Start by marking “A Ghostly Shade of Pale” as Want to Read:
A Ghostly Shade of Pale

A Ghostly Shade of Pale

The diverse elements of a Southern Gothic nightmare converge and occupy the same stage. History files on a bygone era are ripped open and rewritten in temporal games with eternal consequences at the intersection between heaven and hell, between the visible and the Invisible.

Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics Captain Michael Parker is an unlikely player in a struggle for the s
Hardcover, First, 383 pages
Published May 23rd 2013 by Bethel Road Publications (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Ghostly Shade of Pale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ghostly Shade of Pale

Amanda
Aug 13, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I have just begun this book but it pulled me in from the start. I'm intrigued & can already tell it is going to be a most enjoyable read.
Barbra-Lee Stephen Author
Jun 13, 2013 Barbra-Lee Stephen Author rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
A fast paced, succinct thriller. Set in the Halcyon days of the late 60's - of Vietnam; free love and deadly mind altering substances. It chronicles the rise of Michael Parker, from young, earnest Drug Enforcement Agent, and his journey through the subterranean world of the drug culture; to a wiser, more cynical captain of his own team of dedicated soldiers in the war on Drugs. Temple had a long and distinguished career in this field, which no doubt provided him with ample anecdotal material for ...more
Yvonne Merritt
Jun 19, 2013 Yvonne Merritt rated it it was amazing
Great book ! The descriptions were so vivid I felt like I was there in person.
Very interesting.
I just didn't realize all the under -the- table deals existed.
Looking forward to the next two books !
Merle, you did good !
Sidna
Oct 02, 2014 Sidna rated it it was ok
Oh my! I'm at a loss as to how to describe this book. The words that come to mind are "hot mess," but almost everyone else who read it gave it 4 or 5 stars. I'm trying to figure out why they liked the book.

An older friend in Memphis is a friend of the author's mother. Several months ago my friend, who is originally from Tupelo, invited me to go to Tupelo with her to the author's book signing. She told me that he was a better writer than John Grisham, who lives nearby in Oxford, MS.

The event was
Joann Wilder
Jan 23, 2015 Joann Wilder rated it it was amazing
I was anxious to read this book, first of all, because Merle hails from my home state, and second because the book sounded like one I would enjoy.
I read, with relish, every word, wanting to learn the ending, yet not wanting it to end.
A Ghostly Shade of Pale easily garnered my five star rating, and I look forward to reading more compelling stories written by Merle Temple. Read it....you will not be disappointed! !
Ginger Oliver
Jan 26, 2015 Ginger Oliver rated it it was amazing
This book is a MUST read!! I could not put it down. The author's descriptive language is what draws you in. The book is thrilling and full of suspense. I can't wait to read the sequel, "A Rented World."
Kerry
Jun 28, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing
This is a great summer read, heck it's a great all year read. I grabs you and sucks you in and you can't put it down.
Bo Lambert
Sep 07, 2014 Bo Lambert rated it it was amazing
This book really surprised me. Not at all what I normally enjoy to read but was extremely difficult to put down. Looking forward to Rented World.
Sherry952
Sep 14, 2014 Sherry952 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! It grabs you and you're in for a wild ride! Can't put it down. Can't wait for Merle Temple's next book!
Sara Berry
Jun 19, 2013 Sara Berry rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, thrilling read! You won't want to put it down.
Ginger
In the end, I did enjoy the book. Looking at my timeline of reading it would seem as if I didn't. To be fair to the author it was personal time frame that kept me from reading. Once I truly got into reading it I enjoyed it. Very vivid descriptions. Truly felt as if you were in the scenes. Based on events from the authors service in the Bureau of Narcotics. I actually met the author at a book signing in Tupelo. He was setting up his booth. I had not heard of him yet and he spent time telling me ...more
Jan 22, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Merle Temple's first book took the South by storm. The Barnes and Noble store that serves Northeast MS., Western Alabama, and Southwest Tennessee, certified A Ghostly Shade of Pale as their all time bestselling novel. A local college just announced that they had selected it as required reading for all English students. This is a history of Mississippi and the drug wars of the 1970's. So many threads in the book dealing with the times, good intentions gone awry, corrupt politicians, the end of ...more
Dickieann Lashlee
Jan 25, 2015 Dickieann Lashlee rated it it was amazing
This book is written as literature. It is one to keep in your library after you've read it more than once. You will want to return to quote some of the passages and use quotes that Temple employs from some of the great classics. It is so vivid, and he is so descriptive in his writing and proves that the use of profanity and explicit sex is never necessary to paint images that will stay with you. His near death experiences as a drug agent will haunt you and the villain will scare you. I attended ...more
Jennifer Nanney
Dec 15, 2014 Jennifer Nanney rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a great read filled with crime-fighting, danger, corruption, organized crime, a glimpse of the supernatural - and NO vile language or sexually explicit content, then you NEED to read this book!!! It is the story of one man's journey as an agent for the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics in the 70s. Although it is fictional, it is heavily based on Merle Temple's actual experiences. The author's descriptive language will give you all you need to visualize every scene as if you ...more
Jennifer Nanney
Dec 15, 2014 Jennifer Nanney rated it it was amazing
Donna
May 27, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
This book received a 5 star rating from me; even though I could say I would have given it 10 stars if possible. It is a must read. The book was difficult to put down after I got into it. Merle Temple writes a splendid book. It kept me guessing a few times and I hoped for a great outcome. You will enjoy reading this thriller.

