Start by marking “The Three of Us” as Want to Read:
The Three of Us

Read Book

The Three of Us (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

Ever fall head over heels in love with a guy or feel like you’d jump off a bridge for him? Well that’s Sam’s problem. It’s the first week of college and he’s following his jock of a roommate around like a puppy dog. It’s pretty pathetic and he knows it. Then he sits down next to this little nerd in his English class and things change. “The Three of Us” is a story of first ...more
Published June 13th 2013 by LMW Books

To ask other readers questions about The Three of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three of Us

Exina
The title is very misleading. It's not a polyamorous romance.

The story is about the first week in college of best friends Sam Richards and Reed Jackson. Sam meets Jeff, and falls in love with him (yes, immediately). Reed is straight by the way, so no romance between him and Sam. Though Sam mentions some secret crush on him at the beginning of the story, it is quickly forgotten. So if you expect some MMM action, it's not your story.

Otherwise see the reviews of Optimist King's Wench and Heather.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Dec 02, 2013 Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion rated it did not like it
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion by: Eepa *mm loving bookworm*
O.M.G.... so painful

I really should’ve DNF’d this thing. Why didn't I? This &^%$#* Gang Bang Challenge!

I hate the protagonist, Sam. He’s an asshat. Excuse me, a pithy, manipulative, selfish, conceited, juvenile, impulsive, vapid, melodramatic asshat. Or in the parlance of a 5 yr old, he’s a meanie. Here are just a few winners from him:

“Fucking right I’m a man. I got a big dick, low-hanging balls, a tight bubble butt and an amazing swimmer’s build. Not to mention a winning personality.”

*I beg
Jane A
Jun 14, 2013 Jane A rated it it was ok
I uh didn't really like this one =/ It might've been me, but I just felt it was all way too much that happened in 2 days. There were too many characters, and I felt the events were kind of vague. I don't understand how anyone could fall in love with someone else in one day.
This story made me think of a Chinese firecracker...background-character-character-event-event-character-character-character-event-event-character-event....and then in the end BOOMmajoreventcharacterbreakdownlovehappyendingDO
Elizabetta
Jun 12, 2013 Elizabetta rated it really liked it

I really like Sam’s voice in this story, he’s fresh and bratty and fun. I like the author's clear, clean writing, avoiding many of the cliche’s so often found in this genre. This is not about a menage. This is a story about family and friendship and how important that is when one is away from home for the first time. Sam and Reed are already childhood BFF’s and they welcome Jeff into their friendship too. The guys learn a lot about life in their first week of college. I’ll definitely be
Debra
There was a lot going on here and it got a bit muddled, but I was surprised in the direction the story went. I did love the interactions between Sam and Jeff though.
Tina
Jun 24, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it

This is a quick read from the LHNB M/M writing event.

A cute story about three young men. It went in a different direction than I expected, but I enjoyed it. Thank you, Stephen. :)
Mercedes
Jun 27, 2013 Mercedes rated it really liked it

There's a lot of funny freshman college drama in this story. And it even had dragons! It made me chuckle a LOT!
Camille
Nov 24, 2013 Camille rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m-rom-erotica, free
DNF. Ridiculous, unrealistic, implausible, and badly written.
Heather
Mar 24, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, lhnb
LHNB- 23,569
2 star read for me.
(Although I do appreciate the author taking his time to write this. It just didn't work for me.)

What in the heck did I just read??
I'm sitting here trying to think back. I literally just finished this book.
So I'll say the first thing that comes to mind.

Wait for it. WHAT-THE-HECK?? Yup. That's it.

Way way way too much going on. What was up with all the gay uncles!?? There was like a trope of them hanging around with these college freshmen.

Jeff, oh Jeff. So mental
Macky
Hard to categorise this because its quite quirky but I like quirky so I found myself quite taken with it even though its completely different to what I expected. There are a lot of characters to take on board and at the end there are a few threads that felt like they'd been left unfinished but despite that I really, really enjoyed it. It seems that theres another Bennett bay short story by Stephen del Mar, will definitely check it out. Another enjoyable LHNB freebie. Nice.
Sunny
A lot of secondary characters and back story for a short story, and it went in a different direction than I expected, but I really enjoyed it. Sam was a fun character and his interactions with Jeff were entertaining.
Katie
This was an awesome addicting read & it's free! I am going to have a little look-see at what else is out there from this author :)
Furio
Aug 04, 2013 Furio rated it liked it
I think I must agree with some of the other reviewers about this shortish M/M novella.

There is a good story in here but the author simply crams too many events and too many characters into it. I get it that his point was exactly this, describing the frenzied first days of college for Sam, but if the timeline could have been the same, with the plot forced into a couple of days, then at least the number of pages should have been increased.

The pages being as few as they are, all characters except S
Jeanne 'Divinae'
Jul 08, 2013 Jeanne 'Divinae' rated it really liked it
Shelves: yaoi-m-m, free-read
Well, I am for one happy there wasn't a ménage. It would have totally ruined it for me. No questions asked. I must say I really didn't like Reed until the very end and he then grew on me a little. But throughout most of it I felt he was a selfish jackass who didn't deserve to be called a friend, let alone best, of Sammy. I felt so bad for Sam, having a crush on Reed all that time and Reed treated him in that manner. I am happy though, that Sam met someone.

I thought it was pretty fast pace for Sa
♥♥Deborah♥♥ Is A Brian Kinney Groupie
3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this story, I just had some issues - which are very common for me with short stories.

As others have stated, there was just too much storyline for such a short story. It had a lot of room for character development, rather than just background info thrown out as information.

