Start by marking “Who Sank the Boat?” as Want to Read:
Who Sank the Boat?

Who Sank the Boat?

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,114 ratings  ·  88 reviews
A cow, a pig, a donkey, a sheep and a tiny mouse go for a row, but one of them sinks the boat. Children will love finding out who is the heaviest.
Published April 16th 1996 by Puffin Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Who Sank the Boat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Sank the Boat?

Sally Todd
Who sank the boat, is one of my personal all-time favourite children’s book. The book tells the story of a cow, a donkey, a sheep, a pig and tiny little mouse who decide to go for a row in the bay. The end question being, who sank the boat? This book is illustrated beautifully throughout the story and allows children to make predictions on who they believe sank the boat. The book also uses poetry which I found to really engage the children and this gives the book a unique edge. I would highly re ...more
Garrett
"Who Sank thee Boat?" by Pamela Allen is a creative children's book that relates the tale of a cow, a horse, a pig, a sheep, and a mouse and their simple journey of getting into a rowboat. However, as the title indicates, something goes wrong, and the boat sinks. The enjoyment of reading mainly comes from seeing the story unfold as first the cow, then the horse and the rest of the animals precariously perch on the small craft. Obviously, as the mouse mounts, the ship sinks. Full of fun illustrat ...more
Elise Edwards
"Who Sank the Boat" is the tale of a cow, a donkey, a sheep, a pig, and a tiny little mouse. This abnormal group of friends decide they want to go enjoy the day by going for a ride in their sail boat. There is one problem with their ride- their boat sinks! Each page of the book presents the story of one of the animals and how they might have sank the boat, but each page leaves the reader wondering who really sank the boat. The one who sinks the boat is the least likely of them all.

The full page
Cruth
Book 2, Day 2 - Mini Family Classics from News Limited.

First published in 1982.
32 pages
Pamela Allen is both author and illustrator.

"Who Sank the Boat" won the Gaelyn Gordon Award in 2001, an annual award for a work of fiction by a living author, that is still in print, and is "generally recongnised as a successful, enduring children's book". Pamela Allen herself received the Margaret Mahy Award in 2004 as "a person who has made a significant contribution to the broad field of children's literatu
Rafiq
This is a good book which i enjoyed reading to a year 1 class, it is simple and funny. It is about a group of friends,a cow,a donkey,a sheep,a pig and a mouse. They decide to go to the river and take a ride in a boat. One by one they all get in to this unsteady boat and as they get in the boat sinks lower and lower in to the river. The boat is full and ready to sink. The mouse is the last one in line to get in, he dives in and the boat sinks. The issue here is who sank the boat.

The children had
Rachel
Checked this out on the advice of my Busy Toddler, Happy Mom book. I thought it was okay. It uses rhyme and asks the reader to predict who will sink the boat, which I think could help a child be interested in the story. I suppose it could be used to introduce the concept of weight and balance, sinking and floating to a young child. My particular child (2yo) somewhat liked it. She has a thing for mice right now.
Molly Toomey
A bunch of animal friends decide to enjoy a little trip in a boat on a lovely day. As each animal gets in, the boat tips and totters, causing the reader to ask "Who will tip the boat?" Students will have great fun guessing what will happen before the story even starts, then learning who really caused the boat to sink. The illustrations are wonderful and add to the humor of the story.
Nil
The book ‘Who sank the boat’ was written by Pamela Allen in 1996. It is about a group of friends, the cow, the donkey, the sheep, the pig and the mouse, who all decide to go for a ride on a boat one sunny morning. They all get on the boat one by one, one of which sinking the boat. At the end of the story, you will find out who sank the boat as you will be in for a surprise.
This book is extremely engaging and fun as it allows children to predict on who they believe will sink the boat. It is an a
Connie
I bought this book for my nieces. They've asked me to read it about twice a week since then - and we have so many books, that's quite significant!

What I loved about it, more than the fact that the kid can really see how *everybody* sank the boat (very clearly illustrated), is the fact that it clearly presents a common narrative form - the most unlikely person is the one who sinks the boat.

