Start by marking “Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Someday Angeline, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Someday Angeline, #2)

Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Someday Angeline #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,322 ratings  ·  130 reviews
'Why did the guy eat two dead skunks for breakfast?' 'Because dead ones squeal when you stick the fork in.' Gary W. Boone knows he was born to be a stand-up comedian. It is the rest of the kids in the class who think he is a fool. Then the Floyd Hicks Junior High School Talent Show is announced, and he starts practising his routine nonstop to get it just right. Gary's sure...more
Published November 17th 2001 by Bloomsbury UK (first published September 3rd 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dogs Don't Tell Jokes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs Don't Tell Jokes

Jenny
Gary Boone, or Goon as people call him, has a problem. He doesn’t have any friends at his school, he gets teased and bullied, and he hides his low self esteem and insecurity behind a wall of never ending bad jokes. He thinks his humor is the only asset he has and yet it seems it’s what cripples him the most. He knows people don’t like his jokes and he knows it will cause more teasing but he can’t turn off his barrages of verbal diarrhea. But he thinks that by showing off his best jokes at the sc...more
nella
Just as funny and charming everytime I read it. :) Sachar's legendary wit and childlike sense of humor has you rooting for Gary through the whole novel. Charming, truly charming.
Blackmagic
Its about this boy who has this dog and one day the dog all of the sudden starts to talk.Yea thats right TALKS kind of wierd because he tells a joke and freaks the lil boy out
Tori Essex
this book was funny
Dani Butler
Feb 23, 2008 Dani Butler rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children ages (9-12)
Shelves: childhood
This book is a mix between Louis Sachar's other works: There's a boy in the girls' bathroom and [Sideways stories from Wayside School]. Again from memory, it wasn't as serious as There's a boy in the girl's bathroom and it's nowhere near the realm of Wackiness that is present in the Wayside School series. This book is about a kid who tells jokes but very few people think he is funny. Like There's a boy in the girl's bathroom, the character is likeable and realistic and easy to relant to for ma...more
Karen

This book is about a boy called Gary W. Boone that wants be a comedian when he grows up. He always tell jokes to his classmates, so everyone are calling him GOON. However, there is a talent show, and that is the time that Gary can show his talent to everyone, and proves that he is not a goon. But Gary can not imagine that the talent show list does not have his name on it, so he can not be on the talent show. However, he still goes up, and makes everyone laugh. I think I should learn from him, I...more
Verena
Gary Boone (people call him Goon) has a habit of turning everything into a joke. He can never be taken seriously, and people who are near him will never be taken seriously by him. He thinks he has a good talent, of making jokes, so he signs up for the school's talent competition and gears up for his first stand-up comedy show.

Egs of his jokes:
Do you feel like an egg this morning?
I don't know. How does an egg feel?
Just call me Humpty Dumpty.
Yes. You better not drop me. I might crack.

Was expe...more
Tween Reader
I like a lot of kinds of books but I usually don’t love light, funny books like I loved DOGS DON’T TELL JOKES by Louis Sachar. The main character, 12-year-old Gary Boone is funny. At least he thinks so. He decides that if he tells jokes in the talent show, people will realize that he does have a talent. But things aren’t easy. Gary has his share of frustration, teasing, and school trouble. Maybe he should quit . . .
This book was hilarious, like most writing by Louis Sachar. It teaches to follo...more
Julie Decker
Gary can't stop telling jokes. They just come out of his mouth. And hey, there's nothing wrong with being a class clown, though it's a little depressing when jokes are your whole life and yet nobody really thinks the jokes are funny. Gary can't seem to connect with others, but he's convinced people will respect him more if he wins the talent show as a comedian. But what if no one wants to give him a chance? How can he be expected to put such an important part of him on the shelf . . . and what w...more
Katelyn
I love pretty much anything by Louis Sachar. This one is hilarious. especially the end
Jeanna
First of all, don't read this book soon after you've read Mockingbird. Otherwise you'll end up thinking this kid has some form of mild and undiagnosed autism spectrum issue. It's not just that he's weird; that's to be expected. It's that there are some things that he really just doesn't seem to get. It reminded me a lot of the character in Mockingbird because she has a hard time with idioms (is that the right word? I think so). She takes everything so literally. And there several times when this...more
Hugh Goovaerts
Dogs Don’t Tell Jokes by Louis Sachar has nothing to do with dogs. Gary W. Boone, nicknamed Goon, knows he was born to be a stand up comedian, but it’s everyone else who doubts him. Then when Gary’s school puts on a talent show, Gary is sure it’s his big break. Gary then spends all of his time making up jokes, preparing them and putting them into order. While doing all this Gary forgets about his homework and then has to catch up on everything he’s missed, giving him less time to practice for th...more
Jaina
This book is hard to pin-point an age range for. The MC wants to be a comedian, and so constantly tells sort-of funny jokes in preparation for the school talent show. I'd give this to the 11-year-old I know who loves really bad jokes, but there is also mention (in a humorous way) of a woman's long-legged-ness, and jokes about envisioning people (including said beautiful woman - who's the boy's teacher) in the shower. Because of this, no 11 year old boy should read this. So where does that put it...more
Hannah
Hmm, this book was okay but I saw some sort-of-obvious flaws in it. However, it was pretty funny and it's a nice, cute story.

First of all, I think Leslie should have been introduced earlier in the book. Gary obviously didn't know Leslie existed into the talent show. Leslie could have made a great supporting character.

