better off alone. Character did show some growth which was good. Didn't appreciate the smut and felt it was gratuitous as it didn't move the story along.
Beth Blume
This book is an outstanding read. I did not want to finish the book as I felt that every chapter was incredibly realistic and I felt that I knew the main character, Karrie Klein. Ms. Graff writes what most of us think but rarely say. I found it to be very poignant and at the same time humorous. Her description of the dating scene should be read by both men and women. I highly recommend the book.
Lori
Got this as a birthday present from a friend (I think she was trying to give me a hint)...it had a lot of Jewish humor (ironically, my friend is Jewish--I am not), and that's about all I remember. I read most of it while sitting on the beach one day. If you're looking for light reading with a decent storyline, let me know. This book is on the top shelf of my closet.
Robin
I liked it,it was kinda wired but i got through it alright. It was kinda interesting because it was the stories of the author but she just changed her name to Karrie and not Laurie. It was kinda cool that each story was a chapter about one of her boyfriends that she had and dated! And that her family is kinda pushing her to find a boyfriend and yeah so i kinda liked it.
Beth
The humor is sometimes subtle, sometimes context-based, but sometimes very funny. I did not like the way the book seemed to jump around, but if you read only one chapter in a sitting I don't think it would bother you. It was a nice break from more serious novels, and definitely validation that I'm not the only one with some crazy ex-dates! :)
Erika
This book had a lot of potential but was just so-so. Some of the chapters were humorous but most were disturbing. My biggest issue was that I didn't like the heroine. I found her whiny and depressing. By the end of the book I sort of understood why she couldn't find a boyfriend. I wouldn't date her either :)
Gayle
OK book. Good for reading after Gone With the Wind :) Writing was choppy at points, but as a single DATING person, it was funny to read some of the episodes. Light reading for a summer day.
Nicki
Started this. Subject was appealing, but the antidotes failed to hook me in. As it's quite a thick book and I have some library books and bookcrossing books I need to attend to first, I have decided to move this one along. It's not terrible, if I had less to read, I'd have preserved a bit longer.
Pearl Yshells
Ehh! She did kiss alot of frogs but she still didn't find the frog that will eventually be her prince. Okay maybe this book is not about finding your soulmate instead it's the journey thru self discovery- BULL! Sorry, reading this book was just frustrating...
Amanda Diaz
Aug 20, 2008 Amanda Diaz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all women
Recommended to Amanda by: Blanca
One of my favorite books. The perfect book for a single woman, currently dating or one that has given up on men. Very humorous. I couldn't put it down. I could relate to many of her dating adventures and couldn't wait to read the next book.
Sharal Hunter
Interesting story with a strong heroine who isn't afraid live her life on her own instead of in a man's shadow. I enjoyed the Karrie character and her willingness to take chances like moving from one coast to another and back again.
Nikki
A super quick read and wasn't bad, either. Wasn't thought provoking or intriguing, but it was just what I needed after the disaster that I read last [Jane Austen Book Club:]. Read most of it on the tread mill or elliptical. Perfect.
Nklsweets
This book was good. It isn't a genre I usually read, but it was in the dollar bin at the book fair. I liked the journal entry style of this book, but the main character came off as a little whiny and I couldn't relate to her.
Rachael
I read the first half than skipped to the last two chapters because I couldn't image the rest being any different. Could have been a fun, quick, beachy read, but 443 pages is too long for something so unengaging and monotonous.
Shaun
I thought it was alright (picked it up for $1 at a used bookstore). It was light easy reading, but depressing. I did like the story about her meeting Charlie. But damn, is it really hard to date right now?
Leah Randall
I can't really explain why I didn't enjoy this book - for some reason I had to pull myself kicking and screaming through it. I'm a chick lit fanatic, so I bought it expecting to love it and just found I didn't enjoy it.
Katie
Apr 12, 2013 Katie marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
So, everyone seems to keep telling the main character she needs a guy? And I don't know. It was basically a collection of short stories about relationships that didn't work out. I don't want to read that.
Nicole
I stopped reading this a little less than 1/2 way through. I am donating it to the used book store today. I left it for a few months & I didn't even want to think about getting back to it. It was kinda awful.
Tricia
I am almost done with this but I have to say that I absolutely love this book.,I am reading it with my sister and it is absolutely hilarious. It makes me laugh at my own situation in dating a little more.
Kelli
A cute easy read, broken into individual short story type chapters. A great beach/ vacation book. The main character, Karrie, is a struggling actress in NYC who just can't seem to get it right.
  • Loose Screws
  • Summer In The Land Of Skin (Red Dress Ink)
  • Fourplay
  • Sleeping Over
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Mafia Chic
  • Pink Slip Party
  • L.A. Woman
  • My Fake Wedding
Laurie Graff, author of the bestselling You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs (reissue 11-12) that received multiple printings here and abroad (Italy, Australia, and Amsterdam), has also written the novels Looking for Mr. Goodfrog and The Shiksa Syndrome. A contributor to Complaint Box NY Times, Live Alone and Like It, It’s A Wonderful Lie and Scenes from a Holiday, her work is included in the upcoming...more
More about Laurie Graff...
The Shiksa Syndrome: A Novel Looking for Mr. Goodfrog Scenes From A Holiday Good Frog Hunting Devi baciare un sacco di rospi