Jeff was such a sweet guy and I would have loved to have more of a romance - especially for his first time. Then to just throw in a rape, didn't make sense. All of this happened in a week.

One of my
Annika
I'm not sure what I'm thinking about this one. It's a very complex story and while I appreciate this very much I think compressing it into a week and a short story didn't do the story justice. It was difficult with so many different characters introduced in a very short time frame, there were some time leaps I would have rather liked to be filled and the sudden falling in love didn't feel real. I also couldn't feel the spark between sam and Jeff, no chemistry for me there, there was more between ...more
Sandra
Short story about Chris, his best het friend Reed and their first week at college. Chris wants Reed, but then meets Jeff and falls head over heels. Story should come with trigger warnings as it includes mentions of forced fellatio and attempted murder.

Told entirely from Chris' POV, it captures the male teenager's voice very well, including the confusion and angst as well as the stresses of starting out at college. With the help of a bunch of supporting cast members, Chris does get his HFN.

Free
Izzah Zulaikha
Jun 20, 2013 Izzah Zulaikha rated it it was amazing
... Why is it so short? T.T
This story deserves to be longgggggg xD
Hahahahaha, but seriously, LOVE this!
I was all like internally kicking Reed for not noticing Sam but when Jeff entered i was all messed up because i don't know which to pick >_<
I thought it'll be a threesome but am glad it's not xD
And when Randy got in i thought he might be the third guy not Reed *O*
Well, to summarize, this story made me all messed up xD
And now, i'm just hoping that Reed and Randy will hook up >:D
Mwueheh
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

Ohmygod... this pic is SO effen CUTE!
Steph
Jun 22, 2013 Steph rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I like the writing, characters, and story. The reasons I didn't give it a solid 4 stars are (1) confusion over Jacklyn's role, (2) can't figure out if Reed is really straight or if he's bi, (3) sometimes I felt like I was in information/character overload and sometimes I felt details or explanations were too vague. All in all this book a good and info-packed introduction to what I hope will be a long and wonderful series.
Chris Cox
Aug 05, 2013 Chris Cox rated it liked it
The fast pace of this story certainly kept me reading to the end. The school atmosphere was fun--and I thought I had gone to a party school!--until the story took a grim turn. No spoilers here, though. With so many characters and so much going on, I would really love to see an expanded version of this story.
K
Jun 13, 2013 K rated it liked it
Shelves: dritc
LHNB story released 13.6.13
Interesting story about a group of college students at the start of an academic year. I got a little confused by the sheer number of characters outside of the main trio, the potential girlfriend and the villain of the piece, but it all turned out well in the end.
Victoria
Apr 18, 2015 Victoria rated it really liked it
3.5 - Nice interpretation of the photo. Thank you Stephen del Mar for donating your story, your time and your talent.
Vivian
Jun 14, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
Hot college mystery that's a terrible tease. Now the author has to write more because there are too many unanswered questions.
Ery
Jun 24, 2013 Ery rated it liked it
Kind of high-drama. Included several things I dislike, but apparently I'm contrary, cause I liked this one.

*looks around covertly and shrugs*
Carole-Ann
Jul 15, 2013 Carole-Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-yummies
Definitely a yummy story which needs MORE! Please!!!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jun 13, 2013 Mandy*reads obsessively* marked it as to-read
Shelves: m-m-m, free, lhnb
Oh this sounds like my kind of story.
Arlyn
I realize that I'm in the minority by awarding this book 5 stars. Now, to be fair, the book had some issues and got off to a rocky start for me. The high rating did not come easily and was not a foregone conclusion until the last 20% of the book.

First of all, this book is not a menage read. I just want to put that out there so that readers know that up front & won't expect that relationship dynamic to come up at any point in the story. It has several menage tags and those tags are erroneous.
April
Jul 08, 2013 April rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. Yes, I did wonder if there was going to be a threesome at some point, since there was so much that pointed to it, but it was different and acceptable that this didn't pan out.

Loved the characters and secondary characters, and the location-as-character. Sam definitely had a strong, quirky voice. I suppose that being a late-teen with all those hormones and yearning after his straight best friend could mess with him! He obviously wasn't thinking right, most of the time. Plus
Love Bytes Reviews
Feb 18, 2015 Love Bytes Reviews rated it really liked it
4 star review by Dan

Another fantastic story in the Bennett Bay series! I really enjoyed how this story tied characters together from the other short stories, as well as some of the characters from “Dark Love”. Sam has just started college at Sterling College in Bennett Bay. He has been crushing on his best friend Reed for 6 years, even though the best friend is straight.

What will happen when Sam discovers something is odd between Reed and Fox Sterling, the mayor’s son? Why does Fox keep looking
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Great Catch
  • Jackson's Law
  • Ass Over Teacup
  • Life Drawing
  • Sticking It
  • Lost Time
  • Playing for Keeps (Unshakable, #1)
  • Silver Ice
  • The Touch Of Hope
  • The Field of Someone Else's Dreams (Saugatuck, #0.5)
  • Forever. I Promise.
  • Off Sides
  • Triple Jump
  • The Badass Of His Dreams
  • Synchronicity
  • Pledge Number Seven
  • Merger of Equals
  • One Week
Stephen del Mar is a fresh voice in Southern Gay Fiction. His Bennett Bay collection of books and stories explore life in that unique corner of the American South known as Florida. He also writes fantasy and science-fiction. Del Mar lives in the Tampa Bay region of Florida and enjoys Key Lime Pie and mango margaritas, but not at the same time. He also finds constantly barking Chihuahuas nearly as ...more
More about Stephen del Mar...

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 688 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix