Start by marking “The First Fall (Incryptid, #0.07)” as Want to Read:
The First Fall (Incryptid, #0.07)

The First Fall (InCryptid 0.07)

It has been three years since the marriage of Jonathan and Frances Healy; three years since the birth of their son, Daniel, who has been the light of their lives for that entire time. And now, due to circumstances beyond their control, the family has come together to do the one thing that none of them has ever wanted to do.

They have come together to bury Daniel.

Shattered b
Published June 11th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The First Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Fall

Oct 06, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Any short story that can make me cry in only 23 pages (& I had tears in my eyes by about page 4!) has to get all the stars!

* Please note that this review does contain a spoiler but since it's something that's mentioned in the blurb I feel like it's okay to talk about it. I'm actually glad I knew what was going to happen before I started reading though as it meant I was emotionally prepared for what happened, this isn't the easiest story to read and it will definitely be a trigger warning for
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
A heartbreaking episode in the lives of the Healys. I've decided that I am never going to be in the right mood to read a story about a child's funeral and unavoidable parents' grief, so I might get it over with as soon as possible.
Aeslin mice are usually hilarious, but here even they are heartbreakingly subdued.
“The God of Early Arrivals and Earlier Departures was beloved to us. He will be forever part of the pantheon that watches over the colony from the place beyond the attic, where the che
Sass
Jun 14, 2013 Sass rated it it was amazing
When Seanan makes me cry, I give her 5 star reviews. WHY AM I REWARDING HER??

This was heartbreaking. And beautiful. And heartbreaking.
Roslyn
Jul 13, 2014 Roslyn rated it it was amazing
This one makes me wish I'd rated the other stories 4 stars or else that I could rate this one 6. There's no real plot to speak of; it's simply a beautifully nuanced account of grief. This is just so devastatingly sad (but not totally depressing for all that).
Tria
Well. Who can read Seanan killing off a character - even one we barely know - and not cry? Not this lady. Especially when that character's a toddler.

This story will tear your heart out slowly and stand - not stomp - on it until it gets squished. But I believe it does what it was meant to do, and that well and finely tuned. I am childfree by choice, which many people assume makes me a child-hater. It doesn't (though being one might make the story less painful to endure. I can't promise that).

We
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
{August 4th, 2014} THE REVIEW

3.5 stars.

No parent should ever have to bury a child.

That line has always haunted me for these kinds of stories, because no parent should ever have to bury their children. But for Fran and Jonathan, it's an unfortunate reality. Everything just haunts me in a bad way about this short story.

Asajii
good gravy this one is sad
Marjolein
Nov 20, 2016 Marjolein rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This was such a sad story! Even the mice could not lighten the mood as they grief for the God of Early Arrivals and Earlier Departures...

After the earlier foreshadowing the bad thing has come. We rejoin Jonathan and Fran as they are burying Daniel, their son. This short story is very different from the others (which are usually quite light and funny), it is not an easy read. But I thought it was a strong story and I would certainly not
Kathy Davie
Jul 26, 2015 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
It's a free short story from Seanan McGuire, 0.07 in the InCryptid urban fantasy series, and revolving around a family of renegade "monster hunters". It's 1935, seven years since Fran and Jonathan arrived in Buckley Township.

If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the InCryptid books on my website of the live-and-let-live Healys who have seen the error of their ways when it comes to huntin' down monsters.

My Take
You'll be crying in this story. Crying for their loss, crying for J
Laura Martinelli
I think I’ve got the reason why I’m not jumping up and down over the InCryptid shorts, because I like the short stories, but I don’t love them: While they’re good glimpses into the Price family and their lives, but because they’re so short, they tend to gloss over certain parts. For example, with Married in Green and The First Fall, they’re both extremely important moments in Frances and Jonathan’s lives but because I haven’t really seen their courtship or their life with Daniel, there’s not as ...more
Jenevieve
Jan 30, 2014 Jenevieve rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Check out all my reviews at My Blog

A prequel to the Incryptid series following the adventures of Jonathan and Frances Healy. In the last one, we saw their honeymoon taken a few months after the birth of their son, Daniel. In this one, we watch as they bury Daniel who was killed at only 3 years old and see if Jonathan and Frances can figure out how to make it through this together.

