Who Sank the Boat?

Who Sank the Boat?

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,559 ratings  ·  75 reviews
A cow, a pig, a donkey, a sheep and a tiny mouse go for a row, but one of them sinks the boat. Children will love finding out who is the heaviest.
Published April 16th 1996 by Puffin (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Who Sank the Boat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Sank the Boat?

Sally Todd
Who sank the boat, is one of my personal all-time favourite children’s book. The book tells the story of a cow, a donkey, a sheep, a pig and tiny little mouse who decide to go for a row in the bay. The end question being, who sank the boat? This book is illustrated beautifully throughout the story and allows children to make predictions on who they believe sank the boat. The book also uses poetry which I found to really engage the children and this gives the book a unique edge. I would highly re...more
Cruth
Book 2, Day 2 - Mini Family Classics from News Limited.

First published in 1982.
32 pages
Pamela Allen is both author and illustrator.

"Who Sank the Boat" won the Gaelyn Gordon Award in 2001, an annual award for a work of fiction by a living author, that is still in print, and is "generally recongnised as a successful, enduring children's book". Pamela Allen herself received the Margaret Mahy Award in 2004 as "a person who has made a significant contribution to the broad field of children's literatu...more
Rafiq
This is a good book which i enjoyed reading to a year 1 class, it is simple and funny. It is about a group of friends,a cow,a donkey,a sheep,a pig and a mouse. They decide to go to the river and take a ride in a boat. One by one they all get in to this unsteady boat and as they get in the boat sinks lower and lower in to the river. The boat is full and ready to sink. The mouse is the last one in line to get in, he dives in and the boat sinks. The issue here is who sank the boat.

The children had...more
Nil
The book ‘Who sank the boat’ was written by Pamela Allen in 1996. It is about a group of friends, the cow, the donkey, the sheep, the pig and the mouse, who all decide to go for a ride on a boat one sunny morning. They all get on the boat one by one, one of which sinking the boat. At the end of the story, you will find out who sank the boat as you will be in for a surprise.
This book is extremely engaging and fun as it allows children to predict on who they believe will sink the boat. It is an a...more
Connie
I bought this book for my nieces. They've asked me to read it about twice a week since then - and we have so many books, that's quite significant!

What I loved about it, more than the fact that the kid can really see how *everybody* sank the boat (very clearly illustrated), is the fact that it clearly presents a common narrative form - the most unlikely person is the one who sinks the boat.

The first time I read it, I paused to ask the older niece if she knew who sank the boat (the question is rep...more
Somerandom
Awww! I used to love this book when I was like 5 lol
Play School hosts would often read the book as I watched, listening intently.
A story about a boat, some animals and solving the mystery of just who sank the boat.
A classic that will live on for many generations.
Kathryn Sublett
Pushes students to start predicting measurements from the beginning of the book. Students are actively modifying previous predictions and generating new ones as the story is read. This book would be suitable for kindergarten through fifth. Students in kindergarten could compare the animals in the book by putting them order them based on weight after the read aloud. This book could be used as an introduction for a "Stay Afloat" lesson, using a balance scale and base ten cubes to measure objects i...more
June
Aug 02, 2014 June rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boat requests
Recommended to June by: DCPL
One of my favorites to use for a boat story time. The questions make it quite participatory. I used this at both PJ and Preschool Story Times.
Rhaynes5
Who Sank the Boat is so enjoyable for young readers! I read this book to a group of preschoolers and they really enjoyed it! Once I read the title and talked about the cover with them they immediately started making their guesses on who sank the boat. Screaming and shouting out in excitement who they thought sank the boat. Before I even opened the book the students enthusiasm ensured me that I had gained their attention. As each animal piled into boat the children anticipated who would sink the...more
Kettlestitch Press
Allen's theme of water displacement reached new heights with this perpetual favourite.
Kimberly
Great story. Reminds me of Jan Brett's The Mitten.
Paul
Another classic for children.
Kim Schneider
A cute short read. Could be used in a lesson on inferencing for younger students.
Shareena
I came up with a science activity for this book which was to bring in a plastic boat in a tub of water to class and test how many objects you could fit in the boat before it began to sink. Then they could collect data to decide why they think the boat sank and discuss the weight of all the objects once the boat sank. This could a linking on content areas by bringing in math they could measure all the objects weight and add all the objects together to find the total weight that would make the boa...more
Andria
Ok, not great...will do for story time but not a favorite.
Quynh Le
This is a funny book for students to discover the concepts of weight and balance and the difference between a heavy object and a light object. Students can also make predictions as to which animals they think "sank the boat." In class, students can work with a balancer and have fun with an activity where they'll weight different objects against one another and test to see which objects will cause a boat-like structure they made to sink.
Evan
Do you know who sank the boat? Young listeners love trying to guess who could have sank the boat. Simple, short and mostly rhyming text accompanies the large and whimsical watercolor illustrations. It's always interesting to see who figures out that it will be the tiny little mouse that ends up sinking the boat. I never give the answer away until the end, but I love seeing that deductive reasoning at work!
Chloe Jackson
Who Sank the Boat? is an adorable rhyming book that talks about weight with children. As different animals board the boat the children are asked which animal is going to sink the boat if a goat or a cow get on the boat for example. Children will love this book because it is like a game for children by guessing which animal will sink the boat. I would recommend this book for pre-k or kindergarten children.
Sharon
This book was read at my youngest childs class story time, it was quite amusing, as most kids had read this book, or had it read to them, so each time the question was posed, all the kids said the answer.

Really simple, sweet story, has a cute and funny ending, and I love the drawings of all the animals as they get into the boat.
Manon Nightingale
This would be a great book for reception/year one for a science topic based on water. Lots of animals from large to small get into a rowing boat without sinking it, until the last one gets in...Would be great for talking about forces, objects that float or sink and lead on to some fun practical sessions. It was also a favourite with my daughter.
This small volume challenges our assumptions. As a line of animals get ready to board a rowboat, we're asked which one will tip it over. Will it be the cow, the donkey, the sheep, the pig, or the mouse? A new rhyme each time the question is posed keeps the tale from becoming stale.

This would be good for a primary grades unit on sink/float.
Samantha
A beautiful little book that I remember reading in kindergarten and early on in primary school, it still brings a smile to my face when I sell it to customers at work.
It's one of those books I love seeing kids enjoy today, in a world where iPads are killing kids love for traditional picture books.
Janet Chen
This is a great book to read to your class when you are talking about things that sink or float. I saw it implemented actually in my pre-k placement and the students definitely understood what was going on and had so much fun with the book and later on doing an actual activity later with colored water!!!
Randi Erickson
I enjoyed this book and how it uses a boat sinking to introduce weight distrubition and balancing. I believe this book could also be used as a way to introduce and talk about word stories and the information in both the text and pictures give us important information to solve "who sank the boat."
Vivian
If time and location permit, demonstrate water displacement with a tub of water and a container that floats, adding items to show how boats can hold cargo and passengers without sinking. Plush or plastic animals that match the story characters would be best.
Lucero Hernandez
Who Sank the Boat? is a good book for measurement and predicting. The students will find themselves thinking about the animals' weight and predicting who will sink the boat. The students could then go and explore weight using a balance or a see saw.
Michael
I love this book. Can be used for literacy, math, and science. Got me thinking about how the mouse sank the boat even though he/she only weighs a pound or so. Can get children to critically analyze how the boat sank and measurement.
Princess Lulu
Who sank the boat is a brilliant book. Pamela Allen's story teaches children mathematic and scientific principles with a fun story. I've used this book in many lesson plans. Pamela Allen books never fail to impress.
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Wombat Stew
  • The Magic Hat
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • I Know a Rhino
  • Ten In The Den
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone
  • Mr. Gumpy's Outing
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • Measuring Penny
  • Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • The Wonky Donkey
Pamela Allen, born in April 1934, in Devonport, New Zealand[1] is a children's writer and illustrator. She has published over 30 picture books since 1980, when she moved to Australia. Eight of her books have been adapted for the stage by The Patch Theatre Company and performed at the Sydney Opera House. Pamela currently lives in Auckland.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_A...)
More about Pamela Allen...
Mr. Archimedes' Bath Belinda Mr McGee Mr Mcgee And The Biting Flea (Picture Puffins) Alexander's Outing