I received this book through the Good Reads Giveaway. I was glad that I was a winner.

Please pick this book up and add it to your list of must reads.
Johnnie
Nov 08, 2014 Johnnie rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of books, but this is the BEST book I've ever read. It helps that he is from Tupelo. I know a lot of the places he mentions, but the best part is that the story is based on things that really happened to him. It is an exciting book--filled with suspense and romance--with even a little ELVIS thrown in. You can't beat that. Merle is a master of crafting words. He is also a great guy. I have met him. You can't go wrong with this book!

Korie Trulove
Apr 10, 2015 Korie Trulove rated it it was amazing
A Ghostly Shade of Pale was definitely a thriller and kept me interested throughout the whole book. Me, being from Mississippi, I actually enjoyed the book a whole lot more than others may because I have been to the many places where the story takes place. This really made me feel like I was there. I could recommend this book to anyone! It is a very great read.
Jan Lea
Jan 24, 2015 Jan Lea rated it it was amazing
A novel that takes you back in time to the '70s. A story of good and evil; love and relationships. An incredible read that reveals the life of a man dedicated to justice, law enforcement and the desire to work "underground" to remove the bad guys. A Ghostly Shade Of Pale is a story of valor.
Jan Lea Bertrand
Will
Nov 13, 2014 Will rated it really liked it
This was a great book for me. Having followed the author on social media for a while now it is easy to see that much of the plot is taken from events in the author's life. This book was refreshing to me as it didn't follow the usual pattern of graphic violence and language. I personally am ready for the next book from Merle Temple:)
Doris Mitchell
Dec 28, 2014 Doris Mitchell rated it it was amazing
A true Southern classic - so visual I did not want to put it down! Mr. Temple has such a way with words through interesting characters and the message he wants us to absorb! So very detailed that you could almost feel Capt. Michael Parker's heart beating! A must read!
Alfredo Daniel
Oct 10, 2014 Alfredo Daniel rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Temple's riveting tale. Unlike typical novels from this genre the prose is a carefully crafted tapestry of lush and rich expression. Mr. Temple's refreshing attention to detail in his language makes for a very rare treat I heartily recommend to anyone.
James Temple
Jan 20, 2015 James Temple rated it it was amazing
Great book , great read.It will keep you intrigued ,you won't want to put it down until you have read the entire book !
Kelly Harrington
May 11, 2015 Kelly Harrington rated it really liked it
In his first novel, Merle Temple introduces the world to Michael Parker, a Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics officer with a sacred mission and a steel resolve.(SPOILERS) Michael Parker is a noble hero of old thrust into the changing cultural landscape of Mississippi in the age of free love and freer drugs. With his wholesome upbringing to shore up his courage, Parker fights the good fight. He meets truly despicable characters who are more than willing to sell their soul for the next hit or snort. ...more
Angie Moak
Angie Moak rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Robert Chrismas
Robert Chrismas rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Dallas
Dallas rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Whitney Moore
Whitney Moore rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Misty Welch
Misty Welch rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Elective Procedures (Elle Harrison Thriller, #2)
  • Shark Fin Soup
  • My Soul to Keep
  • Surgical
  • Moon Underfoot (Jake Crosby, #2)
  • Written in Dead Wax (The Vinyl Detective, #1)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Women Crime Writers: Eight Suspense Novels of the 1940s & 50s: A Library of America Boxed Set
  • Cottonwood
  • Pariah
  • Johnny Come Home
  • Slammer
  • Slow Curve on the Coquihalla (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #1)
  • The Long Division
  • Hogdoggin': The Next Chapter of the Billy Lafitte Saga (Billy Lafitte, #2)
  • Matter of Resistance
  • Shadow Season
  • Recovering Classic Evangelicalism: Applying the Wisdom and Vision of Carl F. H. Henry
Merle Temple, a native of Tupelo, Mississippi, came of age in the South in the wake of Elvis, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Vietnam War. He worked for the FBI in Washington before returning to Mississippi to earn two degrees at the University of Mississippi where he would later receive the Distinguished Alumni award.

One of the first "New Centurions," as they dubbed the first wave of college c
More about Merle Temple...