Secondly, Angeline is waaaay too obsessed with Gary's jokes. Whilst everyone else doesn't even smile, she just goes on begging for jokes. It's too unrealistic.

Then there's Joe. Joe...more
ayundabs
"So'd you hear?" he asked. "They're not making pencils any longer."
"They're long enough already!"

I was on a library scanning on a bookshelf when I was attracted by the title. Picking up this book, I was surprised to find out that it was written by Louis Sachar! I immediately started reading, hoping it will be as awesome as Holes (I know, when it comes to authors, I compare their different genre-d books all the time. Just check out my other reviews!).
It wasn't really as awesome as Holes, but it's...more
Andd Becker
A common childhood theme is explored: the challenge of what to do when peers laugh AT you instead of WITH you. The boy nicknamed Goon wants classmates to laugh with him, as he fancies himself a comedian. He is the penultimate joke-teller.
Trouble is, many of his jokes are unfunny. Still, he enters a talent show. Then he quits. He signs up again, and somehow, they make room for him on the program.
Something has changed. He has had an epiphany of sorts. He came to an understanding that some of hi...more
Catherine
Sep 29, 2007 Catherine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any kid
What a great little book this was! I was pleasantly surprised.

This author really does know kids and how they work. His characterization of this little guy who's obviously a bit clueless (socially speaking) reminded me of several kids I went to school with. Gary, the main character in the book, knows he doesn't fit in but just can't quite work out how to be like the rest of 'them' (thank goodness!) The bullies also reminded me of past schoolmates. =(

The whole story was engaging and witty and diff...more
Swankivy
This was kind of a lukewarm book for the talented Sachar. It's about a kid who's so obsessed with telling jokes that he doesn't realize that it's become his whole personality . . . which is especially bad if people just don't really think his jokes are funny. When his parents cook up a scheme to temporarily tempt him to stop telling jokes (in exchange for $100), he starts to realize that he hasn't formed any real relationships and doesn't know how to. Making fun of everything and making people l...more
Julia Haddad
This book is pretty good and funny it also has a good story plot. I recommend this book.
Raevyn [Hello!]
More poignant than I remember from when I read it at 7 years old.
Philippe Lhoste
J'ai relu le livre précédent avant d'attaquer celui-ci.

Il se concentre sur un personnage secondaire du premier tome : Gary Boone, qui continue à faire des blagues qui ne fait rire personne (à part son amie Angeline) et qui rêve de devenir un comique, genre stand-up.

Toujours fin, avec une intrigue progressant gentiment (pas palpitant, mais agréable), une petite morale sous-jacente (soit toi-même) mais pas assenée, et une fin douce-amère un peu surprenante.
Stef
This was funny. The author succeeds in creating a lively kid character, who is always rejected by other kids. All he wants is to become a comedian, but except for one friend who's not often there, everyone thinks his jokes are stupid and nobody supports him. It is touching and funny at the same time.
Akeim Greenland
Gary W. Boone knows he was born to be a stand-up comedian. It's the rest of the kids in his class who think he's just a goon. Then the Floyd Hicks Junior High School Talent Show is announced, and Gary starts practicing his routine nonstop. Gary is sure this will be his big break—he'll make everyone laugh and win the $100 prize. But when an outrageous surprise threatens to turn his debut into a disaster, it looks as if the biggest joke of all may be on Gary.
Ramisha
For some reason this book has been pretty important to me, it was kind of the first book I ever read on my own, without it being some kind of assignment and I remember that at the time I could really relate with Gary, he was a bit of a social outcast and did embarrassing thing without even knowing it, that was me. So it felt nice to relate to a character so strongly, I used to feel like I was the only one which ofcourse is common. But anyway, I love this book.
Kelly Wien
So far this book is very inspirational and is wonderful in my perspective. The ending is classic you have to read this book!!!!!!
Brooke
My students would recommend that any 4th grader read this book. They recommend it because it is funny, especially the part about the talent show. Gary is the main character who has girlfriend named Angeline, but he doesn't really have any other friends. We also recommend this book because Gary's talent show act hilarious. Gary does funny things like telling jokes and imagining people naked.
Joshua mclish
This reading book is absolutely amazing . I love it because I was able to understand it . I understood it enough to be able to read it . When I read this book I was blown away because this relates to me in a lot of ways . It relates to me because I try to be a comedian while I am in school but it doesn't turn out the way I want it to .That is how that book relates to me .
Rob K
I don't know what it is about Louis Sachar but I loved his books all growing up. This particular one was passed around to every boy in the 5th grade. It's about a boy who yearns to be a stand up comedian but the trouble is no one thinks he's that funny. He enters a school talent show but isn't sure how well he will do. Awesome book that has much more than laughs.
Duane
"Goon" is a comedian in waiting. He lives to make people laugh, even though he doesn't realize people are laughing at him, not with him. As the date of the school talent show nears, Goon discovers that maybe his humor isn't the only thing he has going for him. A nice read that sheds light on the life of a middle school boy's desires and struggles.
  • The Kid in the Red Jacket
  • Muggie Maggie
  • I, Houdini
  • There's a Girl in My Hammerlock
  • The 6th Grade Nickname Game
  • The Star Fisher
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • The Kid Who Ran For President (Kid President, #1)
  • Romeo and Juliet--Together (and Alive!) at Last
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • It's an Aardvark-Eat-Turtle World
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...
Holes (Holes, #1) Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1) Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2) Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) Small Steps (Holes, #2)