The first time I read it, I paused to ask the older niece if she knew who sank the boat (the question is rep
Danielle Messer
This book has funny pictures with the illustrations of the animal’s faces in the book. It has a donkey, sheep, pig, cow, and a mouse. They all decide to get in the boat, but the book repetitively asks do you know who sank the boat? It would have the students guessing who sank it.
Somerandom
Awww! I used to love this book when I was like 5 lol
Play School hosts would often read the book as I watched, listening intently.
A story about a boat, some animals and solving the mystery of just who sank the boat.
A classic that will live on for many generations.
Nicole McGrath
I can almost recite this off by heart, it was a true favourite of mine growing up, and I had fun rereading this for YA lit at uni. Pamela Allen is a true master creating wonderful stories for children. I hope to be reading this to my own children one day.
Kathryn Sublett
Pushes students to start predicting measurements from the beginning of the book. Students are actively modifying previous predictions and generating new ones as the story is read. This book would be suitable for kindergarten through fifth. Students in kindergarten could compare the animals in the book by putting them order them based on weight after the read aloud. This book could be used as an introduction for a "Stay Afloat" lesson, using a balance scale and base ten cubes to measure objects i ...more
Angela Hutchinson
This book is about a cow, a pig, a donkey, a sheep and a mouse going for a boat ride. As each animals enters the boat the story asks if that specific animal sank the boat. Students will enjoy predicting who sank the boat in this silly book.
Elizabeth Houchen
I really enjoyed this book because of the illustrations. The book tells the story of a cow, a donkey, a sheep, a pig and tiny little mouse who decide to go for a row in the bay. The end question being, who sank the boat? All of the bigger animals get into the boat and almost tip the boat. It was funny because at the end, the tiny mouse is who sinks the boat.
June
Aug 02, 2014 June rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boat requests
Recommended to June by: DCPL
One of my favorites to use for a boat story time. The questions make it quite participatory. I used this at both PJ and Preschool Story Times.
Alicia
My 4 year olds enjoyed being actively involved in predicting the outcome of this simple, yet fun book.
Rhaynes5
Who Sank the Boat is so enjoyable for young readers! I read this book to a group of preschoolers and they really enjoyed it! Once I read the title and talked about the cover with them they immediately started making their guesses on who sank the boat. Screaming and shouting out in excitement who they thought sank the boat. Before I even opened the book the students enthusiasm ensured me that I had gained their attention. As each animal piled into boat the children anticipated who would sink the ...more
Gen
A kids classic. A group of animals go out for a row but someone sinks the boat.
Kettlestitch Press
Allen's theme of water displacement reached new heights with this perpetual favourite.
Hanna
beautiful pictures and very cute
my daughter absolutely loves this book.
Kimberly
Great story. Reminds me of Jan Brett's The Mitten.
Edacheeky
Oct 11, 2014 Edacheeky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3-6 year olds
The picture books by Pamela Allen were always enjoyable to read
Kate
Pamela Allen is just fabulous.
Abbie
Science lesson, solid vocabulary use
Paul
Another classic for children.
Kim Schneider
A cute short read. Could be used in a lesson on inferencing for younger students.
Shareena
I came up with a science activity for this book which was to bring in a plastic boat in a tub of water to class and test how many objects you could fit in the boat before it began to sink. Then they could collect data to decide why they think the boat sank and discuss the weight of all the objects once the boat sank. This could a linking on content areas by bringing in math they could measure all the objects weight and add all the objects together to find the total weight that would make the boa ...more
Quynh Le
This is a funny book for students to discover the concepts of weight and balance and the difference between a heavy object and a light object. Students can also make predictions as to which animals they think "sank the boat." In class, students can work with a balancer and have fun with an activity where they'll weight different objects against one another and test to see which objects will cause a boat-like structure they made to sink.
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • The Magic Hat
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Dirty Bertie
  • Mr. Gumpy's Outing
  • Mister Magnolia
  • The Water Hole
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Wombat Stew
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone
  • Cat and Fish
  • Ten In The Den
  • I Know a Rhino
  • Measuring Penny
  • My Little Sister Ate One Hare
Pamela Allen, born in April 1934, in Devonport, New Zealand[1] is a children's writer and illustrator. She has published over 30 picture books since 1980, when she moved to Australia. Eight of her books have been adapted for the stage by The Patch Theatre Company and performed at the Sydney Opera House. Pamela currently lives in Auckland.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_A...)
More about Pamela Allen...
Mr. Archimedes' Bath Belinda Mr McGee Mr Mcgee And The Biting Flea (Picture Puffins) Alexander's Outing