This was a hard read, especially as I've lost a brother recently and have my own children. It is not done gruesomely
Myndi
Jun 24, 2014 Myndi rated it really liked it
If you intend to read this short in the InCryptid world, have a box of tissues nearby. I started crying on the first page and didn't stop until I was several pages into the next short! How freaking sad?!?! So, we are still following the Healys and mostly Jonathan and Fran. And this book shows that things are not always all good. I wish that more detail was given into how the tragedy occurred, but if you're planning to read this, keep in mind we do get more detail in the next short. I knocked ...more
Erin (PT)
This one moves back more toward the vignette category and, though I think McGuire did a pretty good job at showing us Jonathan and Fran's grief over Daniel, I didn't feel like I'd seen enough of Daniel or the period of time that contains Daniel's life to have a really visceral reaction to his death. My feelings are like they'd be for any acquaintance who went through such a terrible loss; there's sadness for their sadness, for the tragedy of a life cut short, but not the gutshot, like it is when ...more
Maggie Gordon
Originally read: May 31, 2014

TEARS. And here starts the sadness. Frannie and Johnny had a baby named Daniel, but Daniel did not live long, murdered in his bed by a monster. What happens to his parents? How do they cope? In short, Frannie breaks and only the carnival sets her right again. But this is just the beginning of the trials facing the Healy family.
Darlene
Nov 03, 2013 Darlene rated it really liked it
I knew I'd have to find the appropriate time to read this story, because it's not a spoiler to say it's a traumatic tale of the aftermath of a death.

Today was the day, and it was every bit as powerful as I thought it would be. It's for fans of the Incryptid series, and wouldn't have the same impact for other readers. For fans of Incryptid, however, it's almost a "must read".
BrokenMnemonic
Nov 15, 2015 BrokenMnemonic rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
I wasn't expecting this short story, and it was a strong departure from the combination of wonder and mayhem that's made up a lot of the Incryptid shorts so far. I'm hoping that theere will be a sequel, because it feels like I really need to see the family recover afterwards, and heal as best they can.
Coyora Dokusho
Mar 06, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it really liked it
It's hard to read about something that you know has a sad ending, but it's still worth it... I just wish it could have a happy ending ;_;

Read at least (2) times

3/5/14 T_T the baby... assh*les!!!! I hope they found out eventually who paid for it and KILL THEM ALL!!!!
Nighteye
A very hard one for me to read, so much about the dead and death, but also strong in that case that Seanan wrote something like this that I feel in one way is very personal and yet so familiar to everybody; about grief and sorrow-work.
Dr susan
Aug 30, 2013 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-again
The First Fall is not a Happily Ever After story. It is not funny, cute or quirky; it is sad, painful, and real. Even in fantasy worlds there are consequences, and sometimes that price seems unbearable.
Darcy
Mar 20, 2016 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, uf, short-stories, 2016, rw
This was a sad one all around. I did like how reverent the mice were, how they wanted to do what they could. I liked that Frannie was able to get some comfort from her first family, enough to go back to her second family.
Caleb
A very sad short story, hard to read and even harder to review. I hope to never have to go through something like this in my lifetime.
Marie
Apr 01, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it
My heart hurts. It does. Wow, that was a painful one to read and probably not the one I really wanted to read right before I went to bed. Hmm.
Anita
Sep 04, 2015 Anita rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books-i-own
This is Incryptid family history - when Daniel was murdered as a 3 year old child, and the family starting to heal from that ordeal.
Ivy
May 28, 2015 Ivy rated it it was amazing
RIP Daniel. :-(. I wonder who killed him. Glad Jonathan and Fran seem to be doing better. I also wonder what Juniper meant by saying she wouldn't see Fran again.
Shayla Gibson
Nov 26, 2014 Shayla Gibson rated it it was amazing
Heart breaking - a well written, touching, and horribly depressing change from the spirited good humor of the rest of this series.
Carolin
Nov 08, 2014 Carolin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, n-o-t
Oh my, it's so sad. I cried so hard several times. It's about the ultimate grief, and how the workon getting on the road to recovery. But it's really really sad. But good.
Kathryn West
Jan 14, 2015 Kathryn West rated it it was amazing
Just an emotional journey where grief is the monster to be slain. Beautifully evocative and terribly sad. I'm glad this was a Short; my heart could not have born more....
Ronda
Apr 12, 2016 Ronda rated it really liked it
Oh my was this sad! I knew things were going to change but this surprised me... What has me wondering is what Juniper said about Fran at the end of this story...
Callie Eros
Callie Eros rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
  • Westward Weird
  • Glitter and Mayhem
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Human Tales
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.2)
  • Rivers of London: Body Work, #4
  • Proto Zoa
  • The Hook (Iron Seas, #0.6)
  • Games Creatures Play
  • The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (parasol protectorate, #0.5)
  • Driven (Otherworld Stories, #13.6)
  • Poison (Elemental Assassin, #0.1)
  • Doctor Who: The Death Pit (Time Trips)
  • The Boy Who Cast No Shadow
  • The Mammoth Book of Angels and Demons
  • Fantasy Magazine, October 2014: Women Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and
More about Seanan McGuire...

InCryptid (7 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)